Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

PC Hoops- 10-11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

While things went absolutely disastrous for the Friars over the summer (Parade All-American Joe Young de-committing and PC not letting him out of his letter, kicking Greedy Peterson off the team, Naadir Tharpe reneging on his commitment and signing with Kansas, losing Khem Birch- a top 5 player in class of 2011 and recruiter extraordinaire Pat Skerry to Pitt)...not ALL is bad!

PC just signed thier first '11 player, 6'6 swingman Markus Crider from Ohio. Seems like a good kid, 30-star prospect who had offers from Michigan, DePaul, and Wisconsin. He said he loved every single second of his trip to PC and it was an easy decision.

He will be in attendance at Midnight Maddness this weekend...as will SEVEN top 100 recruits (3 in the class of 2011).

To-40 (6th overall PG) Ryan Boatright has said it has come down to PC and West Virginia and he will decide this weekend.

Top-75 forward Tyler Harris

Top 40- Center (and 4th ranked center) Michael Chandler has also said PC is in his final top 2 and will decide early November. It has also come down to WV and PC.

#2 pdaj

• 2,415 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for starting this! I was kind of waiting for something HUGE to happen before making this thread (such as weekend commitments from Boatright, Chandler, Harris, and Noel ;)), but after last night's LNM, it was certainly time. From all accounts, last night was a blast. I caught a live stream from work, and trust me, it's worth viewing.

http://www.friars.co...askbl-body.html

The place was rockin', God Shammgod was in attendance, and Bryce Cotton's dunks were insane. Despite all the bullshit that transpired over the off-season, there's a lot of positive vibes circling the program right now. Let's hope it leads to a couple of key commitments in the near future.

Edited by pdaj, 16 October 2010 - 10:01 PM.

#3 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ugh...Boatright commits to West Virginia...says Huggins was the reason.

Now the PG focus is on Kyan Anderson, from Texas who has interest from Oklahoma, OK st. and Bradley.

#4 alskor

• 610 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

Ugh...Boatright commits to West Virginia...says Huggins was the reason.

Now the PG focus is on Kyan Anderson, from Texas who has interest from Oklahoma, OK st. and Bradley.

So you're saying it came down to money? :)

#5 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,437 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

PC comes down here to Stony Brook for a closed scrimmage tomorrow morning.

#6 pdaj

• 2,415 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

PC comes down here to Stony Brook for a closed scrimmage tomorrow morning.

Hey slackers, any of you headed to the game today? Leavin' in a few and hoping for a powder-blue bashing!

#7 makinaw peaches

• 316 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Big day for the Friars. Ricky Ledo, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, committed to PC after being recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Louisville, Texas, Uconn, Kansas and many other high profile schools. He is ranked by Scout.com and Rivals.com as the #7 player in the class of 2012 and ESPN has him as the #13 player. If this all pans out, it could be a program changer.

Kevin McNamara's Hoops Blog

#8 Pmoose82

• 79 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Big day for the Friars. Ricky Ledo, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, committed to PC after being recruited by the likes of Kentucky, Louisville, Texas, Uconn, Kansas and many other high profile schools. He is ranked by Scout.com and Rivals.com as the #7 player in the class of 2012 and ESPN has him as the #13 player. If this all pans out, it could be a program changer.

Kevin McNamara's Hoops Blog

Very exciting news. I thought for sure that PC was going to let this kid slip through their fingers, especially after all of the talk of Pitino coaching the PR national team. It's great to see a local product willing to accept the challenge. Hopefully the program continues to move forward in the next year and a half, so he doesn't have any reasons for changing his mind (at least we can cross off being homesick as a possible excuse for backing out).

#9 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

Ricky was awesome in his one year at Hendricken. He will put fans in seats at The Dunk for sure. Is he PC's best recruit since God?

#10 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

PC loses its 17th consecutive Big East game dropping a close one on the road to USF. They've given USF and Rutgers their only Big East wins this season. Of the 12 games remaining on the Big East schedule, only 3 look winnable (the aforementioned USF, Rutgers and another winless team DePaul).

#11 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,856 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

At least Keno can recruit criminals.

#12 god loves the sox

• 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Welcome home, Ricky boy!

#13 Pmoose82

• 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Another impressive win at home last night. It's great to finally see them playing hard on defense for 40 minutes. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going and get a win at Seton Hall on Sunday.

#14 god loves the sox

• 722 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yes!

#15 khalid1973

• 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Imagine if they could have held on in the SJU, Pitt and South Florida games. They may be ranked right now.

#16 NoLastCall125

• 524 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

Watching PC all year, I feel like they are a much better team than their record shows. Plus the Dunk has become a dangerous place for opposing teams to come in. If these young kids can just keep building off these wins, when their seniors and juniors in a couple of years, this team might actually be pretty awesome.

