Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

"Four Days in October" - The Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#1 Sille Skrub

• 3909 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

For tonight...

#2 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 618 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

I've been bouncing through my day waiting for this to start. Can't remember the last time, or if ever, I looked forward to a non-sports program like this.

#3 ehaz

• 781 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

ESPN just posted this today:

#4 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3089 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image

#5 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22678 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

The Tenth Inning was like a handie at the movie theaters. Tonight, it is the buttsecks.

#6 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9220 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Realistically, there's no way the Red Sox win this series. It's over. As everyone knows, no baseball team has ever come back from down 0-3, and this is the choker Red Sox who always blow it, against the Yankees, who always pull it out in the end. And we just got badly humiliated last night.

But I don't care, I've got a ticket and I'm going. I heard there are more tickets available for face value at the box office too, from chump quitters who returned theirs.

#7 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

The Tenth Inning was like a handie at the movie theaters. Tonight, it is the buttsecks.

Speaking of which...I feel like there was a marketing opportunity here to put extra ads on in New England and premiere this thing in some theaters, at least for 1 week/weekend. It woulda killed.

#8 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 618 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Realistically, there's no way the Red Sox win this series. It's over. As everyone knows, no baseball team has ever come back from down 0-3, and this is the choker Red Sox who always blow it, against the Yankees, who always pull it out in the end. And we just got badly humiliated last night.

But I don't care, I've got a ticket and I'm going. I heard there are more tickets available for face value at the box office too, from chump quitters who returned theirs.

Now this is getting into the spirit of 2004!

I gave up my ticket for this game as a birthday present to my brother and as a good luck omen. Started the tradition in 1999 and the Sox won, then in 2003 gave up tickets to game 3 vs Oakland and game 4 vs NY, then just the week before he got to see Ortiz end the Angles series. Since I can't stand to see NY celebrate on our field anyway, here's hoping my bro can bring some karma to the park with him and the Sox live for one more day.

edit: game 4 vs NY was the win.

Edited by Huntington Avenue Grounds, 05 October 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#9 loshjott

• 3732 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

I've been lurking for much of the season and all through the playoffs on this great, great site called Sons of Sam Horn. Their game threads are pretty cool. But f*ck it, I'm pissed and I need to change my luck so I'm staying away from that site tonight.

[And I stayed away until after the WS]

#10 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8009 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

Yup, after that 19-8 shellacking, there's no way the Sox can win. My wife says they are still winning the series/it's our year, but she'd be optimistic if the Sox were down in the 9th inning with Mariano on the mound.

I'm going to the Pats-Seahawks game this afternoon and have tix in Section 36 for game 4. I really don't want to go and really don't want to see the MFYs celebrate at Fenway but screw it, I'll be up there for the Pats anyway, so I may as well see this through.

#11 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Thank god for that rain out.

#12 Pozo the Clown

• 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

I'm monumentally stoked for this program tonite. I live and work in the NYC area. I attended Games 6 & 7 :angry: of the '03 ALCS. Undaunted, I secured tickets for Games 6 & 7 again in '04. After the hideous loss in Game 3 in '04, an aquaintance contacted me. He's one of those a-hole Yankee fans who somehow clings to the misguided belief that rooting for the MFYs makes him a winner and superior to those who don't. "How much did you pay for your tickets to Games 6 & 7?" he asks me. I tell him. "I'll give you 4 times what you paid for them." "No, thanks," I reply. Though there was no misunderstanding, he attempts to clarify stating "I don't mean that the 4 times offer applies only if the games are played." "I know," I counter. "Really?!?," he retorts in stunned disbelief. "Wow, then you really are an idiot, passing up on easy money for games that will never be played!!!" "They'll be played," I replied (though I'm not sure I really meant it).

A friend and I took in Game 6 from the bleachers at the old Toilet. Early on, the MFY fans maintained their obnoxiousness, smugness and unflagging belief in "The Curse." When Bellhorn's drive was ruled a homer, you could begin to feel the sea change taking place. Things like that had never happened to the MFYs before. Calls went their way, not in favor of their opponents (Babe's Ghost saw to that). Hostility increased exponentially. Then came the A-Rod/Arroyo incident. From my vantage point in the bleachers, I couldn't tell exactly what had happened. I watched the ball rolling down the right field line as Jeter and A-Rod ran the bases. My heart sank. But, once again, the umps conferred and they got it right. I vividly recall the police ringing the stands as I sincerely wondered if the enraged mob of MFY fans were about to tear me and my friend limb from limb (we were both wearing Sox hats). The anger in the Toilet was palpable.

