Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

1974 Red Sox Roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

Here is what we have to deal with...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

OK...you probably noticed off the bat that you don't need 25 man rosters in the minor leagues. The computer (or Scouting Director) looks at the roster and that's how they determine how many roster spots to give each minor league slot.'

Initally, the big questions I have right off the bat are:

-Do we want to go with a rookie SS or make a trade for one?
-Do we want to call up Lynn, Rice, both or neither?
-Is Bernie Carbo the best bet at DH?
-Do we have too much starting pitching?

Feel free to add any roster questions or things you may want brought up. After we get our manager, we will look closer at contract negoitions with people in the last year of thier deals as well as the 1974 budget. But this can be an all purpose roster thread.

Edited by SeanBerry, 01 November 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#2 JMDurron

• 4,399 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, this is tasty stuff. First off, I have several Baseball Mogul questions.

For the ratings with slash numbers, is that second number the player's upcoming peak, or is showing a range of available rating over the course of the season?

How does the simulator factor in defense? Does it at all?

What players on the MLB roster have option years, how does the simulator deal with that? I see some AAA guys that I want up ASAP given your note about early peaks.

Any idea whether or not Baseball Mogul tends to over or under-estimate injury rates?

Are there clubhouse/secret sauce issues with benching veterans? This is a potentially huge issue when it comes to bringing up Rice, Lynn, and Cooper.

I'm curious to see responses before answering your questions.

Well, except maybe for #4 - NO!

#3 shepard50

• 4,763 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

This is a great set of first questions!

-Do we want to go with a rookie SS or make a trade for one?

I think we need to make a trade here, this is an area to improve by creating a bridge to Burleson. Burleson isn't really ready.

-Do we want to call up Lynn, Rice, both or neither?

Both, Miller ain't gonna cut it. But he or Carbo make for good trade bait as I would assume we don't need them both off the bench (we aren't planning the pinch hit WS homeruns against Cincinnati are we?)

-Is Bernie Carbo the best bet at DH?

This depends on if we believe Rice is ready. I would want a better bet at power for DH than I think Carbo can offer.

-Do we have too much starting pitching?

I don't think so. Marichal is in decline, and we have no pitchers in AAA (is this right?).

Other thoughts:

If we wanted to trade for a SS or something else. Who do people think is attractive other teams, but an extra piece for us?

My first pass would be:

Marichal
Miller
Carbo

Edit: There is a guy in Rookie Ball that might be worth trading for by the name of George Brett

Edited by shepard50, 01 November 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#4 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

Oh yeah, this is tasty stuff. First off, I have several Baseball Mogul questions.

For the ratings with slash numbers, is that second number the player's upcoming peak, or is showing a range of available rating over the course of the season?

Overall/Potential Career Peak

How does the simulator factor in defense? Does it at all?

It does. It breaks it down by position. The Overall/Peak number considers defense.

What players on the MLB roster have option years, how does the simulator deal with that? I see some AAA guys that I want up ASAP given your note about early peaks.

It goes by service time. So if we bring up Lynn to start the year, his clock starts. While Baseball Mogul does have earlier peaks then usual, it's not a hard rule and that rating number and what we know about that player is a better thing to go by.

Any idea whether or not Baseball Mogul tends to over or under-estimate injury rates?

Average to under-estimate. Consider it like real life.
Are there clubhouse/secret sauce issues with benching veterans? This is a potentially huge issue when it comes to bringing up Rice, Lynn, and Cooper.

Veterans can get grumpy and bring down morale. Consider it like real life.

#5 JMDurron

• 4,399 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

Awesome, thanks for the answers.

I start this by taking a peak at the Historical 1974 Red Sox. The first thing that jumps out at me (and I know that the stats don't necessarily translate, but it's just a guide) is how well Burleson did in 1974 for a SS. 284/320/372 for a 693 OPS and a OPS+ of 93 is just fine from a rookie SS.

So, to your first question - Stick with Burleson. We aren't there yet, but this team has a budget, so having a "just good enough" rookie starter should really help us pay for the rest of the roster. Let's keep the overall picture in mind here, people!

Historically, Tommy Harper was pretty worthless in 1974. Between that and the fact that both Rice and Lynn are already better than him, I want to replace him in the lineup with one of them. Rick Miller is young enough that he should be able to handle the bench without going nuclear on us, so my vote is to call up Rice and Lynn, and start them over Harper and Miller. Leave Miller on the bench, put Harper in our "trade for somebody's prospect" pool. I like shepard's idea of raiding other teams' future awesome players, because we have a pretty awesome roster right now, with several prospects who are better than our current starters, so we can trade the excess vets for future awesomeness...maybe.

Ah, the Carbo question. He was pretty good historically in 1974, but I think that we can do better, and that the ratings for Baseball Mogul trump what b-ref tells us. Looking at our roster and the historical 1974 Red Sox, I think we should call up Cecil Cooper, and start him at 1B. Move Yaz to DH, and Carbo to the bench. Carbo is 26, and presumably young enough to not be too grumpy as a bench player/pinch hitter. He's also another backup OF with Miller.

Leave the pitching staff alone. Even though the historical 1974 Red Sox bullpen was crap, and the rotation was meh, if the simulator possibly understates injuries a bit, we could be in awesome shape. Historically, Moret and Drago were forced to start due to injuries to Marichal and Wise. While there are no pitchers in AAA, if this team is the contender that I expect it to be, in an emergency, we could call up Tudor to take some starts, or Aponte for relief.

So, other roster moves that should happen, IMO, based on what I have already suggested. Right now, I have suggested calling up Rice, Lynn, and Cooper, while trading Miller. That leaves two extra roster guys. The first, and most obvious move is to cut or trade Tony Conigliaro. So let's say we add him to the "grab a prospect" pool with Miller. That leaves what to do to free up Cooper's roster spot. Montgomery must stay as the backup C. Griffin looks like the best 2B/SS backup, as I assume that the manager uses the backup 2B at SS if he lacks another IF. Carbo and Miller backup the OF/DH positions.

This leaves a choice between Danny Cater and John Kennedy to be cut or traded, as both are too old to send to AAA. Kennedy is 33, has a lousy rating, and sucked historically, but covers more positions if we don't want Griffin at SS. Cater is 34, has a lousy rating, but was pretty decent historically in 1974. To me, the decision comes down to minor-league depth. Both Cater and Kennedy are effectively the 3rd depth guys at their positions. My 1B depth chart goes Cooper -> Yaz -> Cater. My 2B/SS/3B backup is Griffin, so Kennedy is the 2nd backup. Ultimately, I cut or trade John Kennedy, and keep Danny Cater as backup 1B. If an injury is suffered at 2B/SS/3B, we have Juan Beniquez to call up. There is no 1B to call up, and I don't want to waste trade assets on bench players if I can help it.

Finally, I trade Tommy Harper, Tony Conigliaro, and John Kennedy for whatever prospect we can get, or cut them if we can't trade them. Harper should bring something back, maybe we have to cut Tony C and/or Kennedy.

Edited by JMDurron, 03 November 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#6 Pozo the Clown

• 164 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

Here is what we have to deal with...

Posted Image

In the name of all that is Sabermetrically Holy, one quick glance at the above instantly reveals that there is one move that must be made ASAP: Carlton Fisk and his fecaltastic .309 OBA must go!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: