Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Blanton Trade Rumors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 Gambler7

• 3062 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Sources: #Phillies were deep in discussions yesterday about sending Blanton to #RedSox. #MLB
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

#2 Seels

• 1481 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

Yea I bet. I imagine it was something like this:

Amaro: So...you guys want Blanton and his crazy contract?
Theo : What's that? You're going after Cliff Lee? Sure, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear that keeps Lee off of the Yankees.

#3 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Phillies were deep in discussions yesterday about sending Blanton to #RedSox. #MLB

SI_JonHeyman: word now is, philly has a deal in place with boston for blanton.

3 years/$24M (2010-12)
* signed extension with Philadelphia 1/21/10 (avoided arbitration, $10.25M-$7.5M)
* $6M signing bonus
* 10:$1M, 11:$8.5M, 12:$8.5M

Edited by SoxScout, 14 December 2010 - 08:58 AM.

#4 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Theo : What's that? You're going after Cliff Lee? Sure, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear that keeps Lee off of the Yankees.

From Heyman:

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
word now is, philly has a deal in place with boston for blanton. @ken_rosenthal mentioned #redsox possibility this a.m.

So, alternatively, maybe they were so desperate to keep Lee off the Yankees, they agreed to take Blanton.

#5 paulie102704

• 71 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Take it with a grain of salt because of the source, but Heyman just tweeted the following:

word now is, philly has a deal in place with boston for blanton. @ken_rosenthal mentioned #redsox possibility this a.m.

if correct, what is the thinking here? Blanton is a nice if unspectacular innings eater, but how does he fit in with the 2011 Sox?

#6 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10223 posts

Interesting, does this mean Theo has a deal in place sending Dice-K somewhere?

#7 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9543 posts

Phillies eat the majority of his contract, the Sox convert him to reliever? That's the only way this makes any sense.

#8 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10223 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

Phillies eat the majority of his contract, the Sox convert him to reliever? That's the only way this makes any sense.

I would think the Phillies are trying to dump money not eat money.

#9 thehitcat

• 610 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

3 years/$24M (2010-12)
* signed extension with Philadelphia 1/21/10 (avoided arbitration, $10.25M-$7.5M)
* $6M signing bonus
* 10:$1M, 11:$8.5M, 12:$8.5M

Maybe I'm just not seeing this but...What?

Next Shoe Matsuzaka? Lackey?

Has Blanton ever pitched effectively out of the bullpen?

#10 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

Over the last two years he has averaged 185 IP with a 4.06 xFIP. There's some logic to adding him as a 5th starter if they can move Daisuke.

#11 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13839 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

if correct, what is the thinking here? Blanton is a nice if unspectacular innings eater, but how does he fit in with the 2011 Sox?

He doesn't, and just taking on his contract is a horrendous move. I don't get this at all.

Edited by mt8thsw9th, 14 December 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#12 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

Over the last two years he has averaged 185 IP with a 4.06 xFIP. There's some logic to adding him as a 5th starter if they can move Daisuke.

2.7 and 3.1 K/BB's too. His numbers are better than I thought, very interesting stuff.

Swinging strike rate the last 3 years: 5.9, 7.9, 9.0

Edited by SoxScout, 14 December 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#13 someoneanywhere

• 3119 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

He doesn't, and just taking on his contract is a horrendous move. I don't get this at all.

If true, the other shoe that's going to drop is going to be -- had better be -- awesome.

#14 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9543 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

I would think the Phillies are trying to dump money not eat money.

I guess it also makes sense if the Sox are moving Daisuke but I don't know why or how they'd move the guy who figures to be just as good (if not better) and who makes about the same money.

And besides, if the Phillies are really desperate for salary relief right now they'd be better off paying Blanton $4 million than $8 million.

