Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

PC Hoops- 10-11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#51 steveluck7

• 1,153 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

Rumor has it that Ricky Ledo's commitment will soon follow. We'll see.

A class of Ledo, Dunn, Fortune, and a big like, say, Zach Auguste, would rank in the Top 10.

Has that ever happened? The Friars are back.

I was working at Fairfield while Cooley was there and one thing I can tell you is that he is an amazing recruiter and the kids absolutely love playing for him. 4 years ago I was openly wondering what he could do on the recruiting trail at a "big time" school playing in a real conference. We're apparently starting to see.

#52 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,886 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Maybe I am just gun shy from the Keno experience, but I will get excited when these kids actually sign letters of intent and set foot on campus.

#53 Butch Hobsons elbo chips

• 3,701 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Congratulations. Huge commit for PC.
Cooley needs to capitalize on this and get sharpshooting Ledo back as well...and keep troublemaker Ledo on a short leash and eligible to play.

BTW, head to head with UConn is s bit of a stretch as it has been reported by multiple recruiting analysts that Calhoun was barely paying attention to Dunn this summer. (UConn is in the market for 2012 BIGS not guards.) Dunn picked the right place where he will be the focus and get tutored by Lafleur.

Dunn (PC), Arcidiacono (Nova) & Robinson (Pitt) all top 10 PG's heading to Big East in 2012.

Ed Cooley leading a revival at Providence. :)
Time to make the donuts.

Edited by Butch Hobsons elbo chips, 24 August 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#54 Izzy Alcantara

• 302 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

With Dunn to PC- do Ledo and Drummond follow suit and take their talents to Providence?

#55 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,676 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

With Dunn to PC- do Ledo and Drummond follow suit and take their talents to Providence?

Drummond is taking his talents to the NBA draft next year and I think Ledo will go to either Syracuse or Kentucky.

#56 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,589 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

Right now, after Dunn, PC has the #16 class according to ESPN

http://insider.espn....=8&viewmore=yes

Ed Cooley's bound and determined to stock the Providence Friars with Big East level talent. When the coach was at Fairfield, he was all over an under-the-radar point guard named Kris Dunn (New London, Conn./New London). Fast forward a year and now Cooley's in the Big East and Dunn is the nation's No. 2 point guard in the nation. Dunn committed to the Friars in August, upsetting a host of programs including Louisville and Georgetown that desperately wanted to receive an official visit from him. With Dunn, the Friars now have a legitimate weapon in the backcourt who can get to the rim and create for others. He's got amazing upside. On the wing, Josh Fortune (Hampton, Va./Kecoughtan) is prepared to bring a blue-collar work ethic and his status as a late-bloomer only further bolsters Providence's class.

Ledo is on campus today, but says he is not committing anywhere today. A signing of Ledo would easily propel them into the top 10.

#57 pdaj

• 2,438 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Drummond is taking his talents to the NBA draft next year and I think Ledo will go to either Syracuse or Kentucky.

Speculation is strong that Ledo ends up in Providence - maybe by the end of the week. Next week at the latest.

But who knows? 18/19 year old high school kids are extremely unpredictable.

I think he'll be a Friar, though.

#58 Butch Hobsons elbo chips

• 3,701 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

It will be interesting to see what 5'7 waterbug Kiwi Gardner can do for PC this year. He was the Wast Coast version of Achille Carr...lol
He will break a lot of knee caps with his quickness.

And he has a 5'5 brother named PeeWee Gardner in the class of 2012. :rolleyes:

Edited by Butch Hobsons elbo chips, 24 August 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#59 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,589 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

Per Fox 64's Eric Murphy: Ricky Ledo expected to verbally commit to PC early next week.

#60 god loves the sox

• 722 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...ovidence-friars

#61 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,405 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6932818/highly-touted-prospect-ricardo-ledo-headed-hometown-providence-friars

Providence only school with 2 recruits in Rivals Top-10. Ledo at #8, Dunn at #10.
http://rivals.yahoo....kings/rank-2509

Providence class of 2012 currently up to #3 on one list.
http://www.maxpreps....ng-classes-.htm

I still have reservations about whether Ledo will both arrive on PC's campus and be eligible to play.....however it is still fun to see the Providence with it's best recruiting class since the Dickie Simpkins/Michael Smith class.

#62 god loves the sox

• 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Ledo Signs - http://news.providen...ce-college.html

#63 BoredViewer

• 2,289 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

I think this is a good pick up. Rakim Sanders must feel really good about now. :(

Fairfield is no joke. Monday matchup vs. Providence should be a fun one.

#64 steveluck7

• 1,153 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

It will be. I wish I could be there. I worked at Fairfield while Ed Cooley was there. The ever apathetic Fairfield student body should be adequately charged up for this one.

#65 pdaj

• 2,438 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

PC puts together a strong effort for a nice, surprising early season win.

