Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Jay Mariotti Being Held on Suspicion of Felony

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

<br clear="all"> Posted Image

ESPN's Jay Mariotti arrested by L.A. police [Updated]
August 21, 2010 | 8:17 am ESPN personality and sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested overnight by Los Angeles police officers in the Pacific division.

He was booked on suspicion of a felony, but officials would not provide further details.

A source with knowledge of the case described it as a domestic disturbance charge involving his girlfriend. He was being held on $50,000 bail.

Mariotti is a well-known sports commentator who can be seen on the ESPN show "Around the Horn." He also writes for a sports website called Fanhouse.com. Known for his outspoken views, he used to write a sports column for the Denver Post and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Details of the arrest were not immediately available.

[Updated at 9:30 a.m.: LAPD sources said Mariotti allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend at a club in Santa Monica.

The argument continued at the couple's apartment in Venice, where some type of physical altercation allegedly occurred. Police were called to the apartment, and Marioitti was arrested. He is currently being held at the 77th Street station.]

-- Andrew Blankstein

#2 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

HHAAHHahahahahah

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

God, I loathe that man.

#3 RIrooter09

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

A disgrace to humanity.

#4 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,605 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

Wait ... it was his girl-friend????

#5 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,760 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Get an Ozzie quote, stat.

#6 Titoschew

• 2,917 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Finally, the Mariotti karma train has rolled into the station. World class piece of shit.

#7 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,175 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Deadspin reported it this morning then updated that he made bail after 12 hours in jail (update - $50,000 bail). They are begging people to email what happened at the Santa Monica bar. I'm sure they'll get some responses. The guy is such a douchebag.

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 21 August 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#8 Dim13

• 1,198 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Tony Reali could be seen sitting behind Mariotti and his girlfriend at the club, awarding points to whoever was winning the argument.

#9 Grubbery

• 2,880 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

I worked with Mariotti briefly at the end of his tenure working for a Denver daily. and in person, he's behavior in person is entirely consistent with his public persona. In short: He's a tool.

#10 cornwalls@6

• 212 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Tony Reali could be seen sitting behind Mariotti and his girlfriend at the club, awarding points to whoever was winning the argument.

Well played, sir.

#11 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

Wait ... it was his girl-friend????

My reaction too. This guy sucks. A lot. Somewhere, Ozzie Guillen is interrupting an uncontrollable cursing tirade with a hearty chuckle.

#12 vadertime

• 973 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

A "domestic issue" is a felony and $50,000 bail? I despise wife beaters/domestic abusers with a passion but for a first time offense of this type (domestic issue) its usually a night in jail to cool off and a TRO.....there has to be A LOT more to this.

#13 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,339 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

A "domestic issue" is a felony and $50,000 bail? I despise wife beaters/domestic abusers with a passion but for a first time offense of this type (domestic issue) its usually a night in jail to cool off and a TRO.....there has to be A LOT more to this.

Your right on dude. 50k bail is LEGIT. This is not some fucking pushing and shoving match between two drunk spouses. He tried to hurt her bad.......or at least thats what the indictment is saying. Good luck with that.

This is fucking awesome.

#14 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 15,104 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

Your right on dude. 50k bail is LEGIT. This is not some fucking pushing and shoving match between two drunk spouses. He tried to hurt her bad.......or at least thats what the indictment is saying. Good luck with that.

This is fucking awesome.

it's at least possible the felony might be assaulting someone (e.g., a cop) who tried to stop the argument.

#15 JimD

• 4,731 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Finally, the Mariotti karma train has rolled into the station. World class piece of shit.

We'll know the karma train has arrived when some writer takes the few facts known about his case and uses them to write a holier-than-thou hatchet job on him.

#16 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,664 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

We'll know the karma train has arrived when some writer takes the few facts known about his case and uses them to write a holier-than-thou hatchet job on him.

Wait.....that's Jason Whitlock's music!

Since Whitlock spent most of last night tweeting Mariotti's many holier-than-thou columns about off the field problems, I am sure Whitlock is ready to fire away.

#17 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

Wait.....that's Jason Whitlock's music!

Since Whitlock spent most of last night tweeting Mariotti's many holier-than-thou columns about off the field problems, I am sure Whitlock is ready to fire away.

This got me thinking, what damning event to what sports writer would get the rest of the lot and the readers worked up the most? Locally, I'd have to go with Shaugnessy and something involving utter cynicism and ideally a hex as well. Nationally, I'm not as versed, but I bet a lot of writers would love the chance to smack BS around some.

