Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011 Big Ten Football

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7,894 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

First, a big welcome to Nebraska, one of the great programs in college football history.

It's a new year, and this means new stories.

At Michigan, we have the search for a new coach and hopefully the end of three years of unrelenting bad news. Will Denard Robinson remain in Ann Arbor?

At Ohio State, the controversy of playing several suspended players and their promises not to bail on the team for the 2011 season while missing the first five games.

At Michigan State, keeping the faith after a great and unexpected season ended with a blood-bath against Alabama.

At Penn State, the continued mystery of how Joe Paterno even gets out of bed in the morning, let alone runs a major college football program.

At Illinois, can Ron Zook turn the corner despite the school's difficulty recruiting elite athletes?

At Iowa, can the Hawkeyes put everything together after a surprise bowl win against Missouri soon after Derrell Johnson-Koulianos was removed from the team after a drug arrest. Will other players be implicated?

At Northwestern, will Pat Fitzgerald become the new big name in college coaching?

At Minnesota, can Jerry Kill turn around a program that hit bottom last year?

At Purdue, will a presumed return to health from what seemed like a score of critical injuries mean success once again?

At Wisconsin, the sneaking suspicion that the Badgers have built a program that's going to be in BCS discussions for a long time to come.

And at Indiana, the trials and tribulations of being the only basketball school in a football conference.

#2 Morassofnegativity

• Uighurs! narm narm narm yum yum yum mmmmmm

• 5,598 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Iowa is losing Stanzi but have a decent replacements. As long as their coaching staff and philosophy stay the same they will be a good team. Good oline, good running game and solid defense. They really screwed themselves this year with a couple terrible losses at seasons end. Losing to Wisonsin, Ohio State and Arizona by a combined 14 points sucked too. That being said I would expect 8+ wins.

The Legends/Leadrers division names are stupid.

#3 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

After yesterday, the SEC has won more AP National Championships in the past five seasons than the Big Ten has won in the past fifty.

SEC: '06 Florida, '07 LSU, '08 Florida, '09 Alabama, '10 Auburn
Big Ten: '68 Ohio state, '97 Michigan, '02 Ohio State

#4 Go Big Red Sox

• 615 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

After yesterday, the SEC has won more AP National Championships in the past five seasons than the Big Ten has won in the past fifty.

SEC: '06 Florida, '07 LSU, '08 Florida, '09 Alabama, '10 Auburn
Big Ten: '68 Ohio state, '97 Michigan, '02 Ohio State

You could argue that the Big 10 has 8 - Nebraska '70, '71, '94, '95 (We count on 7/1/11).

or you could just say that Nebraska has as many in the past fifty seasons as the rest of the Big 10 combined. That's fun to say too.

#5 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7,894 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

What is this "National Championship" you speak about?

There's less parity in the SEC. Therefore a higher likelihood the league champion will go through undefeated and impress the voters and the committee that determines mythical champions.

The Big Ten has earned more at-large BCS berths than the SEC. That's another way to look at the same question. However, nothing solid will be decided until there is a playoff system in place.

#6 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,500 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

You could argue that the Big 10 has 8 - Nebraska '70, '71, '94, '95 (We count on 7/1/11).

or you could just say that Nebraska has as many in the past fifty seasons as the rest of the Big 10 combined. That's fun to say too.

Those four belong to the Big 8, dammit.

#7 JMDurron

• 4,401 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

There's less parity in the SEC. Therefore a higher likelihood the league champion will go through undefeated and impress the voters and the committee that determines mythical champions.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. How is 3 ranked teams in the entire conference "parity"? 3 very good to excellent teams, mind you, but it's still 3 teams. I don't think it's particularly meaningful to pull the "count da RINGZ!" crap in another conference's thread, but this response doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to reality. Is this just pom-pom waving, or do you have something to use to back this up? I don't think there is any question (aside from maybe some PAC-10 fans) that the Big Ten and SEC are the premiere NCAA Football conferences in the nation, but are you honestly trying to say that Northwestern and Illinois are more consistent threats to take down top teams than, say, Georgia, Arkansas, or Tennessee?

