Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

SoSH Scuba Divers!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3,580 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:45 AM

I first certified as an SSI Open Water Diver 13 years ago, but really didn't do anything with it until recently. My girlfriend certified SEI last month off the coast of Rockport, and we've dove a few time since. We're looking to maybe dive Newport, RI later this month.

I figured I'd see if any SoSHers are Scuba Divers or once were divers or have any remote interest in a subject that involves getting wet and going down. If so, where do you dive?

Last weekend the waters of Rockport were turbulent to say the least. I can't imagine how they must be with the hurricane riding up the coast.

Edited by brs3, 01 September 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#2 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Somewhere buried around here is my "Sons of Mike Nelson" thread.

Wish I'd seen this earlier! My husband and myself were in RI the weekend of the Sept. 25th. We dove at Fort Wetherill and Fort Adams.

I was certified in Maine in '04. Living in Maine, I've done a lot of local diving, but also have logged dives in VT, NH, Mass, Florida, and Ohio (quarries). In 3 weeks, we're off to Cozumel to dive. I've been to Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and Bonaire. We're planning another trip to Bonaire in April.

This past summer has not been the best for local weekend diving.

#3 brs3

• 3,580 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Somewhere buried around here is my "Sons of Mike Nelson" thread.

Wish I'd seen this earlier! My husband and myself were in RI the weekend of the Sept. 25th. We dove at Fort Wetherill and Fort Adams.

I was certified in Maine in '04. Living in Maine, I've done a lot of local diving, but also have logged dives in VT, NH, Mass, Florida, and Ohio (quarries). In 3 weeks, we're off to Cozumel to dive. I've been to Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and Bonaire. We're planning another trip to Bonaire in April.

This past summer has not been the best for local weekend diving.

My girlfriend & I are participating with a volunteer dive crew with the NYC aquarium, but it looks like we won't be diving this winter in the tanks. Between our relative amateur status and the line of divers ahead of us, we're going to volunteer in other ways and hope to make the list of divers next winter.

Where in VT did you dive? I didn't know there were options there.

I'd like to someday go to the Underwater Museum in Mexico. Looks like it would be amazing.

#4 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

My girlfriend & I are participating with a volunteer dive crew with the NYC aquarium, but it looks like we won't be diving this winter in the tanks. Between our relative amateur status and the line of divers ahead of us, we're going to volunteer in other ways and hope to make the list of divers next winter.

Where in VT did you dive? I didn't know there were options there.

I'd like to someday go to the Underwater Museum in Mexico. Looks like it would be amazing.

A friend who dives as a volunteer for an aquarium explained to me recently that while the diving was interesting, it's equally fascinating to help in other ways and see all that goes into running the place.

VT has a quarry - Brownstone Quarry if you happen to be in the area. It's something different but not worth a special trip.

#5 brs3

• 3,580 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

We went through the introductory session, and had a behind-the-scenes look at the aquarium. It was amazing. They set up the dive team with breathing tubes, rather than tanks, as some of the fish tanks are tight spaces. I'm looking forward to getting set up w/ the aquarium, even if I won't be diving this winter. By next winter, I hope to have logged 15-25 dives, so I'll be eligible for joining the dive team rotation.

As expected, the head of the dive group explained that members of the dive team end up improving their breathing and have the opportunity to try various equipment that might otherwise not present itself. They offer free storage for dive members, and free access to any of the NY zoos/aquariums.

One aspect that seems interesting is cleaning the main tank in the NY Aquarium. They set up divers with full face masks and a microphone to interact with visitors.

I have a friend who's an instructor(he certified my girlfriend), and he plans in diving in MA next month. I can't even imagine the insanity of that idea.

#6 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

I am looking to do an online program and get dive certified in Florida this summer. Does anyone know of a specific program I can look at?

#7 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

I'm happy you are planning to learn to dive! The world needs more divers.

I don't know anyone who as done the online classes, however PADI and NAUI both offer them; there may be other agencies that do but those are the 2 biggies AFAIK. Instructors may be either one or the other but not both, so choose your class/instructor combination accordingly. As an aside, I will say that the PADI Advanced Diving course book was excellent. PADI has made an effort to employ educators and seems to have worked hard to improve the user experience.

From the web site:

Prior to certification as a PADI Open Water Diver, you'll visit your PADI Dive Center or Resort to complete your training. You'll take a short eLearning Quick Review to confirm your understanding of safety-related material from the course, and you must successfully complete five confined water dives and four open water training dives with your PADI Instructor. You learn and master each of the required skills in confined water (swimming pool-like conditions) first before moving on and showing your instructor that you can comfortably repeat those skills in open water. As a PADI Open Water Diver, you will be a certified entry-level diver able to rent dive gear, get air fills and dive anywhere in the world in better or similar conditions to those you've trained in.

NAUI's web site isn't as informative but it's safe to assume the in-water requirements will be similar.

I'll state the obvious and say that you'll be doing around 9 dives with an instructor, so it's best to find one you're comfortable with. How important is that? It depends. If you think you'll have difficulty with any of the in-water skills, connection with/trust in your instructor can make the difference between success or failure to get certified. For this reason, you may want to choose an instructor before paying for any particular online course.

One great and unique thing about Florida is that there are fresh-water springs that make great places for some of your training dives.

I didn't really answer your questions, but I'm pretty impatient for diving weather and in a mood to think about diving at the moment. OJ, people dive for many different reasons. What is yours? Do you have a ready-made dive buddy and a group to dive with? Will you dive for pleasure or work? What do you hope to get out of diving? You may get more info if you can share your vision a bit. Then again, there aren't many other divers here and aw heck I'm just nosey!

#8 octoberaroma

• 320 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

I am looking to do an online program and get dive certified in Florida this summer. Does anyone know of a specific program I can look at?

PADI is probably your best bet IMHO.

#9 brs3

• 3,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

May finally get some diving in this summer. Looking to head to Cape Ann this weekend. Haven't gotten a full report on conditions yet, but barring crappy underwater conditions I'll be venturing to Folly Cove and perhaps my first boat dive!

#10 doc

• 2,644 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

I was certified in 1976 and dove all around New England in high school and college and then after college my dive buddies scattered to the winds and I haven't been diving since about 1985. Two years ago I taught my kids to snorkel in the Bahamas and my son loved it, we've been snorkeling in the Keys as well. After all this time I will probably get re-certified, all my old cards are dust and they can't find me in any of the data banks at PADI or NAUI. All my experience is cold water except the snorkeling with the kids, one of those was a boat snorkel to Sombrero Reef, it was amazing.

#11 brs3

• 3,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

The New England Aquarium Dive Club is doing a Tropical Fish Rescue off the coast of Rhode Island during Columbus Day Weekend and I'm hoping to jump on that opportunity.

I also met with the dive crew leader of the New York Aquarium, and may be giving their dive team another chance as something to do during the winter to stay scuba fresh.