#18 bd11

• 570 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

This is fucking awesome.

Yes it is.

#19 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,175 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Deadspin has a pretty good run down of what "allegedly" happened. But here is some of the juicy stuff:

"She sat on a couch and he grabbed her by the hair and whipped her around a bit ripped something out of her ear and shoved her around. With those actions I told my girl to call the cops and i went to the trunk of my cart to get my black wiffle ball bat to try and put the fear of god in him...but before i could do so he fired her into the elevator and they disappeared. Being the resourceful guy I am, I went up to the door and found out what floor they stopped at so i could relay that info to the cops. I'll tell you this much. the guy has a serious rage problem...[H]e was ripping stuff off the walls and firing it in the lobby too. some papers or something. i guess to show how macho he was."

Deadspin also thinks that he's gonna get fired from both ESPN and AOL Fanhouse. Christmas comes early this year I guess.

#20 cromulence

• 2,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

Deadspin has a pretty good run down of what "allegedly" happened. But here is some of the juicy stuff:

Deadspin also thinks that he's gonna get fired from both ESPN and AOL Fanhouse. Christmas comes early this year I guess.

What a fucking douchebag. If he ripped her earring out of her ear - that's some messed up shit.

#21 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,760 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Mariotti wrote this just 10 days ago. My irony meter has burst into flames.

#22 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,664 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Yep, especially the way Mariotti ended that column:

"Right now, the plan is I'm going to be going to (an) anger management program. And I cannot speak no farther about the legal stuff that we're going through right now. I want to apologize. Sorry." Unless I missed something, he didn't mention anything that remotely resembled an apology to a battered 53-year-old man. Bud Selig should take note of that.

He won't, of course.

#23 cromulence

• 2,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Holy shit, I couldn't even get past the first sentence. His career is completely over. It's just too bad it took a girl getting beat up for it to happen, because God knows his utter lack of talent and class should've done the job years ago.

#24 pedros hairstylist

• Allison?

• PipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

I love when good things things happen to bad people.

#25 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,847 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

gregg doyel really really hates jay mariotti

#26 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,175 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

That is tremendous. Sweet sweet karma.

#27 skifast4524

• 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

gregg doyel really really hates jay mariotti

The only way this story could of been better would be if it happened to Gregg Doyel.

#28 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

The only way this story could of been better would be if it didn't include domestic abuse.

Fixed that for you.

I know you guys hate Mariotti but try to keep the big picture in mind.

#29 WenZink

• 607 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Fixed that for you.

I know you guys hate Mariotti but try to keep the big picture in mind.

True... I feel so bad for Mariotti's girlfriend, not just for getting whomped on by Jay, but that the poor thing must have the self-esteem of a dung-beetle to be with that a-hole. Hopefully, this public episode causes her to get some professional help.

Mariotti is a douchebag with no redeeming qualities, it appears. I always flinch a bit when posters go off on Dan Shaughnessy as if he's the equivalent of a Mariotti. CBH is way above a turd like Jay M. CBH writes well... very well. Yes, he's made a career off of acting as if he's the Red Sox ombudsman, but he's done it with style. And while it pissed me off that he used (and allowed himself to be used) by Lucchino and the Dentist in the Theo/Larry power struggle, I can't blame Shaughnessy for doing that. It's his job.

Nice column, btw, by CBH, about how Roger Clemens sent his ailing (at the time) daughter Kate, a 6 foot teddy bear. Nice touch, even, mentioning how, at first, when he saw that the return address was from Katy, TX, he first suspected it might be a Trojan Bear -- given his criticism of Ohio Billy in the early 90s.

#30 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

The only way this story could of been better would be if it happened to Gregg Doyel.

The best part of that page is where Doyel claims to be built like a pro fighter.

Posted Image

Yeah bro, whatever you say.

#31 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,126 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Whoa, that boy had a meltdown on twitter. What an impossibly long time to be firing out angry tweets. Did Mariotti gang rape Doyle's mom with his college friends or something?

#32 Tartan

• 339 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

True... I feel so bad for Mariotti's girlfriend, not just for getting whomped on by Jay, but that the poor thing must have the self-esteem of a dung-beetle to be with that a-hole. Hopefully, this public episode causes her to get some professional help.