#8 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7,894 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

I don't think that word means what you think it means. How is 3 ranked teams in the entire conference "parity"? 3 very good to excellent teams, mind you, but it's still 3 teams. I don't think it's particularly meaningful to pull the "count da RINGZ!" crap in another conference's thread, but this response doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to reality. Is this just pom-pom waving, or do you have something to use to back this up? I don't think there is any question (aside from maybe some PAC-10 fans) that the Big Ten and SEC are the premiere NCAA Football conferences in the nation, but are you honestly trying to say that Northwestern and Illinois are more consistent threats to take down top teams than, say, Georgia, Arkansas, or Tennessee?

What it means is that a conference gets a bigger reputation than it deserves when it creates a higher percentage of champions undefeated in conference play. The SEC has had twice as many teams run the table as the Big Ten has since the BCS was created. Hence less parity. We've also had eight of the 11 teams in the Big Ten reach the BCS. The SEC has had seven of 12. Illinois and Northwestern are, actually, slightly bigger threats than Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Reasons could also include the schedule skipping three teams each year instead of two. So a higher likelihood of missing the other top teams. The Big Ten will try skipping three for a couple of years, then will add a ninth conference game by 2015. It could also include less parity in athletic spending - the SEC has three schools with an athletic budget under $50 million while the Big Ten has one.

It's not an attempt to compare the best in the SEC to the Big Ten. I agree that these are the two top conferences. I'd add the Big XII on a good day, but taking Nebraska changes the numbers. That's based on number of NFL players who went to these schools.

It's countering the insipid "Big Ten sucks" stuff we get all too much from SEC fans. Very annoying over time, and I hoped for better here. You're obviously not in that category, but I try never to make a claim I can't back up.

#9 JMDurron

• 4,401 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

What it means is that a conference gets a bigger reputation than it deserves when it creates a higher percentage of champions undefeated in conference play. The SEC has had twice as many teams run the table as the Big Ten has since the BCS was created. Hence less parity. We've also had eight of the 11 teams in the Big Ten reach the BCS. The SEC has had seven of 12. Illinois and Northwestern are, actually, slightly bigger threats than Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Reasons could also include the schedule skipping three teams each year instead of two. So a higher likelihood of missing the other top teams. The Big Ten will try skipping three for a couple of years, then will add a ninth conference game by 2015. It could also include less parity in athletic spending - the SEC has three schools with an athletic budget under $50 million while the Big Ten has one.

It's not an attempt to compare the best in the SEC to the Big Ten. I agree that these are the two top conferences. I'd add the Big XII on a good day, but taking Nebraska changes the numbers. That's based on number of NFL players who went to these schools.

It's countering the insipid "Big Ten sucks" stuff we get all too much from SEC fans. Very annoying over time, and I hoped for better here. You're obviously not in that category, but I try never to make a claim I can't back up.

Ok, you're taking the longer-term, macro-level view, which makes it a fair comparison. I appreciate the clarification.

I believe that we should turn from this point of distinction to unite in good humor, because a Notre Dame fan is reduced to living vicariously through the SEC to smack talk Big Ten fans. :)

#10 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

First, a big welcome to Nebraska, one of the great programs in college football history.

It's a new year, and this means new stories.

At Michigan, we have the search for a new coach and hopefully the end of three years of unrelenting bad news. Will Denard Robinson remain in Ann Arbor?

At Ohio State, the controversy of playing several suspended players and their promises not to bail on the team for the 2011 season while missing the first five games.

At Michigan State, keeping the faith after a great and unexpected season ended with a blood-bath against Alabama.

At Penn State, the continued mystery of how Joe Paterno even gets out of bed in the morning, let alone runs a major college football program.

At Illinois, can Ron Zook turn the corner despite the school's difficulty recruiting elite athletes?

At Iowa, can the Hawkeyes put everything together after a surprise bowl win against Missouri soon after Derrell Johnson-Koulianos was removed from the team after a drug arrest. Will other players be implicated?

At Northwestern, will Pat Fitzgerald become the new big name in college coaching?

At Minnesota, can Jerry Kill turn around a program that hit bottom last year?

At Purdue, will a presumed return to health from what seemed like a score of critical injuries mean success once again?

At Wisconsin, the sneaking suspicion that the Badgers have built a program that's going to be in BCS discussions for a long time to come.

And at Indiana, the trials and tribulations of being the only basketball school in a football conference.