On the other hand, Blanton does have some intriguing numbers. He doesn't really walk anybody. That would be a nice change of pace from Matsuzaka. The more I think about this the more it makes sense if the Sox find a suitor for most of Daisuke's contract and the Phillies take on some money for Blaton. They could get about the same production, on less years, for a lower price tag. I'd be a little surprised for them to give up on Daisuke, though, as they invested so much in him.

Edited by ngruz25, 14 December 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#15 JimD

• 4519 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

So ... let's assume Theo could move Dice-K for a decent return, and get the Phillies to take on a decent chunk of Blanton's salary - is there any reason we wouldn't want this guy as the #5 starter?

#16 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

2.7 and 3.1 K/BB's too. His numbers are better than I thought, very interesting stuff.

Swinging strike rate the last 3 years: 5.9, 7.9, 9.0

There's also obviously a Curt Young connection. I wonder how much he had to do with this.

#17 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7584 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

On the other hand, Blanton does have some intriguing numbers. He doesn't really walk anybody. That would be a nice change of pace from Matsuzaka.

Although their WHIP rates are about the same. I'm also wondering how much of any improvement Blanton has shown over the last few years is an artifact of pitching in the NL (his K/9 has actually gone down).

Matsuzaka performance, but without the frustration of hoping for anything better. Doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're getting something really nice back for Dice-K.

Edit--looking at the wrong page for K/9

Edited by P'tucket, rhymes with..., 14 December 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#18 underhandtofirst

• stud who hits bombs

• 1535 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

Is this Theo trying to be Randolph and Mortimer Duke and corner the market on pitching. Where's Beeks?

Edited by underhandtofirst, 14 December 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#19 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10223 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

So ... let's assume Theo could move Dice-K for a decent return, and get the Phillies to take on a decent chunk of Blanton's salary - is there any reason we wouldn't want this guy as the #5 starter?

I still don't know why they are eating Blanton's salary, under some of these scenarios.

The Phils still need 5 guys in their rotation and he was their No. 4 last year. The deal got done hours after adding another $100+ million contract to their payroll, to me this has to be about salary relief.

#20 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

bradfo: Sources: Nothing done in regard to #RedSox acquiring Joe Blanton

GordonEdes: Red Sox source: "Not true" a deal in place for Blanton. But no word yet on how far talks have advanced

#21 Southpaw67

• 1054 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

On WEEI right now:

According to reports, Phillies to trade RHP Joe Blanton to Red Sox

#22 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2135 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Edes Update: Sox source said Sox, Phils talked, but no deal, and unlikely to be a deal

#23 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

Heyman has been on fire with his stuff the last week, all Sox beat guys report the same thing at the same time... smoke, fire, ect.

#24 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37188 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Edes Update: Sox source said Sox, Phils talked, but no deal, and unlikely to be a deal

I really need to just trust my inner Gordon on these rumors. Jon Heyman just flat-out sucks. He's been ahead of the curve on everything wrong, and late to the party on everything right.

#25 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

I really need to just trust my inner Gordon on these rumors. Jon Heyman just flat-out sucks. He's been ahead of the curve on everything wrong, and late to the party on everything right.

He just broke Crawford from the national media side, Lee, and had the whole mystery team thing for a week now, right?

Edited by SoxScout, 14 December 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#26 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383013 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

This would make zero sense. There is only marginal cost savings here, and there is zero guarantee that Blanton would be any better than Dice-K. I know that Theo is on fire right now, but sometimes you need to just leave well enough alone.

#27 techsoldaten

• 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

On WEEI right now:

Here too: http://nbcsports.msn...ts-player_news/

SI.com is saying it's done, no word on what Philly is getting back in return. My hope is that they would be giving us money in the deal.

But imagine if it was for Drew.

Edited by techsoldaten, 14 December 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#28 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27877 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

They can't trade Daisuke...he has a no-trade, would want something to waive it, and the Sox generate loads of money from Japan because of his presence.

No, I don't believe any of these things but might as well have them said in one post.

In all seriousness, Blanton has thrown 175+ IP for 6 straight seasons, with 194+ in 5 of those. He's a horse. As a #5, I'd probably take him over Dice-K. Far more reliable.

