Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

"Four Days in October" - The Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#351 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,776 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

My only complaint...they took some liberties with fan shots at Fenway, the kid peeking through his fingers was from Game 5, not 4, a few more instances I noticed. I've watched the dvds enough to know. I realize they were just advancing the story, still, it's a documentary, stay true to the actual events...

Keith Olbermann, ladies and gentleman

#352 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,490 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Terry Francona, winning TWO huge arguments with the umps in the playoffs in Yankee Stadium.

Think about that, how many managers ever WIN an argument with the the umps when he comes out to complain? Certainly not as a visitor in Yankee Stadium in the playoffs, with everything on the line. Twice.

Tito was calm but determined and got the freaking job DONE. A Piniella type would have just run out there to bitch and get thrown out, but wouldn't have gotten the calls corrected. Grady Littlebrain wouldn't have even budged his moron ass out of the dugout.

Add Francona to the indispensible list. Foulke, Ortiz, Bellhorn, Schilling, Lowe, Roberts, Varitek, Wakefield, Millar, Mueller, Cabrera, Leskanic, Nixon, Damon, and the rest-- you can't even rank them in order, because if any one of them or the others doesn't do their job, it all falls apart. Everyone on the roster had to do a job and they all did.

Together, these are the greatest sports moments of all time.

#353 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,497 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Watching on DVR right now. Ortiz just went deep in Game 4 and wouldn't you know it, it got a little dusty in here.

I remember exactly where I was at that moment. Sitting in a backless chair in my friend's college dorm room. Needless to say, I sat in that chair for the remainder of the playoffs. I like to think I played a role.

#354 Sparky Lyle

• Ask me about my nightstick

• 3,428 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

You write lots of words. I like these best.

I just watched it. On DVR. I can't stop crying. I will never erase it.

And I'm not drunk.

#355 Alcohol&Overcalls

• 1,214 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

This was the best period of my life and always will be. I don't care what that says about me or my life.

I don't really know a number to multiply by for the "this" . . . but that's it. I just keep shaking my head, hours (and 2 viewings) later. Awesome.

#356 Pandemonium67

• 3,242 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

It's been six years and I still can't decide who was the biggest hero coming out of that series. Curt is right there, but Lowe pitching on two days rest, Foulke killing his arm with all those pitches, Roberts steal, Millar's walk to start it all, you can keep going. This was a true team effort.

All worthy candidates -- and that's without even mentioning Damon, Bellhorn...or Big Papi.

#357 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,842 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:37 AM

Couldn't sleep. Watched it again, this time with game thread accompaniment.

They did a great job with a 44-minute program. If they had another half-hour or so, though, these are the things I would wish for.

---

Lead-up: Babe, Pesky holding the ball, Galehouse, Bob Gibson, Big Red Machine, Bucky, Buckner, 1999 ALCS, and Boone.

Season: Epic rally in August, team gels, a few highlights of great games. Nomar and the Pokey/Jeter dive game. Triumphant entrance of O-Cab. Triumphant return of O-Cab. Winning 18 of 19. Clinching the WC.

Anaheim series. Momentum building. Schilling and Pedro wreaking havoc. Ortiz's bomb to end the Angels' season. Riding high.

Going down 0-3. Blown away by Mussina but a furious rally falls just short. Jon Lieber throws the game of his life. Arroyo and Wakefield (and everyone) fail epically in Game 3. Humiliation. Fans on the street renouncing fandom.

Inside the comeback:
- three amigos walking to the bullpen in Game 5
- more behind-the-scenes shots, players' home videos, and Millar quips
- More Manny and Pedro whenever possible
- More on innings 8-14 of Game 5. We had 5 infielders at one point there. In relief we threw Timlin, Foulke, Arroyo, Myers, Embree, and Wakefield for three fucking innings. It was the most nail-biting, hair-rending, heart-pumping drama I've ever seen on a television. The climax of Silence of the Lambs, but it went on for 2 hours. Doesn't have to be a play-by-play, just more quotes.
- Bellhorn hitting the foul pole screen

More Keith Foulke appreciation. 50 pitches in Game 4 (hey, there's no tomorrow), another 50 over the next two days. And every single one of the WS games. Get some quote from, say, Curtis Leskanic saying "yeah, I ended my career by pitching Games 4 and 5 until my arm fell off. But Foulkie ended a GREAT career by pitching until his arm fell off that month. Everyone else had their moments of weakness or failure in those playoffs, but Foulke was the one who never failed. Who COULD never fail, we were counting on him so much. And he didn't."