And at Nebraska, are changes in store on the offensive coaching staff? Will the offense finally find an identity and some consistency, or will the defense have to carry the team yet again? Speaking of which, how will a defense designed, recruited, and coached to stop the Big 12's spread offenses handle the adjustments necessary to succeed against Big 10 offenses? And finally, will Nebraska's brutal schedule have it's players and fans crying for mercy by the end of the season?

It's going to be a fun year.

#11 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

Ok, you're taking the longer-term, macro-level view, which makes it a fair comparison. I appreciate the clarification.

I believe that we should turn from this point of distinction to unite in good humor, because a Notre Dame fan is reduced to living vicariously through the SEC to smack talk Big Ten fans. :)

I could have pointed out Notre Dame has won more AP National Championships than the entire Big Ten over that same time span, but that would come off as too self serving.

#12 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7,894 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

We can also point out that for the Big Ten, every bowl game of significance is essentially a road game, especially in the Rose Bowl.

#13 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7,894 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

"Short term there is no plan to change," Big Ten assistant commissioner Scott Chipman told FanHouse. "They will definitely be utilized for the 2011 football season. It would be impossible to measure their sustainability without using them as they were intended to be used. But like any of our branding or marketing efforts, we will continuously review all aspects, conduct market research, and test sustainability."

Legends and Leaders it is for 2011. Guaranteed to generate plenty of national ridicule.

The names still aren't growing on me, despite Delany's guarantees.

#14 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

And if that somehow happens, what would it take to get him out of Evanston? Dude bleeds purple and might never leave.

#15 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

And at Nebraska, are changes in store on the offensive coaching staff?

Rumors flying right now that changes to the offensive coaching staff are going to be announced tomorrow or soon after. Who knows if it's true, but there's a lot of smoke on this one. If it is true, I'd expect to see Watson (OC, QB coach), Gilmore (WR coach) and possibly Cotton (OL coach) gone.

#16 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

And after more than two weeks of rumors and speculation, it's finally official. Watson, Gilmore and Sanders (DB coach, and a great one, but is resigning for "personal and family reasons") are out. RB coach Tim Beck has been promoted to OC and QB coach. Rich Fisher, recently head coach of The Rivers School, has been hired as the new WR coach. Coaching intern John Garrison has been hired as the new assistant OL coach/TE coach, a very interesting development for NU fans, to see the football program going back to the old two OL coach system that Osborne favored. Legendary NU assistant coach Ron Brown is moving from TEs to RBs.

And just to be thorough... on defense, Sanders is being replaced by Corey Raymond as DB coach, and Ross Els has been hired to replace the already departed Mike Ekeler as LB coach.

It's quite a monstrous staff shake-up after three seasons of total continuity on the coaching staff. Of the 9 assistant coaches, only three (Carl Pelini as DC, Barney Cotton as OL coach, and John Papuchis as DL/ST coach) have the same responsibilities that they did last season, and even that's not entirely true, since Cotton now has to work with an assistant OL coach, and Papuchis is taking over Gilmore's role as Recruiting Coordinator in addition to his other jobs.

Here's a link

#17 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Bumpity bump bump.

The preseason coaches poll is out.

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. LSU
5. Florida St.
6. Stanford
7. Boise St.
8. Oklahoma St.
9. Texas A&M
10. Wisconsin
11. Nebraska

12. South Carolina
13. Virginia Tech
14. Arkansas
15. TCU
16. Ohio St.
17. Michigan St.

18. Notre Dame
19. Auburn
20. Mississippi St.
21. Missouri
22. Georgia
23. Florida
24. Texas
25. Penn St.

#18 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,321 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Bumpity bump bump.

The preseason coaches poll is out.

30. Iowa
31. Northwestern
34. Michigan

#19 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,759 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:22 PM

Big news for the future as the Big Ten goes to a nine-game conference schedule starting 2017.

I'm kind of surprised, but it is a long way off

#20 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

Practice starts tomorrow morning at Nebraska. It's finally here... this is going to be an historic season.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

#21 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Joe Pa injured at practice yesterday when a player ran into him. According to ESPN's Pat Forde, the injuries are a hairline fracture to his pelvis and shoulder.

