Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

MNF: These guys, the Jets and Patriots...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2542 replies to this topic

#1 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

It's only fitting that this game has the attention of a national audience during Week 13. Whether you're a fan of either of these teams or not, it's compelling theater. A remarkable cast of characters and talent. Bitter, hated rivals. Brash confidence against cerebral, quiet confidence. A man commandeering his own island. The hype machine will probably be at Super Bowl like levels from Bristol starting tonight. Hannah Storm will be sporting her finest hooker boots. Jaws will sleep in his film office. Berman will be looking forward to the Christmas weekend match up against the Bills, hoping they circle the wagons. WOOP! Matt Millen will probably have Charles Rogers in to give his perspective. Stu Scott's body will be in Foxboro, but his lazy eye will be in Wrentham.

The stakes could not be higher. I don't buy into the theory that the Jets are the luckiest team in the league. A good team capitalizes on their opponents faults. So, the last handful of opponents have forcibly handed the games to the NYJ's. There are plenty of teams out there that would still lose those. The Patriots are piling up points in an offense that I'm told, is in transition. The defense is Janet Reno like at times and would allow Stevie Wonder to find the open receiver before getting pressure. But, they make big plans at key times to push back the opposition. The fact that the loser of this game stares down a possible 13-3 barrel with a trip to SD, KC or elsewhere in the opening week of the playoffs is sobering.

But beyond that, this is the moment the Jets have been waiting for since 2000. Hoodie resigned as the HC of the NYJ's on some used napkin from his lunch at Sbarro. Since then the Jets have tried to be relevant as the HC of the NEP's has won three Super Bowls. Al Groh. Herm Edwards. Hell, scare up Eric Mangini to do his best Belichick. Now, Rex Ryan. For all their bluster, they haven't won anything. For a team that has declared it's Super Bowl or bust, this is clearly their moment to finally overcome the Patriots.

But, will they? Or will the Patriots show that they can rebuild/retool, be in transition and return to prominence faster than the Jets can get to prominence once? What a game, indeed.

#2 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6008 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

If the Patriots pull this out, it will probably be the most satisfying regular season win that I have ever witnessed. I hate these assholes.

#3 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16806 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I'll be happy with a win.

But god I'd be ELATED with an out and out assbeating of tremendous proportions.

#4 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

I have grown tired the past few weeks watching Chansi Stuckey's butterfingers, a swiss cheese Texans "prevent" defense and Marvin Lewis' missing challenge flag aid Jets victories. Give them credit, they took advantage but it's about time these fucks get their doors blown off.

#5 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I have grown tired the past few weeks watching Chansi Stuckey's butterfingers, a swiss cheese Texans "prevent" defense and Marvin Lewis' missing challenge flag aid Jets victories. Give them credit, they took advantage but it's about time these fucks get their doors blown off.

You forgot the Jim Schwartz roll out pass on third down when the Jets had no timeouts. The Lions, ladies and gentleman.

#6 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Over/under on the percentage of air time during tonight's crap fest being spent plugging next week's game is at 50% I'll take the over.

#7 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9483 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

This feels like the most important regular season game... ever.

#8 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

The game v. Indy in '07 felt a lot bigger to me, but this will do.

#9 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10677 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

That vomit inducing airplane TD celebration has to stop. Thus I vote for a win, preferably a shutout.

#10 PeaceSignMoose

• 1447 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'm kind of happy the Jets are good. Reminds me how much I hate them.

Beat these insufferable assholes.

#11 dynomite

• 4429 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:46 AM

The game v. Indy in '07 felt a lot bigger to me, but this will do.

I got to thinking about this. I'm pretty sure this is the most anticipated regular season game of the Pats tenure... and perhaps in recent memory?