More aftermath. Mike and the Mad Dog. NY Post and Daily News. Some clip of a Yankee fan burning his own hat or Ruth jersey or something.

World Series. Brief highlights, things to remember. Picking off Jeff Suppan. Manny going for a tumble. Bellhorn hitting the foul pole. Celebration on field and clubhouse. The 3-million-man parade gathering complete with duck boats. Take 60 seconds, 90 at most.

Ring ceremony. "Leskanic, you son of a bitch." Bill fucking Russell et al throwing ceremonial first pitches. Ringing up the flag. Clips of fans desperately offering a thousand dollars for standing room to attend that opening day.

---

Basically, I feel like anyone watching that video who didn't live through it as a Red Sox fan doesn't feel what we felt when we went through it. If the director had more time to work with, I would've liked to put more context around it so there's some dramatic tension. And maybe some of the classier Yankees would've consented to interviews. I bet Rivera would. "You bet your ass I was distracted. I kept throwing over. It was all I could think about. I had nothing on that next pitch to Mueller." Tanyon Sturtze. Mussina. Tony Clark. I bet Gary Sheffield would be good for a quote too.

Posted Image

#358 Salva135

• Cassandra

• 1,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

Couldn't sleep. Watched it again, this time with game thread accompaniment.

They did a great job with a 44-minute program. If they had another half-hour or so, though, these are the things I would wish for.

---

Lead-up: Babe, Pesky holding the ball, Galehouse, Bob Gibson, Big Red Machine, Bucky, Buckner, 1999 ALCS, and Boone.

Season: Epic rally in August, team gels, a few highlights of great games. Nomar and the Pokey/Jeter dive game. Triumphant entrance of O-Cab. Triumphant return of O-Cab. Winning 18 of 19. Clinching the WC.

Anaheim series. Momentum building. Schilling and Pedro wreaking havoc. Ortiz's bomb to end the Angels' season. Riding high.

Going down 0-3. Blown away by Mussina but a furious rally falls just short. Jon Lieber throws the game of his life. Arroyo and Wakefield (and everyone) fail epically in Game 3. Humiliation. Fans on the street renouncing fandom.

Inside the comeback:
- three amigos walking to the bullpen in Game 5
- more behind-the-scenes shots, players' home videos, and Millar quips
- More Manny and Pedro whenever possible
- More on innings 8-14 of Game 5. We had 5 infielders at one point there. In relief we threw Timlin, Foulke, Arroyo, Myers, Embree, and Wakefield for three fucking innings. It was the most nail-biting, hair-rending, heart-pumping drama I've ever seen on a television. The climax of Silence of the Lambs, but it went on for 2 hours. Doesn't have to be a play-by-play, just more quotes.
- Bellhorn hitting the foul pole screen

More Keith Foulke appreciation. 50 pitches in Game 4 (hey, there's no tomorrow), another 50 over the next two days. And every single one of the WS games. Get some quote from, say, Curtis Leskanic saying "yeah, I ended my career by pitching Games 4 and 5 until my arm fell off. But Foulkie ended a GREAT career by pitching until his arm fell off that month. Everyone else had their moments of weakness or failure in those playoffs, but Foulke was the one who never failed. Who COULD never fail, we were counting on him so much. And he didn't."

More aftermath. Mike and the Mad Dog. NY Post and Daily News. Some clip of a Yankee fan burning his own hat or Ruth jersey or something.

World Series. Brief highlights, things to remember. Picking off Jeff Suppan. Manny going for a tumble. Bellhorn hitting the foul pole. Celebration on field and clubhouse. The 3-million-man parade gathering complete with duck boats. Take 60 seconds, 90 at most.

Ring ceremony. "Leskanic, you son of a bitch." Bill fucking Russell et al throwing ceremonial first pitches. Ringing up the flag. Clips of fans desperately offering a thousand dollars for standing room to attend that opening day.

