Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Ellsbury still feeling pain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20095 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Francona on Jacoby Ellsbury's health after broken ribs: "A couple of weeks ago, he was still feeling it in his back."

Per McAdam on Twitter.

That's kind of disheartening to hear this far into the off season. I wonder how much Theo and the FO are counting on him for 2011. This could explain some of the Beltran talk if he's not going to be ready to start the season.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 07 December 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#2 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13369 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

This could explain some of the Beltran talk if he's not going to be ready to start the season.

Or it could be that unlike Ellsbury, Kalish, and Drew, Beltran is not a LHH.

#3 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5087 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

There's a lot of time between now and spring training. I don't think this is going to be an issue come February. I don't have any desire to see another Ellsbury conspiracy theory thread but I'd like to know if one of our residents doctors thinks Ellsbury will be good to go by early March. Assuming he broke his ribs in mid-August that's six and a half months to recover.

#4 Vermonter At Large

• SoxFan

• 3061 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Is it his ribs that still hurt, or perhaps his vagina?

Seriously, though, it's freaking December. Some dumbass writer calls me up and asks me how I'm feeling, I'm gonna say something like, "Eh, it's okay," or, "Not too bad," or even, "I've been better." Some generic thing. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I'm not gonna say, "Well, my back still hurts. It hurts right here, and the pain level is about a four on a scale of ten." It just smacks of setting one's self up for an excuse five months before the season starts. It may be a small thing, but it just seems bitchy to me.

#5 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5563 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

I think he should get an MRI right now on the front and back, thats important. Couldnt resist.

This sucks, I was hoping he would come back completely healthy and have a big breakout season. Now I really wonder if Theo will count on him for 150 games.

#6 someoneanywhere

• 3162 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Whatever it is, he sure seems to think it's just about career-ending.

#7 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11495 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Seriously, though, it's freaking December. Some dumbass writer calls me up and asks me how I'm feeling, I'm gonna say something like, "Eh, it's okay," or, "Not too bad," or even, "I've been better." Some generic thing. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I'm not gonna say, "Well, my back still hurts. It hurts right here, and the pain level is about a four on a scale of ten." It just smacks of setting one's self up for an excuse five months before the season starts. It may be a small thing, but it just seems bitchy to me.

Yeah, but if I'm understanding what I'm reading here, Ellsbury didn't say anything to a dumbass writer. He said it to Francona, who then said something to a dumbass writer. I am very happy to know that Ellsbury is leveling with Tito about his physical condition. I am perhaps less happy that Tito is leveling with a reporter about it, though I'm a fan of his general tendency toward honesty and transparency.

#8 Crazy Puppy

• 1780 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

It was Francona that told the media. Unless you think Ellsbury should have lied to Tito, this criticism seems pretty off base.

Edited by Crazy Puppy, 07 December 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#9 Toe Nash

• 3077 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

I don't have any desire to see another Ellsbury conspiracy theory thread

It's too late.

Did anyone learn anything about jumping to conclusions from the Gonzalez saga? If he's hurting in Spring Training, then it's a story. Right now, it's not.

#10 ToxicSmed

• Tasty Burger Marinater

• 3404 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

It's also worth noting that Theo said in mid-November that Jacoby was asymptomatic, but that his scan wasn't yet clear. It really makes it seems likely that there is something that's still not 100%. Perhaps beginning his winter workout routine made something flare up, maybe he slept on it wrong, or maybe something else entirely happened, but I don't see why it seems unreasonable that a guy who has an injury on a scan might start to feel sore.

#11 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9774 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

Epstein also tried to clear up a little issue by saying Jacoby Ellsbury is completely asymptomatic and whatever pain Terry Francona said Ellsbury felt in his back may have been because he twisted the wrong way. The truth is anybody's guess at this point. But the Red Sox, in general, need to figure out a better way to dispense information on injuries because it often gets muddled and that doesn't help the player.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/12/red_sox_have_of.html

#12 Toe Nash

• 3077 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

Or Abraham et al could refrain from taking a shot at Ellsbury every single time they have an opportunity.

Why should the Red Sox need to dispense injury info in December? Maybe they should just say Ellsbury is questionable every time they're asked until Opening Day, Belichick style.

#13 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10610 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/12/red_sox_have_of.html

Yeah, in other words, Tito has just got to shut up when it comes to Ellsbury. He's the muddle.

#14 rglenmt

• Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Since Ellsbury's and then Hermida's rib injuries many posters who have had rib injuries have commented that such injuries can take a year or more to fully heal. Many in the media, have eggagerated that Jacoby's ribs were injured way back in April 2010 and he is still not healed. Those exaggerating have short memories as Jacoby further injured his ribs falling on them when making a catch in CF and again when he collided with the Ranger's 1B Mitch Moreland which finally ended his 2010 season. Those who keep pushing to trade Jacoby continue to criticize that Jacoby is not yet fully healed, but IMO we need to see how the Red Sox CF is able to play near the end of ST which will be almost a year from his initial injuries to his ribs in April and then evaluate him. Think about the affect Crawford and Ellsbury's speed can be improving the Red Sox offense, along with the addition of Gonzalez and Crawford to the batting order and the return of Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis and Lowrie, before we are so quick to dismiss Jacoby. I would hate to think the Red Sox traded away every player after they were injured, not benefitting from that player reaching his full production.

Edited by rglenmt, 10 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#15 gcapalbo

• 2026 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

Having had fractured ribs... things hurt at odd times a long while after you think it shouldn't anymore-- and it really is annoying.

What gain could there possibly be for Ellsbury to want to continue to be injured, or be perceived as someone who is easily likely to be injured? How does this help his baseball career in any way, shape or form?

If he's not fine by ST... maybe Crawford's speed and fielding ability won't be 'wasted in left field 81 games per year'?