When the game ended, my friend and I adjorned to Stan's (for the uninitiated, it's a bar right next to the Toilet). There, we encountered additional hostility. I didn't care. Having visited Stan's after Game 6 in '03, I needed to assess the state of mind of the inmates of Yankee Universe. Again, the sea change was evident. In '03, they were supremely confident. The Yankees ALWAYS won these type of games against the Sox. Yogi told them so. So did Lou Piniella and Bucky Dent. So did the media. The outcome had always been preordained. But now, it was different. Confidence had been tainted with fear. Entitlement with apprehension. Superiority with angst.

On the train ride home, my friend informed me that he wouldn't be able to attend Game 7 as we'd planned. I was in stunned disbelief. "Don't worry," he said. "You'll find someone else to go with you." He was right.

Shortly after re-emerging from the subway to street level, I was walking past a midtown bar. Outside, I passed a group of girls smoking cigarettes. Spotting my Sox hat, one young lady with a Texas accent exclaimed "Go Red Sox!!!" I smiled, stopped and informed her where I'd just come from. She suggested I join her for a drink. We had several. During the course of our imbibement, she informed me of her hatred for the MFYs and of A-Rod in particular. "I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind," she intoned in her sexy Texan drawl, "could root for the New York Yankees!" I inquired if she had any plans for later that evening. "No," she replied. "You do now," I countered. She couldn't believe her luck (and I couldn't believe mine).

When I met her at her hotel, I presented her with a Sox cap. After a couple of drinks at the bar, we were ready. During the subway ride to the Toilet, you could feel the fear of Yankee fandom. It was intoxicating.

When Damon hit the Grand Slam off of Vasquez, Yankee Universe collapsed. It was over. They were done. They couldn't look any Sox fan in the eye.

For me, the feelings of resurrection and redemption were overwhelming.

After the game, as we exitted the Toilet, one MFY proclaimed "You ain't won anything yet." "Oh, yes we have!," I replied.

At Stan's, one foolish MFY fan inquired of the bartender if they were still selling 1918 hats (there were piles of them). "Sure," said the bartender. "How much?" he inquired. "Dunno," said the bartender. "Give me 5 bucks." Classic.

Several times, I attempted to reach that acquaintance who'd offered me 4 times what I'd paid for my tickets. Everytime, my calls went to voicemail. Weird, huh? :rolling:

Edited by Pozo the Clown, 05 October 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#13 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10082 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

"They're a walking disaster. They act like they're tough, how they care so much about winning, but it's all a front. They're just a bunch of characters."

#14 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Just sack up this one time D-Lowe, sack up so I can see Pedro in a Sox uniform one last time.

#15 Sille Skrub

• 3909 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Great stuff, Pozo.

Pumped for 5pm Pacific time!

#16 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

I clearly remember a certain boston.com blogger posting a tombstone generator photo after game 3 with the 2004 Red Sox shown on the front.

#17 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33580 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

I'm monumentally stoked for this program tonite. I live and work in the NYC area. I attended Games 6 & 7 :angry: of the '03 ALCS. Undaunted, I secured tickets for Games 6 & 7 again in '04. After the hideous loss in Game 3 in '04, an aquaintance contacted me. He's one of those a-hole Yankee fans who somehow clings to the misguided belief that rooting for the MFYs makes him a winner and superior to those who don't. "How much did you pay for your tickets to Games 6 & 7?" he asks me. I tell him. "I'll give you 4 times what you paid for them." "No, thanks," I reply. Though there was no misunderstanding, he attempts to clarify stating "I don't mean that the 4 times offer applies only if the games are played." "I know," I counter. "Really?!?," he retorts in stunned disbelief. "Wow, then you really are an idiot, passing up on easy money for games that will never be played!!!" "They'll be played," I replied (though I'm not sure I really meant it).