---

Basically, I feel like anyone watching that video who didn't live through it as a Red Sox fan doesn't feel what we felt when we went through it. If the director had more time to work with, I would've liked to put more context around it so there's some dramatic tension. And maybe some of the classier Yankees would've consented to interviews. I bet Rivera would. "You bet your ass I was distracted. I kept throwing over. It was all I could think about. I had nothing on that next pitch to Mueller." Tanyon Sturtze. Mussina. Tony Clark. I bet Gary Sheffield would be good for a quote too.

Posted Image

This all goes way out of bounds of the "Four Days in October' concept that was meant to be true to the moment but appeal to a national audience in an hour-long show, but I get it. We all want more, more, MORE, but this was very well done. i was actually very surprised they showed the aerial mass gathering near Fenway and never mentioned Victoria Snelgrove, but then it would required a major digression and that wasn't the point of the show - but we all know what happened... There's a lot of off-field cultural issues that could be covered, but this is probably as good as it's gonna get anytime soon. Still amazing.

Edited by Salva135, 06 October 2010 - 03:23 AM.

#359 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:21 AM

I don't have the time or sobriety to read through this entire thread tonight.

But if you happen to be one of the ungrateful losers shitting on any aspect of this little film... fuck you.

#360 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,790 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

Couldn't have come at a better time. It made me feel so much better as we wrapped up the 2010 season. It's like hooking up with your old girlfriend after you just got dumped. My Sox self esteem is much better tonight. Thanks guys.

#361 scottyno

• 2,945 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

Game started at 8:30 and lasted 3:31. That makes 12:01 on October 21. There was a pitching change with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Alan Embree came in and threw two pitches so the game ended after midnight and my wife turned to me and said "Happy Anniversary."

I was watching at school in Maine and for some reason with 2 out in the 9th and I believe it was Timlin on the mound, whoever was before Embree, the cable died and everyone paniced running around the dorm to see if it was every tv, it came back a couple minutes later and they were at commercial and I was sure we had missed the final out, then it came back and embree was on the mound. Thank you tito for making the last pitching change with 2 out in a 7 run game

#362 joe dokes

• 3,221 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Now that I;ve watched it twice . . . . .
The best compliment you can give to a show like that is that it was so good that regular appearances by Bill Simmons AND Lenny Clarke couldn't even mess it up.

The Foulke-Clark AB in game 6 had me going to the refrigerator magnet for heart attack warning signs. I think you could make the argument that strike 3 there, the 85-MPH "heater" from a guy with nothing left, was his last act as a useful major league pitcher. Yeah, he pitched in the WS, but only game 1 was remotely close, and the stakes (constant threat of elimination) were never as high. I wonder if Foulke knew that at the time.

Foulke will never, ever, get enough credit for pitching in Games 4, 5 & 6 on consecutive days. 2.2 IP/50(!!) pitches; 1.1IP/22 pitches less than 24 hours later; 1IP/28 pitches one day later. With no room for error.

I was shocked to hear Pedro's 8 warm-up comment. I had never heard that before. But I thought using him was fine. I think much too much attention is paid the the fact that the fans got all foamy-mouthed. So what? Tito had no relievers left. Foulke was cooked. Arroyo had already pitched two days in a row; Leskanic never pitched again after game 4; he was probably already thinking of Wakefield for WS Game 1. They were up by 7. He needed 9 outs from Timlin, Embreee and someone. Pedro got 3 of them. I guess it was either him or Myers at that point.

Edited by joe dokes, 06 October 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#363 RSN Diaspora

• molests goats for comedy

• 5,431 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

I loved it, but I'll be one of the few who really could have done without the Simmons/Clarke bar scenes. If they wanted them to be on camera--and I can certainly understand why--I would have rather had more of the "heart pills" type stories than what seemed to be contrived banter.

Also, whoever said that Curt's makeup was awful was dead on. It was almost distracting.

That was the first time I saw those full conversations between Millar, Shank, and everyone else before Game 5. I don't think I fully grasped how much he really believed the Sox were still in that.

The Clark at bat at the end of Game 6 is still nerve-wracking beyond comprehension. I feel like I should still be on pins and needles during Leskanic's performance in Game 5, but oddly enough I'm not.

#364 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 754 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Let it be said that Keith Foulke basically threw away the rest of his career to make this happen for us. He was a God in that postseason and he was never ever the same after it.

