Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Website Hosting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6817 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

After a few half-hearted attempts to update my website, I've decided to reduce the problem by skipping learning HTML and using a Wordpress powered site that runs the Thesis theme (by DIY themes).

I also need to find hosting for the new site, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on DreamHost (which is what my wife uses). They seem to offer decent Wordpress integration, but of any of the tech gurus here have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

#2 PortlandSoxFan

• Father of Idontgiveafuckism

• 5805 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

I host several SoSHer's wordpress sites, at a pretty deep discount. All I give is the space and the wordpress install, though. There are at least 5 I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm not an actual hosting company; I just lease a dedicated server and have tons of space.

My employer's website is on the server (as are 5 or 6 of mine), so rest assured if there are any issues with the server, they get addressed ASAP. Shoot me a PM if interested.

#3 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7980 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

I use Dreamhost, and it works fine - nothing special, nothing to really recommend it, but it works, their policies aren't overly onerous, and they don't care what you do so long as it doesn't impact other users. (Not that you're likely to do anything in that ballpark, but it's nice to know they won't yank your website if you start getting a lot of hits.)

#4 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 18602 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Questions...

It's time to move my paid subscriber/blog website off of GoDaddy. I'm thinking of going with HostGator. But I'm interested in input from knowledgeable SoSHers about other options. I'm looking to grow this business and take it to the next level in coming months. It's a wordpress blog that uses 'YourMembers' plugins to create a paid subscirber gateway. I'm going to have the YourMembers people do the work of moving the site to whatever new servers. There will be a domain name change as well, though I'll have the old domain point to the new one also.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#5 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7608 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I currently admin sites hosted on GreenGeeks, HostGator and DreamHost.

Out of those, I prefer DreamHost- they don't use CPanel however. They're customer support is to me better than the others (avoid GreenGeeks).

Moving a WP site isn't bad, you just have to make sure the htaccess and config.php files are updated to reflect the new info. And of course database synching.

#6 weeba

• 1329 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

I use dreamhost as well.

If you want, I can generate a promo code for you for a chunk off of hosting (you save, I get a referral bonus)

#7 Monbo Jumbo

• 18602 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I use dreamhost as well.

If you want, I can generate a promo code for you for a chunk off of hosting (you save, I get a referral bonus)

Yes,please. Thanks.

Also. Thoughts on going with vps versus shared hosting? At what point to you need VPS? And I don't understand howls RAM determines vps pricing.

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 30 January 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#8 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7980 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Unless you need your own IP address or are using a lot of resources by yourself, you don't need a VPS. If you don't know if you need one, you probably don't need one.

If you need one, dear fucking god should you not use Dreamhost for it. Linode is probably the preeminent VPS provider out there, unless you need the enterprisey stuff offered by Amazon or Rackspace Cloud. Any VPS is going to require some skilled technical administration, though.

#9 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14240 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Unless you need your own IP address or are using a lot of resources by yourself, you don't need a VPS. If you don't know if you need one, you probably don't need one.

If you need one, dear fucking god should you not use Dreamhost for it. Linode is probably the preeminent VPS provider out there, unless you need the enterprisey stuff offered by Amazon or Rackspace Cloud. Any VPS is going to require some skilled technical administration, though.

Rackspace cloud is awesome, but like Blacken said if you don't know why you need a VPS then you don't need it--and you need someone who knows real admin skills for it.

Dreamhost is the consensus best WordPress host among the folks I know, FWIW.

#10 weeba

• 1329 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yes,please. Thanks.

Also. Thoughts on going with vps versus shared hosting? At what point to you need VPS? And I don't understand howls RAM determines vps pricing.

Created a promo code for $40 off with Dreamhost. The code is sosh

#11 Monbo Jumbo

• 18602 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

great thanks -

Yes - looks like I don't need VPS. I have camtasia videos on my site now hosted on screencast.com - but they aren't completely secure. Going to be moving them to Amazon S3/Cloudfront after I move the server and change the domain name.

#12 weeba

• 1329 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

NP. That code is good for anyone, so no rush.

#13 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7608 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

For VPS, especially with Joomla, I highly, I highly recommend Rochen.

#14 Monbo Jumbo

• 18602 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

and it gets better - that code is worth $40 per year, so signing up for two years saves $80.

#15 weeba

• 1329 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, I set the two year discount at just double the 1 year.

#16 Trlicek's Whip

• 2919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Weeba, is the Dreamhost code still active? Wanting to set up my WP blog/site through them based on the intel from this thread.

#17 Monbo Jumbo

• 18602 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

wrong thread

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 23 April 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#18 weeba

• 1329 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, that code is multi use and should still be available.