Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

5/26 ml Gameday: The Return of Abe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Abe Alvarez) vs. Louisville (Darrell May) [7:05pm]
EL: Portland (David Pauley) vs. New Britain (Errol Simonitsch) [7:05pm]
CL: Wilmington (Tommy Hottovy) @ Myrtle Beach (James Parr) [7:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (Mike Rozier) vs. Greensboro (Aaron Thompson) [7:05pm]

-Brandon

#2 mr guido

• 3,112 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

Who pitches for Pawtucket tomorrow? Would that be Hansen? I know Coco will be rehabbing Sat & Sun. Seems like it might be a good weekend to go catch a game.

#3 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hansen tomorrow, Lester Sunday. I know tickets are all gone on the PawSox site.

#4 mr guido

• 3,112 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

Hansen tomorrow, Lester Sunday.  I know tickets are all gone on the PawSox site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. I'm out of town anyway, but it sounds like whoever has tickets this weekend will be getting their money's worth.

While I'm in the ml thread, I might as well ask: is it the opinion of any of our local experts that we'll be seeing Hansen in Boston as a starter sometime before September of this year? (and is there a more appropriate thread for me to ask questions like this?)

Edited by mr guido, 26 May 2006 - 10:51 AM.

#5 amfox1

• 3,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:56 AM

While I'm in the ml thread, I might as well ask:  is it the opinion of any of our local experts that we'll be seeing Hansen in Boston as a starter sometime before September of this year?  (and is there a more appropriate thread for me to ask questions like this?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is my opinion that you will not see Hansen in Boston as a starter this year.

It is my opinion that you will see Lester in Boston as a starter at least once in June and probably permanently beginning in September.

#6 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:59 AM

(and is there a more appropriate thread for me to ask questions like this?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One off questions are OK here. If they generate a viable discussion, I'll split it out (into the ml Forum).

-Brandon

#7 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

I really think that by July Hansen will be in our bullpen pitching 2 or 3 inning stings, such as coming in to get the last out in the 5th and then pitching the 6th and 7th.

Lester's next few starts are scheduled to be on 5/28, 6/3, 6/8, and 6/13 if they push everyone back a game because of the 5/31 off day and don't have a rain out. They should be able to line him up for the doubleheader on 6/10.

Edited by SoxScout, 26 May 2006 - 11:44 AM.

#8 amfox1

• 3,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

David Murphy and Barry Hertzler have been promoted to AAA.

Chris Durbin and Randy Beam have been activated from the Portland DL.

Edited by amfox1, 26 May 2006 - 12:58 PM.

#9 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

David Murphy and Barry Hertzler have been promoted to AAA.

Chris Durbin and Randy Beam have been activated from the Portland DL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's weird. It doesn't seem that Murphy has done anything in particular worthy of being promoted. But given his age, there really isn't any downside here. It will be interesting to see what he can do at this level for the first time.

#10 amfox1

• 3,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

David Murphy:

First 19 games:

17/74, 4-2B, HR, 24 TB, 10/6 K/BB - .230/.288/.324/.612

Last 23 games:

30/98, 13-2B, 3B, 2HR, 51 TB, 19/5 K/BB - .306/.337/.520/.857

Total:

47/172, 17-2B, 3B, 3HR, 75 TB, 29/11 K/BB - .273/.315/.436/.751

Barry Hertzler:

16G, 6GF, 4SV, 0-0, 25.2IP, 20H, 3ER, 17/14 K/BB, 0 HRA, 1.05 ERA, 1.32 WHIP

(and he's from East Providence, RI)

Edited by amfox1, 26 May 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#11 TheDeuce222

• 234 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

I'm happy with this Murphy move. I think if we lose another outfielder for a prolonged period of time, depending on his performance with Pawtucket, he would be a much better option than Willie Harris. He might not have the same blazing speed, but at least as a rookie he probably won't be taking bases on his own when he has the hold sign. In addition, having seen him play a couple of times, he seems more than adequate in a corner spot and decent in center.

