Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

NEW Android Phone Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1036 replies to this topic

#101 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,171 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

Seriously, what was the point of splitting these threads out?

#102 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,248 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

The Bing search app is actually better than the Google one believe it or not.

#103 amlothi

• 390 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

I thought maybe the info might help him. Every issue isn't necessarily phone specific.

I wasn't jumping on your for posting. I was simply using your post as an example. You are right, there are lots of things being discussed that are not phone specific - that was my point also. I'm glad the threads got merged, it makes it easier to follow everything.

#104 jdubbya

• 465 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Just received my Droid X today and I'm having a hard time charging it through a USB port on my laptop. I tried to download drivers from Motorola but it didn't take. Any ideas?

#105 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,372 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

I wasn't jumping on your for posting. I was simply using your post as an example. You are right, there are lots of things being discussed that are not phone specific - that was my point also. I'm glad the threads got merged, it makes it easier to follow everything.

No problem, I like one there for Android phones as well.

#106 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,032 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

SoSH does nothing better than ruining a thread with navel gazing. Thanks guys. Now shut the fuck up.

#107 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

Learned a new bit of slang today. Thanks.

#108 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere else- I checked the Droid threads and didn't see anything yet. Has anyone tried the Epic yet? I was just looking into it and from what I can tell it's basically an EVO with a slide out keyboard and a better screen. Any reason not to get this over an EVO at this point?

#109 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,910 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

So I have my new every two coming up. What is everyone's thoughts on going with the Incredible or the X. I am hesitant with Motorola phones but if it's ultimately better then I can live with it.

#110 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,262 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

So I have my new every two coming up. What is everyone's thoughts on going with the Incredible or the X. I am hesitant with Motorola phones but if it's ultimately better then I can live with it.

Make sure you put your hands on the X before you commit. I saw one for the first time this weekend. It is a HUGE phone.

Posted Image

#111 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Got my warranty replacement today. Able to program it at home (where the trouble spot is), but as soon as I program it, I'm unable to make or receive any other calls. Can't even *228 to program it again.

My brother (who also has a droid incredible) was over at my apartment this weekend, his gets fine service.

Ready to stab someone in frustration at this point.

Edited by Jnai, 10 September 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#112 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,171 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

Did you just *228 it, or did you call Verizon to activate? If you did the former, do the latter, they can troubleshoot any problems you're having and then do the test call. Just call from a land line or someone else's phone.

#113 Jnai

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

I've done both with my old device. Not with the one I just got with warranty replacement.

#114 Jnai

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Also, if I factory reset my device, I'm able to complete the programming again (*228). But, as soon as I complete the programming, the phone won't connect any calls, including programming. It's very odd.

#115 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Make sure you put your hands on the X before you commit. I saw one for the first time this weekend. It is a HUGE phone.

Posted Image

You can handle the big toys, boys. Seriously, though. NE, you'll find it slips easily into your pocket and it's comfortable, provided you're not wearing skinny jeans, which can't hold cell phones away. (Full disclosure: I don't own skinny jeans - can the shoegazers/emo guys help us out here?)

I'll say this though: After owning the X for a month, I played with an iPhone 4 at the local Apple store, and thought it was absolutely tiny in comparison, and LOATHED the non-Swype keyboard. It's amazing how quickly you'll get used to something.

And if you're looking for a gaming/app phone, check out the Fascinate. It's the same form factor at the iPhone but with a much bigger screen (4.00" vs. 3.5") and packs a ton of processing power. Downside, of course, is TouchWiz, but if you're new to Android and like how iPhone functions, then you'll probably be cool with it.

Verizon's Android offerings are so good these days you virtually can't go wrong. Just spend some quality time playing with the phones and pick the one you're most comfortable with. And get a ONE YEAR DEAL. You'll be able to upgrade in 8 months, just in time for all the LTE devices and virtual wallet features I've heard will be coming out.

#116 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Got my warranty replacement today. Able to program it at home (where the trouble spot is), but as soon as I program it, I'm unable to make or receive any other calls. Can't even *228 to program it again.

My brother (who also has a droid incredible) was over at my apartment this weekend, his gets fine service.

Ready to stab someone in frustration at this point.

They may have you manually program the phone. Could be that the OTA programming isn't setting some value correctly. I'd go with the suggestion of calling customer service, and then maybe suggest that they manually program your phone. They should be able to pull out a book and tell you the correct keystrokes to get to the hidden menus and all that.

#117 Jnai

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Yeah... that's been tried. Trying to figured out the next step here.

