Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Alex Speier's Minor Details Podcast

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

http://audio.weei.co...-jim-callis.htm

This great, apparently it's going to have multiple episodes over the course of the offseason. The first one posted today is an hour long, Speier talks with Bradford, Hazen and Callis.

Ha, you know you are in for a treat when Seung Song is mentioned in the first ten minutes.

#2 billy ashley

• 831 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

great listen, thanks for posting this.

#3 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Episode 2 with Keith Law: http://audio.weei.co...h-keith-law.htm

1. When building a package for a controllable superstar (This was taped when Upton news was just breaking) he said it would be Kelly/Rizzo, Lowrie/Doubront, and Single-A P or OF. Wouldn't do any of that for an unsigned guy and the draft picks that come along with him.

2. Talked at length about watching Lavarnway in the AFL, said while the Red Sox FO might be completely true saying he got much much better behind the plate this year, there is no way he catches in the majors. Also said doubtful he could play 1st base, and bat isn't good enough to DH. His arm is average and he is just slow behind the plate, saying he is big and in good shape, just has no twitch in anything he does and that won't develop.

3. Daniel Turpin is really the only RP candidate to be picked int he rule 5, and that's slight.

4. When comparing Iglesias and Lowrie said that Lowrie would be the one to go as he loves Iglesias and thinks there is going to be something more than nothing with the bat.

5. Said the Sox might not have been the best option for Miller, but he could foresee 1. him getting picked up if we tried to sneak him through waivers, and 2. if he starts out as a last guy in the pen and is with the same team and coach for a year, working his way through the bullpen and back to possibly and end of the rotation guy.

6. Talked about when he saw Bryan Price in the AFL he couldn't hold above 90 velocity through an inning and that was a major red flag for him, but said it was only one outing he saw.

Edited by SoxScout, 19 November 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#4 Zedia

• 1039 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

Podcast Number 4 is up, with interviews with Josh Byrnes and Butch Hobson:

http://audio.weei.co...g-prospects.htm

I haven't listened to this one yet, but figured I'd give a heads up to anyone else needing a podcast for the commute home.

Anybody bitching about Mazz and/or EEI in the Media forum should check these out. The first three have been excellent. Number 3 had an interview with Mike Sarbaugh, Larvarnway and Iglesias' (and Rice and Turpen's) AFL manager. Good info on Juan Carlos Linares, too. It was kind of strange hearing another organization's guy (Sarbaugh is Cleveland's Triple-A manager) talk so openly about Sox prospects.

Alex keeps apologizing for the rough audio quality, promising it'll get better, but it's still listenable.

#5 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

I have enjoyed these quite a bit. The audio quality isn't great but you can tell he's trying and I have heard a lot worse.

#6 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3034 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

These have been great so far. He's bright, well spoken, up to date on statistical analysis and understands the nuances of organizational philosophies...which means he has no shot of being a major sports media voice in Boston.

#7 Sinistas

• 946 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

I've been really enjoying these so far. I do wonder how the audio quality isn't better, considering how cheap decent recording gear is these days.

#8 AquaNarc

• 146 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

These have been great so far. He's bright, well spoken, up to date on statistical analysis and understands the nuances of organizational philosophies...which means he has no shot of being a major sports media voice in Boston.

He probably could, but he apparently has too much self-respect to accept the role of "spreadsheet nerd" that Ordway/The Big Show would force him to play.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

http://audio.weei.co...ter-gammons.htm

Speier and Gammons talking Red Sox prospects for 40 minutes. #WINNING

#10 Buzzkill Pauley

• 4944 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

http://audio.weei.co...ter-gammons.htm

Speier and Gammons talking Red Sox prospects for 40 minutes. #WINNING

That was by far the best podcast I've heard Speier do. Excellent content, solid sound quality.

Really, really interesting comments by Gammo about Pimentel, Kalish, Anderson and Lavarnway.

#11 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25286 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

That was by far the best podcast I've heard Speier do. Excellent content, solid sound quality.

Really, really interesting comments by Gammo about Pimentel, Kalish, Anderson and Lavarnway.

I thought the volume on Gammons was a bit low but yeah, this.

#12 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Stuff on Coyle and Bard was cool too.

#13 Manramsclan

• 1835 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

I look forward to listening to this.

These podcasts have been great in terms of content and well-reasoned analysis. That makes up for the fact that it sounds like Alex Speier is basically reading off of his notes.

I would rather have better content and less than natural delivery than the reverse. That said, he is definitely improving on the latter. It's funny to me that this is an EEI podcast considering it contains a learned, scholarly approach with solid reporting something that the radio content seems to lack. (disclaimer, I haven't lived in Boston in over 10 years so it may have changed.)

One thing that absolutely has to go is the theme song. It's awful.

#14 Buzzkill Pauley

• 4944 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Stuff on Coyle and Bard was cool too.

Very true -- that Bard's amicable treatment by the team after his dismal failure in the '07 season played a significant role in the signing of not one, but two, quality prospects (Miller and Coyle) is really fascinating. Especially as it also got the team a stud relief ace.

Considering that some folks here were comparing him to Nuke Laloosh and Kyles Jackson and Farnsworth, that's pretty amazing.

[edit:] So, so very stoked to have been able to link to a gen-u-ine Imgran post. I feel happy in the pants.

Edited by Buzzkill Pauley, 04 March 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#15 deborafitz

• 128 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

this is so true, maybe it is because I am in the wrong demographic (female 52), but this was one of the most enjoyable podcasts I have listened to in a long time. I listen to sports radio all day, and a little sophomoric fun is fine, but to hear a thoughtful well researched opinion on a subject is a breath of fresh air!

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Mon, 13 Feb 2012

Jim Callis of Baseball America joins Minor Details to look at his publication's ranking of the top 30 prospects in the Red Sox farm system. This year's rankings featured dramatic changes, particularly among the top 10 prospects in the system, and Callis explores what that means for the Red Sox going forward -- not only in terms of the state of their farm system, but also from the standpoint of the team's ability to make trades and build its roster in 2012 and beyond.

Link: http://audio.weei.co...farm-system.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users