Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bullpen 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
488 replies to this topic

#451 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

No idea on the dollar value, but it's a team option that automatically vests with 65 appearances.

Thanks -- since Wheeler's gone 70, 69, 64 appearances over the last three years, that second year is well within reach if he performs comparably to his TBR numbers.

#452 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

So in a year with a bunch of guys getting three year contracts Theo gets these last two with a two year deal and a one year plus option. That's the kind of contracts these guys should get.

And I think we're pretty much done and we can start the "How many games we gonna win?" thread now.

#453 sox junky

• 946 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

Wheeler, who passed a physical on Friday, will receive $3 million from the Red Sox in 2011, according to a source. His deal also includes a vesting option for 2012 worth $3 million if he appears in 65 games next season and $3.25 million if he appears in 75 games.

The Red Sox also agreed to not offer him arbitration if qualifies as a Type A free agent after the season, while Wheeler has agreed to decline an arbitration offer from the club should he wind up as a Type B free agent.

http://mlb.fanhouse....ding-to-source/

#454 joe dokes

• 3,102 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

With the bullpen model he has built, a LOOGY seems more valuable than Atchison to fill it out.

Sign Mahay and that is an amazingly deep pen.

Atchison/Albers as RH depth and Miller/Hill/DiNardo as LH depth.

If Lenny DiNardo throws more than 3 innings for the Red Sox in 2011, it will mean that something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. My guess is that the FO hopes he's decent and healthy at AAA, then he's a throw-in with now-expendable Lars in case they need to deal mid-season.

The team's practice in recent years is to base the April bullpen much more on "who has options" than on "who are likely to be the best 7 guys right now." If nothing else, that suggests Doubront at AAA out of ST.

#455 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

I received a PM questioning my post upthread regarding Atchison's status. Apparently SoxProspects.com lists him as having all his options used up. I could be wrong, but based on what I've been led to believe over the past 6 years about how options work, it certainly looks like he's only used two of them. Again, most of the transaction info comes from his SBNation.com page.

2004 - Recalled from minors but never optioned.
2005 - Placed on the major league DL to start the season, pitched minor league rehab assignments in August, and was activated by the Mariners in September, but he was never optioned (see the specifics at Baseball Cube and his b-ref.com MLB game log).
2006 - DFA'd by SEA and removed from the 40-man, and never pitched in the majors that year, so he was never optioned.
2007 - Used OPTION #1.
2008 - Played overseas.
2009 - Played overseas.
2010 - Used OPTION #2.

If I've missed or overlooked some hidden rule or exception, I'm all ears.

#456 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

But Atchison apparently has used only two options (2007, 2010) and Albers has used all three. Despite Atchison's performance last year, I'm not yet convinced Albers is the one at risk unless he's hurt or craps the bed in Spring Training.

The first six relievers are all on major league contracts with no options remaining. The next five either have option(s) remaining or are on minor league contracts:

Theo has displayed a penchant for conserving bullpen resources and roster flexibility. Meanwhile I don't see them breaking camp without at least one southpaw in the pen. To me, barring any injuries or further transactions between now and Opening Day, that spells "Atchison begins 2011 with the PawSox".

I think you're right and SP is wrong about the 2004 option. According to TSN Baseball Guide, he was not on the Mariners' winter roster that year (and with a 4.31 ERA in AAA, no one would have taken him in the Rule 5), so it looks like he was purchased (or "selected" as they now say) from Tacoma at the end of July.

The problem is that Atchison has to clear Optional Assignment Waivers, and the gentleman's agreement about not claiming such guys probably doesn't apply to guys who are obviously MLB talents. He cleared them last year, but I'm not sure it happens again.

Number of general purpose LHR + LOOGY in the pen (for majority of season):

early 2005: 2 + 1 (Embree, Halama; Myers)
late 2005: 0 + 1 (Myers)
2006: 0 + 1 (Lopez)
2007: 1 + 1 (Oki + Lopez)
2008: ditto
2009: 1 + 0 (Oki)
2010: ditto

They've had two LHR in the pen for just about half the time starting in mid-'05, otherwise they've had only one.

I think signing Wheeler means either an Atchison trade, a Papelbon trade, Doubront to Pawtucket despite a pretty strong argument against it, or not signing a LOOGY. Stuffing the pen with yet another guy would be uncharacteristic of Theo.

Edited by Eric Van, 18 December 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#457 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

I think signing Wheeler means either an Atchison trade, a Papelbon trade, Doubront to Pawtucket despite a pretty strong argument against it, or not signing a LOOGY. Stuffing the pen with yet another guy would be uncharacteristic of Theo.

