Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

SoSH Running Dogs 2011 Run To 100k Training Thread

• Please log in to reply
319 replies to this topic

#51 sass a thon

• 2110 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Two Easters ago my dad had a heart attack. This past February my mom had one as well.

Here's to dropping about 25 lbs and returning to pre-college/drinking physique. And fighting off those bad heart genes.

Signed up on both sites. Planning on the DRC Half in Dallas on Nov. 6.

Edit: wrong date

Hey neighbor. I'm in Dallas, too, and run with DRC's training groups. Perhaps I'll see you at a run sometime.

Have you been to a doc to make sure your heart sounds ok before you start running? Always a good idea, even if you don't have heart problems running in the family.

#52 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9690 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hey neighbor. I'm in Dallas, too, and run with DRC's training groups. Perhaps I'll see you at a run sometime.

Have you been to a doc to make sure your heart sounds ok before you start running? Always a good idea, even if you don't have heart problems running in the family.

Very much this. Running is a very safe sport. However, if you are over the age of 35, overweight, or have a history of heart disease in your family you need to talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program. The single most important piece of running advice that anyone will ever give you is to listen to your body. If something is not feeling right on a run, stop or slow down. You don't need a heart rate monitor to tell you when it's time to stop.

A simple test to see if you're going too hard is to see if you can talk while you're running, not with complete ease (cause that means you're not pushing enough) but able to get out a sentence. There are exceptions to this but generally you should be able to engage in small talk on a run (unless you're doing speedwork).

#53 crescd215

• 328 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Very much this. Running is a very safe sport. However, if you are over the age of 35, overweight, or have a history of heart disease in your family you need to talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program. The single most important piece of running advice that anyone will ever give you is to listen to your body. If something is not feeling right on a run, stop or slow down. You don't need a heart rate monitor to tell you when it's time to stop.

A simple test to see if you're going too hard is to see if you can talk while you're running, not with complete ease (cause that means you're not pushing enough) but able to get out a sentence. There are exceptions to this but generally you should be able to engage in small talk on a run (unless you're doing speedwork).

This past spring I had quite an extensive physical done, including wearing a monitor to listen to my heart for 72 hours while I went about my business. I did this because 1) my parents 2) I am about to turn 30 and 3) I wanted to make sure I could keep playing summer ball. Docs said I was a normal, healthy person. I now want to be an extremely healthy person. There is no excuse not to do it now that it could help others out too.

#54 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22233 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm in. I need to get in shape and this is a good reason to do it.

I need help finding races in DC -- 5k in March 10k in June/July and Half-marathon in the fall. Can someone help me? Google isn't my friend today. Kate?

Edited by CaptainLaddie, 15 December 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#55 bosoxgrl

• big fan of Seamen

• 2520 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

I need help finding races in DC -- 5k in March 10k in June/July and Half-marathon in the fall. Can someone help me? Google isn't my friend today. Kate?

For the 5K's and 10K's, try looking on active.com. Sign up for an account and they can send you an email with upcoming local races. I have some DC peeps on my Dailymile, too. I'll canvass them for stuff up there. Those kinds of races happen almost every weekend.

For the Half, I just looked up all the Half's for this coming year. Your closest ones are going to be Baltimore on October 15 or Richmond on November 12. I've heard Baltimore had a lot of hills. I've run Richmond and it was the best race I ever did.

#56 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

Check out coolrunning.com. Their race calendar is easily searchable and fairly comprehensive. It doesn't get everything but it's a good start.

#57 Fo' Rheal

• 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Week 1 of C25K is in the books! It was freaking cold out there on the high school track this morning, though. I am feeling good and noticed a huge difference even from Day 1 to Day 3. Looking forward to kicking Week 2's keester on Saturday.

As far as 1/2 marathons - I'm looking at the Smuttynose or Lowell. Both seem to be pretty flat courses.

#58 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'm feeling really lost. Things are up in the air of sorts and I'm not sure that I'll be going to Minnesota to run Twin Cities. Regardless, I'm doing a marathon in the fall but I'm a visual guy. When I trained for Vermont City Marathon, my wife got me a coffee mug of their's for Christmas, and I drank out of it everyday from January to June to remind myself of my goal.