A friend and I took in Game 6 from the bleachers at the old Toilet. Early on, the MFY fans maintained their obnoxiousness, smugness and unflagging belief in "The Curse." When Bellhorn's drive was ruled a homer, you could begin to feel the sea change taking place. Things like that had never happened to the MFYs before. Calls went their way, not in favor of their opponents (Babe's Ghost saw to that). Hostility increased exponentially. Then came the A-Rod/Arroyo incident. From my vantage point in the bleachers, I couldn't tell exactly what had happened. I watched the ball rolling down the right field line as Jeter and A-Rod ran the bases. My heart sank. But, once again, the umps conferred and they got it right. I vividly recall the police ringing the stands as I sincerely wondered if the enraged mob of MFY fans were about to tear me and my friend limb from limb (we were both wearing Sox hats). The anger in the Toilet was palpable.

When the game ended, my friend and I adjorned to Stan's (for the uninitiated, it's a bar right next to the Toilet). There, we encountered additional hostility. I didn't care. Having visited Stan's after Game 6 in '03, I needed to assess the state of mind of the inmates of Yankee Universe. Again, the sea change was evident. In '03, they were supremely confident. The Yankees ALWAYS won these type of games against the Sox. Yogi told them so. So did Lou Piniella and Bucky Dent. So did the media. The outcome had always been preordained. But now, it was different. Confidence had been tainted with fear. Entitlement with apprehension. Superiority with angst.

On the train ride home, my friend informed me that he wouldn't be able to attend Game 7 as we'd planned. I was in stunned disbelief. "Don't worry," he said. "You'll find someone else to go with you." He was right.

Shortly after re-emerging from the subway to street level, I was walking past a midtown bar. Outside, I passed a group of girls smoking cigarettes. Spotting my Sox hat, one young lady with a Texas accent exclaimed "Go Red Sox!!!" I smiled, stopped and informed her where I'd just come from. She suggested I join her for a drink. We had several. During the course of our imbibement, she informed me of her hatred for the MFYs and of A-Rod in particular. "I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind," she intoned in her sexy Texan drawl, "could root for the New York Yankees!" I inquired if she had any plans for later that evening. "No," she replied. "You do now," I countered. She couldn't believe her luck (and I couldn't believe mine).

When I met her at her hotel, I presented her with a Sox cap. After a couple of drinks at the bar, we were ready. During the subway ride to the Toilet, you could feel the fear of Yankee fandom. It was intoxicating.

When Damon hit the Grand Slam off of Vasquez, Yankee Universe collapsed. It was over. They were done. They couldn't look any Sox fan in the eye.

For me, the feelings of resurrection and redemption were overwhelming.

After the game, as we exitted the Toilet, one MFY proclaimed "You ain't won anything yet." "Oh, yes we have!," I replied.

At Stan's, one foolish MFY fan inquired of the bartender if they were still selling 1918 hats (there were piles of them). "Sure," said the bartender. "How much?" he inquired. "Dunno," said the bartender. "Give me 5 bucks." Classic.

Several times, I attempted to reach that acquaintance who'd offered me 4 times what I'd paid for my tickets. Everytime, my calls went to voicemail. Weird, huh? :rolling:

Did you atleast get a handie out of that deal?

#18 Dropkick Izzy

• 3401 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

Any chance this bitch is streaming somewhere on the intertubes tonight (e.g. Justin.tv or other)? I'm living in the dark ages and the cable guy doesn't come till tomorrow AM.

#19 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22678 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

Try justin.tv or atdhe. They always have a ESPN channel up.

#20 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6254 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Just don't get swept. That is all I ask.

One. One game. One win. That's all.

Not four, not three, not two.

One.

Tonight.

#21 judyb

• 3309 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

It's hard to be optimistic at this point, but the Sox have the chance to be the first team to come back from a 3-0 deficit. We know we have the talent, but do they want it?

Lowe knows.

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15714 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Don't let us win tonight.

#23 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22678 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Why is ESPN talking about an Alligator Wrestler?

#24 PayrodsFirstClutchHit

• 2928 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

I look forward to reliving my greatest sportsgasm.

This should be a very enjoyable hour of my life.