Even with their high rebounding numbers this year, though, I still think they're a big man short. Keno can totally recruit guards and small forwards, but I want to see some centers on this team to take them to the next level and really make them well rounded.

#17 khalid1973

• 104 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

What happened to Dixon? He's completely fallen off the radar.

#18 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

What happened to Dixon? He's completely fallen off the radar.

I dunno...but he has had some AWFUL body language as of late...watch the espn.com highlights of the Louisville game...as PC sealed it in THE last few seconds, the team is jumping up and down on the bench...he is just sittng there with his arms crossed.

#19 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Very exciting news. I thought for sure that PC was going to let this kid slip through their fingers, especially after all of the talk of Pitino coaching the PR national team. It's great to see a local product willing to accept the challenge. Hopefully the program continues to move forward in the next year and a half, so he doesn't have any reasons for changing his mind (at least we can cross off being homesick as a possible excuse for backing out).

Took Ricky a little over a month to back out.

#20 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Marshon Brooks scored a Big East record 52 against ND tonight breaking Eric Murdock's record of 48.

Would have been nice to get more W's this season, but Brooks has been incredible.

#21 Domer

• 1,908 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

I was at the Dunkin' Donuts Center last night (surprisingly a really nice place to watch a college basketball game) and witnessed Big East history. There is a cool video up with all of Brooks's 52 points. http://bit.ly/fEnG8v It was certainly a really weird game. I never felt like Notre Dame was in danger of losing until the final two minutes: check out Ken Pomeroy's win probably chart. The Providence press was really effective and Brey countered by putting out Atkins the point and moving Hansbrough to the other guard. Atkins was invisible offensively with zero shots, zero assists, and only three made free throws off of two intentional fouls. I was impressed with Brooks on and off the court. After the loss, he stayed and signed autographs for anyone who wanted one.

#22 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,856 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Kind of disheartening that Lavin can turn around St. John's in a year, but the Friars are still nobodies in the BE.

#23 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Now we have Donaldson calling for Keno's head. Losing 25 out of 28 in the Big East over the past two seasons along with 0 road wins this season will do that. I'd be shocked if Driscoll can make a move with Keno having 5 years remaining on his deal.

Isn't it time though for PC to re-evaluate its position in the basketball world? I don't think this program has a realistic chance to be a winning team in the Big East as it is currently constructed. There's just way too many big schools and successful programs in that league. The best hope is for the football schools to cause a split and possibly be a mid-range team in a Catholic schools/non-football schools league.

Edited by shawnrbu, 02 March 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#24 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1,689 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Does the axe fall on Keno today?

#25 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

there is a lot of talk about them negotiating a buyout with in the next couple of days.

#26 pdaj

• 2,415 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

there is a lot of talk about them negotiating a buyout with in the next couple of days.

Thank God! The Friars need new leadership. The coaching search can't begin soon enough ...

#27 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

http://m.projo.com/p...Kk02oFh&src=cat

#28 berniecarbo1

• 1,091 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

http://m.projo.com/p...Kk02oFh&src=cat

They were discussing this on ESPN tonight during the Marquette-WVU game. I am not a PC follower but what happened here? Keno was coach of the year a few years back and he came in with a lot of promise. PC has two major sports (hockey and hoops) and both have been down for a long, long time. I went to a PC hockey game last year and it was depressing. Schneider once was a mini death valley but that was when Tim Army was playing not coaching. The basketball team at one time was a major power and was not someone you wanted to play....again back in the Middle Ages.

PC is a small school but is very quaint and one can get a good education there. I wonder, however, if time has passed it by. Would they be better off moving to the A-10 in hoops and the Atlantic in hockey. It can't compete anymore with the Syracuse and UConn's of the world and its hockey team can't compete wit BC, BU, UNH, UVM and Northeastern in hockey on a regular basis. If they moved to these new conferences wouldn't they dramatically improve their NCAA Tournament chances? Just a thought. But if Keno can't get the program going, and the hockey team has been lapped by Merrimack, I just question what the longterm hope, if any, there is for Providence in D1 sports. Very, very sad.

#29 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

My (not an expertise or anything) take....Keno plays a high energy offensive game that can attract a lot of highly reguarded recruits. His defensive system is lacking. he doesn't have a whole lot of control of his players...and he won Coach of the Year with an entire team that he inherited by his father.

#30 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Not that I want my alma mata to lose him but I wonder if PC would be interested in Tom Moore of Quinnipiac.

#31 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,249 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

Keno Davis officially fired according to Providence press statement.