In the interim, my goal is a sub 2 hour half marathon. I really wanted this last fall but I totally bonked. I'm now doing an 18 week FIRST Program and running a smaller (400 runner) half marathon in Westfield, MA the first weekend of April. I signed up earlier this week because I needed a goal and to get on a training plan. The goal and a plan along with actually signing up for something is what keeps me moving.

#59 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm also thinking of doing the Colchester Half Marathon in February because it's pretty hard core. It would be a good gauge of my fitness prior to my goal race in Westfield.

#60 savage362

• 1000 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

I just jumped in on the dailymile site to track my runs I've had since October when I started running again. I ran 5-8 miles everyday during the '09 summer, then college came back around and my running all but disappeared except for an occasional mile or two.

#61 Kremlin Watcher

• 2414 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Anyone here doing the Hyannis half in late February? It's remote for many and probably too early for people just starting out, but it's on my calendar as an early-season warm-up for Boston. I am running with several friends and anyone wanting to join us is welcome. We will all be going for times.

#62 JGray38

• 1914 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

Got my fundraising packet from Dana Farber today, just minutes after I got news of my friends' diagnosis of multiple myeloma. This is an incurable form of cancer; he's going to have marrow transplants and see where that takes him. This sucks. Other than be there for my friend, one of the things I can do to make a difference is this, so I'm determined to do it well.

I've started aggressively working on my plantar fasciitis earlier this week (anti-inflammatories, constant stretching, some new arch supports, some silly thing I wear on my foot at night to keep it stretched out, and weekly acupuncture) with a goal to hit the road on March 1. Should be enough time to train up provided I keep getting non-impact cardio in at the gym.

My best to everyone doing this, and know that you could help someone on this board, or even one of your friends through your efforts.

#63 sass a thon

• 2110 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

Got my fundraising packet from Dana Farber today, just minutes after I got news of my friends' diagnosis of multiple myeloma. This is an incurable form of cancer; he's going to have marrow transplants and see where that takes him. This sucks. Other than be there for my friend, one of the things I can do to make a difference is this, so I'm determined to do it well.

I've started aggressively working on my plantar fasciitis earlier this week (anti-inflammatories, constant stretching, some new arch supports, some silly thing I wear on my foot at night to keep it stretched out, and weekly acupuncture) with a goal to hit the road on March 1. Should be enough time to train up provided I keep getting non-impact cardio in at the gym.

My best to everyone doing this, and know that you could help someone on this board, or even one of your friends through your efforts.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend.

I've got a sleeping boot, too, and it has done wonders for my Achilles issues. I don't know that I'll ever sleep without it again...it's that much of a difference maker.

If you have access to a pool, check out pool running. So many people I know swear by it when injured.

#64 Kremlin Watcher

• 2414 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

My aunt has been living with multiple myeloma for more than a decade now. It comes and goes, but she's a fighter and is clear again. Don't let anyone ever tell you it's incurable. It's recurring, and not only survivable but also with a great quality of life.

#65 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:59 AM

I got my packet in the mail from Dana Farber. The magnet is going to hold up my training schedule on the fridge. My grandfather was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. My boss and mentor has brain cancer. When I do the marathon this fall, I'm dedicating miles to all of the cancer survivors, people with cancer and people lost to cancer in my life. I'm taking a sharpie to my singlet and writing their names on it.

#66 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

I've decided on the 2011 Hartford Marathon as my fall race. I'm doing an 18 week half marathon training program right now. Right now, I'm in week 16. Then in mid June, I'll start training for the full marathon. I'm at the point where I'm far enough away from my first marathon (May of 2010) that tackling a second marathon and all of the training that goes along with it seems like a good idea.

#67 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

If you're looking for a little inspiration to get you going, check out "Spirit of the Marathon".

If you're interested in the early health benefits of running check out NOVA's Marathon Challenge about 12 runners who went couch to Boston.

Both are available on Netflix.

#68 Ryo Sen

• 438 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

So Friday I got a sore throat, then lost my voice -- woke up Saturday with congested lungs and a fever. Didn't run this weekend due to the lung issue and general sick/exhaustion. My question for y'all: I'm feeling markedly better today, fever's gone, lungs aren't congested anymore -- but talking = coughing. Hell, sitting here in silence typing = some coughing. I'm half-convinced that running will = major coughing. Do I need to give it another day for the coughing to die down, or should I try running today?

#69 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

If you feel like running, go for it. I don't think running is going to make your condition worse. Of course, you just ran a fever, and taking a day off won't hurt you either. It really depends on how you feel.