EV, what is your recommendation as to the best course of action? And what do you think Theo will do?

Why is it so quiet on the Soriano front? I heard a rumor about setting up in NY, but that was shot down (or was that smoke?). After that the silence has been killing me. Where is he going?

#458 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

EV, what is your recommendation as to the best course of action? And what do you think Theo will do?

I would try to re-sign Oki at a good price if possible, if not, Mahay at a bargain if possible, otherwise I'm done. I sort out the excess talent in ST. I think Theo may be doing the same.

#459 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

If Atchison does get dealt, I hope that doesn't affect his daughter's health. His signing with the Sox was largely prompted by the proximity of both Boston and Pawtucket to some of the world's best medical care for her rare condition. (Archived articles from Amalie Benjamin and Gordon Edes)

#460 someoneanywhere

• 3,171 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Second. Some other move is in the works -- I wouldn't venture to guess how big. But we know that the FO went into the pen repair business thinking one FA signing and one trade. I'm not saying that the plan might not have changed, only that we know they've been working hard on the trade front.

#461 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Posters here and reporters in the Twitterverse keep referencing the possibility (however slight) of a Papelbon trade, for all the reasons we've all heard. But does the bullpen w/o him inspire confidence?

Jenks
Bard
Wheeler
Wakefield
Doubront (L)
Albers

#462 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Second. Some other move is in the works -- I wouldn't venture to guess how big. But we know that the FO went into the pen repair business thinking one FA signing and one trade. I'm not saying that the plan might not have changed, only that we know they've been working hard on the trade front.

The thought all along was get a RHR and a LHR. The last poll here showed a very strong preference (25 to 7) for not signing a second significant RHR. Now they've done that, which indeed suggests that they at least want the flexibility to do something we weren't collectively expecting (not sign a LHR, option Doubront, trade Atchison, trade Papelbon).

#463 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

The thought all along was get a RHR and a LHR. The last poll here showed a very strong preference (25 to 7) for not signing a second significant RHR. Now they've done that, which indeed suggests that they at least want the flexibility to do something we weren't collectively expecting (not sign a LHR, option Doubront, trade Atchison, trade Papelbon).

Not saying this should (or could) happen, but signing Wheeler and Jenks also makes the short-term pain much less should Bard be packaged with Ellsbury in a deal for Justin Upton.

#464 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Not saying this should (or could) happen, but signing Wheeler and Jenks also makes the short-term pain much less should Bard be packaged with Ellsbury in a deal for Justin Upton.

Beat me to it by a few minutes.

Or that deal preceded by the signing of Soriano -- with the expectation that Paps walks after the season.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 18 December 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#465 joe dokes

• 3,102 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Posters here and reporters in the Twitterverse keep referencing the possibility (however slight) of a Papelbon trade, for all the reasons we've all heard. But does the bullpen w/o him inspire confidence?

It would shock me. I think the hypothesizing comes from the "hey they got a closer™, so they have to trade their other closer™, because teams can't have more than one closer™" non-school of non-thought.

Unless he just totally blows, I think he has much more value to the Sox, then he'd fetch, as a one-and done player who has announced to the world that he's testing the FA waters.

More to your point, even if Papelbon is merely "pretty good," his departure would leave a hole.

#466 Don Buddin

• 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

I think we're done. We don't need left handed relief pitchers necessarily. We need pitchers who can get out left handed hitters. Our right handed relievers can do that.

#467 kazuneko

• 1,698 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

I think we're done. We don't need left handed relief pitchers necessarily. We need pitchers who can get out left handed hitters. Our right handed relievers can do that.

That said, some players are virtually nullified against LHP. For example, Ortiz against practically anyone who throws southpaw, transforms from the caliber of hitter that could hit clean-up on any team in baseball to looking more like the type of bat you usually would associate with your 3rd string catcher. Nullifying a great LHB with RHP takes a far more talented RHP. Of course using a roster spot for a LOOGY is a high price, but in certain high-leverage situations against certain batters not having one will be something of a frustration..

#468 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Gordon Edes via Twitter:

Red Sox still looking at lefty relievers. One name that could be in play: Dennys Reyes

B-Ref.com page
Fangraphs page

Edited by mabrowndog, 18 December 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#469 Doctor G

• 1,900 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

I think they will start with Hill as the lefty . Curt Young has a history of helping lefties who rely on offspeed stuff.

#470 NoLastCall125

• 530 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Gordon Edes via Twitter:

B-Ref.com page
Fangraphs page

His career numbers (and most of the numbers up until last year for that matter) suggest that he could be the LOOGY they want/need.

But last year he got smoked by lefties, yet shut down righties. Weird splits, but it's probably because his BABIP did a complete reverse from the previous two years against both righties and lefties. So it could be worth taking a chance on and, since Theo is pretty much owning the rest of the league in finding good to great value for less money, it'd probably be a pretty cheap deal.

#471 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Gordon Edes via Twitter:

B-Ref.com page
Fangraphs page

In my LHR spreadsheet he's got 3-year weighted TAv of .247 LHB, .245 RHB, making him the best of the three non-elite, non-LOOGY types (the others being Joe Beimel and Will Ohman). Facing L-R-L that puts him as the equal of Feliciano, Romero, or Okajima. He's a very interesting option.

#472 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12,981 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Gordon Edes via Twitter:

B-Ref.com page
Fangraphs page

His $1.1M deal with the Phillies hit a snag and was called off. It concerns me that his agent wouldn't comment on whether or not it was health-related. Obviously, the Sox will do their due diligence, but this seems like a potential red flag.

Edited by Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat, 18 December 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#473 bombdiggz

• 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

This is a quality piece by Speier that neicely sums up how the BP came together and insights into what they might do for a LHR.

http://www.weei.com/...red-sox-bullpen

I hadn't realized how good Bard was against LHH last year.

Bard, meanwhile, was dominant against lefties in 2010. He blew away southpaws, holding them to a .141 average and .462 OPS compared to marks of .215/.627 against righties.

#474 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,644 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

I hadn't realized how good Bard was against LHH last year.

When you have a 99 mph screwball, that tends to happen.

#475 bombdiggz

• 987 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

That is a fun video to watch. Thank you for that.

#476 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

The run of 3-year deals continues. Jesse Crain gets $13M from the White Sox per Gammons and Scott Merkin.

#477 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Of course, it's not actually a screwball, but rather a ridiculously good two-seam fastball. I haven't looked at Bard's 2010 pitch/fx data but I bet he's starting to get the sort of separation between his 4-seamer and 2-seamer that Lester has, where they are completely distinct pitches (the break on Lester's 2-seamer is almost as different from his 4-seamer as his cutter is).

#478 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5,999 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Too much talking.

Posted Image

#479 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,293 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

Of course, it's not actually a screwball, but rather a ridiculously good two-seam fastball. I haven't looked at Bard's 2010 pitch/fx data but I bet he's starting to get the sort of separation between his 4-seamer and 2-seamer that Lester has, where they are completely distinct pitches (the break on Lester's 2-seamer is almost as different from his 4-seamer as his cutter is).

Yeah I think Savin knows that. By the way I believe Bard only threw that pitch twice. You could tell because the release point was noticeably lower than every other pitch. Too bad really, thats about as nasty as a pitch gets.

Too much talking.

Posted Image

"the ball is not supposed to move like that" -Swisher

#480 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Patrick Sullivan of Red Sox Beacon has a great piece on the pen today. The money shot in the site's Twitter feed:

Feliciano, Crain, Guerrier: $34M in guaranteed $. Jenks, Wheeler, Albers: $15.875M

Sully compares Wheeler to Feliciano and finds a few differences of note -- especially their respective price tags:

If Wheeler and Feliciano will have different roles, they shouldn't be markedly so. They both have had their share of struggles against opposite-handed batters. You might even call Feliciano a LOOGY. Wheeler was good against lefties in 2008, struggled badly in 2009, and was ok again in 2010 in very limited action against them. From 2008 to 2010, righties hit .329/.428/.479 against Feliciano. Over that same time period, lefties hit .230/.294/.482 against Wheeler. Here are some more numbers.

- - - - - - - - - IP K/BB ERA+
Wheeler 172.0 3.06 132
Feliciano 175.1 2.23 119

Wheeler's advantage in ERA+ is owed mostly to his superior "ability" to turn batted balls into outs. Maybe you don't view that as very predictive and under ordinary circumstances I might agree. But check out how their BABIP's stack up over the last three years.

Year - - - 2008 2009 2010
Wheeler .202 .203 .243
Feliciano .332 .289 .350

Perhaps because of his pitch repertoire, Wheeler has an ability to induce batted ball outs more consistently than others. And just as he did in St. Pete, he will be tossing in front of another stellar defense in Boston. I don't necessarily have strong feelings one way or the other on who the better pitcher is between Wheeler and Feliciano, but the mere notion that it's a tough call would seem to indicate that the Red Sox netted themselves a relative bargain.

