Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Caleb Clay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,239 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:11 PM

Caleb Clay

DOB: 2/15/84

Hometown: Cullman, AL

Height/Weight: 6'2" / 180

Drafted from Cullman HS

B/T: R/R

Playing in the GCL

High School Stats

Record 10-1 5 Sv 1.29 ERA 121 SO 21BB 86 IP

Alabama 5A Player of the year

Caleb Clay is a converted pitcher who rose his draft stock when he switched from outfield to pitcher. He is a right handed pitcher with a good low to mid 90s fastball, that has been said to top out at 95, that has good movement on it. He has a pretty good slider. His breaking ball actually has more of slurve action to it and is thrown around high 70s. He is still developing a change up.

#2 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,239 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

Caleb is now on the GCL Sox

Here is his wiki:

http://www.sonsofsam....php/Caleb_Clay

#3 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3,684 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

When Clay signed, he was told he would be in the GCL rotation, and start before July. He has yet to make his 2006 debut, even though there were reports like this one in late July, then on August 1, that he was set to start, but later pushed back. http://sonsofsamhorn...opic=7367&st=0#. He has yet to appear.

Today a report from the GCL has an unnamed pitcher having had Tommy John surgery.

#4 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

Today a report from the GCL has an unnamed pitcher having had Tommy John surgery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who had (or will have) TJ surgery, but I'm guessing that it's not Clay. I talked to someone down there today who mentioned him, and they didn't say anything about surgery or even there being serious health issues. As most of us know, the organization is pretty cautious with first-year arms, so it may be nothing more than mild soreness or a tired arm.

#5 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

I think it is irresponsible to speculate on an injury like this.

#6 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:05 AM

Clay said he was not able to see any action this past season because of nagging injuries, but the coaches in FLorida worked with him every day of the summer until the end of the season in August and thereafter.

“I had some minor things wrong with my arm after we got through playing in Montgomery in the state championship series,” Clay said. “And they wanted me to rest it and let it heal some before I threw in a game.

“I took a month off, then I hurt my elbow again, so they just sat me out for the season.”

While he was hurt, Clay said the coaching staff continued to work with him.

“They worked with me everyday, and even though I couldn’t do as much because of the injury, I can tell I am getting better,” Clay said.

Clay said his prospects for next year are looking positive, as he should move up in the Red Sox’ system.

“Unless something happens, I should be with the Low A team in Greenville, S.C., next year,” Clay said. “I am off until February.”

“After the season ended, we had a couple of instructional camps, and I got to meet (Red Sox manager Terry) Francona and (Red Sox general manager Theo) Epstein,” Clay said. “Then we went to American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham to do some work with my mechanics.

Source: http://www.cullmanti...=secondarystory

#7 Jack Sox

• 3,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

Clay said his prospects for next year are looking positive, as he should move up in the Red Sox’ system.

“Unless something happens, I should be with the Low A team in Greenville, S.C., next year,” Clay said. “I am off until February.”

Greenville, eh?

1. Bard
2. Johnson
3. Doubrant
4. Clay
5. Pena/Capellan

Not too bad of a rotation we have down there. However, I'd be willing to bet in light of this, Bard will be pushed up to Lancaster. Damn it I love having so many pitching prospects!

Edited by Jack Sox, 21 November 2006 - 01:27 AM.

#8 diehard24

• 535 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Greenville, eh?

1. Bard
2. Johnson
3. Doubrant
4. Clay
5. Pena/Capellan

Not too bad of a rotation we have down there. However, I'd be willing to bet in light of this, Bard will be pushed up to Lancaster. Damn it I love having so many pitching prospects!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a surprise. Not too bad at all at Greenville, even better in Lancaster, depening on if Buchholz starts there or in Portland.

I do wonder if Masterson will start in Greenville only because he's going to be starter this coming year, and he's developing a changeup (which apparently didn't need much developing in Instructs; it is supposedly already nasty). Either way, both staffs look fantastic.

#9 burstnbloom

• 982 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

That is a surprise. Not too bad at all at Greenville, even better in Lancaster, depening on if Buchholz starts there or in Portland.

I do wonder if Masterson will start in Greenville only because he's going to be starter this coming year, and he's developing a changeup (which apparently didn't need much developing in Instructs; it is supposedly already nasty). Either way, both staffs look fantastic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they will send Masterson west, both because he seems more advanced than the Sally and because hes pitched in that environment and succeeded in college.