Apparently the list of highest rated Pats regular season games (in the Boston market) goes as such:
1. Pats @ Giants, 2007
2. Pats vs. Dolphins, 2003 (don't get this one -- it was that great snow tossing/Bruschi/hat&t-shirt game, but... #2 highest rated ever?)
3. Pats vs. Colts, 2010
4. Pats vs. Jets, 2007

I'd be surprised if Monday's game doesn't move into the #3 spot on that list, if not #2.

Here are the other candidates I came up with:

2010:
Pats vs. Colts

2009:
Pats @ Colts
Pats @ Jets

2008:
Pats vs. Jets (No Brady, but still)

2007:
Pats @ Jets
Pats @ Colts (An 8-0 team playing a 7-0 team? That's ridiculous)
Pats @ Giants (For obvious reasons)

2004:
Pats @ Steelers (Two 6-0 teams... one bad game)

2003:
Pats @ Colts (Both came in 9-2 -- this was the goal-line-stand game)

#12 burstnbloom

• 971 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

I got to thinking about this. I'm pretty sure this is the most anticipated regular season game of the Pats tenure... and perhaps in recent memory?

Apparently the list of highest rated Pats regular season games (in the Boston market) goes as such:
1. Pats @ Giants, 2007
2. Pats vs. Dolphins, 2003 (don't get this one -- it was that great snow tossing/Bruschi/hat&t-shirt game, but... #2 highest rated ever?)
3. Pats vs. Colts, 2010
4. Pats vs. Jets, 2007

I'd be surprised if Monday's game doesn't move into the #3 spot on that list, if not #2.

Here are the other candidates I came up with:

2010:
Pats vs. Colts

2009:
Pats @ Colts
Pats @ Jets

2008:
Pats vs. Jets (No Brady, but still)

2007:
Pats @ Jets
Pats @ Colts (An 8-0 team playing a 7-0 team? That's ridiculous)
Pats @ Giants (For obvious reasons)

2004:
Pats @ Steelers (Two 6-0 teams... one bad game)

2003:
Pats @ Colts (Both came in 9-2 -- this was the goal-line-stand game)

There was a snow storm the night before so everyone was home digging out instead of doing their regular Sunday routine.

#13 pokey_reese

• 4832 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

Foxboro forecast for Monday night: Low 30s, high winds, possible snow showers. Who do you think can handle that better, Brady or Sanchez?

#14 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

This is one of the most important regular season home games ever in the history of this franchise.

Here is a list of some of the more important home games of the last decade. The one's that have meant the most in the standings.

December 22, 2001 Miami 9-4 @ New England 9-5 (Pats won which helped seal Division title)

December 22, 2002 Miami 9-6 @ New England 8-7 (Pats need win and Jets loss for division, Only got half that. Jets creamed Farve’s Packers to win the division)

December 7, 2003 Miami 8-4 @ New England 10-2 (Pats won 12-0, rolled to AFC East title)

November 5, 2006 Indy 7-0 @ New England 6-1 (Colts won 27-20 which was critical as it gave them homefield for the AFC title game later that year)

This game Monday night easily tops all of them.

Edited by jsinger121, 30 November 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#15 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 1967 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Spent three months working on a largely bullshit project at work with one of the major consulting firms. They basically made me their data mole digging bitch. My reward a dinner out in Providence and a nice $40 steak. They schedule it for 8 pm next Monday. Fuck them in their fuckity faces, I am going to watch football.

#16 koufax32

• He'll cry if he wants to...

• 3359 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Spent three months working on a largely bullshit project at work with one of the major consulting firms. They basically made me their data mole digging bitch. My reward a dinner out in Providence and a nice $40 steak. They schedule it for 8 pm next Monday. Fuck them in their fuckity faces, I am going to watch football.

This post represents everything that is good in the world. I lol'ed.