Cotton has seemed to improve his outside shot tremendously. It remains to see how he competes amongst the bigger, stronger players in the BE, but he's developing into a solid player.

Big win for Ed Cooley.

#66 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 10,405 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Vegas gave Fairfield some amazing respect there. I know the Friars are weak this year but when have the Stags EVER been an 8-point favorite over a Big East team?

#67 BoredViewer

• 2,289 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Frustrating game for a Faifield fan.

Reminded me of how I felt after the Pats lost to the Jets in the playoffs, last year: "C'mon....we should beat these guys!" Cooley outcoached Johnson. Council and Cotton were noticeably outstanding.

PC looks like a team that will have defensive problems in the BE. Not sure how many times they will have to face as talented an individual player as Sanders (seriously), but the Fairfield 8-26 from 3pt. range (and I think it was even 5-22 at one point before some late makes) looked to be much more the product of bad Fairfield shootiing than good PC defending.

Great effort by his players and an excellent job by Cooley. I think the big talent is supposed to start arriving next year and the future looks very bright in Providence.

#68 Mloaf71

• 96 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

First Big East win for Cool and the Gang last night!

Haven't seen PC play D like that in a long time! Program is moving in the right direction.

#69 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Recruit Kris Dunn continues to explode, going for 32 points and 22 rebounds against Rhode Island's state champs and going against a PG (Correa) who should go to a decent D1 Program.

He is the #3 ranked PG now....#29 overall, but that 29 should improve with later rankings. Probably not going to overtake the top 2 PG though.

There is some issue with Ricky Ledo's eligibility next year, but they have a long time to figure that out.

They are still very much in the running for 2 big men for next year (Chris Obekpa and Jakkar Sampson). Landing either one of those would be HUGE.

Sampson de-committed from St. John's and is the #32nd overall (#9 PF) and Obekpa is #91 overall, 19th PF.

#70 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,089 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

http://news.providen...n-barnes-c.html

Marvin Barnes arrested on suspicion of soliciting a 17 year-old girl Who was in his mentoring program, begging the question of what Marvin Barnes was doing with a mentoring program.

So sad -- it was such a joy to watch Marvin battlebaxk in the day

#71 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,589 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Been a busy couple days for PC. They have received transfer Sidiki Johnson from Arizona who will be eligible to play next fall. 6'8, 235 lb PF who last year was on everybody's top 100 list, going as high as 71. Got into some trouble with Arizona's coach and was suspended, looks like maturity issues. But, according to scouts, without those issues, he definitely should have been seeing significant minutes, even on a high profile program like Arizona.

Two recruits, Ricardo Ledo and Kris Dunn made the roster for the Jordan Brand Classic game on April 14th. Only UNC, Kentucky and Arizona have 2 recruits playing.

http://www.jordanbra...ast-roster.html

Gets back on the winning track with a home win vs. Rutgers last night, but the biggest news is that Nerlens Noel, the #2 ranked 2013 recruit reclassified for 2012. He listed PC as one of his finalists. He immediately became ESPN's #1 2012 recruit.

Furthermore, a source has said that Noel is "leaning towards PC"

http://www.golocalpr...ing-towards-pc/

Now, I truly think there is like a 5-10% chance they land him, as they are battling with Cuse, UCONN, Kentucky, Florida and G-Town. BUT he has stated that Coach Cooley is the most inspirational coach he has come across and that he likes that Cooley has a plan for PC. Him and Ledo and Dunn are friends. His two teammates, Wayne Selden and Brandon Bibbs said in an interview that they both see him going to Kentucky (this was a few months ago) and Noel said (from the background) that name schools aren't everything. Sometimes they are just that, a name and you have to do whats right for you and follow your heart...damn now I am talking myself into thinking they have an OK shot...I'll stop now.

#72 pdaj

• 2,438 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Nice win last night against the taller, more talented (albeit dysfunctional) UConn team last night. The Dunk crowd was at its loudest all year for the final 10 minutes of this one.

Hopefully the Friars can finish strong and grab a game in the BET. With a strong recruiting class coming in, the positive vibes are back ...

#73 NickEsasky

• 6,886 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Beating UConn is PC's swallows returning to San Capistrano. You can count on it every year no matter how bad we are.

My friend John at work who is a huge UConn fan told me about a hilarious tweet that went something like "Someone tell the UConn players that Providence's two best players are still in high school."

#74 pdaj

• 2,438 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

My friend John at work who is a huge UConn fan told me about a hilarious tweet that went something like "Someone tell the UConn players that Providence's two best players are still in high school."

Funny stuff, although VC has really turned into quite a player. I hope he's smart enough to stay in school another year. It'd be fun to see what he could do surrounded with Big East talent. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a couple breathers on the bench here and there, too.

#75 NickEsasky

• 6,886 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Well that certainly sucked last night. Maybe choking in big games has something to do with the water in Providence as opposed to it being all a product of Tim Welsh or Keno.

Hoping for better things next year.