#12 ShaneTrot

• 4,526 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

I am kind of indifferent to Murphy being promoted. I still think he hasn't earned it. His recent success is heavily weighted on a 5 for 5 game a few weeks ago. But the Pawtucket offense is not that good and maybe he can help.

#13 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

he followed that up by going 0 for his next few games... it all equals out. Plus, it's not like they were bloop hits, 4 were for extra bases.

#14 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

the extra power is nice, but he's not walking at all, which is surprising given his pedigree coming out of college. Still, a .751 is somewhat passable I guess. I'd be interested to see his combined numbers starting last June when he got hot, through the AFL and up to now. You're probably looking at 500-600 ABs somewhere in the neighborhood of .800 -.850 OPS.

#15 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

Wilmington: PPD Rain

Edited by Cuzittt, 26 May 2006 - 09:43 PM.

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Murphy's debut:

- 2-run jack, no doubter
- Robbed on a long fly ball to the wall
- Deep double over the centerfielder's head
- Ground out to second

Has made a fielding error.

Edited by SoxScout, 26 May 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#17 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

Charlie Zink comes up huge in relief tonight: 2.1IP, 3H, 4ER, 5BB, 1K, 1HR (6.87)

Edited by SoxScout, 26 May 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#18 amfox1

• 3,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

Greenville:

Drive trails 2-1, end 6th

Rozier appeared to pitch ok. 6IP, 4H, 2ER, 3/3 K/BB, 11/2 GB/FB

Yema has two hits, including an RBI triple.

#19 amfox1

• 3,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

Portland:

No Murphy, no offense.

Sea Dogs have three singles through 8 innings, two by Minges and the other by Moss.

Pauley pitched ok (8IP, 6H, 3ER, 4/1 K/BB, HRA), but you cannot win if you cannot score.

Beam makes his debut since being activated from the DL with a clean inning.

Sea Dogs trail 4-0, mid 9th

#20 Gash Prex

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:27 PM

think that timetable on jon lester just got moved up a couple of weeks....

#21 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Abe Alvarez picks up his first loss of the season, as the Pawsox lose to Louisville 9-3.

Abe goes 4+ innings, giving up 7 hits and 3 walks, allowing 4 runs. Charlie Zink goes the next 2 1/3 innings, giving up 3 hits (1 HR) and 5 walks, allowing 4 runs while striking out one. Tim Bausher goes the final 2 2/3 innings, giving up a SOLO HR and a walk, striking out 2.

David Murphy, Ken Huckaby and Jeff Bailey each went 2/4; Bailey with a double, Murphy with a double and a HR. Adam Stern and Dustin Pedroia each went 1/4. Ron Calloway went 0/3 with a HBP. Hee-Seop Choi, Rod Nye and Trent Durrington each went 0/4.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#22 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

Portland loses to New Britain, 4-0.

David Pauley goes the first 8 innings, giving up 6 hits (1 HR) and a walk, allowing 4 runs (3 earned) while striking out 4. Randy Beam goes the final inning, giving up a hit and striking out one.

Tyler Minges went 2/4. Brandon Moss went 1/3. Zach Borowiak went 0/2 with a HBP. And that was the offense.

David Bacani went 0/4. Jeremy West, Chad Spann, Chris Durbin, Dusty Brown, and Alberto Concepcion each went 0/3.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#23 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

Greenville scores a run in the bottom of the 9th to defeat Greensboro, 3-2.

Mike Rozier goes the first 6 innings, giving up 4 hits and 3 walks, allowing 2 runs while striking out 3. He also picked off two runners at first. JT Zink goes the next 2 1/3 innings, giving up 3 hits and striking out one. Blake Maxwell pitches to 2 batters, and get them both out.