#17 Stevie1der

• 416 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

I was thinking about this following the Indy game, but there's something very karmic about the way the Jets' and Colts' fortunes have changed since the week 15 starter benching last season. The Colts eschewed greatness, and their reward has been a gag job in the Super Bowl followed by a season full of injuries to key players and lackluster performances. Meanwhile the Jets seem to get every break each week and find ways to will themselves to victory over and over again. The Jets really didn't do anything to earn their good fortune, but it;s still humorous to contrast the trajectories of the franchises since that game. Really looking forward to this one, may the fall back to Earth by the Jets be swift and without cushion!

#18 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

shalisemyoung

Pats' PR maven Stacey James just said that Bill Belichick has given the players another day off tomorrow. must have been a good practice...

This is a shocker.

#19 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

I could understand someone scheduling a congratulatory dinner at this time if it were outside New York or New England. But surely you aren't the only Pats fan involved in this dinner? What were they thinking?

#20 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 1967 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I could understand someone scheduling a congratulatory dinner at this time if it were outside New York or New England. But surely you aren't the only Pats fan involved in this dinner? What were they thinking?

They are consultants, they are all from out of town. I also believe that they do not sleep as I would get weird requests to get them more data at all hours of the night.

anyway, go Pats!

#21 mascho

• SoSH Member

• 13785 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

This is a shocker.

Well, with a Monday night game they still have Thursday and Friday to get a lot of work done. Schedule a bit different this week.

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15775 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Monday just got better for me. Win it for Tedy. Hopefully, he talks to the guys before the game.

The team will be honoring former Pats linebacker and current ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi at halftime. Kraft believes that will also play into the drama of the evening.

Link

#23 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8030 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Monday just got better for me. Win it for Tedy. Hopefully, he talks to the guys before the game.

Link

Then again, they had one of these for Troy during a Thursday night game against the MFJs in 2008 that didn't end that well....

#24 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9972 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

Then again, they had one of these for Troy during a Thursday night game against the MFJs in 2008 that didn't end that well....

Except some guy named Brady was on IR and missed the game.

#25 TheoShmeo

• 8030 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Except some guy named Brady was on IR and missed the game.

True, but some guy named Cassel played well, the Pats gained over 500 yards on offense and if the defense had prevented a conversion on a third and 15 late in the game, they probably would have won.

And the Pats have had their problems on third and long ever since.

Let's hope this doesn't bit them in the ass again.

On first down, Pierre Woods, in his first start filling in for an injured Adalius Thomas, sacked Brett Favre for a loss of five yards. Then Gary Guyton broke up a pass intended for Leon Washington on second down, forcing the Jets into a third-and-15 situation.

This was the defining moment of the 2008 season.

Given how the Patriots offense was clicking on all cylinders, it's likely a stop on this third down would've given New England a good shot at winning the game.

But that is easier said than done. Third down was the Achilles Heel for the 2008 New England Patriots, where they ranked 26th in the NFL in forcing a punt.

As Brett Favre dropped back, the Patriots rushed only three defenders, dropping the rest into coverage. Unfortunately, Jerod Mayo, who had his "coming out party" this game with a game-high 20 tackles, dropped to the wrong zone leaving Jet TE Dustin Keller with a seam down the middle.

Favre saw the mistake and exploited it. Keller made the catch and busted through Brandon Meriweather to pick up the first down.

#26 mascho

• SoSH Member

• 13785 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

True, but some guy named Cassel played well, the Pats gained over 500 yards on offense and if the defense had prevented a conversion on a third and 15 late in the game, they probably would have won.

And the Pats have had their problems on third and long ever since.

Man that play still pisses me off.

Don't know if anyone listens to Rich Eisen's podcast, but the most recent version had both Brady and noted Jets fan Hank Azaria in different segments. As well as the actor who plays the "Most Interesting Man in the World" for the Dos Equis commercials. Worth a listen.

#27 TheoShmeo

• 8030 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Man that play still pisses me off.

I don't think I'll ever forget it.

I was at the game and immediately after Keller got the first down, some central casting Long Island Jets fan screamed "Who's better than Brett Favre?" along with the obligatory rap-style hand gestures.

Mouth vomit.