#70 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3217 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

So Friday I got a sore throat, then lost my voice -- woke up Saturday with congested lungs and a fever. Didn't run this weekend due to the lung issue and general sick/exhaustion. My question for y'all: I'm feeling markedly better today, fever's gone, lungs aren't congested anymore -- but talking = coughing. Hell, sitting here in silence typing = some coughing. I'm half-convinced that running will = major coughing. Do I need to give it another day for the coughing to die down, or should I try running today?

I had a similar thing this weekend...lots of coughing. Took Fri-Sun off and then ran today - even though I'm still coughing. I got through it ok and am just a little more chesty tonight than I was before I ran. Hope you're feeling better.

#71 bosoxgrl

• big fan of Seamen

• 2520 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hey, newbies to Daily Mile, get a picture up on your profile :) I'll nag you until you do.

#72 Fo' Rheal

• 87 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

Had to stay in Natick last night and was determined not to let the snow bust up my routine. Got up early, got layered up, drove to the track, fired up the podcast and found that the track had been ripped up. I stood for a few seconds and swore at snow-covered, frozen bulldozer tracks. Guess I'll have to shift the days a bit now. I hate being thrown off the routine.

#73 savage362

• 1000 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hey, newbies to Daily Mile, get a picture up on your profile :) I'll nag you until you do.

Sure thing

#74 rice not rose

• eric van is my love doctor

• 565 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

My Dana Farber kit finally arrived in the mail yesterday. I guess it gets sent via mule train to New Jersey.

I've been on a treadmill for 5 straight days now, and have walked 16 miles. I know that's not a lot for some of you hard core folks, but it's a big start for me considering it's about 10 miles more than the most I've been doing since the beginning of the summer. I start tomorrow morning with a trainer on the weights.

I had reached a weight loss plateau here over the past 2 months and am looking forward to my Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow morning. Hopefully this significant increase in my activity level will have a positive affect on my weigh in.

#75 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

My Dana Farber kit finally arrived in the mail yesterday. I guess it gets sent via mule train to New Jersey.

I've been on a treadmill for 5 straight days now, and have walked 16 miles. I know that's not a lot for some of you hard core folks, but it's a big start for me considering it's about 10 miles more than the most I've been doing since the beginning of the summer. I start tomorrow morning with a trainer on the weights.

16 miles over 5 straight days! Most excellent. That's both a lot of miles and a lot of time on the treadmill. Great work.

#76 Fo' Rheal

• 87 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

I'm in a really good groove here - just dominated W3D1 of the C25K program - but I don't want winter in New England to slow me down or hurt me. Anyone use Yaktrax? If so, what are your experiences? I am a tad concerned that they may mess up my feet - I am managing plantar faciatis and a heel spur, and don't know if attaching the Yaktrax to my shoes will compromise my arch and heel support.

#77 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

Did anyone get any good running presents? I got a shell jacket that will be perfect for some winter runs, some lip balm with SPF which is good for both the summer and the winter, and I got some money to Dick's where I'll be picking up some body glide and possibly a visor.

#78 rbeaud

• 202 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Why yes I did Traut...a pair of Native Hardtop XP w a 3rd set of lenses from my best friend (and Iraqi Freedom vet). I never thought of myself as a member of Fatheads of America but these XP frames feel good on my frome dome. I also bought myself a backup pair of Asics Piranha SP2 leftovers off EBay. All I need for the trifecta is a replacement set of training shoes....dear wife I'm thinking of DS Trainers or maybe Saucony Grid A2s if you read this over my shoulder. Maybe a Go-Motion running vest w light. Christmas isn't over until the gifts run out!

#79 rbeaud

• 202 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

NM

Edited by rbeaud, 28 December 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#80 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3217 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

I got a new pair of shoes! Ascis GEL Nimbus 12. Comfy goodness for Christmas. I also got a funky little sweat wicking hat with both a visor and ear flaps for cold weather running and high level mocking. I look like Joe Maddon in the 2008 WS, but it works.

#81 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3217 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

QUESTION for you running veterans: I am having some major soreness in both achilles tendons both while running and afterwards. I even have slightly noticeable lumps on both tendons that hurt ridiculously badly when I squeeze them on both sides of the tendon, and this is all the time. I know its just tendonitis, and I am icing and stretching before and after (and occassionally during) my runs. Any other advice? Thanks!