Mariotti is a douchebag with no redeeming qualities, it appears. I always flinch a bit when posters go off on Dan Shaughnessy as if he's the equivalent of a Mariotti. CBH is way above a turd like Jay M. CBH writes well... very well. Yes, he's made a career off of acting as if he's the Red Sox ombudsman, but he's done it with style. And while it pissed me off that he used (and allowed himself to be used) by Lucchino and the Dentist in the Theo/Larry power struggle, I can't blame Shaughnessy for doing that. It's his job.

He's also petulant ignoramus in dealing with any statistics more complicated than RBIs and batting average. And frankly, he's not really much of a writer either. He can be when he so desires, but he too often reaches for the angle that he knows will create drama, rather than just writing an interesting story like a fucking professional writer should. I do blame him for taking sides in the Theo/Larry thing for that reason. Given the choice between stirring up shit and writing a genuinely compelling narrative (a la what Joe Posnanski writes in his sleep) CBH will take the former every time. God, I hate his writing.

But even so, you're right that he's not even remotely close to Mariotti as turds go. Mariotti makes CBH look like teddy bear (or maybe Raggedy Andy).

#33 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,718 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Boys, it's CHB. Curly Haired Boyfriend. Not CBH. Sheesh.

#34 fairlee76

• 1,640 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

Eh, Curly Boyfriend Hair also does the job, though I suppose it is less Shank-specific.

#35 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think Max Kellerman may be more appropriate to commentate on any Mariotti appearances in the future.

Posted Image

#36 WenZink

• 607 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Don''t make fun of us dyslexics.

#37 fenwaypaul

• 3,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Wasn't Curly-Boyed Hairfriend the title of a Butthole Surfers album?

#38 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Wasn't Curly-Boyed Hairfriend the title of a Butthole Surfers album?

If it wasn't, it should be.

I love this story so much. I'm praying we get a Nick Nolte-level mugshot at some point.

#39 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,175 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

Posted Image

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 28 August 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#40 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49,118 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

Never heard of him.

#41 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 14,335 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

:rolling:

Around the Horn is hilarious today. Suck it Jay. Suck it.

#42 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 10,456 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

Amazingly, Around The Horn touched on this subject today.

Bob Ryan with the most candid comments. Basically, said he thinks Jay should have used his writing talents in another way rather than being a contrarian. Bob Ryan mentioned his own suspension for foolish comments (Joumana Kidd?) and hopes Jay will learn from his mistake like Bob has.

#43 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,847 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Amazingly, Around The Horn touched on this subject today.

Bob Ryan with the most candid comments. Basically, said he thinks Jay should have used his writing talents in another way rather than being a contrarian. Bob Ryan mentioned his own suspension for foolish comments (Joumana Kidd?) and hopes Jay will learn from his mistake like Bob has.

deadspin (and I'm sure many other places) has the video

#44 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

No felony charges for Jay. :(

LINK: http://www.sportsbyb...ny-charge-28950

#45 Vinho Tinto

• 3,731 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

No felony charges for Jay. :(

I also root for people to go to jail because they express douchey sports opinions.

#46 weeba

• 1,487 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

I root for people to go to jail for assaulting women.

#47 Vinho Tinto

• 3,731 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

I root for people to go to jail for assaulting women.

Let's wait for those pesky facts to come out.

#48 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,448 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image

#49 weeba

• 1,487 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

http://deadspin.com/...her-by-the-hair

The eyewitness who called the cops on Mariotti gives us his report.

This individual, who wishes not to be identified, was parked in his car, picking up his girlfriend outside the Air apartment complex on the corner of Rose Avenue and Ocean Front Walk. He made the call to the cops at 3:13 a.m. Saturday. This is a summary of the details he told them, which he shared with us.

"She sat on a couch and he grabbed her by the hair and whipped her around a bit ripped something out of her ear and shoved her around. With those actions I told my girl to call the cops and i went to the trunk of my cart to get my black wiffle ball bat to try and put the fear of god in him...but before i could do so he fired her into the elevator and they disappeared. Being the resourceful guy I am, I went up to the door and found out what floor they stopped at so i could relay that info to the cops. I'll tell you this much. the guy has a serious rage problem...[H]e was ripping stuff off the walls and firing it in the lobby too. some papers or something. i guess to show how macho he was."

#50 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

http://deadspin.com/5619582/jay-mariotti-domestic-dispute-witness-he-grabbed-her-by-the-hair

See post 19 here.