Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Chad Finn Chat on 8/20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

Intrepid Boston Globe blogger and sports media reporter Chad Finn will be doing a chat with us on Friday 8/20 from 11am until Noon. For those of you not familiar with Chad's work, his blog Touching All The Bases, is a must read for any sports fan. He welcomes any and all questions about sports in Boston, sports in general and about the Boston Sports media.

Pleas go ahead and post your questions in this thread ahead of time. He will answer any follow-up questions as time allows. He's doing his regular his regular boston.com chat starting at Noon.

As always, if any lurkers have questions, Pm them to a member and they'll get posted here.

You can also follow Chad on Twitter and Facebook.

Thanks to RedOctober for helping to set this up.

#2 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,181 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Is there any coherent defense of Kevin Cash being on a major league roster?

#3 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,073 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Chad, thanks for doing this.

I have a few questions.

1) Is it time for Toucher and Rich to move on from the Wallach era? His role has increased to a point where he is constantly interrupting, ruining breaks, and generally being just unfunny. If he was providing solid sports knowledge it would be tolerable, but right now I see him as a net negative. As a huge fan of the show since they arrived in Boston, it's disappointing.

2) What do you see the Sox doing with Ortiz next year? Picking up the option, letting him walk, working out a cheaper 2 year deal?

3) To what do you attribute the significant drop in Sox TV ratings this year? There seem to be a multitude of factors in play, I'm curious which you think are most prominent.

Thanks again.

#4 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14,354 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

Were the Sox ever close to making a trade? There were plenty of rumors and some apparent near-misses with Lowell, but I didn't see a lot of concrete stuff beyond that. Did the injuries and games back (and budget?) limit them or were teams asking too much?

What's up with Lackey? Any rumblings about what's happened this year and whether he's cooked or just having an off season?

#5 Phenom

• as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby

• 977 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

Chad, thanks for the time. Appreciate it.

1. Is it time for "The Big Show" to consider a format change? They've had the same James Brown theme song, the same whiner-line callers, and the same "bits" for well over a decade. 3-4 guys yelling and ragging on each other for 4 hours just doesn't seem to be as entertaining as it was in 2001. And with Felger gaining ground, the ratings back that up.

2. What odds would you put on Victor Martinez resigning with the Sox? How important do you think resigning Martinez is?

Really late edit: Another media question...will middays on "The Sports Hub" ever become bearable, or are we stuck with GRESH and/or Tanguay with Zolak forever? Also, what does it say about the people of Boston that ratings have actually gone up with GRESH? Is it just that Tanguay is that bad?

Edited by Phenom, 18 August 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#6 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,547 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hey Chad, Thanks.

What is your opinion of Ryan Kalish? Where do you see him fitting long-term?

Edit: Same goes for Saltalamacchia - opinion?

Edited by I am an Idiot, 11 August 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#7 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,579 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Chad:

We've all heard the complaints about Remy and Orsillo, but in reality, there aren't many other better broadcast pairs in local baseball. Meanwhile, we've been stuck with Gil and Gino on Patriot's Radio since the Steve Grogan era. Is there any chance of an upgrade there or do these two guys have "the goods" on Jonathan Kraft?

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 12 August 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#8 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,156 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Chad, love your work. If you were Programming Director and could pair any two radio hosts in the Boston market, who would it be?

Do you see the Sox going after Werth or Crawford in the offseason?

#9 Pandemonium67

• 3,236 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

FinnVT,

- Where does not dealing Buchholz for Saltalamacchia rank among the best non-trades Theo has made?

- I'm still nauseous after having watched Papelbon gag up a 2-run lead to the Blue Jays; what is Papelbon's future with the Sox and when does Bard become the closer?

- I agree that Tito is the best Sox manager of our lifetime. Is there stuff about his health that we don't know and that could bring a quick end to his tenure?

#10 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just want to say I'm really looking forward to this (and a bit intimidated, too). Keep the questions coming.

#11 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,174 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Chad, would you offer Beltre a long term deal? If so, what kind of money/years do you think it's going to take to land him?

Also, who are your 3 most disliked non Yankee players in baseball right now?