#82 JGray38

• 1914 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Running present: Garmin 405. Very nice. Can't wait to test it out. Just got to get back on the road.

As for Achilles Tendinitis, something I'm battling now: a few things worth trying.
1. Start taking anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Naproxen), and take them 2-3x day consistently for at least a couple of weeks.
2. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Multiple times a day. Keep your feet flat on the floor, bend your knees and lower your butt as if you were sitting. You should be able to feel this stretching the tendon if you're doing it right. Do this multiple times a day, not just when running. Turn your feet at an angle to the left, repeat sitting motion (straight ahead), then to the right, etc.
3. Cut back on the running. That's what I've done. It helps.
4. Consider buying a night splint to keep your ankle stretched at night.
Hope those help. Let me know what you do.

Edited by JGray38, 29 December 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#83 sass a thon

• 2110 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

QUESTION for you running veterans: I am having some major soreness in both Achilles tendons both while running and afterwards. I even have slightly noticeable lumps on both tendons that hurt ridiculously badly when I squeeze them on both sides of the tendon, and this is all the time. I know its just tendonitis, and I am icing and stretching before and after (and occasionally during) my runs. Any other advice? Thanks!

Ok, girl - you've come to the right place. I've been dealing with Achilles tendonitis for around a year now. I ignored it for months and months, running several half marathons with it, and then finally found a good doctor who helped me get over it. The first thing to understand is that Achilles pain is a result of tight calves. You can't get rid of tight calves - you have them and you always will. But there are things you can do to be pain free.

My advice:
1. Find a podiatrist who is a runner. I wasted time visiting regular podiatrists who didn't understand my injury and my needs as much as a fellow runner. Once I found the right doctor, I was quickly on the road to recovery. This seems like a good one: http://www.delawarefootdoctor.com/

2. Not sure what kind of shoes you wear when you are NOT running, but stop wearing high heels and ballet flats with zero support. You need to be wearing wedges, sneakers, or shoes with a low, chunky heel. Lots of people know that bump on the back of the heel as a "pump bump." Though it pained me to stop wearing my favorite shoes, it helped in a big way. (A good doc can also make sure you're wearing the proper running shoes.)

3. Sleeping in a night boot also helps quite a bit. My podiatrist gave me one on my first visit and I can feel a big difference on rare nights when I don't use it. It keeps your foot flexed out which keeps the Achilles from shrinking and getting too tight. It's literally the difference between having zero pain when I stop out of bed and cringing at my first 10 steps each morning.

4. Treatment: I got several months' worth of treatment on my Achilles at the recommendation of my podiatrist. My first doctor (a failure) told me to just take 2 months off and I'd be fine. Unfortunately, that didn't work as I'd already been ignoring the pain for quite some time and it was pretty advanced. Things they did for me include trigger point therapy, massage (painful but super helpful), ultrasound to calm inflammation, electrical therapy, myofascial release, heat/cold. They also taped my legs with Kinesio tape before long runs, which is controversial but I loved it. You can likely skip all of this if your pain is still relatively new. All the more reason to find a good podiatrist.

5. Definitely take one anti-inflammatory per day for a couple of weeks. Clear this with your doctor first.

6. Get a foam roller. Use it on your calves every day. Follow with ice (no more than 20 mins per hour). Ice your calves and your Achilles. Ice several times a day. Stretch several times per day. This is crucial.

I hope this helps. Send me a note here or on DailyMile if you have any other questions.

edit: oh, and don't ice before a run. You always want to run on warm muscles. Avoid ice before a run and do a good 5-10 minute walk to warm up your calves. Then stretch, then run, then stretch, then ice.

Edited by sass a thon, 29 December 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#84 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3217 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Sass and JGray for the adivce. Let me first say that if I cut back on the running, I'll be back on my couch - I'm just in week 3 of C25K and have been taking that slowly because I do not want to hurt my oh-so-sensitive feet - only going 3 times a week right now. :)

This isn't a brand new problem and crops up whenever I start to walk more or do any kind of aerobic work besides cycing. But it is as bad as its been right now. I need to be more conscientious about stretching and icing. I do it now, but I don't have a routine and its easy to forget. I do have a good podiatrist already from my days of stress fractures and other foot problems. He was phenomenal with that stuff, and my understanding is that he is a triathlete - he also workswith some of the Olympic Ice Skaters that train in Delaware (Kimmie Meisner and Johnny Weir!) He should be good, and if the new dedication to ice, NSAIDS and stretching doesn't help, I'll go see him.