Foulke will never, ever, get enough credit for pitching in Games 4, 5 & 6 on consecutive days. 2.2 IP/50(!!) pitches; 1.1IP/22 pitches less than 24 hours later; 1IP/28 pitches one day later. With no room for error.

Put me down in the Foulke love camp. He's in the hero trifecta in this series with Curt and Papi but doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves for those games. He pitched in games 1,2,4,5 and 6 with everything on the line and gave up one hit. It angers and saddens me that RSN turned on him so quickly after 2004. I wish they had focused at least 30 seconds on that in this program to show those people what assholes they are.

#365 donutogre

• 1,108 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

Not too much to add that hasn't already been said...but what the hell.

Last night, I was down on Landsdowne to go to a show at the HoB. With two openers, me and the wife were looking to kill some time after dinner and while standing around, I looked across the street, right into the Bleacher Bar, where the show had just started about a minute earlier. So we grabbed a table and watched the documentary with some fans while looking out onto the Fenway grass. We walked in while Millar was giving CHB shit, and caught everything else. It couldn't have been much more perfect, and it was about the fastest hour I can ever recall. Couldn't believe how quickly the show flew by...and like everyone, I found myself wanting more...but what they did show was fabulous.

I'm looking forward to re-watching it (just bought it on iTunes) and getting more of the quotes because it was a little loud in there and I missed some parts...especially the Pedro quotes at the end.

#366 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,263 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

More on innings 8-14 of Game 5. We had 5 infielders at one point there. In relief we threw Timlin, Foulke, Arroyo, Myers, Embree, and Wakefield for three fucking innings. It was the most nail-biting, hair-rending, heart-pumping drama I've ever seen on a television. The climax of Silence of the Lambs, but it went on for 2 hours. Doesn't have to be a play-by-play, just more quotes.

That is an absolutely perfect way to describe it.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 06 October 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#367 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Not too much to add that hasn't already been said...but what the hell.

Last night, I was down on Landsdowne to go to a show at the HoB. With two openers, me and the wife were looking to kill some time after dinner and while standing around, I looked across the street, right into the Bleacher Bar, where the show had just started about a minute earlier. So we grabbed a table and watched the documentary with some fans while looking out onto the Fenway grass. We walked in while Millar was giving CHB shit, and caught everything else. It couldn't have been much more perfect, and it was about the fastest hour I can ever recall. Couldn't believe how quickly the show flew by...and like everyone, I found myself wanting more...but what they did show was fabulous.

I'm looking forward to re-watching it (just bought it on iTunes) and getting more of the quotes because it was a little loud in there and I missed some parts...especially the Pedro quotes at the end.

Just wanted to say I was in there too before Ratatat. Actually being inside Fenway for the premier showing is the closest I think I could ever feel to going back in time to those days. And to make it a little more perfect, they put out a free appetizer buffet.

#368 HillysLastWalk

• 3,931 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

Wait. Did Pozo get an HJ or not!?

#369 AusTexSoxFan

• 1,994 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

The video clip of Youk getting off the bus before Game 6 made the entire show for me. That was awesome.

Also Ramiro Mendoza holding the WS trophy. No player deserved it more if you think about it. His shutout innings back on the July 24th game with the brawl enabled the Sox to come back and win on Pro's dinger which then gave them the confidence to make this 0-3 comeback. Thank you Ramiro.

Best comment from the missus last night... Re: Pedro's midget - "What is THAT!?!"

#370 pat3734

• 405 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

Put me down in the Foulke love camp. He's in the hero trifecta in this series with Curt and Papi but doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves for those games. He pitched in games 1,2,4,5 and 6 with everything on the line and gave up one hit. It angers and saddens me that RSN turned on him so quickly after 2004. I wish they had focused at least 30 seconds on that in this program to show those people what assholes they are.

Back in 2005, before I became a member, I used to lurk in the game threads. There was a poster, Mourning Woodward was his name IIRC, who often would post a limerick or poem. I remember only the last two lines of one he wrote after Keith Foulke was being booed in Fenway by the "best fans in baseball"

When he can't close the door,
Please remember '04

Thank you for everything, Keef

#371 dylanmarsh

• 4,817 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Anyone know of a site where I can watch it online? Or, does anyone have a digital copy of it they could share?