He then goes on to castrate Cafardo (yeah, I know... low-hanging fruit) over Nick's unfounded pessimism over Jenks:

There's talk in mainstream circles that Jenks had an off year in 2010. Nick Cafardo even implies that Jenks is some sort of reclamation project in his Notes column from today's Globe:

The acquisition of free agent Bobby Jenks has given rise to speculation that Papelbon could be moved, with Daniel Bard ready to take over. Of course, that leaves you with Jenks as a setup man after three consecutive subpar seasons. Nothing says that Papelbon, or Jenks for that matter, won't stop the downward spiral.

Don't pay this thinking any mind. Jenks set career bests in FIP and xFIP and had one of the most prolific seasons of his career striking batters out in 2010. That's some "downward spiral," huh?

Oh, and here's the crux of Marc Normandin's Beacon article on Jenks from Thursday:

Ignore Jenks' 4.44 ERA from 2010. First, reliever ERA is typically suspect due to inherited and bequeathed runners, sample size and the like. Second, his strikeout rate was the second-highest of his career at 10.4 per nine, he posted a 3.4 K/BB ratio (better than either Bard or Papelbon in 2009 and 2010) and has a career groundball-to-flyball ratio of 2.0, including a career-best 2.8 mark last season. Now, picture Jenks either missing bats or putting the ball in play in a place where Kevin Youkilis, Marco Scutaro, Dustin Pedroia or Adrian Gonzalez can field it with ease, or, when the ball does reach the outfield, it is fielded by Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, or J.D. Drew.

The focus on defense matters, as Jenks' issues with BABIP were not so much his doing. The White Sox allowed a .310 BABIP on flyballs for Jenks last year, whereas the league average is a paltry .137. Flyballs are supposed to be the best thing to give up in terms of having a low BABIP, and the Sox more than doubled the average in Jenks' 55 innings. Whether that was a fluke due to the sample, or the White Sox outfielders not getting to balls they should have doesn't matter so much–what does matter is that 2010 is now behind Jenks, and chances are good there will not be a repeat of that bogus flyball BABIP.

When the ball does go in the air for Jenks, it usually isn't a concern. His ability to keep the ball on the ground has resulted in low homer rates, and with a career in a park that excels in helping the ball clear the fence. A look at his stuff shows how he could pull it off: the righty throws in the mid-90s with movement, and complements that heat with a slider that misses bats. You can see why giving him just $6 million a year for two seasons is a bargain even without the context of the current relief pitcher market.

Really great stuff all around. I'm somewhere between cautiously optimistic and downright giddy over the pen right now.

Edited by mabrowndog, 20 December 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#481 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,644 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

The White Sox allowed a .310 BABIP on flyballs for Jenks last year

I just went through the gamelogs out of curiosity, and I got .300--9 hits out of 30 non-LD flyballs--but either way, it's a weirdly high number.

The 9 hits consisted of 5 deep flies for XBH and 4 bloopers. The deep ones were given up to predictably big bats, mostly LHH: Thome, Hafner, Mauer, Travis Snider. The only RHH in the bunch was Peralta.

It seems reasonable to hope that Drew and/or Cameron will get to a few balls that Carlos Quentin would not have.

#482 twothousandone

• 2,926 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

The Red Sox don't assess the market, they assign value. If the market is above the value then they let other teams waste money.

I've been wondering about this. Of course this

So in a year with a bunch of guys getting three year contracts Theo gets these last two with a two year deal and a one year plus option. That's the kind of contracts these guys should get.

makes it moot for this off-season. It was a great job by the Sox to, in essence, wait as the top of the market was set, and other adjusted to it. Then when everyone with need and money had paid, the Sox could look at what was left in a very fungible market. But I believe they do assess the market, and that they have to, in a way that resembles this:

Players under their control as of two weeks ago (Papelbon, Bard, Atchison, Doubront, Wakefield, Bowden, Hill) can staff a bullpen rather cheaply. But then the So x have to determine if it is good enough to support a winning team. If it's not, then they have to upgrade -- that's where the market comes in. If the going rate for someone better than those that typically ride the AAA shuttle is $10 million for two years, that's what they have to be prepared to pay. Even if Dan Wheeler is only "worth" $3 million for the upgrade he provides, not paying the $5 million over two years runs a bg risk of tanking everything else the Sox have done in the off-season. In essence the market sets the price of the upgrade the team may determine they have to make -- once they know they have to go elsewhere. So, they can't just let everyone else waste their money -- they do have to figure out how to work the market to get the best value they can, given their needs.