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 14 December 2010 - 09:16 AM.

#29 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8223 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

This would make zero sense. There is only marginal cost savings here, and there is zero guarantee that Blanton would be any better than Dice-K. I know that Theo is on fire right now, but sometimes you need to just leave well enough alone.

well...they are clearly not happy with DiceK. and the only way you can analyze this is to know what the Sox are giving up to get Blanton and what they would get for diceK

#30 Don Buddin

• 238 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:19 AM

If these talks are serious, I don't think it affects Dice-K at all. Blanton becomes the #6 starter, ready to fill in for the inevitable injury. I think it signals that Dubront will be in the bullpen in 2011 and at his stage of development they do not want to jerk him back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation. And it would mean the end of the Wakefield era.

#31 someoneanywhere

• 3119 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:21 AM

well...they are clearly not happy with DiceK. and the only way you can analyze this is to know what the Sox are giving up to get Blanton and what they would get for diceK

What you want out of #5 is innings. So any move like this, I would think, is also a bullpen move. Of all the things to call Dice, innings-eater is not, and has never been, one of them.

And I think, as Clears and others have said, that if this deal were a the real deal, no one should be considering it as a trade for Joe Blanton. There is something else in the works; if Dice is out, he's leaving with a couple of other pieces in another aggressive upgrade. Or so methinks.

#32 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5332 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

If these talks are serious, I don't think it affects Dice-K at all. Blanton becomes the #6 starter, ready to fill in for the inevitable injury. I think it signals that Dubront will be in the bullpen in 2011 and at his stage of development they do not want to jerk him back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation. And it would mean the end of the Wakefield era.

They're going to pay Blanton $8.5 million to be a long man out of the pen until somebody gets hurt? I don't think so. We're spending money like crazy this year, but not that crazy.

#33 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6824 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

This would have to be part of a larger deal that sends DiceK out (assuming to the NL), and possibly as part of larger machination... sure DiceK for bullpen help might work, but looks a little harder to pin down.

OTOH Theo pulling trying to pull off his "Magnum" trade might be along the lines of trade a B prospect to the Phillies for Blanton + salary relief, then trade DiceK + prospects to the Mets for Reyes, allowing them to add Lowrie to a package for Upton. That's a lot more fun to think about on a really cold morning... *

* and I realize is totally improbable, but I don't see Blanton and DiceK on this team at the same time, so the fun is in speculating who wants DiceK and what they can get for him...

Edited by OCD SS, 14 December 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#34 Carmen Fanzone

• Monbo's BFF

• 5739 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Please, please please let this be the first domino that leads to an Upton deal.

#35 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21951 posts

Maybe Theo figured the best way to steer Lee out of the Bronx was to play along with Amaro on Blanton long enough for them to sign Cliff.

#36 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8018 posts

Regardless of the tweets, I have to believe that there is a deal and it was in place before the Phils signed Lee. The Sox effectively provided partial financing for the Lee signing and thereby kept him away from the MFYs and out of the AL.

If I'm right, I love it.

#37 someoneanywhere

• 3119 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Regardless of the tweets, I have to believe that there is a deal and it was in place before the Phils signed Lee. The Sox effectively provided partial financing for the Lee signing and thereby kept him away from the MFYs and out of the AL.

If I'm right, I love it.

if you and spike are right, I can imagine Cash is in his office right now, ventriloquizing Bugs Bunny cartoons. Because of course you know, as Bugs would say, this means war.

#38 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8383013 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

This would have to be part of a larger deal that sends DiceK out (assuming to the NL), and possibly as part of larger machination... sure DiceK for bullpen help might work, but looks a little harder to pin down.