#118 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Have you tried toggling the cdma roaming mode? Is it set to automatic or home? Just a stab in the dark but I could see that making a difference, especially if its set to "home only" now.

#119 Jnai

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Currently set to automatic.

#120 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

Well it seems less likely that that would work (switching from automatic to home only) but I think its worth a try.

#121 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

Off topic - I really wish I could search this thread to get a recap of your problem. Does anyone know why lurkers can't search? Is it a bandwidth thing?

#122 Jnai

• 9,562 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

Apparently after 3 weeks of talking to supervisors and submitting trouble tickets, it finally got routed through "The Network Systems Team" or some bullshit, which is different from the "Network Support Team" or some other bullshit. Essentially, one group just sits at their desk and replies "LOL Marginal Coverage Area", the other group actually goes out and fucking field tests the site.

When that was done, they found some problem with an upgrade to my cell tower.

So, 3 weeks later, they are sending me a network extender gratis and estimating a few more weeks / months to fix the problem for all the trouble it took them to actually send them to the site.

#123 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Sweet. Hopefully the network extender does the trick.

#124 Rossox

• 1,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

How do I install Swype on my Incredible? Are there any open betas?

#125 Hextall

• 179 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

How do I install Swype on my Incredible? Are there any open betas?

I'm going to try it tonight (I just got my phone yesterday), but there's a few videos on youtube (search HTC incredible swype) that has the .apk file link in the description. Plus the video shows how to install.

Edit: I tried via the youtube links... didn't work as the swype beta versions have all expired. searching around, there are some tricks people are trying to use to get it to work (reinstall several times, load another keyboard, deselect and reselect swype). I think I'll just wait for the full version.

Edited by Hextall, 10 September 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#126 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

I'll say this though: After owning the X for a month, I played with an iPhone 4 at the local Apple store, and thought it was absolutely tiny in comparison, and LOATHED the non-Swype keyboard. It's amazing how quickly you'll get used to something.

I am worried about this a bit as well. I have only had the X for two days. I was going to my old phone (NV Touch) to set up to transfer contacts and the screen felt completely tiny. I wonder if I will be able to downgrade screen size if I end up not liking this size for logistics.

#127 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14,395 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I posted in the iPhone thread saying I was looking to get one, but have since been drawn to the Droid. I guess I'm just interested in (finally) getting a smart phone in general.

X or Incredible. How inconvenient is the size in regards to the X? Can you actually put it in your pocket? The screen size would be pretty amazing, as you guys just said, but I don't carry a bag and I don't like belt clips.

#128 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

I stopped by a Verizon store today just to take a look at the Samsung Fascinate. It's pretty sweet. It's about the same size as the Incredible, but it actually has a nicer build, IMO. The back of the phone is smooth and feels good in your hand. TouchWiz is a bit too rudimentary for my tastes, but it was still a clean looking UI. I wonder how successful it'll be.

#129 bean8282

• 433 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

I was wondering if others have noticed that, while taking photos with the Incredible using the flash, the pictures are almost always overexposed?

#130 Caspir

• 3,546 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Yea, you need to adjust the settings a bit because the flash tends to show up in the pics. Only "complaint" I have with the phone.

#131 glennhoffmania

• Rudy of P&G

• 8,384,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Oh that's a really good idea. That way you can do them in clusters, or just pick the songs that you really want.

I just tried doing this but it's still not working too well. First, iTunes keeps telling me that the cd isn't blank. Then when I finally got it to work, none of the song info transferred over so I just have track 1, track 2, etc. I got them on my phone but now I don't know which song is which. There has to be an easier way to do this.

I also downloaded a file converter but that didn't work too well either. I imagine I'm not the first person to use iTunes and then get a Droid. I'm really starting to hate Apple.

#132 yecul

• 14,395 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

And if you're looking for a gaming/app phone, check out the Fascinate. It's the same form factor at the iPhone but with a much bigger screen (4.00" vs. 3.5") and packs a ton of processing power. Downside, of course, is TouchWiz, but if you're new to Android and like how iPhone functions, then you'll probably be cool with it.

Verizon's Android offerings are so good these days you virtually can't go wrong. Just spend some quality time playing with the phones and pick the one you're most comfortable with. And get a ONE YEAR DEAL. You'll be able to upgrade in 8 months, just in time for all the LTE devices and virtual wallet features I've heard will be coming out.

I have never had a smart phone of any kind. Why is TouchWiz such a negative? Won't the 2.2 upgrade take care of the Bing issue?