And I'd suggest they did it very well -- in essence matching the dollar amount of comparable talent for each of the last two guys they signed, while finding creative ways to restrain the multi-year commitment -- with Jenks, it's obviously the chance to hit the FA market as a "proven closer" if he is coming off a good year, and with Wheeler, it's the chance to get the longer-term deal if he pitches well, yet hit the market unconstrained by picks if he doesn't. Jenks probably thinks he's looking at $42 million over the next five years, Wheeler thinks he's gonna' get at least $6 million over the next two. It's not Jesse Crain's deal for Wheeler, but close enough. And probably the best he could do at this point.

But, the Sox got the deal because they realized the limited demand at the prices that others had been paying. Once that demand dried up, they took what was left. It looks as though Wheeler's agent got pretty creative, but Wheeler (unless this is the place he wanted to be) should spend a lot of time asking his agent why he isn't guaranteed $9 million over the next three years. His agent is the guy who (maybe) mis-read the market.

#483 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Per Alex Speier, here's what four of the relievers recently signed to minor league deals will earn should they make the club:

– Andrew Miller, $1,300,000
– Jason Bergmann, $700,000
– Rich Hill, $580,000
– Lenny DiNardo, $500,000

#484 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,014 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

i didnt have answer on wbz-fm a few mins ago. but yes, #redsox are still looking at fuentes. pen w/ him, bard, jenks & pap would be superb

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/19806052073607168

#485 JMDurron

• 4,331 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

This certainly wouldn't be the first (or second, or third) time I've been wrong along these lines this offseason, but I really think the Red Sox are at the point of diminishing returns when it comes to spending significant $ on bullpen arms. I'd really prefer that they let somebody else overpay Fuentes in both dollars and years.

Is the value of Doubront as a potential starter really that much higher than the savings from using Doubront over Fuentes as the bullpen LHP? I suppose that someone in the Baseball Ops side of the house might really, really love him as potential starter (his minor league numbers don't look bad, after all, at a superficial glance), but I don't think the Sox have any shot of getting Fuentes for Wheeler money, or even Jenks money.

#486 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

Too much talking.

Posted Image

That moves like Pedro's old change up.

#487 YTF

• 3,692 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

This certainly wouldn't be the first (or second, or third) time I've been wrong along these lines this offseason, but I really think the Red Sox are at the point of diminishing returns when it comes to spending significant $ on bullpen arms. I'd really prefer that they let somebody else overpay Fuentes in both dollars and years.

Is the value of Doubront as a potential starter really that much higher than the savings from using Doubront over Fuentes as the bullpen LHP? I suppose that someone in the Baseball Ops side of the house might really, really love him as potential starter (his minor league numbers don't look bad, after all, at a superficial glance), but I don't think the Sox have any shot of getting Fuentes for Wheeler money, or even Jenks money.

Coming from Heyman, I'm not sure I put a lot stock in the Sox looking at Fuentes. I'm sure that they would look at ANYONE whom they thought could help the team at a price that seemed reasonable to them, so the question becomes this......IF there is anything to this and IF Sox and Fuentes come to an agreement that pleases both parties, what would his role be and is someone else moved? Perhaps Bard as part of a deal for Justin Upton? This is the only way I see the Sox adding another setup/closer type at what should be in the neighborhood of Jenks money.

Edited by YTF, 28 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#488 Ananti

• little debbie downer

• 2,075 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

As we learned to our bitter end in 2009, they are only "diminishing returns" if everyone is healthy and everyone is performing to their expected norms.

If you have injuries, and players who for whatever reason have disastrous seasons, all those extra pieces becomes the difference between having a quality major leaguer and a minor leaguers who are replacement level or worse playing key positions.

#489 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,263 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

I can't imagine that the Red Sox would want Fuentes in a capacity other than a LOOGY or an L-R-L specialist -- what Okajima was supposed to have been in 2010. That wouldn't really be a Doubront substitute, I think -- Doubront slots better as an all-purpose reliever (including for multiple innings) and spot starter than a leftie specialist. I could imagine both Fuentes and Doubront in the bullpen, but that would mean that Fuentes couldn't get near-closer money from any team, and that a LOOGY was unlikely to emerge from Rich Hill and other candidates. It would also Theo was burning money, and that doesn't seem likely.

The Red Sox are the biggest spenders this year, so they are plausible candidates as almost any agent's Mystery Team. It's nice to be somebody else's hype: the sincerest kind of flattery.