#10 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

As my 16th favorite Simpsons character would say... YOINK! I'll run with Caleb Clay, now that he's back pitching.

Some of you may have seen THIS scout.com interview with Caleb, where he discusses his high school career, draft experience, and the elbow tendonitis that caused the Sox to shut him down last year.

He made his professional debut for the Spinners on Wednesday night, going 5 innings, giving up 1 run on 5 hits. he walked 2 and struck out 1. 4 of the hits and both walks came against left-handed hitters. Perhaps a fluke, but something to watch along his development.

If you need a refresher on Caleb, HERE is his soxprospects.com page. This is a tidbit from overthemonster.com, and THIS article is from the Lowell Sun talking about his accidental transition from the outfield to the mound.

Edit: HERE is his myspace

Edited by BUConvict, 22 June 2007 - 09:01 AM.

#11 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

Caleb went again on Monday night, getting a no-decision:

Date OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
Jun 25 @TRI 0 0 6.75 0 4.0 6 3 2 3

3 runs were given up in the first inning, with 4 hits and WP thrown in. Settled down after that and it added up to a respectable line.

YTD:

Date W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
Totals 0 0 4.00 0 9.0 11 4 4 4

#12 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

Picked up his first professional win on July 1st. 5IP, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 2Ks

YTD:

W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
1 0 3.21 0 14.0 14 5 5 6

Lefties are hitting .346 against him.

#13 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Caleb took the bump on Saturday and got a no-decision despite a solid outing.

5IP, 6H, 0ER, 1BB, 1K

YTD:

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
1 0 2.37 4 4 0 0 0 19.0 20 7 5 0 6 7 1.00 .274

Edited by BUConvict, 10 July 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#14 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

http://www.eagletrib...=secondarystory

Quick blurb from the LET on Caleb and his difficulties over the past 12 months.

#15 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

2 scoreless in his last start on the 13th, with 2 ks. however, caleb is on the DL with an elbow injury. It doesn't appear to be serious, but something to keep an eye on.

Here is a story: http://www.cullmanti...=secondarystory

“I don’t think it’s that bad of an injury,” Clay said during a phone interview Thursday afternoon. “Instead, I think it’s more of a precautionary measure by the organization.”

#16 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,443 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

Caleb Clay will go season ending Tommy John surgery later this week.

Edited by jsinger121, 31 July 2007 - 06:51 PM.

#17 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,423 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

Rotoworld confirms but cites no source.

#18 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Clay suffers season-ending injury; will have Tommy John’s surgery
By Justin Graves
[email protected]

Just after concluding a fun visit back to Cullman over the weekend, Caleb Clay was hit with bad news as soon as he arrived back in Lowell, Mass.

Already on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right elbow, the Lowell Spinner’s — the A affiliate for the Boston Red Sox — right-hander was anxiously awaiting the results from an MRI that was performed last week.

On Clay’s first day back in Lowell Monday, the former Cullman High baseball star received news he didn’t want to hear: He needs to have Tommy John’s surgery on his right elbow, which means he will be out for the remainder of the season.

“Unfortunately, I was kind of expecting it,” Clay said. “But I know that’s the best thing for me and my career.”

During Clay’s last start two weeks ago, the right-hander was pulled early in the second inning with a sore pitching elbow. According to Clay, he’s been bothered with a nagging pain in his right elbow for an extended period of time, but somehow has managed to pitch through it.

“It’s something that’s gone on for a while now,” Clay said. “It’s just kind of been a nagging pain in my pitching elbow. It’s really frustrating, but overall I know it’s for my own good.”

Clay said Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham could perform the surgery as early as this week. After that, the right-hander will fly back to Lowell where he will begin rehab immediately.

“I don’t know when they’ll do it, I just know it will be soon,” Clay said. “They could fly me out as early as tomorrow. All I know is that I’m ready to get it over with.”

Knowing that Tommy John’s surgery has become somewhat common in professional baseball during the past decade, Clay didn’t have to look very far to find some educated advice.

Clay said he’s already spoken with several different players that have had Tommy John’s surgery, and asked them what he should expect. Clay said the information he’s gathered has helped ease his mind somewhat.

“I’ve talked to a bunch of guys who’ve had Tommy John’s,” Clay said. “And everyone keeps telling me the same thing. I fully expect to come back from this. In fact, I’m kind of glad that I’m getting it out of the way now.