#22 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Purdue starting QB Rob Henry went down with a torn ACL in a non contact drill today. This makes the second straight year the starting QB has been lost to an ACL injury. Purdue is seriously screwed at this point.

#23 MarcSullivaFan

• 2,060 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Dude, IU is totally on the rise. Hoo hoo hoo I say to you.

#24 Infield Infidel

• 8,759 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Welcome to the Robert Marve era

#25 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Marve is still out as the donor knee from his second ACL surgery has been experiencing swelling.

#26 Infield Infidel

• 8,759 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

Marve is still out as the donor knee from his second ACL surgery has been experiencing swelling.

Oh well, then yeah you guys are headed for the basement of Lenders division or whichever one they are in.

#27 Go Big Red Sox

• 615 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

Are there any good Big Ten blogs/boards that you recommend? Being a Husker fan, we're pretty new to this. For Nebraska chatter, I prefer HuskerMax.com for Nebraska news, although the forums are not great. ESPN.com has been pretty good for news around the league itself. Any others?

And I'm pumped for this. Along with the Big Ten's network and related tie-ins, my days of going to bars or paying $40 just to see a garbage game are over.

#28 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Luckily it appears Robert Marve has been granted immunity from the Nevin Shapiro scandal by the NCAA. CBS's Dennis Dobbs writes,

If the allegations are true, by any measure Marve was guilty of accepting extra benefits while enrolled at Miami. Assuming the benefits exceeded $100, Marve should have been ineligible for at least two games according to NCAA guidelines. Extra benefits worth more than $500 would have caused him to sit for four.

Except he didn't sit, and won't -- not at Miami and not at Purdue, where he transferred following the 2008 season.

Credit card records show that Shapiro spent $1,610.51 on alcohol for Marve and at least four other Miami teammates and the other allegations don't have a clear monetary value, but it's safe to say the improper benefits exceeded $100 in value.

Notre Dame doesn't play Purdue until the fifth game of the season, but were originally scheduled to open the season in West Lafayette. I don't expect any problems beating Purdue, no matter who's under center, but if Marve were allowed to play against the Irish week one after clearly accepting over $100 in improper benefits, I would be pretty upset at the NCAA for their favorable treatment of Purdue.

#29 Infield Infidel

• 8,759 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

No offense, but an ND fan complaining about someone not getting punishment is the pot calling the kettle black.

#30 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

No offense, but an ND fan complaining about someone not getting punishment is the pot calling the kettle black.

Really? You only have to look back a decade ago to when Notre Dame became one of the few schools to commit "major" violations despite having no coaches or members of the athletic department accused of any wrongdoing. Instead a "booster" was considered a representative of the school because she once paid $25 to see the coach and players speak at a luncheon. The NCAA has certainly not been favorable to Notre Dame.

If you want to avoid punishment like Notre Dame has recently, don't commit violations or at least don't get caught.

#31 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Luckily it appears Robert Marve has been granted immunity from the Nevin Shapiro scandal by the NCAA. CBS's Dennis Dobbs writes,

Credit card records show that Shapiro spent $1,610.51 on alcohol for Marve and at least four other Miami teammates and the other allegations don't have a clear monetary value, but it's safe to say the improper benefits exceeded $100 in value.

Notre Dame doesn't play Purdue until the fifth game of the season, but were originally scheduled to open the season in West Lafayette. I don't expect any problems beating Purdue, no matter who's under center, but if Marve were allowed to play against the Irish week one after clearly accepting over $100 in improper benefits, I would be pretty upset at the NCAA for their favorable treatment of Purdue.

So how is granting Marve immunity for testimony against the U showing favoritism towards Purdue? I find it mildly amusing that a Domer is complaining about the NCAA and favoritism to begin with...

#32 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

Are there any good Big Ten blogs/boards that you recommend? Being a Husker fan, we're pretty new to this. For Nebraska chatter, I prefer HuskerMax.com for Nebraska news, although the forums are not great. ESPN.com has been pretty good for news around the league itself. Any others?

And I'm pumped for this. Along with the Big Ten's network and related tie-ins, my days of going to bars or paying $40 just to see a garbage game are over.