I'm a big fan of the podcast. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 13 August 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#12 Yazdog8

• 3,959 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

1. What are the chances the Sox bring back Bill Hall to be a super-sub? He's had 3 years of regression (2007 to 2009) but is having a fantastic year right now. Will his price be too high?

2. Outfield health has been a problem for the Sox all year. Given the tension between the FO and Jacoby Ellsbury over the rib diagnosis/misdiagnosis, does Theo remake the entire OF next year with it being JD Drew's last contract year with the Sox?

Edited by Yazdog8, 18 August 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#13 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,181 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Clay Buchholz: looks like he has arrived. Are there any remaining/lingering concerns about him for the long term as an ace?

#14 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,096 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi Chad, thanks a lot for your time.

Are Beckett and Lackey destined to be the highest paid 4th and 5th starters in the major leagues? Do you see one or both of these contracts being a huge albatross for the Sox over the next few years?

Despite the "you can never have too much pitching" adage, were you suprised to see the Sox commit so much money to contracts that would take both guys well into the wrong side of 30 when the trend in baseball in the post-steroid era has clearly been that successful teams get younger, not older?

#15 montoursvillefan

• 408 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the opportunity Chad, keep up the good work with TATB.

One player, all time, anyone, as owner, GM or manager, who would you build an MLB team around?

The most devastating of Red Sox injuries this season?

#16 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Chad. In today's piece, you mentioned Lowrie's lack of fundamentals, which I agree with. What have you heard about the Sox' plans for him in the future? To me, he seems like a good 4th IF. He can play numerous positions competently, but none really well.

#17 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,174 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

I asked Peter Abraham this question, but if you could snap your fingers and change 3 things about baseball, what would you change?

#18 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15,243 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for stopping by Chad. A few questions:

1. How long does the EEI core last? Dennis, Callahan, Arnold and Ordway have to be in their late 40s to early 50s, at some point (and some would say this already happened) but the sports world is going to fly by them ala Eddie Andelman. When will there be a change at EEI, what domino will fall first? I have to think that John Dennis is getting ready to call it a career.

2. Gerry Callahan is probably the most miserable person in the world of the Boston media. Is it an act? It has to be.

3. How has your new job (being a full-time writer) changed your life? Anything you don't like about the new gig?

4. Bill Simmons said this year's Red Sox team is the "most boring" team since the early 80s. He's obviously full of crap, which team do you think is the most boring?

Thanks for the time!

#19 Redkluzu

• tortures mice

• 1,625 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi Chad,

It's always interesting to read your take on players. I was particularly taken with what you said about Ellsbury yesterday: "The Red Sox doctors' diagnosis may have been a bit too casual in blurring the line between a bruise and a break; Ellsbury has been seriously hurt, and this latest injury makes you wonder if there's some unusual and perhaps chronic problem that will ail him the rest of his career."

Given your concern that he may not recover fully, do you think management's on that same wave length? What's your take on what will happen with Ells in the off season?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Redkluzu, 18 August 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#20 sleepyjose03

• 2,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hi Chad, thanks for taking the time to do this:

My question is a twist on the "most devastating injury" question posed by montoursvillefan:

What, in your opinion, was the single biggest cause for the Sox being stuck behind the Yankees and Rays for most of the season thus far? Was it a specific injury, the implosion of the bullpen, were the Yanks & Rays just that much better overall, or something else?

Thanks,

Marshall

#21 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4,669 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for taking our questions, Chad. I have a somewhat controversial query concerning race and the Boston media.

There have been many discussions among SoSH members concerning the perception that a large percentage of the Boston print and radio media engage a double standard when writing or talking about players of color. As a Latino fan, I believe this is especially true with Spanish speaking players. It is not just the obvious cases such as when Roger Clemens was praised (particularly by one columnist) as a leader for leaving a game early, while a few short years later Pedo was demonized (with vigor by the same columnist) for doing the same thing, or the particularly horrible nicknames given to minority players, but also the covert messages (I remember one game where Manny had 4 hits, including 2 home runs, and read a throw away line in a Boston paper the next morning about Manny settling for a single - not hustling - on a ball he hit off the wall that was a rocket not even Rickey Henderson in his prime could have stretched into a double), and the superior attitude some/many media members have, their tone dripping with disdain when discussing minority players not in favor.