#372 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,145 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

Reflecting on a few of the sentiments expressed above: the only thing less than perfect for me about the '04 post-season was Manny and not Foulke getting MVP.

#373 joe dokes

• 3,221 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Reflecting on a few of the sentiments expressed above: the only thing less than perfect for me about the '04 post-season was Manny and not Foulke getting MVP.

If they gave a "post-season MVP" Foulke might have won. As it was, Ortiz got the ALCS MVP and Manny the WS. I can't see Foulke deserving the WS trophy. (not sure who, though).
Ortiz's .387/.457/.742/1.199 in the ALCS wasn't too shabby, but others will do that again. Its gonna be a long time before any modern reliever has a stretch like Foulke's ALCS in a string of elimination games.

#374 underhandtofirst

• stud who hits bombs

• 1,541 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

That was fun to watch. I found myself cheering and getting excited as if it was happening live. The tag play on DR's steal in game 4 keeps getting closer every time I watch it. Yikes.

#375 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 754 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

If they gave a "post-season MVP" Foulke might have won. As it was, Ortiz got the ALCS MVP and Manny the WS. I can't see Foulke deserving the WS trophy. (not sure who, though).
Ortiz's .387/.457/.742/1.199 in the ALCS wasn't too shabby, but others will do that again. Its gonna be a long time before any modern reliever has a stretch like Foulke's ALCS in a string of elimination games.

Who deserved it more than Foulke? Not Manny bashing here, but had an average WS and his two errors in game 1 were nearly disastrous. Granted, he almost won us all a taco for nearly hitting the "bell", so that's something. Foulke was out there every game, was the last pitcher on the mound for the Sox each time and had the numbers to justify winning MVP.

I agree that it will be hard for a pitcher to duplicate what Foulke did in that ALCS. Can't see how you can be that effective, that willing, and have that many opportunities in a seven game series.

#376 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9,716 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Who deserved it more than Foulke? Not Manny bashing here, but had an average WS and his two errors in game 1 were nearly disastrous. Granted, he almost won us all a taco for nearly hitting the "bell", so that's something. Foulke was out there every game, was the last pitcher on the mound for the Sox each time and had the numbers to justify winning MVP.

I agree that it will be hard for a pitcher to duplicate what Foulke did in that ALCS. Can't see how you can be that effective, that willing, and have that many opportunities in a seven game series.

I'm as big a cheerleader for Foulke as there is but the World Series MVP seems like a stretch. He pitched twice with a four-run lead, once with a three-run lead, and in the one tight game he pitched in he got a blown save(to be fair, because of Manny's error, so he didn't really deserve it). The MVP of the series was probably Mark Bellhorn for his huge home run in Game 1 and his 2-run double in Game 2 (which drove in the 3rd and 4th runs of an eventual 6-2 win).

Then again, nobody seemed to notice then or remember now how huge Bellhorn was in that WS.

#377 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:32 AM

Finally got to watching this and.... well, tears, etc. Dusty room, etc.

This was the best period of my life and always will be. I don't care what that says about me or my life.

Same here. Those eleven days (from Game 4 through Game 4) were the best eleven days of my life. I will go to the grave with it -- shit, I doubt even after having a kid it will be more dramatic and completely overwhelming than this.

I just watched it. On DVR. I can't stop crying. I will never erase it.

And I'm not drunk.

LIES

Couldn't have come at a better time. It made me feel so much better as we wrapped up the 2010 season. It's like hooking up with your old girlfriend after you just got dumped. My Sox self esteem is much better tonight. Thanks guys.

Which is exactly what I did after Game 1 of the World Series. SHAZAM!!

#378 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

Just watched it last night too. Really liked it. Disappointed Lowe and Foulkes stories were not fleshed out. How they dropped those for Lenny Clarke and Bill Simmons banality is criminal.

#379 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 754 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

I'm as big a cheerleader for Foulke as there is but the World Series MVP seems like a stretch. He pitched twice with a four-run lead, once with a three-run lead, and in the one tight game he pitched in he got a blown save(to be fair, because of Manny's error, so he didn't really deserve it). The MVP of the series was probably Mark Bellhorn for his huge home run in Game 1 and his 2-run double in Game 2 (which drove in the 3rd and 4th runs of an eventual 6-2 win).