The Big Ten network is a godsend to me because I'm in Pac 10 land and there's no way I would see Purdue football and basketball otherwise. There's a couple of Purdue blogs out there that I like...

www.hammerandrails.com
www.boiledsports.com

I think Nebraska was the right school to add the the Big 10 mix, both academically and athletically. Hopefully there is no more expansion in the future. Two 6 team divisions makes for nice numbers.

#33 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

So how is granting Marve immunity for testimony against the U showing favoritism towards Purdue? I find it mildly amusing that a Domer is complaining about the NCAA and favoritism to begin with...

Like I said to Infield Infidel, I don't think the NCAA has shown favoritism to Notre Dame, but has actually held them to a higher standard than most other schools.

As for favoritism shown towards Robert Marve, it's quite obvious. Why did the NCAA clear Marve while Miami's quarterback Jacory Harris has been declared ineligible? Shapiro's allegations against Harris are no worse than his against Marve.

#34 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

Like I said to Infield Infidel, I don't think the NCAA has shown favoritism to Notre Dame, but has actually held them to a higher standard than most other schools.

As for favoritism shown towards Robert Marve, it's quite obvious. Why did the NCAA clear Marve while Miami's quarterback Jacory Harris has been declared ineligible? Shapiro's allegations against Harris are no worse than his against Marve.

Well, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument. Robert Marve was given limited immunity from the NCAA for his testimony against the U. Harris has been declared ineligible, but that does not mean he will necessarily miss games this year as once an athlete is declared ineligible a reinstatement process is started. Harris has not offered any testimony to the NCAA, btw. Limited immunity for Marve expires if they find that he was not completely 100% forthcoming in his admissions to the NCAA. Again, not seeing how they're showing favoritism towards Purdue with their building a case against Miami. If they really wanted to show favoritism towards Purdue, they might have started with granting a 6th season for Keith Smith due to his injury history and ACL blowout last year. BTW, Marve might not play at all this year, and he wasn't even the starting QB going in to camp.

Notre Dame is not held to a higher standard by the NCAA. The fact that they're a player in the BCS without conference affiliation and an a good but not great overall record since Lou Holtz should be a clear example of that. I'm not saying that Purdue is going to be competitive this year in football, but your attitude of "I don't expect any problems beating Purdue, no matter who's under center" is quite typical of the arrogance Notre Dame fans display despite not having won a National Championship since 1988 or being consensus ranked in the top 10 since 1993.

#35 Infield Infidel

• 8,759 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

Sorry Domer, I didn't specify, I wasn't implying NCAA violations. I was talking about Michael Floyd's arrest for drunk driving, his third alcohol-related offense since he's been at ND. He should at least have gotten a game suspension. I like Brian Kelly but he wussed out on that one.

Also, if I recall correctly, ND was in the top 10 under both Willingham's and Weis's first seasons

edit-it was Weis's second year

Edited by Infield Infidel, 26 August 2011 - 12:10 AM.

#36 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

Well, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument. Robert Marve was given limited immunity from the NCAA for his testimony against the U. Harris has been declared ineligible, but that does not mean he will necessarily miss games this year as once an athlete is declared ineligible a reinstatement process is started. Harris has not offered any testimony to the NCAA, btw. Limited immunity for Marve expires if they find that he was not completely 100% forthcoming in his admissions to the NCAA. Again, not seeing how they're showing favoritism towards Purdue with their building a case against Miami. If they really wanted to show favoritism towards Purdue, they might have started with granting a 6th season for Keith Smith due to his injury history and ACL blowout last year. BTW, Marve might not play at all this year, and he wasn't even the starting QB going in to camp.

Notre Dame is not held to a higher standard by the NCAA. The fact that they're a player in the BCS without conference affiliation and an a good but not great overall record since Lou Holtz should be a clear example of that. I'm not saying that Purdue is going to be competitive this year in football, but your attitude of "I don't expect any problems beating Purdue, no matter who's under center" is quite typical of the arrogance Notre Dame fans display despite not having won a National Championship since 1988 or being consensus ranked in the top 10 since 1993.

I'm not saying the the NCAA plays favorites with Purdue, in fact the last president was from Indiana so the opposite may be true. I'm just curious why Marve has no eligibility issue due to his immunity, while Harris has to deal with them.