#28 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8724 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

I was thinking that Sanchez seems to be really, really lucky to have thrown so few picks given the number of times his passes get swatted away so I looked at what percentage of QB's passes that are picked or defended are actually defended.

Sadly its ownly moderately interesting. The Jets have thrown 8 picks and ad 65 passes defended or intercepted, so defenders who get a hand on the ball intercept it 12.3% of the time. (Incidentally, Jets' passes also get defended/picked 17.9% of the time, which is slightly high-there have been 12081 pass attempts this year and if I used pro football reference right there have been 349 picks, 1658 passes defended, and 2007 passes defended or picked, for a 16.6% league average. Guys like Brady, Manning and Rivers are only picked or defended in the low teens).

So is Sanchez lucky? Only just a little. Indy got picked 11 out of 65 times its passes were picked or defended, or 16.9%. The Chargers? 9/45 or 20%. The Pats? 5/31 or 16.1%. Ravens? 8/52 or 15%. Packers? 9/40 or 22.5%. If I correctly used pro football reference there have been 349 picks, 1658 passes defended, 2007 passes defended plus picks, and the leaguge average is that about 17.4% of passes that are defended or picked get intercepted.

Essentially, you'd expect Sanchez to have 11 or 12 picks instead of 8 (and not the 30 I thought he should have had screaming at my tv). This supports my Sanchez sucks theory some (and if Sanchez had four picks instead of four 10 yard completions he'd have a 76 QB rating instead of 81.9 and be tied for 26th in the league instead of 22nd).

However, this is all actually more than cancelled out because if every team performed to leaguge average you'd expect the Jets defense to have 11 or 12 picks instead of 7 (they have 66 passes defended or intercepted).

So in summary if the methodology is sound (and it probably isn't) Sanchez may be a little bit worse than we think and the Jets' pass defense is just the same amount better.

[And the Pats pass defense is actually even worse than we think; you'd expect the Pats defense to have about 11 picks instead of the 15 they do have on 62 passes picked or intercepted.]

#29 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11850 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

I believe this is the most important regular season game in a decade, and that if the Pats win that would set the stage for the most exciting final month of the regular season -- probably ever because every game would likely have a 'must win' feel.

I can see the Pats winning the SB if they get the perfect ride. I also can see them one and done in the WC round if they don't. I don't like an opening round game at Indy. I like one at San Diego even less. And then there is the matter of playing one fewer game.

The perfect ride is getting such teams on our turf in January, and having two weeks to prepare for the first one, along with the last one if they get that far. This team, unlike previous editions, needs that kind of help.

#30 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9593 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

I believe this is the most important regular season game in a decade, and that if the Pats win that would set the stage for the most exciting final month of the regular season -- probably ever because every game would likely have a 'must win' feel.

A win on Monday and it's a near lock that the Pats can go 1-1 (or 1-0-1) against CHI/GB and 2-0 against MIA/BUF to be the #1 seed without worrying whatsoever what the Jets, Ravens and Steelers do. Needless to say Monday is huge.

#31 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

TheGangGreen has been an absolute JOY to read thus far this week. The innumerable lapses in logic and apparent hatred of the grammar and spelling of the English language compound each other to the point where I feel like I'm reading brilliant dummy accounts...then I realize most of the prime offenders are fucking MODERATORS.

It's almost impressive how complex the awfulness truly is.

EDIT - I must say, it's amazing how the Patriots have managed a 9-2 record with such a shitty roster and an arrogant coach. Hell, these people won't even give Vince Wilfork his due, and the guy's been utterly dominant this season.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 01 December 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#32 Adrian's Dome

• 2458 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

EDIT - I must say, it's amazing how the Patriots have managed a 9-2 record with such a shitty roster and an arrogant coach. Hell, these people won't even give Vince Wilfork his due, and the guy's been utterly dominant this season.