“After I have surgery, I’m going to work hard and get back on the field. And hopefully there won’t be anymore problems after this.”

Clay finished the season with a 1-0 record through five starts.

http://www.cullmanti..._211210346.html

Here are some photos of him pitching this season I just found on Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tags/calebclay/

Edited by SoxScout, 01 August 2007 - 08:57 AM.

#19 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

I know I'm supposed to be the one with this info, but has Caleb had his surgery yet? I've seen no sort of write-up on it... jsinger?

#20 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,443 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

I know I'm supposed to be the one with this info, but has Caleb had his surgery yet? I've seen no sort of write-up on it... jsinger?

I believe the surgery is done. When's its TJS there is no waiting. The surgery gets done so rehab can begin immediately.

#21 asphyxiation

• 981 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

I feel rather lame and even stalker-ish for this, but I can confirm that the surgery's done through Caleb's myspace. Apparently he's now in Florida rehabbing.

Link

#22 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,443 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

I believe Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery.

#23 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

I believe Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery.

He's an Alabama kid so I don't doubt it.

Hopefully everything turns out well for him. He's still very young and very projectable, wish him the best.

#24 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,861 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

I just saw that Caleb Clay made his first apperance since the surgery, throwing an inning on 8/10 in the GCL. 1 ip, 2k, 1h.

#25 BUConvict

• 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

I've been looking for info on him, great to see him back on the hill.

#26 ItOnceWasMyLife

• 1,630 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

From the far reaches of outer Mongolia, or so it seems based on this thread, Mr. Clay will be on the Salem high A roster to start 2010.

He spent all of 2009 in Greenville with a 6-7 record. See soxprospects for more.

Edited by ItOnceWasMyLife, 08 April 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#27 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

After I was talking about this guy on the Britton thread, I saw that he had a 1.26 ERA in the AFL. Is it possible to get anything out of this guy at all, or has that ship sailed?

#28 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

He throws 90, with major control issues, an ok strikeout rate, and is an extreme flyball pitchers who's already been moved to the pen.

If he isn't put on the 40-man after this year he becomes a FA.

Edited by SoxScout, 19 February 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#29 David Laurila

• 1,713 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Clay had his fastball up to 94-95 last year. According to one of the player development guys, his curveball is pretty good and "His stuff and upside are far better than what the numbers might show.”

#30 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Clay had his fastball up to 94-95 last year. According to one of the player development guys, his curveball is pretty good and "His stuff and upside are far better than what the numbers might show.”

SoxScout has already weighed in. Case Closed.

#31 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

"I had never seen him before. Pretty impressive," Beyeler said. "We had him between 91 and 94 (mph)."

http://www.onlinesen...2011-11-19.html

I probably saw him on a bad day, but he hit 91 maybe once but I don't think so, he is definitely not sitting middle 90s. Other than that, he is is still a 24 year old AA middle RP who has never had even a period of dominance in the MiL and is on the verge of becoming a free agent.

#32 David Laurila

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I probably saw him on a bad day, but he hit 91 maybe once but I don't think so, he is definitely not sitting middle 90s.

"Had his fastball up to 94-95" came from Ben Crockett. That is pretty much in line with what Beyeler said. The quote about his stuff and upside also came from Crockett.

#33 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

It'd be nice if he actually made it so there was a decision that had to be made on him in October, I just don't see how that is realistic.

#34 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

"Had his fastball up to 94-95" came from Ben Crockett. That is pretty much in line with what Beyeler said. The quote about his stuff and upside also came from Crockett.

In plain English, that means he touched 94-95 a few times but was sitting in the low 90s. Still better than topping out at 90, but let's not drink the Kool-Aid too aggressively, shall we?

#35 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Clay signed a minor league deal with the Nats. So much for that stuff and upside.

That 2006 1st round was just awesome, (27) Jason Place, (28) Daniel Bard, (39) Kris Johnson, (43) Caleb Clay

#36 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,409 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Clay signed a minor league deal with the Nats. So much for that stuff and upside.

That 2006 1st round was just awesome, (27) Jason Place, (28) Daniel Bard, (39) Kris Johnson, (43) Caleb Clay

only chris perez, Joba and colby rasmus were guys who got picked in the range who made it. the second round had Cahill, BAnderson, Masterson and john Jay. Certainly the Sox could have done better with what they had, but the 40 picks around and after these picks have yielded only a handul of major leaguers to date