Notre Dame has not been shown favoritism from the NCAA, nor the BCS, which of course is different. In fact, the criteria for Notre Dame to make a BCS game are actually stricter than they are for a non-AQ conference champion like Boise or TCU. Notre Dame receives an automatic bid if they are in the top 8 of the final BCS rankings. A non-AQ conference champion gets an automatic bid if it finishes in the top 12, or the top 16 if ranked higher than any AQ conference champion.

The statement about beating Purdue with or without Marve was not grounded in arrogance, but rather a desire to avoid making excuses. I don't want to preemptively blame the NCAA if Marve were to beat Notre Dame when I think he should be suspended. If you're going to place the arrogant Notre Dame fan label upon me now, I think the Purdue fan with an inferiority complex label equally applies.

Sorry Domer, I didn't specify, I was talking about Michael Floyd, not NCAA violations

Also, if I recall correctly, ND was in the top 10 under both Willingham's and Weis's first seasons

I think Floyd's punishment is consistent with how other teams treat offenses like his. It is somewhat of a departure to how Notre Dame athletes have been treated in the past, but not drastically so. For what it's worth the changes are coming from the academic side of the institution and are applied to all students.

I believe Yazdog8 meant to say finish the season in the top ten, which is why he used the phrase "consensus" because Notre Dame finished 2005 in the top ten in one poll and outside in the other. Notre Dame started the 2006 season #2.

#37 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Sorry Domer, I didn't specify, I wasn't implying NCAA violations. I was talking about Michael Floyd's arrest for drunk driving, his third alcohol-related offense since he's been at ND. He should at least have gotten a game suspension. I like Brian Kelly but he wussed out on that one.

In Weis' first year they were 9 in AP and 11 in Coache's Poll. Maybe the computer had them at 10 or under.

Purdue football is essentially long periods of mediocrity with occasional flashes of good. No inferiority from me, just a realization what Purdue Football is. Purdue runs an extremely tight ship. We may never be as consistently good as the Ohio $tates of the world, but you'll never see that kind of shenanigans in West Lafayette either.

Edited by Yazdog8, 26 August 2011 - 12:29 AM.

#38 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,772 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

I think Floyd's punishment is consistent with how other teams treat offenses like his. It is somewhat of a departure to how Notre Dame athletes have been treated in the past, but not drastically so. For what it's worth the changes are coming from the academic side of the institution and are applied to all students.

Just as a counterexample still the region, Michigan is requiring Darryl Stonum to miss the entire year this year (albeit as a redshirt season, rather than a true suspension). Not quite the same thing, but a heftier punishment all the same.

#39 Domer

• 2,147 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

Just as a counterexample still the region, Michigan is requiring Darryl Stonum to miss the entire year this year (albeit as a redshirt season, rather than a true suspension). Not quite the same thing, but a heftier punishment all the same.

It was also Stonum's second DUI at Michigan. Rodriguez suspended him one game in 2008 for his first offense. On the other hand Floyd's previous alcohol violations were for underage drinking. It's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison. If Floyd committed a DUI during the season I'd expect his punishment to be different.

#40 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

So Purdue loses to a non BCS conference team yet again under Danny Hope with Rice blocking a 30 yard FG attempt as time expired. Many curious decisions by Coach Hope yet again. I just don't see more than 4 wins in the team this year. Danny Hope is officially on the hot seat now.

#41 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7,894 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

Wasn't a good day for the league. I'm shocked that Minnesota lost at home to a WAC team that was 1-11 last season (I guess the Gopher coach was even more shocked). Iowa lost a road game against a team that barely beat a I-AA team last week, though the Hawkeyes were unlucky. Nebraska looked awful against Fresno State. Toledo outgained Ohio State. Penn State didn't put up much of a fight at home against Alabama. Indiana lost at home, though the Hoosiers were a little better than I thought they would be against Virginia. And the Purdue loss at Rice, a game they did just enough to win, but had that block at the end.

Illinois and Ohio State get the spotlight next week. And Michigan State will have to prove something at Notre Dame. I'm looking forward to Washington visiting Nebraska. The Huskies are improving, wouldn't be surprised if they keep it within a touchdown.

#42 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking forward to Washington visiting Nebraska. The Huskies are improving, wouldn't be surprised if they keep it within a touchdown.