#32 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,067 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Keno's done -- ESPN

#33 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Keno's done -- ESPN

Now that Keno is out one interesting combination to follow would be Chris Collins or Wojo from Duke. I don't believe Driscoll wants to stake his career on a coach with no head coaching experience however the petigree is there. Also their director of basketball operations is a local kid (Pepperell, MA went to HS at Lawrence Academy) so you could see him come along. He is however married to Coach K's daughter which might make him not want to leave.

#34 berniecarbo1

• 1,091 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Obviously not shocked by this as it has been rumored for a while but PC is not, and I repeat is not, an attractive job. The guy that will fill this opening will be someone from a D II or low mid major program who is looking to step up to a major conferene, hopefully do a better job than Keno and move on. But it won't be easy. As much as say moving from the CAA , MAAC or Patriot or say from BU to PC is in theory a tick up, PC has so many problems and so many things going against it at this point in its Basketball history that it is not an automatic that someone from one of those programs/leagues would necessarily want the job. Interesting to see who they might finally get.

#35 redsahx

• 1,407 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

They were discussing this on ESPN tonight during the Marquette-WVU game. I am not a PC follower but what happened here? Keno was coach of the year a few years back and he came in with a lot of promise. PC has two major sports (hockey and hoops) and both have been down for a long, long time. I went to a PC hockey game last year and it was depressing. Schneider once was a mini death valley but that was when Tim Army was playing not coaching. The basketball team at one time was a major power and was not someone you wanted to play....again back in the Middle Ages.

PC is a small school but is very quaint and one can get a good education there. I wonder, however, if time has passed it by. Would they be better off moving to the A-10 in hoops and the Atlantic in hockey. It can't compete anymore with the Syracuse and UConn's of the world and its hockey team can't compete wit BC, BU, UNH, UVM and Northeastern in hockey on a regular basis. If they moved to these new conferences wouldn't they dramatically improve their NCAA Tournament chances? Just a thought. But if Keno can't get the program going, and the hockey team has been lapped by Merrimack, I just question what the longterm hope, if any, there is for Providence in D1 sports. Very, very sad.

Back in 2004 the team cracked the top 10 in the polls, and was an NCAA bubble team just two years ago finishing with a winning record in the Big East. This year, while clearly not a legit tournament team, they managed to hang with a lot of elite teams, beating Louisville and Villanova, and coming very close to winning at Georgetown, at Syracuse, as well as at home against Pitt, Notre Dame and St. Johns. I wonder what the team would have looked like if Greedy Peterson hadn't screwed up over the summer and gotten kicked off, and that kid Young from Texas had actually come. Obviously Marshon Brooks would have suffered from having to play with Greedy again, but the added firepower might have put them in position to compete for a tournament bid. A team with Council, Brooks, and Peterson, plus Coleman and Young would have been very entertaining.

My gut feeling is it might have been better to give Keno one more year. He seemed to be doing a decent job on the recruiting trail, as his system did appeal to many players. Now they have to really blow things up again and the job appears even less appealing. Who knows, maybe Driscoll actually thinks he is going to get Rick Pitino back this time.(EDIT: For those that don't know, Providence actually did pursue Rick Pitino three years ago and he actually considered their offer, saying the idea of returning to Providence again intrigued him)

Edited by redsahx, 11 March 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#36 richgedman'sghost

• 499 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

Just throwing a name out there, but how about Ed Cooley from Fairfield University? He is an ex BC assistant ( local connection) who has turned around a pretty dormant program here at Fairfield. The characteristics of Fairfield U and Providence are very smilar: small Catholic school on a basketball dominated campus. He is also a great recruiter as well. As an almunus of Fairfield I'd hate to see him go, but I recognize he probably has to move on to bigger and better things.
P.S. As a sidenote, why doesn't Providence move to the MAAC? It seems like they have more in common with the Fairfields and Sienas of the world, than UCONN and ND?

#37 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1,689 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

My gut feeling is it might have been better to give Keno one more year. He seemed to be doing a decent job on the recruiting trail, as his system did appeal to many players. Now they have to really blow things up again and the job appears even less appealing. Who knows, maybe Driscoll actually thinks he is going to get Rick Pitino back this time.(EDIT: For those that don't know, Providence actually did pursue Rick Pitino three years ago and he actually considered their offer, saying the idea of returning to Providence again intrigued him)

Supposedly Pitino more than considered it. When everyone went to bed that night, Pitino was the coach at PC. But ulitmately his wife didn't want to leave Lousiville.

#38 berniecarbo1

• 1,091 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

Supposedly Pitino more than considered it. When everyone went to bed that night, Pitino was the coach at PC. But ulitmately his wife didn't want to leave Lousiville.