Well, come on. Our best RB couldn't even crack their roster, remember? Posted Image

#33 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8724 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:51 AM

TheGangGreen has been an absolute JOY to read thus far this week. The innumerable lapses in logic and apparent hatred of the grammar and spelling of the English language compound each other to the point where I feel like I'm reading brilliant dummy accounts...then I realize most of the prime offenders are fucking MODERATORS.

It's almost impressive how complex the awfulness truly is.

I find that the ridiculous homophobia makes it uncomfortable reading a lot of the time.

#34 Wilco's Last Fan

• 383 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

I find that the ridiculous homophobia makes it uncomfortable reading a lot of the time.

Seriously. Putting aside how offensive it is, does "I hope that f*cking homo Brady gets his face removed in this game" REALLY advance a conversation in any meaningful way?

#35 SoxSport

• 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

I think you can say good and bad things about both teams. The Jets, being in NY, get the bulk of the media attention. They feed to it, too, with all that bluster. They backed into the playoffs last year playing their last two games against playoff-bound teams just trying to stay healthy. They did impress in the playoffs, but beat a bad Bengals team which showed its true colors this year.
This year, the Jets have been pulling games out of their geistas with last minute heroics. Including some ref help (Denver comes to mind). That kind of pattern has a tendency to reverse itself at some point.

As for the Patriots, they are getting by on offense with Brady and a bunch of no names (well, except for Welker). Getting by pretty well, actually. On defense, they seem to be rapidly developing their young players faster than expected, but are obviously vulnerable to the pass. Belichick has never been able to overcome his penchant for not paying his defensive backs. Malloy, Law or Samuels. These guys do not grow on trees.

My guess is neither team is as good as its record. The Patriots will probably win this one because they are playing at home. Plus they have beaten some good teams on the road the Jets have yet to play (the Steelers come to mind).

Edited by SoxSport, 02 December 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#36 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13934 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

I think you can say good and bad things about both teams. The Jets, being in NY, get the bulk of the media attention. They feed to it, too, with all that bluster. They backed into the playoffs last year playing their last two games against playoff-bound teams just trying to stay healthy. They did impress in the playoffs, but beat a bad Bengals team which showed its true colors this year.
This year, the Jets have been pulling games out of their geistas with last minute heroics. Including some ref help (Denver comes to mind). That kind of pattern has a tendency to reverse itself at some point.

As for the Patriots, they are getting by on offense with Brady and a bunch of no names (well, except for Welker). Getting by pretty well, actually. On defense, they seem to be rapidly developing their young players faster than expected, but are obviously vulnerable to the pass. Belichick has never been able to overcome his penchant for not paying his defensive backs. Malloy, Law or Samuels. These guys do not grow on trees.

My guess is neither team is as good as its record. The Patriots will probably win this one because they are playing at home. Plus they have beaten some good teams on the road the Jets have yet to play (the Steelers come to mind).

I'm hoping the two teams performances against Detroit is some sort of bellwether, because both games against that common opponent were pretty recent. You could argue that the Cleveland games show the opposite (Jets are better), but NE crushed Det, while the Jets barely beat the Browns.

I dunno. I think the Pats should win, because they can contain the run and hopefully get at least 2 turnovers. It's a cliche, but as long as the Pats are careful with the ball, they should win pretty easily I think.

#37 splinters

• 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

So i got into with a New Jersey Jets Fan a couple weeks ago. I decided well, maybe they aren't as bad as we give them credit for. Sure they are lucky, but how do we match up to them as far as playing outr schedule. So here was mt]y reply, which by the way got the exact mumbled, incoherent, ill fragmented responses I would expect from a Jersey fan.

Ok, lets try this. I'll dumb it down for you.

You lost...at home...to the Ravens to start he season. We beat them at home. NE WINS

You beat us fair and square, no bs at home. One more to go, so you are still tied until then. Cause, unless you say IF the seaon ended today, there is no way you are in first. JERSEY WINS

You beat the Dolphins by 8, we beat em by 27... NE WINS

You beat the Bills by 24, we beat em by 8 JERSEY WINS

You beat Minny by 9, we beat em 10. NE WINS

Here is where it goes out of order.