OTOH Theo pulling trying to pull off his "Magnum" trade might be along the lines of trade a B prospect to the Phillies for Blanton + salary relief, then trade DiceK + prospects to the Mets for Reyes, allowing them to add Lowrie to a package for Upton. That's a lot more fun to think about on a really cold morning... *

* and I realize is totally improbable, but I don't see Blanton and DiceK on this team at the same time, so the fun is in speculating who wants DiceK and what they can get for him...

Ok, then I'd get on board.

I understand that Blanton may look better on paper than Dice-K, but I question if Blanton can still thrown 190 innings in the AL East. I don't want to see either Blanton or Dice-K in the pen. They basically have at least 7 starters right now, and while you can't have too many, adding Blanton doesn't seem to be the best use of resources unless it's part of some Magnum deal.

#39 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8018 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

if you and spike are right, I can imagine Cash is in his office right now, ventriloquizing Bugs Bunny cartoons. Because of course you know, as Bugs would say, this means war.

And it's just part of a longer list.

- "They jumped into the Lee negotiations with a BS offer"

- "They signed Carl Crawford before we could overpay more than them for him"

- "They're messing with our Russell Martin negotiations"

- "They gave St. Mariano an offer and made us go to 2 years"

- "And now this, they helped the Phils get Lee"

The best part is that the only player the Sox have steadfastly avoided taking any risk of signing is the great and intangible Derek Jeter.

Even if I'm wrong about this, the thought that the Sox did this with Blanton is delicious. And I like that they have some additional starter depth as we know Wake will get hurt at some point and that at least one of the starting five will, too.

#40 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11724 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

Maybe Theo figured the best way to steer Lee out of the Bronx was to play along with Amaro on Blanton long enough for them to sign Cliff.

That sounds like an excellent way to alienate an organization that you'll probably have to deal with a lot in the future.

#41 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37188 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

He just broke Crawford from the national media side, Lee, and had the whole mystery team thing for a week now, right?

Wait, are you kidding me? He "broke" Crawford? After being completely wrong for days about where Crawford was heading?

#42 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 5979 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

I assume for Drew.

#43 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9543 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

I assume for Drew.

The Phillies are in need of a RH outfielder to replace Werth. The Sox have one of those sitting on their bench - Mike Cameron makes a ton of sense for the Phillies, not sure Blanton makes any sense for the Sox though. And hey, they make about the same money.

#44 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Wait, are you kidding me? He "broke" Crawford? After being completely wrong for days about where Crawford was heading?

Along with the rest of the world. If Abraham broke it, it was by seconds. Blanton isn't a Boras guy, so no mouthpiece talk, and I would imagine Heyman has been sniffing around the Phillies all night. I don't have a reason to doubt him.

#45 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4974 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

I assume for Drew.

Another LH bat for the Phils? I'm skeptical. They have Brown to fill in for Werth, why would they want Drew? I think we'll end up giving them a mid level prospect and they'll eat some of the contract. The more we absorb the lower quality of the prospect. If we get Blanton do we try and trade Dice-K to the Mets? They'll need all the pitching they can get. Dice-K did throw a one hitter against the Phils last year.

#46 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10729 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

I assume for Drew.

No history there at all. And they have already slotted Brown as their new RF. Another leftie as well

#47 Joshv02

• 1397 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

Along with the rest of the world. If Abraham broke it, it was by seconds. Blanton isn't a Boras guy, so no mouthpiece talk, and I would imagine Heyman has been sniffing around the Phillies all night. I don't have a reason to doubt him.

Abraham broke it, and Heyman gave him credit.

On Lee, Heyman writes "I hear maybe a different team has a different offer to this guy" - that is not reporting. The fact that there was a third team does not vindicate Heyman at all. It just isn't reporting. Stark identified the third team as the Phillies - that was reporting.

#48 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2135 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

McAdam tweets

Source on #RedSox getting Joe Blanton: "Don't know where this is coming from.''

Edited by MartyBarrettMVP, 14 December 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#49 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6824 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Edit: broken sarcasm meter...

Edited by OCD SS, 14 December 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#50 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9947 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Drew to the Phillies? Come on guys, think rationally.