Yahmed Yema led the offense, going 3/4 with a double and a triple. Christian Lara went 2/3 with a sacrifice. Logan Sorensen went 2/4. Jay Johnson went 2/5. Chris Turner went 1/4. Jeff Natale went 0/3 with a walk. Bubba Bell walked in his only AB. Matt Mercurio, Mark Wagner and Tony Granadillo each went 0/4.

Boxscore

-Brandon

Edited by Cuzittt, 26 May 2006 - 09:45 PM.

#24 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

Pawsox Stories:

Game Story

Pawtucket manager Ron Johnson and pitching coach Mike Griffin weren't worried about Abe Alvarez's mindset when he took the mound for his first start in 19 days last night.

They were worried about rust.

Unfortunately for Alvarez, the rust won out last night, as he struggled through four innings against Louisville, allowing the Bats to earn a series split with the PawSox by virtue of their 9-3 win.

The loss was Alvarez's first of the season -- he began the year 5-0, the first Pawtucket pitcher to do so since Sun-Woo Kim in 2000.

"I went out there and tried to do my best," Alvarez said after his first start since May 7. "I didn't have it and I couldn't find it. It wound up being worse than I thought it would. I didn't enjoy it."

Pawsox Notebook

At 11:30 yesterday morning, Barry Hertzler walked to the front door of his family's East Providence house and greeted his parents.

He was home.

Hertzler, a right-handed reliever who grew up dropping bottles over the McCoy Stadium railings to get autographs just like the kids who were in the stands last night, yesterday was promoted from Double-A Portland to the PawSox.

He will get the opportunity to play close to home for the first time since his senior year of high school seven years ago, when he was an All-State pick with the Townies.

"It's a thrill," Hertzler said of the opportunity to play with Pawtucket. "Knocking on my parents' door this morning, letting them know I'm back. It's nice to be back home and spend time with family and friends I haven't seen in a while."

Seadogs Stories:

Game Story

If you wanted a metaphor to describe the challenge of hitting against soft-throwing New Britain lefty Errol Simonitsch on Friday night, the moist air above Hadlock Field was thick with it.

"That fog," said New Britain Manager Riccardo Ingram, "was kind of scary. There were quite a few balls that, coming off the bat, I had no idea where they were going."

They didn't go far for the Sea Dogs, who scratched out only three singles against Simonitsch in a 4-0 Eastern League loss before a paid crowd of 6,502 at Hadlock Field. The loss ended a five-game win streak for the Sea Dogs, who wasted a fine pitching performance from David Pauley (2-3).

Drive Stories:

Game Stry

Thanks to center fielder Yahmed Yema, the Drive claimed a 3-2 come-from-behind victory in front 6,481, the largest crowd in the history of West End Field.

With one out and the bases loaded in the ninth, Yema lined a shot off the centerfield wall to drive in the winning run and break a 2-2 tie to give Greenville the walk off victory.

Yema finished with four hits in five at-bats, including a double and a triple. He had two runs batted in. He became the first Drive player to collect four hits in a game.

"We've been struggling a little bit for a couple of games," said Yema. "We didn't do too well on the road trip. But we decided we had to come today, play as hard as we could and come up with a win."

The win, which allowed Greenville a split of its four games with the Grasshoppers, improved its record to 24-24. Greensboro fell to 26-21.

"We hung in there and the guys fought," said Boston Red Sox outfield and base-running coordinator Lou Frazier, who was standing in for Drive manager Luis Alicea, who was in his hometown of Wellington, Fla. for a pre-arranged engagement. "We came back and won."

-Brandon

#25 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,362 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

Guess ol Charlie can't remember that grip, huh?

Good to see Murphy get off to a fast start. I'm not totally sure he deserves the promotion, but he's shown that he has the talent, he's just inconsistent in showing it. After seeing Hanley flounder last year only to flourish this year, I'm down with the move though. It wipes his stats clean and gives him a fresh start- and he can now see the big leagues from where he is. If he can hit, I think there's room for him as early as the end of this season.