Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

What's the chance CC opts out?

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the chance? (316 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the chance?

1. No chance. He's got plenty of money coming ($92M) after next year. That's a lot of cash to say no to. (35 votes [11.08%])

Percentage of vote: 11.08%

2. Maybe - depends on what Oswalt and Carpenter decide to do. (62 votes [19.62%])

Percentage of vote: 19.62%

3. Absolutely! He put the clause in there so he could opt out and renegotiate, especially after seeing what Cliff Lee got in an offer from the Yankees. (219 votes [69.30%])

Percentage of vote: 69.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6005 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

A source tells Buster Olney that CC has dropped 30 pounds this winter.

#102 Trlicek's Whip

• 2815 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

When playing MLB Spring Training Bingo, "he's in the best shape of his career" should be the free space. If he's just as or more effective, should be a great "contract" year for him.

#103 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20505 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Ha, I wonder why CC has decided, now of all times, to get "in shape."

#104 terrynever

• 4966 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

Ha, I wonder why CC has decided, now of all times, to get "in shape."

Because he's getting older and it's harder to pitch carrying all that weight?

#105 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14764 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

And he just had minor knee surgery?

#106 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7316 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

And he wants to have a great year so he can max out his next contract after he opts out after this season.

#107 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6010 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Even with the threat of an opt out, this is still the best news that Yankees have recieved this off-season. Losing weight should help his knees. Not so much for 2011, but for future years.

CC is going to remain a Yankees for many years. The only question is whether it is under his current contract or a new contract after the opt out.

#108 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20505 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

He is 30, still in his prime. Sorry, try again.

#109 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 18466 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

He is 30, still in his prime. Sorry, try again.

30 is too young to have trouble carrying around 300+ pounds? I beg to differ. Not that I'm disagreeing with the idea that he's likely to opt out, but it's not like his longevity couldn't have also crossed his mind this off season.

#110 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16322 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

What, he wasn't getting older last year?
Oh wait. He had Andy Pettitte as a teammate last year.

He could gain back 30 pounds in ill chosen snacks the first week of spring training for god's sake.

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 09 February 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#111 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3668 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Easy there, big fella

Cashman's eyeballs tell him CC only lost half the 30 pounds that is being claimed.

Which may well be true, but you wonder why he's pointing it out. Can you imagine being in the office when some wise guy chirps up out of nowhere "I know everyone's saying the boss lost 10 pounds, but I'm pretty sure it's only 5." Much less says it to the press?

#112 terrynever

• 4966 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Easy there, big fella

Cashman's eyeballs tell him CC only lost half the 30 pounds that is being claimed.

Which may well be true, but you wonder why he's pointing it out. Can you imagine being in the office when some wise guy chirps up out of nowhere "I know everyone's saying the boss lost 10 pounds, but I'm pretty sure it's only 5." Much less says it to the press?

Maybe the Yankees have their own "Biggest Loser" contest. Joba has already been kicked off. CC is winning so far. The winner claims the Brian Bruney trophy named in honor of the former reliever who went from fat to normal and lost his fastball along the way.

Edited by terrynever, 11 February 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#113 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3668 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Maybe the Yankees have their own "Biggest Loser" contest. Joba has already been kicked off. CC is winning so far. The winner claims the Brian Bruney trophy named in honor of the former reliever who went from fat to normal and lost his fastball along the way.

With new friends Bobby Jenks and Denys Reyes, there may be pot/kettle issues here.

#114 glennhoffmania

• peaks prematurely

• 8381657 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Cashman continues to amaze this offseason. This is not nearly as bad as the Soriano, Jeter and Joba comments, but I don't understand why he keeps undermining his own players.

#115 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 18779 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Cashman continues to amaze this offseason. This is not nearly as bad as the Soriano, Jeter and Joba comments, but I don't understand why he keeps undermining his own players.

Maybe Cashman is getting crap from his bosses and is passing it on? Not what you do of course.