Yu beat the Browns by 6, ine of your lucky ones, but since we lost by 20, clear victory for you. JERSEY WINS

You beat the Lions by 3, due to their coach being an idiot and making terrible calls and kicking with a tackle etc. But it doesn't matter, cause we beat them by 21 NE WINS

We beat the Bengals by 14, you guys beat em by 14. Perfectly convenient. Now, since their will be arguments somewhere, I'll throw in the fact that our win was more convincing. You had to claw back into it, we played soft D to let them back to within 14. But, SPLIT

NOW. Here is the part where you see how you guys are not that good. You played the Texans, Bengals and Packers.
We played the Colts, Steelers and Chargers.

CLEARLY, we had the three tougher teams. But I'll match them up as best as I can.

Steelers vs Packers. Two great teams. If i chose either of the other two teams to match up it wouldn't be fair so....

We beat the Steelers, with Big Ben and a good defense AT HEINZ FIELD...pay attention keywords there. You lost @ HOME (which is actually in Jersey) to the Packers a great team with A-Rodg and a good defense. NE Huge WIN

These two could PROBABLY go either way matchup wise but well do this. Colts vs Texans and Chargers vs
Broncos

We beat the Colts, a close one, but the Colts have Peyton, so of course it was close. You beat the Texans by the same score but an inferior team nonetheless. But you know what, I'll be charitable, call it a tie. SPLIT

We beat the Chargers who are above the Broncos clearly, as a team and in the standings. And if you somehow wanna argue that, let's not forget that it was a fourth and holy crap facemask that GAVE you that game. You can say all you want about hte other games, but this one was flat out HANDED to you on a platter. But nonetheless NE WINS

So, let's do the math here.

NE WIN

Jets
WIN
NE WIN
Jets win
NE win
Jets win
NE win
Split
NE wins
Split
NE wins

So - Patriots - 6
Jets - 3
Split - 2

Even if you got the splits you lose, we have beat better teams by more and in their stadiums. And I really didn't even go into the Lions and Browns lucky wins. Only the Broncos.

So be a little more humble or modest cause you should be. I know the Patriots are a long way from being the runaway favorite, but they are the better team. I'm not sure the Super Bowl team will even come from the AFC.

Let's see that kind of honesty out of you NJJ fans, honestly.
Now I know some idiots are going to try and pick this apart, but honestly, I put a lot of work in. So at least support your claims with something instead of..."Well we beat you once already"

Does anyone agree? We have had a tougher schedule and while yes when we lost we did it by 14 points or more twice. We also beat the bad teams pretty convincingly and the more solid teams well.

#38 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13934 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

So i got into with a New Jersey Jets Fan a couple weeks ago. I decided well, maybe they aren't as bad as we give them credit for. Sure they are lucky, but how do we match up to them as far as playing outr schedule. So here was mt]y reply, which by the way got the exact mumbled, incoherent, ill fragmented responses I would expect from a Jersey fan.

Does anyone agree? We have had a tougher schedule and while yes when we lost we did it by 14 points or more twice. We also beat the bad teams pretty convincingly and the more solid teams well.

Yea, but all that is almost neutralized because the Jets actually beat NE. Yes, it was in NY. Yes, it was way back in week 2. However, I think you are being disingenuous by not giving that more weight.

#39 splinters

• 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yea, but all that is almost neutralized because the Jets actually beat NE. Yes, it was in NY. Yes, it was way back in week 2. However, I think you are being disingenuous by not giving that more weight.

