Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Juan Carlos Linares

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Epstein sang the praises of Cuban outfielder Juan Carlos Linares, who is hitting .397 with 11 extra-base hits over 68 at-bats in the Arizona Fall League. “He has really opened some eyes,’’ Epstein said. “Great tools and it looks like he’s really going to hit. He was centering everything, showing significant opposite-field power, pulling the ball with authority as well and playing all three outfield positions and getting really good jumps. He was impressive and definitely an interesting guy.’’ Linares, 26, was signed last season.

http://www.boston.co...red_sox/?page=2

Scouting Report: Advanced defensive center fielder with above-average range and the instincts to get solid reads on balls off the bat. Good closing speed. Moves well from gap-to-gap. Average, accurate arm with a quick release. Compact swing. Generates solid-average bat speed, but has the tendency to hook his swing and over-pull. Average present power. Will have to show ability to hit advanced secondary pitches for power to translate into game action. Attacks strikes, but needs to be more selective with which ones he can handle.

http://www.soxprospe...inares-juan.htm

Question: Assuming that Linares continues to "rake" with the Sea Dogs to begin the season, what do you think his "trajectory"/career path holds in store for him/Sox fans? What are his chances of seeing Fenway in 2011?

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

Here are his AFL numbers

G AB AVG OBP SLG 2B 3B HR R H BB SO SB CS
17 68 .397 .423 .662 7 1 3 17 27 1 7 2 1

League average was roughly: .283/.353/.431

#3 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thanks. Do you know what his PPA is? I assume that if he doesn't have strike-zone discipline at "this level" he will get schooled as he gets to AAA and beyond.

#4 Adirondack jack

• 1317 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

I think Linares AFL slash line is indicative of one thing: 60 or so at-bats can show some crazy outcomes sometimes.

Well two things really, the pitching in the AFL isn't that great on the whole (if the league avg. posted above wasn't direct enough). When they trimmed the fat down to two teams (the rising stars game) you saw good pitching, otherwise, there's a lot of straight 90 MPH FB's without command to go along with poor or non-existent secondary pitches.

At times soxprospects reads very optimistic, and this seems like one of those cases. A couple examples:

"Advanced defensive center fielder with above-average range and the instincts to get solid reads on balls off the bat. Good closing speed. Moves well from gap-to-gap."

I'll go out on a limb and agree, he gets good reads. Other than that, you may as well head over to your local Highway Departments salt pile and back up your truck. I only saw Linares a few times (never in CF) but IMO he doesn't move well enough or seem to have the body type (short and stout) to be a big league CF. At best, maybe he'd project as a good corner outfielder defensively, but I wouldn't even go that far if pressed.

"Attacks strikes, but needs to be more selective with which ones he can handle."

Yeah, I'd say. 2 walks in 131 professional at-bats (where he's old for the league) suggests there may be problems when facing better competition.

What are his chances of seeing Fenway in 2011?

It would take another string of injuries like what occurred in 2010, I would think. And if it occurred, it wouldn't be pretty.

#5 sittingstill

• 1306 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

A few photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Teams looking for a right-handed hitting outfielder are asking the Red Sox about Juan Carlos Linares, a Cuban defector who signed with the club in 2009 for $750,000. Linares, who hit well in the Arizona Fall League and has carried over his success to the Grapefruit League, is likely to open at Triple A.

The Red Sox, wary of compromising their depth, are unlikely to move any significant pieces before Opening Day. Linares and Darnell McDonald, for example, could fill the same role as Mike Cameron, but probably not as well. Cameron hits lefties, has power, plays all three outfield positions and – most important – is healthy again.

Ken Rosenthal: http://mlbbuzz.yardb...raining/4386561

#7 Mike F

• Mayor of Fort Myers

• 1905 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Ken Rosenthal: http://mlbbuzz.yardb...raining/4386561

If Juan Carlos Maria Concenpcion Pedro Linares III make the adjustments to raise his ancillary offensive stats he would ne a perfect $414K, 5th OFer next year. If he is looking good this season I can see him as a part of a package for pitching. He also has shown in games that I have seen a lack of baserunning instincts/basics. He is tentative and I expect that schooling will improve that. A nice but not sure thing prospect for the investment in International free agency.

#8 Bdanahy14

• 1800 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

JCL jumping out to an impressive early season with the Paw Sox

Really enjoy following this kid; he's 26 and without a decent sample size against advanced pitching - you really have no idea what to expect. Only 19 at bats, so obviously an extremely SSS but through that he has posted a slash line of .350 .684 1.034

Plus defender, fast, could be a nice addition to this team as a 5th OF later in the summer.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

He also got rid of "Juan Carlos" and goes by J.C. Linares now.

#10 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22159 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Question: Assuming that Linares continues to "rake" with the Sea Dogs to begin the season, what do you think his "trajectory"/career path holds in store for him/Sox fans? What are his chances of seeing Fenway in 2011?

It would take another string of injuries like what occurred in 2010, I would think. And if it occurred, it wouldn't be pretty.

I'd say the 2012 string of OF injuries were worse than 2010. And he just got called back to AAA last week

#11 Buckner's Boots

• 1833 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Can anyone provide some insight as to why Linares doesn't seem to be considered a viable OF option, when the management continues to bring in the Brent Lillibridges and Ryan Sweeneys of the world? At least on the surface, he would seem to be a potentially useful piece. But, his ML camp invitation notwithstanding, they seem to not be terribly impressed with his skill set, and I am a little confused.

#12 Detts

• 794 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Can anyone provide some insight as to why Linares doesn't seem to be considered a viable OF option, when the management continues to bring in the Brent Lillibridges and Ryan Sweeneys of the world? At least on the surface, he would seem to be a potentially useful piece. But, his ML camp invitation notwithstanding, they seem to not be terribly impressed with his skill set, and I am a little confused.

#13 Lose Remerswaal

• 22159 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

JC was in LF yesterday against Tampa Bay.  Pulled a bit towards CF for a lefty who hit a high fly down the LF line.  JC gave it his best effort, but it fell for a double just on the foul line.  Took JC a few minutes (and a call to the bullpen for oxygen) until he was ready for the next play

#14 Lose Remerswaal

• 22159 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

JC was in CF yesterday. Must have been quite the adventure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users