#116 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13642 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

With new friends Bobby Jenks and Denys Reyes, there may be pot/kettle issues here.

Given he's a Yankee fan, I'm not sure we do.

#117 hbk72777

• 265 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

He reminds me of Peter Gibbons in Office Space. He just doesn't care anymore and is saying what comes to mind. I can see him during the trade deadline "Yeah, we tried to trade Joba, but nobody wanted the fat bastard" . This should be a fun season.

#118 StuckOnYouk

• 1783 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

He reminds me of Peter Gibbons in Office Space. He just doesn't care anymore and is saying what comes to mind. I can see him during the trade deadline "Yeah, we tried to trade Joba, but nobody wanted the fat bastard" . This should be a fun season.

Brian Cashman = Peter Gibbons

I don't think you could find a better comparison right now. Outstanding.

#119 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14764 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Credit where credit is due, Gambler7 said that here a few weeks ago:

http://sonsofsamhorn...59#entry3351359

#120 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 9306 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

It's a mid life crisis, and I'm just waiting for the 21 year old NYU student that he's banging on the side to come forward with a paternity suit. Then this offseason will be complete.

#121 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 32456 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6120676

#122 donutogre

• 1048 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6120676

But...but...he said many months ago that he wouldn't!!!

Edited to add this choice line from the ESPN article:

Sabathia, who had knee surgery this offseason, said he is 25 pounds lighter after he stopped eating full boxes of Cap'n Crunch.

Edited by donutogre, 14 February 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#123 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5812 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

23 servings and 2500 calories per box. Maybe he thinks they named it after him.

#124 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25317 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

I think it's pretty obvious he's planning on opting out unless he has a really crappy year.

#125 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6256 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

Here's what this all means:

"I'm going to pitch my ass off this year, opt out of my contract, get the Yankees to pay me until I'm 42 years old and then hit BK for some double whoppers."

#126 donutogre

• 1048 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

"...then hit BK for some double whoppers."

This is the real payday.

#127 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7488 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

"I'm going to pitch my ass off this year, opt out of my contract, get the Yankees to pay me until I'm 42 years old and then hit BK for some double whoppers."

"...but yeah, I'll probably hit BK either way. CC out."

#128 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20505 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Not surprised.

#129 StuckOnYouk

• 1783 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Is it no longer technically the offseason?

Ok,this is the offseason plus one day that keeps on giving. NY will now pay C.C. 22 mil whenhe's 39 or 40 and he's getting the Igawa treatment in Scranton.

#130 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1854 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

23 servings and 2500 calories per box. Maybe he thinks they named it after him.

35 g of fat, 4600mg of sodium, and 276 g of sugar. That's twice the RDA for sodium intake and about as much sugar as 8 cans of Coke.

Frankly, if he eats like that, 300 lbs. is svelte.

#131 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 32456 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

If he ate that he's actually not unhealthy. He would technically be a diabete, I believe.

#132 Sampo Gida

• 3049 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

I think it's pretty obvious he's planning on opting out unless he has a really crappy year.

Yeah, especially as there does not look like much competition among FA SP'ers this off season and given what Cliff Lee got at a similar age

His preference last time around was to be on the WC which was why he got the opt out put in, so no sure thing he resigns with the Yankees unless they blow away the competition. If the Rangers give him Cliff Lee money and years he may be gone.

Of course, still have to see how CC Lite pitches this year.

#133 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, especially as there does not look like much competition among FA SP'ers this off season and given what Cliff Lee got at a similar age

His preference last time around was to be on the WC which was why he got the opt out put in, so no sure thing he resigns with the Yankees unless they blow away the competition. If the Rangers give him Cliff Lee money and years he may be gone.

Of course, still have to see how CC Lite pitches this year.

I think you mean the Giants, why would he ever want to pitch for the Rangers? There is a reason Cliff Lee didn't want to pitch there this year, whatever that is I am sure he shared it with CC.