I apologize I should have explained. I was not speaking about how we match up team vs team. My argument is that the jets were lucky this game even counted for so much. In reality, with the schedule they have they should wiped the floor, at least based on all the shit talking. But instead they needed A) a horrible 4th and game ending facemask from the broncos where the game was absolutely overif it hadn't happened. Plus some terrible play by the Browns as well as very stupid play calls from the Lions and Texans. Simply pointing out how much lady luck has bounced them the ball a LOT. I just hope that the rest of the way out they face some teams where luck doesn't factor in for them, maybe even a reversal.

All in all though you vare right, they beat us and that cannot be completely discounted. Only be glad that we are on a roll, at home, TB is in top form and the D is looking hungrier.

#40 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17684 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hey Splinters, TRic here. I am long time fan first time replier.

Is there any chance you can use that system up there and give some picks for the games this week? I have a couple of hundred to burn on some gambling picks and yours might be the most interesting system I have seen in a while.

#41 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'll dumb it down for you.

You beat Minny by 9, we beat em 10. NE WINS

Let's see that kind of honesty out of you NJJ fans, honestly.
Now I know some idiots are going to try and pick this apart, but honestly, I put a lot of work in. So at least support your claims with something instead of..."Well we beat you once already"

I think it's pretty safe to say I have a new favorite poster.

Splinter, let me tell you that when I think of New England Patriots fans, you are the first thing that comes to mind.

I can't wait to have to start begging money from Ricardo after he makes millions based on this heavy duty type of "analysis".

Good, great stuff.

Edited by SeanBerry, 02 December 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#42 splinters

• 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hey Splinters, TRic here. I am long time fan first time replier.

Is there any chance you can use that system up there and give some picks for the games this week? I have a couple of hundred to burn on some gambling picks and yours might be the most interesting system I have seen in a while.

Haha well TOm it may be lack of sleep (deployed here in the beautiful middle east will mess with you) but I am not sure if I picking up a lot of sarcasm here or just a tad...perhaps a little help.

I think they removed the sarcasm button on here in 2004 when we won World Series.

#43 splinters

• 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say I have a new favorite poster.

Splinter

Good, great stuff.

Sean Sean Sean as you can see anyone can cut apart a post to make someone look silly.

But thanks for the compliment. But like those other Jersey boys, I didn't a legitimate response.

#44 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Sean Sean Sean as you can see anyone can cut apart a post to make someone look silly.

But thanks for the compliment. But like those other Jersey boys, I didn't a legitimate response.

Here's your response.

First, no one gives a shit if you call them Jersey. It means fucking nothing. You keep beating that drum like you are telling some brilliant joke. Yeah, we get it. The Jets and Giants play in New Jersey. Who gives a fuck?

Secondly, they way you approached each game by simply looking at the score is something I would expect a 7 yera old to come up with. It might honestly be the dumbest way to evaluate the talent of a team (of any sport) that I have ever seen here. It's almost stunning how small and simple and worthless it is.

Thirdly, even in this basic and childish of a "system" you have, you still have silly results. The Patriots "win" because they beat the Vikings by one more point than the Jets? What the fuck? You don't factor in weather, home field...well anything for that matter. It's a stupid, stupid, stupid system that isn't even read properly. Do you know what a variable is? Are you taking injuries or change in game play under any of type of consideration?

Fourthly, do you understand how to compare anything? Like when you go to the grocery store... is picking which brand of the same item to buy a difficult for you? If I didn't hate you for being so very stupid, I would be concerned that simple tasks might pose a serious challange for you.

Finally, I know there were a lot of words above so let me make this as simple as possible for you.

YOU CAN NOT COMPARE TEAMS LIKE THAT. IT IS STUPID.

#45 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17684 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Here's your response.

First, no one gives a shit if you call them Jersey. It means fucking nothing. You keep beating that drum like you are telling some brilliant joke. Yeah, we get it. The Jets and Giants play in New Jersey. Who gives a fuck?

Secondly, they way you approached each game by simply looking at the score is something I would expect a 7 yera old to come up with. It might honestly be the dumbest way to evaluate the talent of a team (of any sport) that I have ever seen here. It's almost stunning how small and simple and worthless it is.