#25 Huntington Avenue Grounds

• 618 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm 33 years old and the Red Sox have crushed my soul twice already, the debate over "which was worse" 2003 or 1986 is an open question (thankfully 1978 was a bit too early for my 7 year old self to fully understand) but game 3 was close to rock bottom. I broke out the same bottle of whiskey from last October that I used to drown my sorrows and attempted to burn the memories away by incinerating every stitch of clothing I had on when Boone's shot left his bat. Hope is all I have left, but let's be real, it's over. Please don't let us get swept, just a moral victory. A moral victory.

I'm 33 years old and facing the reality that I might not live long enough to see the Red Sox win a World Series.

Game on.

#26 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6254 posts

Tough reading the papers today.

John Harper, New York Daily News:

Now we know why they call themselves idiots.

With any realistic hopes of a comeback in this series against the Yankees on the line, the Red Sox played their way right to the brink of the offseason with some of the dumbest baseball you'll ever see.

It was also one of the ugliest, most humiliating games of all time for any team. But it happened only because the blunders turned it into a blowout.

So much for another epic series between these teams. The Sox are done, not only because no team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit but because Derek Lowe is all they have left to throw at a Yankee lineup that is salivating at the sight of fastballs, curveballs, knuckleballs, you name it. ...

Still, the Sox should be embarrassed to play a game like this after all the talk about how oblivious they would be to pressure, thanks to their loosey-goosey personality.

After all, in losing 19-8 to the Yankees last night, they turned out to be just plain oblivious. ...

Afterward, however, Johnny Damon was talking about the enormous task ahead of them, trying to become the first team in history to come back from a 3-0 lead.

"I believe we can do it," Damon said. "I do."

He sounded like, what else? An idiot.

Steve Politi, Star-Ledger:

The Curse lives.

Long live The Curse!

Eighty-five years from now, when the Red Sox fans are sitting around in their spaceships and discussing the missed opportunities during the 17 decades without a world championship, they will certainly remember the collapse of 2004.

So much optimism. So much excitement.

And, as usual, so much disappointment. ...

The Red Sox never catch a break, do they?

"You know what? It doesn't matter," manager Terry Francona said. "Tomorrow is going to come real quick, and we've got to try to win (Game 4). I sat in that dugout for a lot of wins this year, and took the smiles and the laughs and everything.

"You have to sit through a night like this. I can't -- I won't bail on those guys. It was disappointing for everybody, but we're not done. I fully expect we'll come out tomorrow and play our (butts) off."

With their luck -- and with the very-much-alive Curse of the Bambino -- they'll probably pull a hamstring trying.

Posted Image

#27 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37174 posts

To quote a line from Diamonds Are Forever, "Six minutes and counting..."

#28 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15214 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

Fucking Grady.

#29 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Fuck off and die Grady.

#30 mabrowndog

• 37174 posts

Let's hope that's the only "curse" mention tonight...

#31 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3243 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

On.

#32 RIrooter09

• 1615 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Already too much Lenny Clarke.

#33 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Kevin fuckin Millar. Too awesome for words

#34 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Joe Castig sounded near tears when Trot made the last out in the 8th in game 3.

#35 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3386 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

Millar > CHB

#36 Sinistas

• 973 posts

I am definitely digging the lack of narrator.

#37 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

A wink is as good as a nod to a pinch runner.....

#38 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4623 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

by like a foot...

#39 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15214 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Holy shit that was close.

#40 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

He was safe by like a foot?

#41 Dropkick Izzy

• 3401 posts

He really WAS safe by like a foot.

#42 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Gah so close.

#43 Barbara

• 3128 posts

I am going to go through some kleenex.

#44 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11130 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

The Simmons/Clahk gimmick is terrible. Just get a narrator instead.

#45 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Man, this isn't a documentary. This is a movie about real life.

#46 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9210 posts

I still <3 Bill Mueller.

#47 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10082 posts

The parts with Simmons and Clarke are ruining this.

#48 mabrowndog

• 37174 posts

I'm pissed that there's no Mueller interview. His hit was a fucking afterthought.

#49 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12227 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

As much as I hate Buck, "We'll see you later tonight!" is one of my favorite game-ending calls of all-time.

#50 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

This is fucking awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users