#134 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 6656 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

What kind of record would the svelte CC need to put up in 2011, to opt out nd turn his back on the reminder of his guaranteed 115MM /5 year contract?

Cliff Lee snagged $24MM a year how much more can CC get, and what kind of performaance is needed?

If CC gets injured and spends considerable time on the DL, would he gamble taking a loss in cumulative pay by opting out? Probably not.
But if he put up a 2010 type performance: 21-7 3-ish ERA, 230 ip, 200ks, does that get him a lot more dough?

what kind of performance tells him: I'm opting out and leveraging this and the MFY to the hilt.

Edited by bankshot1, 14 February 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#135 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

What kind of record would the svelte CC need to put up in 2011, to opt out nd turn his back on the reminder of his guaranteed 115MM /5 year contract?

Cliff Lee snagged $24MM a year how much more can CC get, and what kind of performaance is needed?

If CC gets injured and spends considerable time on the DL, would he gamble taking a loss in cumulative pay by opting out? Probably not.
But if he put up a 2010 type performance: 21-7 3-ish ERA, 230 ip, 200ks, does that get him a lot more dough?

what kind of performance tells him: I'm opting out and leveraging this and the MFY to the hilt.

What if he is putting up a dominant season say into August and the Yankees say fuck it lets run him into the ground he wants to walk away go for it.. start going 120 pitches a game maybe 3 days of rest.. There is a legit chance the Yankees are fighting for their playoff lives and decide its go for it now mode.. then they let him walk knowing his arm doesn't have much left..

#136 EdRalphRomero

• wooderson

• 2285 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

What if he is putting up a dominant season say into August and the Yankees say fuck it lets run him into the ground he wants to walk away go for it.. start going 120 pitches a game maybe 3 days of rest.. There is a legit chance the Yankees are fighting for their playoff lives and decide its go for it now mode.. then they let him walk knowing his arm doesn't have much left..

NM. (I don't...think...this is a...likely outcome)

Edited by EdRalphRomero, 14 February 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#137 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

NM. (I don't...think...this is a...likely outcome)

I thought we were playing the what if game... ... ... or is ... it not.. for ... everyone..?

#138 Buzzkill Pauley

• 4944 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think as long as he finishes the season without going on the DL, and with a better than average ERA, he'll opt out. And almost certainly return to the pinstripes a la Slappy McBluelips.

I estimate so long as he pitches over 200 innings, every half-point of ERA under 4.5 gets him an extra 1 yr/$25MM. If the Carpenter and Oswalt extensions are picked up as expected, next offseason's starting pitching FA class looks even more dreadful than this past one.

#139 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21747 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

It's less about getting extra money per year than it is about getting more years added on.

7 years, $165 is a nicer haul than what he's got now.

#140 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 6656 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

It's less about getting extra money per year than it is about getting more years added on.

7 years, $165 is a nicer haul than what he's got now.

tacking on 2 years and another $50MM is certainly a nicer haul than the contract he has now. But the question was is there some level of performance in '11 that CC could screw himself by opting out, and the Ys would refuse to bid against themselves as they ended up doing in '07 with ARod, or does CC have the MFY over a barrel even with a good but not great performance due to the skew in supply and demand for aces in MLB?

#141 JKelley34

• 1200 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just a point of clarification, CC will only have 4/$92 remaining after 2011, so tacking on another 3 guaranteed years at $20MM/per would be a nice long-term guarantee.

#142 EdRalphRomero

• wooderson

• 2285 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

tacking on 2 years and another $50MM is certainly a nicer haul than the contract he has now. But the question was is there some level of performance in '11 that CC could screw himself by opting out, and the Ys would refuse to bid against themselves as they ended up doing in '07 with ARod, or does CC have the MFY over a barrel even with a good but not great performance due to the skew in supply and demand for aces in MLB?

Yeah definitely there is some level of performance at which they will choose not to re-up him for more money if he opts out. But, I imagine that if we were running this in a simulator that outcome is about 10% or less. CC will do well enough to opt out and get himself a fat new contract.