I have one night splint somewhere around the house that I used when the plantar fascitis was bad. I found that it only helped a bit with that, but am sure willing to try for the AT. Thanks again. I'm gonna go stretch now, pop a Naproxen and head out for my run.

#85 orr4num

• 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Greetings to all!

just finished the signup process. I ran some in the military...enough to ensure I'd pass the PT test and nothing more. Anyway, when I saw Traut's first post, it got me thinking, and then I remembered that a friend from work took his wife to Dana Farber to get treated (she's survived anal cancer, but unfortunately it's spread to her liver!). Also, my mom has hopefully beaten breast cancer, and with the help of surgery, appears to have survived lung cancer. She lights up the follow-on tests about every other month though so the saga never seems to end. two uncles and a grandfather lost their bouts with this disease. Recently, a friend of my wife's was diagnosed too. So, with that being said, I decided to do this because I want to do something to help. Short of finding the cure (and I'm not anywhere near smart enough to do that!), this seems like a a great option. Run a little and share with you great folks here!

I guess the first steps are to get good running shoes and see the doc?

Kind regards,
Kevin

#86 One Red Seat

• 961 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have considered joining for the last week but could not pull the trigger for a variety of reasons...first and foremost, I am extremely skeptical that I can do it. 48, out of shape, overweight, never cared for running etc.
All of that being said, I have been wanting to do something to get in shape for the last couple of years and nothing has worked mostly because of my lack of commitment. I have 3 young kids that I would like to be around for and if I don't do something soon, that is not a given.
Going to give this a try. Already signed up.
I see at least 3 of the Couch to 5K aps on Itunes. Which is the correct/best one?
Thanks

#87 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3217 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have considered joining for the last week but could not pull the trigger for a variety of reasons...first and foremost, I am extremely skeptical that I can do it. 48, out of shape, overweight, never cared for running etc.
All of that being said, I have been wanting to do something to get in shape for the last couple of years and nothing has worked mostly because of my lack of commitment. I have 3 young kids that I would like to be around for and if I don't do something soon, that is not a given.
Going to give this a try. Already signed up.
I see at least 3 of the Couch to 5K aps on Itunes. Which is the correct/best one?
Thanks

I was skeptical that I could commit to it as well...because I have only once in my life committed to losing weight where it actually worked (I lost 65lbs 5 years ago, but have since gained all back because I stopped working out post weight loss - brilliant!) But I haven't missed a day of running yet with this. I feel like its for a bigger purpose. I mean, just 20 of us can raise a minimum of 10 grand by doing this, and that's really quite amazing. And for those of us who are out of shape and have had trouble committing to ourselves in the past, it gives us the chance to change our lives along with helping to change the lives of those with cancer. Its win-win. And your kids will thank you. So will your pride.

In terms of C25K apps, I went with the Get Running one. I've found it works really well with my music or audiobooks, I can run my stopwatch app with it if I want to tack on more walking minutes to the end of the prescribed run/walk, its easy to add a second runner if someone else uses your ipod and also runs, and its easy to re-run a day if you are not feeling quite up to moving on to the next week at the end of 3 days. Also, I love the British voice. It's like running with a female version of Kipper the dog (you may be familiar if your kids ever watched it). That said, all 3 of the C25K apps get great reviews. I imagine they all do what I listed above, but maybe minus the awesome voice. :)

I guess the first steps are to get good running shoes and see the doc?

Hi Kevin! Yep, go get fitted for good shoes at a real running store (not a sporting goods store). They should know from your gait and some other little fun things they do which kind of shoe is best for you. Also, the doctor thing is the way to go if you have not worked out in awhile or if you have had any medical probelms whatsoever recently. It can never hurt to get the seal of approval from your doctor. The top part of this thread (and the one on the main board) has lots of good advice. Welcome.

Edited by luckysox, 30 December 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#88 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

I'm happy that so many people have decided to commit to this. Nobody is a natural runner. If you haven't run in a longtime or ever it's probably going to suck at first. I know it did for me. It gets better. When I decided to run my first half, 13.1 may as well have been 50 miles.