I have another guy who is a bit controversial, but I think would be good: Mike Jarvis who is a New england guy, and is now at Florida Atlantic. They went 21-10 this year, probably in the NIT and has taken a garbage program and made it respectable. He knows the BE having had pretty good success at St. john's. He got muscled out of there because he was stupid and didn't keep better tabs on his assistants and players. Not much different than Calhoun at UConn, in fact less bad if you will. I think he could bring the program back and probably wouldn;'t walk after 3 years. He has won everywhere he has gone (BU, GW, SJU, FAU)...He has roots in New England knows the AAU guys in the Northeast and if the fiinancial package was good enough....he might take it.

Check out Florida Atlantic basketball on the web. They are in the Sun Belt (they play W Kentucky, Ark-Little Rock, etc.) and they have improved every year since he has been there (6-26, 14-16, 21-10). Driscoll could do a lot worse.

And having had a chance to think about it a bit.....PC would be crazy to leave the BE from a financial standpoint. I don't think the A10 and certainly the MAAC would return the league $$ to PC that the BE does...and what does that say that a founding memeber of the best hoops league in the country, with its first two comissioners having such close PC ties, would leave, not for a comparable conference but take such a step down. The BE owes it to PC to help keep the program afloat and have a viable team in Providence. But the prgram really has to get its act together and soon.

Edited by berniecarbo1, 12 March 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#39 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 9,899 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

Obviously Marshon Brooks would have suffered from having to play with Greedy again, but the added firepower might have put them in position to compete for a tournament bid. A team with Council, Brooks, and Peterson, plus Coleman and Young would have been very entertaining.

Entertaining, yes, but they still would have been a big time loser. The team had zero interest in playing defense. Keno's style was not going to work in the Big East with the caliber of players you could seriously expect to play at PC. At least Welsh's teams did usually play D and PC's story the last 12 years is "close, but not enough" so I'm not going to count "almost" wins against Pitt and Georgetown as anything for the team to hang their hat on.

#40 pdaj

• 2,415 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Ed Cooley's name is gaining a lot of steam. Some are even speculating that he was targeted as Keno's replacement as far back as January.

#41 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Word is right now that It is Cooley if he wants it...

#42 berniecarbo1

• 1,091 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Word is right now that It is Cooley if he wants it...

He fits the MO of the coach PC would be targeting. He knows the BE and being from RI, understands PC basketball. Having brought back Fairfield in the MAAC he understands the small catholic northeast college basketball mentality and what it takes to succeed in a program like that. I only hope that if he takes the job, the administration lets him do what he has to do to bring the program back. Cuz, if a guy like Cooley fails at PC, then I can't think of anyone who would succeed there, and who would want the job at that point.

#43 god loves the sox

• 722 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Jim Obrien is in the mix.

#44 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,542 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Jim Obrien is in the mix.

Nah, false report...

http://hoopsblog.pro...obrien-not.html

#45 Pmoose82

• 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

Ed Cooley is the new coach.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6247550

I think that Cooley is a great pick and will bring a lot of much needed discipline to the program. Hopefully this means that every game won't feature a career night from somebody on the opposition.

#46 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,317 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Ed Cooley is the new coach.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6247550

I think that Cooley is a great pick and will bring a lot of much needed discipline to the program. Hopefully this means that every game won't feature a career night from somebody on the opposition.

I think this is a good pick up. Rakim Sanders must feel really good about now. :(

#47 BS_SoxFan

• 1,937 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I think this is a good pick up. Rakim Sanders must feel really good about now. :(

So is there any chance Rakim plays a game for Fairfield? I'd imagine he's looking to go pro in Europe as we speak. I can't see him staying at Fairfield without Cooley there and I also can't see him sitting out a second season to play at Providence. Then again, it made just as little sense to transfer with one season of eligibility left, so who knows?

#48 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

So is there any chance Rakim plays a game for Fairfield? I'd imagine he's looking to go pro in Europe as we speak. I can't see him staying at Fairfield without Cooley there and I also can't see him sitting out a second season to play at Providence. Then again, it made just as little sense to transfer with one season of eligibility left, so who knows?

He has to play at Fairfield or leave, Providence is not an option unless he gets a waiver from the NCAA. You have 5 years to play 4 unless there is an injury.

#49 Dan Murfman

• 2,400 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

And Coach Cooley lands a big one. They went head to head with UConn and landed a top 10 recruit in New London's Kris Dunn.

Kris Dunn to PC

#50 pdaj

• 2,415 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

And Coach Cooley lands a big one. They went head to head with UConn and landed a top 10 recruit in New London's Kris Dunn.

Kris Dunn to PC

Rumor has it that Ricky Ledo's commitment will soon follow. We'll see.

A class of Ledo, Dunn, Fortune, and a big like, say, Zach Auguste, would rank in the Top 10.

Has that ever happened? The Friars are back.