(what...?...just random choice of words)

#143 EvilEmpire

• 3711 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

What if by some miracle of chance the Yankees learn a lesson from the ARod debacle and decide not to bid against themselves? If they let the market for CC establish itself first, what do people think other teams would offer? I'm curious as to how many years other teams would give him.

#144 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 9306 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

Now Mark Feinsand of the Daily News is citing a "source with knowledge" that CC is expected to exercise the opt-out after the season.

#145 Sampo Gida

• 3049 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

What if by some miracle of chance the Yankees learn a lesson from the ARod debacle and decide not to bid against themselves? If they let the market for CC establish itself first, what do people think other teams would offer? I'm curious as to how many years other teams would give him.

He will be 1 year younger than Cliff Lee was, and Lee got 5 years with a 6th that vests under certain conditions. I think he gets 6 years at least with an option year that vests based on IP for the final year or two.

Worst case would be less years than hoped for, say 4-5, but a higher AAV than he currently has.

A-Rod of course was coming off an MVP year, with a new park coming on line in 2009. This time the Yankees are coming off an offseason where they missed out on Cliff Lee and lost Andy pettitte, and have nothing but the unreliable AJ Burnett and inconsistent Phil Hughes w/o CC, unless you include unproven prospects and #5 quality veterans. Nothing much will be available on the FA market.

I expect them to offer CC at least what they offered Cliff Lee. How much depends on how good or bad the season goes. Maybe 1 or 2 of their prospects come through, AJ bounces back, and Phil Hughes matures, but they still need to find a LHP'er somewhere if CC goes. If it goes very bad for the Yankees SP'ing this year, CC will be in a good position. He may not get A-Rod money, but he will get a good offer from the Yankees who would be pretty desparate.

Heck, I would not be surprised if Theo is interested in signing CC. I would not expect him to offer more than 4-5 years, but that would encourage the Yankees to offer more years than they would like in the absence of any other serious competition for CC (which would be unlikely).

Edited by Sampo Gida, 15 February 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#146 StuckOnYouk

• 1783 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

If the Yankees decide to act tough on C.C. they may well finish in the bottom half of the division from 2012-2014. I'm all for it.

#147 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25317 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

If the Yankees decide to act tough on C.C. they may well finish in the bottom half of the division from 2012-2014. I'm all for it.

My favorite what if. What if CC has a great season opts out and signs elsewhere just because he likes the elsewhere. None of the young guys step up to ace level. Soriano opts out and signs elsewhere to be the closer. Burnett is okay but nothing great.

WTF do the Yankees do for starting pitching in 2012? Instead of 2011 where we're saying yeah maybe the Yanks could finish third if they get some bad breaks and the Rays get some good breaks we could be saying the Yanks need some breaks to stay out of third and if anything goes wrong Toronto could push them to fourth. And fuck, Baltimore isn't too far away.

A 3-5 year period where the Yankees are just not relevant to the post season picture isn't an unreasonable outcome.

#148 glennhoffmania

• peaks prematurely

• 8381657 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

A 3-5 year period where the Yankees are just not relevant to the post season picture isn't an unreasonable outcome.

I can't see this happening. They'll overpay in terms of prospects and/or taking on bad contracts to get someone like Liriano or Cain. There's no way they sit back for 3 years hoping guys like Nova turn into the next true Yankees.

#149 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4636 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

I take a pretty simplistic view on this. In business the vast majority of people act rationally. This is not a complicated decision where determining what is rationale is difficult. Here at the end of the season CC and his agent will analyze the market based on what's out there and how CC performed. If it's likely he will get more than 4/92 he opts out. Without knowing the future right now it seems likely that will be the rationale decision from what everyone here has already covered.

Edited by johnlimberakis, 15 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#150 th@tkid

• 312 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I sort of wonder if he mentioned this to Cliff Lee during the whole courting process. I don't think it would shock me if he went to SF since according to reports he had an interest in going home prior to coming to NY.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users