I can't remember the last time I was this unsure of the result heading into a Nebraska game. After the results of last year's two games against Washington and Nebraska's high ceiling but uneven play in this year's first two games... this could be a one score dogfight or a blowout in either direction. I have no freaking idea what to expect. Of course, I hope this is the week Nebraska puts it all together and they pound UW into the field turf, but I'm a little nervous at the moment.

#43 Yazdog8

• 3,978 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Safe to say that after Purdue's performance tonight Danny Hope probably doesn't have too long as head coach.

#44 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5,445 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Ohio State is done in its division. They should lose at least 2 of their next 3, and from there on out the season will be about trying to keep the streak alive against Michigan. With this team, it wouldn't have been that big of a loss for the NCAA to hand down a one-year bowl ban.

#45 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

I'm expecting Nebraska to go on a cross-divisional vengeance bender this week.

#46 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

From EDSBS:
Posted Image

Edited by sachmoney, 10 October 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#47 roundegotrip

• 1,940 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Just in case anyone hasn't heard, Jared Crick's college career is over. Torn pectoral. Luckily, Nebraska has good depth on the defensive line, but needless to say, losing a DT who's recorded 19 sacks over the past two seasons is not good news.

#48 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 8,162 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

I feel like this is a good time to bring this to discussion, as we approach the BTCG, since the Big Ten has been getting a bad wrap nationally.

What's wrong with the Big Ten? It seems like there isn't an "elite" team in the conference. No one team has stepped up and said we're better than the rest. It seems like we could be represented by a Michigan State team that nobody thinks is very good. No one is taking ownership of the conference. Should that team have been Wisconsin? They did lose two games by last minute hail mary type passes. Could we be represented by a team, in Michigan State, that nobody thinks looks good? What about other teams like Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State? Where do you see them standing? Finally, do you see the Big Ten getting a second team into the BCS? The Big Ten has five teams in the top 25, but no one in the top 10. It's a weird world. I have some thoughts on these questions, but I'd like to open it up for discussion before responding.

#49 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,594 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

FWIW they have removed Joe Paterno's name from the championship trophy.

#50 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5,445 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

I feel like this is a good time to bring this to discussion, as we approach the BTCG, since the Big Ten has been getting a bad wrap nationally.

What's wrong with the Big Ten? It seems like there isn't an "elite" team in the conference. No one team has stepped up and said we're better than the rest. It seems like we could be represented by a Michigan State team that nobody thinks is very good. No one is taking ownership of the conference. Should that team have been Wisconsin? They did lose two games by last minute hail mary type passes. Could we be represented by a team, in Michigan State, that nobody thinks looks good? What about other teams like Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State? Where do you see them standing? Finally, do you see the Big Ten getting a second team into the BCS? The Big Ten has five teams in the top 25, but no one in the top 10. It's a weird world. I have some thoughts on these questions, but I'd like to open it up for discussion before responding.

I don't have too much to say about this. I believe Wisconsin is an elite team, but it has 2 losses. C'est la vie. Michigan State also appears to be a BCS-worthy team, but again 2 losses in a year when for whatever reason, there are a lot of undefeated and 1-loss teams. After those 2, you have several good teams capable of beating almost anyone, especially at home. This kind of parity is how you end up with teams like Wiscy and MSU ending up with 2-losses. But all of these second-level teams have major flaws that render them capable of losing to anyone, especially on the road.

It sounds like an absurd thing to say, but this probably wouldn't really be a topic for discussion if Notre Dame had taken care of business in its opener against South Florida. Because of the 3 games Big Ten teams play against Notre Dame, so much of the league's ranking is dependent on that team for schedule strength purposes, it's really kind of unbelievable. We're certainly getting no help from the computers (Wisconsin is outside the Top 25 in 4 out of the 6 BCS computers), and I think there's a trickle down in the human polls based on ND, too.

Anyway, I still think there's a decent chance the conference will end up with 2 in BCS games. I haven't considered all the permutations, but it does look like if Michigan or Nebraska wins out, either would be in position for a BCS bid in addition to the CCG winner. Is that a good thing? Doubtful. The flawed QB play of both of these teams makes me think such a bowl against a true top 10 or 12 team on a neutral field would be a shitshow.