#89 bosoxgrl

• big fan of Seamen

• 2520 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

Ditto me. I started my running to lose 20 pounds I put on after my mother died. Knew I could get it off running, I always lost 10 pounds every year during Navy Chiefs Initiation season with all the running we did (and it was always a slow build).

Mine started with I guess a modified C25K program of my own. I ran 1/4 mile, walked 1/4 mile. Did this for 2 miles the first time I went out. Added a half mile every few days until I was eventually doing 7 miles of these intervals. Then started running more of it. Run 1/2 mile, walk 1/4 mile. Etc.....

Less than 2 years later, I have run numerous 5K's, a few 10 milers, and 2 half-marathons. If not for injury, I would have ran a full this past fall. I'm going to this spring.

You guys can do it.

#90 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I'm going to post some half marathon plans in the near future. Sass A Thon's husband has generously donated a plan for this challenge. I'll link to others as well.

What races are people thinking of doing? I'd love to hear it. I'm going to do the Hartford Marathon. Selecting that race, and knowing that I'll be going 26.2 in 2011 is what gets my butt on the stationary bike late on a cold December night.

#91 JGray38

• 1914 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

I'm doing Around Cape Ann, a hilly 25K (15.5 mi) on Labor Day. Looks like I'll see Fris And Boston Beer Belly there. I'm still nursing a foot/heel problem, but I've been told that riding a bike should be OK, so like Ryan, I've been getting myself on the bike regularly, and am hitting the weights 3x/week. Should be on the road by 3/1.

#92 bosoxgrl

• big fan of Seamen

• 2520 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'm planning on doing the Marine Corps Marathon. I told Pedro's hairstylist I would come up and run the BAA Half with her - I'll be on my taper.

Next year, I want to do the Falmouth Road Race. :)

Edited by bosoxgrl, 30 December 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#93 crescd215

• 328 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

This may belong in the iPhone/Android apps threads as well, but RunKeeper Pro, normally a $10 app, is free through the end of January.

Gizmodo Announcement

#94 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm planning on doing the Marine Corps Marathon. I told Pedro's hairstylist I would come up and run the BAA Half with her - I'll be on my taper.

Next year, I want to do the Falmouth Road Race. :)

Two marathons in 2011! Go you! Just yesterday, I was asking my wife why I decided to do another marathon? I guess I'm far enough away from Vermont City that it looks good in my rear view mirror. I'll never forget that morning taking the bus to the start line when it hit me that I had 26.2 miles ahead of me.

#95 Varitekstheman

• 249 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

I am in for a half marathon!

I haven't run any distance at all since high school. I am looking at running in Richmond next November (I need all the time I can get).

Couch to 5K begins Jan 1.

Not a road race, but I just signed up for a Warrior Dash in Mid May in GA. That'll get me started.

I think I am going to be lucky that my office is 2 doors down from an Athletic Trainer.

#96 Trautwein's Degree

• 9690 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I am in for a half marathon!

I haven't run any distance at all since high school. I am looking at running in Richmond next November (I need all the time I can get).

Couch to 5K begins Jan 1.

Not a road race, but I just signed up for a Warrior Dash in Mid May in GA. That'll get me started.

I think I am going to be lucky that my office is 2 doors down from an Athletic Trainer.

Awesome news. From all Kate writes, Richmond is fantastic. Sign up here.

#97 Varitekstheman

• 249 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Awesome news. From all Kate writes, Richmond is fantastic. Sign up here.

Signed, Sealed and Confirmed!

#98 Ryo Sen

• 438 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm going to post some half marathon plans in the near future. Sass A Thon's husband has generously donated a plan for this challenge. I'll link to others as well.

Awesome! I'm in my C25K mode (running a Somerville 5K on March 11), and then will be looking to plan for a half-marathon in the fall.

What races are people thinking of doing?

I'm waiting for 2011 registration for the BayState Half-Marathon in Lowell to open up, but I also have a friend who lives in Richmond who's trying to convince me to fly down and run the Richmond half with her.

#99 bosoxgrl

• big fan of Seamen

• 2520 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Richmond Race

Read all about it! It was an absolutely amazing experience! I will definately do it again some day.

#100 Verryfunny2

• 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

getting of the couch, in my case from behind the comp today. Im through being a fat slob, goal is the 5k on the 22 may in Leeuwarden the Netherlands. Ive signed up on Dailymile and will be posting my workouts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users