Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Using WAR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10029 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

The use of WAR as a stat to talk about player value is on the rise here. Because of this, we ask that posters who do use WAR to also let people know which version of WAR they are using. Baseball Reference and Fangraphs calculate WAR differently. Since WAR is a combination stat, it would also help tremendously if you’d break down both the offensive component and the defensive component whenever you post using WAR.

Fangraphs uses Park Adjusted Runs Above Average based on wOBA to calculate the offensive component and UZR to calculate the defensive component. You can learn more about it here and here.

Baseball Reference uses the Sean Smith’s WAR data. You can learn more about how it is calculated here and more about Sean Smith here.

Thanks

#2 Wilco's Last Fan

• 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Can we make the thread title "WAR! What is it good for?"

#3 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10029 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

Some fan you are.

#4 Wilco's Last Fan

• 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Some fan you are.

I'm equal parts a fan of sabermetrics and Edwin Starr. Needless to say the ladies do not always shower me with love.

And I promise I'll have something germane to the topic to add soon, I just liked my thread title

#5 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10029 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

I'm equal parts a fan of sabermetrics and Edwin Starr. Needless to say the ladies do not always shower me with love.

And I promise I'll have something germane to the topic to add soon, I just liked my thread title

I meant of Wilco.

#6 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 19114 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

Good God, y'all.

and in answer to your title's question: Absolutely Nothing.

#7 Wilco's Last Fan

• 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:59 AM

I meant of Wilco.

Someday people will recognize the efficiency of sophisticated mathematical analysis in evaluating contributions to the greater good (like a player's worth in wins to his team). On that day, sabermetrics will probably go from being underappreciated to vastly overused and inexplicably spill over into completely random parts of our daily life, like figuring out whether Wilco deserves the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album over Radiohead. With a close enough look, a sabermusician will calculate that they've got a 1.0 YHFAR, or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Over Replacement Band.

And, like I promised, something relevant: I found this article on Baseball Analysts when confusion over the recent influx of baseball-related acronyms first set in, I thought it was a good way to ease in to an understanding of WAR. Plus it has an equally shitty pun to the one I suggested, so that's comforting.

Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users