Then again, nobody seemed to notice then or remember now how huge Bellhorn was in that WS.

Bellhorn had a good series, Mueller had the highest average, but no position player stood out above the rest. The pitching staff never trailed in the series and held a good St. Louis lineup down (Manny's adventures in game 1 notwithstanding). Besides Wake's sub-par performance they were the stars of the series but you can't give the award to a SP who was in one game. Foulke anchored that bullpen and with the absence of anyone else more deserving I still feel a pitcher should have gotten the award.

BTW, if you had told me after the 2003 ALCS that we would even be HAVING this conversation I would not have believed you. The intro to FDIN was dead on about how this transformed the fanbase. 2004 exorcised the ghosts of the past and 2007 showed how pure it is to win and enjoy the ride.

#380 RSN Diaspora

• molests goats for comedy

• 5,431 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Same here. Those eleven days (from Game 4 through Game 4) were the best eleven days of my life. I will go to the grave with it -- shit, I doubt even after having a kid it will be more dramatic and completely overwhelming than this.

If I have to go with one seminal event in my life--those eleven days or the birth of my child--I'd probably go with my kid...but I'd have to think about it.

#381 Adirondack jack

• 1,318 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

I was shocked to hear Pedro's 8 warm-up comment. I had never heard that before.

Yeah, never heard that one before either. Fairly certain Pedro was embellishing (perhaps misremembered or something).

Granted after the Sox jumped out to the quick lead, time was essentially frozen while the countdown for outs began.. I was out in the center field bleachers basically right under the scoreboard. From that vantage point one could just barely see the Sox bullpen when guys got up to warm because there was a black mesh thing on the fencing right behind the mound. Pedro had to have thrown more than 8 warmup pitches though, because it seemed like forever while me and a buddy tried to figure out who was warming, then we figured it out by the outline of the motion and partial view, then we started worrying about the unexpected decision, then after more time of this outline throwing behind the mesh the people around us got to talking about it and the buzz was building among the bleacher creatures/rest of the stadium. The point is, there's no way Pedro only threw 8 times from the mound out there, for one it was a frigid October night and secondly time may have been going slow for a Sox fan at that point, but he was up and throwing for good long healthy while. I don't buy it.

All in all, this was pretty good. It'd take a complete moron to screw an account of this up .. so I'm not going to trip over myself to compliment the people who put this espn thing together.

Edited by Adirondack jack, 07 October 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#382 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,086 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

The film captured the magic - much harder really as they could have botched in in a million ways. They didn't.

I would love to have the game threads form the ALCS and WS and the "Win it For" thread somehow magically appear in our Archives. What fun it was to watch the magic unfold and to use this community as a virtual Cask 'N Flagon during those incredible ten days (including the WS).

Edited by jacklamabe65, 07 October 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#383 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,703 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, never heard that one before either. Fairly certain Pedro was embellishing (perhaps misremembered or something).

Granted after the Sox jumped out to the quick lead, time was essentially frozen while the countdown for outs began.. I was out in the center field bleachers basically right under the scoreboard. From that vantage point one could just barely see the Sox bullpen when guys got up to warm because there was a black mesh thing on the fencing right behind the mound. Pedro had to have thrown more than 8 warmup pitches though, because it seemed like forever while me and a buddy tried to figure out who was warming, then we figured it out by the outline of the motion and partial view, then we started worrying about the unexpected decision, then after more time of this outline throwing behind the mesh the people around us got to talking about it and the buzz was building among the bleacher creatures/rest of the stadium. The point is, there's no way Pedro only threw 8 times from the mound out there, for one it was a frigid October night and secondly time may have been going slow for a Sox fan at that point, but he was up and throwing for good long healthy while. I don't buy it.

All in all, this was pretty good. It'd take a complete moron to screw an account of this up .. so I'm not going to trip over myself to compliment the people who put this espn thing together.

I completely agree with the bolded portion.

The entire question of "why did Tito put Pedro in?" is a Bill Simmons wet dream gone viral. Here are the facts as I remember them:

• The entire staff was gassed. Lowe was going to start, but it was all hands on deck after this.
  • In an interview before the game, Tito stated that since it was Pedro's throw day between starts (Note: it was actually a day before his throw day, but whatever) we should expect him to pitch at some point.
  • I was also at the game and I distinctly remember Pedro warming up well before he came in.
Whether it was the right call or not is a legitimate question. But despite what some have said in hindsight, it wasn't a surprise at the time. And there's no question that Pedro warmed up properly.