Regarding the 1-year deal and all that with constant upgrades and new bells and whistles always just around the corner won't you constantly be waiting or changing phones if you go that route? Or are these in a different category? Again, smart phone newbie (who knew there were any of us left), so I am just trying to learn about existing products let alone pending ones!

Edit -- Had watched/read many reviews and still am... this one seems to sum up the front end issues well: http://www.droid-lif...scinate-review/

Edited by yecul, 14 September 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#133 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,248 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Anybody having problems with the new version of Swype? It just feels off and sluggish. I could fly with the old version and now I'm hating it.

#134 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

is there a way to add words to the swype dictionary? because right now it doesn't let me swear. or swype in LOL-speak.

#135 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,171 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Give it fucking time.

#136 Joshv02

• 1,417 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

is there a way to add words to the swype dictionary? because right now it doesn't let me swear. or swype in LOL-speak.

Type the word and press space, then it should (fucking) remember it.

#137 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hey, that works, thanks josh (and OJ for the question). I couldn't deal without profanity.

#138 Joshv02

• 1,417 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

The downside is that it also remembers typos, but you can correct that too - highlight the typo (after swype prompted it) and press the swype key.

#139 JerBear

• 1,085 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

I found an neat app on XDA recently, but its still a little buggy. It lets you choose different keyboards based on phone orientation, for instance, Swype in portrait and Stock in landscape. Only works for root users.

http://www.androidpo...r-roottutorial/

#140 amlothi

• 390 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

The downside is that it also remembers typos, but you can correct that too - highlight the typo (after swype prompted it) and press the swype key.

Why isn't there a way to see the words added to the dictionary and delete them, like with the standard input?

It's (fucking) annoying.

#141 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,109 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Enter a word and click the SWYPE button in the lower left hand corner. If it's a swype word, it will ask if you want to delete it.

#142 yecul

• 14,395 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

Any good resources for Incredible accessories? Reviews and the like? I'm not entirely sure what I'd want to get, but certainly a screen protector makes sense and probably a car solution (no bluetooth).

#143 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,171 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

All of Seidio's products are good in my experience:

http://www.seidioonl...gory-s/4169.htm

In terms of "car solutions", I'd imagine you're looking for chargers and the like. Essentially all new phones use MicroUSB, so these aren't really phone specific. What works for an Incredible will work for a Droid and a BlackBerry.

#144 yecul

• 14,395 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Yes, charger. Some way to hook it up to my stereo (no jack, no bluetooth, so...). Maybe a mount if I use it as a primary music source and/or basic navigation -- won't be doing that anytime soon, just getting into the smartphone world.

Thanks for the link, btw.

Edited by yecul, 16 September 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#145 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

All of Seidio's products are good in my experience:

http://www.seidioonl...gory-s/4169.htm

In terms of "car solutions", I'd imagine you're looking for chargers and the like. Essentially all new phones use MicroUSB, so these aren't really phone specific. What works for an Incredible will work for a Droid and a BlackBerry.

I'd like to get that case. Had a Seidio on my BB and loved it.

How much of a boost will I get going to the 1750 battery (slim) over the current 1300mAh. Don't really want to get the big battery unless its necessary.

#146 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,171 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I don't have personal experience with one, and wouldn't really want my Droid to be any more bulky, but here are a couple links to reviews:

http://www.incredibl...ery-update.html

http://androidforums...tery-worth.html

#147 deconstruction

• 3,075 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Yes, charger. Some way to hook it up to my stereo (no jack, no bluetooth, so...). Maybe a mount if I use it as a primary music source and/or basic navigation -- won't be doing that anytime soon, just getting into the smartphone world.

Thanks for the link, btw.

It's (very) pricy, and I haven't tried any other mount, but my Proclip is sturdy, simple, and elegant. No suctions, no stickers--instead, it fits in between panels near the stereo and vents. If you don't mind dropping $50 on a mount (which, as I reconsider, is outrageous, but I'm somehow rationalizing it), get one.

#148 yecul

• 14,395 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

Just got my Incredible in the mail and charging it up before first use. Looking forward to joining the club.

That Proclip thing is pretty nice. I glanced on Amazon and there are other model/brands that seem similar. I will definitely consider it as my dash isn't roomy.

#149 EddieYost

• 4,372 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Just got my Incredible in the mail and charging it up before first use. Looking forward to joining the club.

That Proclip thing is pretty nice. I glanced on Amazon and there are other model/brands that seem similar. I will definitely consider it as my dash isn't roomy.

Have fun!

#150 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,248 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

This is kind of random, but when you set up the Facebook app do NOT have it bring over all of your FB contacts into the phone. It will bring over everybody that you're friends with including the people you only half know.