Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Who Will Be Our Manager?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Will Be Our Manager? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Will Be Our Manager?

1. Darrell Johnson (8 votes [24.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. Don Zimmer (1 votes [3.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

3. Dick Williams (10 votes [30.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

4. Whitey Herzog (14 votes [42.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Our current manager is Darrell Johnson. He has never managed in the big leagues before but was the Pawtucket manager the year before going 78-68 in his only season in Rhode Island. He is known as a manager with a very slow hook and will often let his starting pitchers wiggle out of trouble before replacing them. He is also quick to rest players in his starting lineup and use his bench often. He is not an agressive or passive base running manager. Considering he was just promoted in October, it may look very bad to fire him before he can manage a big league game.

Another in house option is Don Zimmer. He just joined the coaching staff after two unsuccessful seasons in San Diego where he went 114-190. Zimmer is known as a manager that will not rest his offense very much at all during the season. He, like Johnson is not an agressive or passive base running manager. He is also not known for being quick or slow to pull starting pitchers.

A fan favorite would be Dick Williams who had won the past two World Series with the Oakland A's. He quit due to Charlie Finley's meddling. However, the Yankees recently tried to hire Williams but were told that was not an option because he was still under Oakland's control due to the contract he had signed. To hire Williams, we would likely have to trade Oakland a bench player for the rights to sign him. Williams is known as a manager with neither a quick or slow hook and someone that would likely play his regular lineup but may use his bench a bit more then Zimmer. He also favors a true closer.

The last option is Whitey Herzog. Herzog was let go at the end of last year by the Texas Rangers when Billy Martin became available. Herzog also has neither a slow or quick hook but will typically play regulars. He is also very agressive on the basepaths and will steal a base whenever he gets a chance.

So who do you want to be our manager?

Voting will end TUESDAY at 11:59 PM EST.

#2 snowmanny

• 2,502 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Why do you hate me? I am physically sick.

#3 shepard50

• 4,412 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

I went with Whitey Herzog. I think he has the best chance to:

• Develop the younger players on the team
  • Balance a lineup without killing them (see Zimmer)
  • Think about OBP rather than pure AVG
  • Lead a sustainably winning club (this is my knock on Williams and Johnson)
  • Focus on pitching and defense as well as run production

Sure he's going to risk too much on stolen bases, and yes he is famous for his approach in big, astro-turfed parks (whiteyball) rather than little band boxes, but I am going to assume an ability to adapt.

Williams was great in '67 but I don't think this team is going to need that discipline-first approach. Zimmer is an asshole and I will never hire a manager knowing that he could pull a move like Sprowl over Lee in a key game based on personal dislike of a player. He also almost killed Fisk in 1978 by playing him in 154 games, and I blame Zimmer more than anyone else for the Boston Massacre.

#4 JMDurron

• 4,319 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Given the roster coming into 1974, with a solid bench and lousy bullpen, I want Darrell Johnson. As you describe him, he sounds like the right match of tendencies and roster.

I don't want Zimmer because Zimmer's personality might not mix well with some of the starting pitching, which looks to be one of the team's relative strengths. Assuming perfect future knowledge, there's no way I want him near any MLB lineup with the authority to set (and stick with, AND STICK WITH) a lineup.

I don't want Dick Williams because there's no reason to give up assets to get a manager, plus I'm confident that the young players we currently have will develop just fine without him.

I don't want Whitey Herzog because, in this day and age, wasting outs on the basepaths in Fenway Park is a terrible idea. Just because we know (I assume we act with perfect knowledge of the future? or am I wrong?) he can be successful with a completely different kind of roster in a different league and different ballpark on the different surface does not mean that he will work for the 1970s Red Sox.

Edited by JMDurron, 31 October 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#5 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

I don't want Whitey Herzog because, in this day and age, wasting outs on the basepaths in Fenway Park is a terrible idea. Just because we know (I assume we act with perfect knowledge of the future? or am I wrong?) he can be successful with a completely different kind of roster in a different league and different ballpark on the different surface does not mean that he will work for the 1970s Red Sox.

We don't have perfect knowledge of the future because with every move we make, things change. Plus, we are simulating (not re-creating) a period of history. Basically, we have an idea of who is pre-ordianed to be better then others but that's about it.

#6 JMDurron

• 4,319 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

We don't have perfect knowledge of the future because with every move we make, things change. Plus, we are simulating (not re-creating) a period of history. Basically, we have an idea of who is pre-ordianed to be better then others but that's about it.

My apologies, I was imprecise. We have perfect knowledge of our history (such as knowing what a moron Don Zimmer is), but not of what the future history will be in this universe that we are effectively creating. Got it.

#7 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

I went with Whitey Herzog. I think he has the best chance to:

Same here, for pretty much the same reasons. Zimmer is not an option IMHO. I'm not sure how much capacity this scenario has to model managers anyway. (Can they model someone who has a slow hook in the regular season and a quicker one in the post-season?)

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume Darrell Johnson was never hired? I supposed it depends when you when you switch GM's. Although sometimes new managers are "interim" until they can be confirmed by a new GM. You see that more in football though.

#8 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

Same here, for pretty much the same reasons. Zimmer is not an option IMHO. I'm not sure how much capacity this scenario has to model managers anyway. (Can they model someone who has a slow hook in the regular season and a quicker one in the post-season?)

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume Darrell Johnson was never hired? I supposed it depends when you when you switch GM's. Although sometimes new managers are "interim" until they can be confirmed by a new GM. You see that more in football though.

The managers will have the same tendancies in the playoffs as they do in the regular season.

Darrell Johnson was hired. This roster will have Juan Marichal (among others) who was signed after Johnson was hired.

#9 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

BUMP.

Just a few hours remain to pick our manager...

#10 JMDurron

• 4,319 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

This roster is not built for aggressive baserunning, people! Don't let the name fool you, Tommy Harper isn't that fast anymore (28 SB/12 CS in the real 1974). This isn't a real-life Herzog who will presumably adapt to his roster, this is a simulated Herzog with a high "steal bases!" rating, even in Fenway on grass instead of in St Louis on turf. Vote NO on Whitey! :gonk:

#11 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

Whitey Herzog was named manager of the 1974 Red Sox. Fans in Boston are not pleased considering how poorly he did with the Texas Rangers the year before. He will be signed to a 2 yr/200K deal.

#12 JMDurron

• 4,319 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

Does that mean our bank account just went from 582K to 482K? Are the players on the roster already accounted for, or is that to be revealed in future budget discussions?

#13 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

Does that mean our bank account just went from 582K to 482K? Are the players on the roster already accounted for, or is that to be revealed in future budget discussions?

Sorry. I should have been more clear. Our bank account does not change unless we fire him.

I will have a post about the budget tonight as well as our first chance to extend someone's contract.

#14 jaytf123

• 249 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

God I hope we don't have a 7 game lead in late August and then lose the division by 7.