Edited by Average Reds, 07 October 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#384 Remagellan

• 4,551 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

I remember Tito on the FAN sometime either the day after or the following day explaining to Francesa and the Dog, who criticized him pulling Lowe for Pedro, that the plan was to go to Pedro after Lowe because the bullpen had been overworked over the course of the comeback. Though Lowe's brilliance allowed him to hang in the game longer than they could have hoped, Francona said that Pedro had been warming up for some time to come into the game, and at that point he had to put him in or lose him for the game, so Pedro definitely threw more than 8 warmup pitches. I think it's a case of an old warrior remembering his part in that day "with advantages" that put his work in a better light.

#385 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,842 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Anyone know of a site where I can watch it online? Or, does anyone have a digital copy of it they could share?

Dylan, check out the "Pedro Archive Project" thread in P&G.

edit: took out some more sensitive stuff.

Edited by MentalDisabldLst, 08 October 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#386 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

I'd like to say that I was one of the many Sox fans who were extremely confident going into Game 7.

I re-watched this tonight and caught a line uttered by Jackie MacMullan before the game that I had missed the first time. It pretty much summarized what I was thinking in the hours before that game: "I've been watching this my whole life and I know how this ends."

Unrelated: I still can't believe they didn't include the Bellhorn homer. All the anger and stress over the Pedro inning just vanished when he hit that.

#387 desertrat75

• 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

The film captured the magic - much harder really as they could have botched in in a million ways. They didn't.

I would love to have the game threads form the ALCS and WS and the "Win it For" thread somehow magically appear in our Archives. What fun it was to watch the magic unfold and to use this community as a virtual Cask 'N Flagon during those incredible ten days (including the WS).

FYI - The ALCS04 combined SOSH/NYYFANS gamethreads are still here: <http://champagne.atspace.org/>

Is there anything that can be done to save these on SOSH?

Edited by desertrat75, 11 October 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#388 bandito0

• 651 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Very excited to watch this tonight for the first time as I was at a destination wedding last week and missed it.

Instead, ESPN2 (where it's supposed to be showing) is running baseball tonight.

Very unhappy. Got to find a torrent or something.

#389 judes63

• 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Bandito0, I just discovered this too and fired off a WTF message to ESPN's ombudsman. If I get an answer with re-air information (clearly I believe in unicorns too, but hey, a girl can hope), I'll post it.

#390 Remagellan

• 4,551 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

It is on ESPN2 tonight beginning at 7:30 p.m.

#391 judes63

• 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thank you so much! Watching it now.

#392 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,592 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

FYI - The ALCS04 combined SOSH/NYYFANS gamethreads are still here: <http://champagne.atspace.org/>

Is there anything that can be done to save these on SOSH?

For some reason I cannot get access to the threads. Does anyone have this saved somewhere?

#393 Caspir

• 3,577 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

This will remain no my DVR for as long as I have it.

This, and the Patriots/Raiders NFL Films episode are the only permanently stored programs on my DVR.

#394 El Tiante

• 1,794 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

I got the 4 days in October DVD as a Christmas gift. Just watched it again. It really never gets old.

#395 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Win Today.

That is all.

#396 MannysDestination

• is not a republican

• 11,062 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

FYI: This, and all other 30 for 30s, are available on the ESPN On Demand channel (not in HD on the horribly awful service known as Comcast/Xfinity/Shit-on-a-cable).

#397 lzthomas

• 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

Just watched this on demand today. It reminded me how much I used to love this team.

#398 Was (Not Wasdin)

• 653 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

FYI: This, and all other 30 for 30s, are available on the ESPN On Demand channel (not in HD on the horribly awful service known as Comcast/Xfinity/Shit-on-a-cable).

Also on available on Amazon Prime as free Instant Videos.

#399 RedSoxFan

• 3,679 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

On Demand > Premium Channels > StreamPix > HD > Movies > By Title (A-Z) > E

There you go.

#400 Bergs

• 3,229 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

On Demand > Premium Channels > StreamPix > HD > Movies > By Title (A-Z) > E

There you go.

Dude!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users