Thirdly, even in this basic and childish of a "system" you have, you still have silly results. The Patriots "win" because they beat the Vikings by one more point than the Jets? What the fuck? You don't factor in weather, home field...well anything for that matter. It's a stupid, stupid, stupid system that isn't even read properly. Do you know what a variable is? Are you taking injuries or change in game play under any of type of consideration?

Fourthly, do you understand how to compare anything? Like when you go to the grocery store... is picking which brand of the same item to buy a difficult for you? If I didn't hate you for being so very stupid, I would be concerned that simple tasks might pose a serious challange for you.

Finally, I know there were a lot of words above so let me make this as simple as possible for you.

YOU CAN NOT COMPARE TEAMS LIKE THAT. IT IS STUPID.

SHUT UP SEAN. I haven't got my betting tips yet.

What is wrong with you? I don't understand how someone can just come in and ruin my opportunity to make some money. For someone so into football, you just don't "get it".

Posted Image

What would Soda Pop think?

Edited by TomRicardo, 02 December 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#46 splinters

• 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

[quote name='SeanBerry' timestamp='1291325473' post='3274101']
Here's your response.

Of course you would say no one gives a shit. You are a Jets fan, you wouldn't care. But the principle of representing NY while not even playing there is laughable at best. Yeah I know it's located just outside of NY, but it's not like you don't have the money to build in NY. Why not just build it on the grounds of the old Yank stadium? You know the historic one they knocked down, the one with all the history and great moments. I say this because no one acknowledges it, so I'm bringing it up. That's what you do in rivalries, you make fun of your rival...lighten up. Don't take it so personal. And why are you already cursing so much, we've only exchanged a few jabs buddy!

Secondly, they way you approached each game by simply looking at the score is something I would expect a 7 yera old to come up with. It might honestly be the dumbest way to evaluate the talent of a team (of any sport hat I have ever seen here. It's almost stunning how small and simple and worthless it is.

Again, in case you went into fury mode and skipped a few lines, I said at the beginning of the post "I'll dumb it down for you"..... I was catering to the audience which was a bunch of monkeys who couldn't understand the concepts of SoS or margins of victory. I guess I should have gave that one Minnesota game a split...sorry. And to call this a system? That is by far way more credit than it deserves. Ha I was just explaining why the Pats have earned their 9-2 and the jets have not. So sure you are correct it is "simple and worthless" considering it wasn't designed as anything other than abstract thought with some facts to back it up.

But really can you point out where I called it a system? I could go into that (and if that's what I have to do to validate the argument believe me I will) but again I was simply catering to an audience. The site I was on certainly does not possess people of your caliber in football knowledge...being a self described "football savant" and all. Again not a system and believe me I know what a variable is, college statistics classes talk about them a wee bit. Can you point out some variables where I may be wrong? Cause that's what I was looking for, a semi-coherent intelligible response to something that deserved that in return. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond in an almost civil matter...until this next part at least.

Really? I am very stupid? Your first argument involved you cutting and pasting together a snippet of a very long post that catered to your case. So you actually hate me because I posted some things about your football team? Did all that typing truly give you the impression that I am a stupid individual who has a hard time picking between products? I was actually pretty happy with the response I had gotten till here. Then you just came off as a smug, rude, loud and condescending New Yorker.

Thanks for looking out. For a minute I thought all these words might " pose a serious challange" or is it challanje...or chalengge...I don't know

#47 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

I think he would think that was a Kodak moment as well as be in favor of Splinter's brilliant plan.

#48 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17684 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for looking out. For a minute I thought all these words might " pose a serious challange" or is it challanje...or chalengge...I don't know[/b]

Shouldn't you be typing out my picks?

#49 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17684 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

I think he would think that was a Kodak moment as well as be in favor of Splinter's brilliant plan.

Posted Image

#50 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21365 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

I keep reading his name as 'sphincter'.