I would love to hear your take on this. Is it something you have recognized, and do you perceive it as a problem particular to the Boston media, or is it more a general/national attitude where media members tend to favor those they identify with most closely? I understand you may not feel comfortable answering.

Thanks again.

#22 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Is the use of sabermetrics in your, and Pete's and Amalie's, work something that y'all brought with you to the Globe or is it something that the Globe has been actively encouraging or a combination of both? Have you been receiving positive feedback on it from readers other than folks like us on the board?

Also, do you see the newer generation of writers being less confrontational and controversial than the older generation? I realize that controversy sells, but so does good journalism and good writing.

Thanks again for doing this.

#23 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

We'd like to formally welcome Chad Finn for this live chat.

Again, if any Lurkers have questions, PM them and they'll get posted in here.

#24 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hey SoShers -- Thanks for having me over here to do this, really been looking forward to it. Back when I was first starting to write about the Sox 7-8 years ago when I was working in Concord, N.H., this place was always good to me in terms of critiquing my stuff and treating me fairly, and I always appreciated that. I've been a member here since then, and though I don't post much -- and just now discovered I have messages in my inbox -- I check in daily at the least, especially in the media thread. (And maybe P&G, but I'll deny it.)

Looks like there's some great questions, so let's get to it. I'll be here 'til 11.

#25 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

I have a few questions.

1) Is it time for Toucher and Rich to move on from the Wallach era? His role has increased to a point where he is constantly interrupting, ruining breaks, and generally being just unfunny. If he was providing solid sports knowledge it would be tolerable, but right now I see him as a net negative. As a huge fan of the show since they arrived in Boston, it's disappointing.

2) What do you see the Sox doing with Ortiz next year? Picking up the option, letting him walk, working out a cheaper 2 year deal?

3) To what do you attribute the significant drop in Sox TV ratings this year? There seem to be a multitude of factors in play, I'm curious which you think are most prominent.

Thanks again.

#26 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

Whoops, messed up my reply there . . let me try again . . .

#27 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

1) I understand where you're coming from on Wallach -- the more he talks, the less he seems to fit. They obviously brought him over there to be the guy to handle the sports stuff when there was some concern of how much Toucher and Rich (and then, Crash) could handle themselves. Wallach has helped in that regard, and he's a good sport in terms of being the butt of jokes. (Shazawi!) But he doesn't really fit that well banter-wise. I don't think any change is in the near future, though. They're very happy with the way everything has gone in year 1.

2) The conventional wisdom regarding Papi is correct in this case, from what I've heard. The chances of paying him $12.5 million next year are about the same as the chances of trading for Manny in the next week. But he desperately wants to stay here, he's aware of the deals DHs such as Vladi and Matusi got last year, and ultimately, I imagine he's back at 2 years at $7-8 million per.

3) A lot of things: The Bruins and Celtics extended runs (the latter more than the former), the terrible start by the Sox, the lack of a marquee player for those more interested in personalities than, say, OPS, and most of all, that the Manny/Pedro/Damon/Schilling teams were completely taken for granted by a certain element of fans and they expect every team to have the charisma and talent of the 03-04 Sox, which of course is unreasonable on so many levels.

I have a few questions.

Thanks again.

#28 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Chad,
Have you caught up with Pete Sheppard recently? What are his future plans? I wasn't his biggest fan, but his work on the Patriots Post-Game show with Smerlas was pretty good. Hopefully Neumy can keep up with his good wrok.

#29 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

I think it depends on the individual reporter or writer more than anything that's determined by editors or whatnot. With me, and with Pete, and I assume with Amalie too though I've never talked with her specifically about it, it's that desire to have as much information as possible and to be able to view a situation or a player from every possible angle before drawing a conclusion. Considering that's how the Red Sox make their decisions, it seems a prudent way for writers and reporters to do so, too. Beyond that, though, it's just fascinating. I know OPS+ has its little flaws, for instance, but I love it as a tool to compare, say, George Scott in '77 to Mo Vaughn in '93, to compare players across different seasons and eras. Generally, we do receive positive feedback, and when we don't, it's usually from someone arguing that Jeter's a Gold Glove shortstop despite what the metrics say, or claiming you can't measure heart, or something like that.

As for the second part of the question, I think again, it depends on the individual, but generally speaking, no. For every cranky older writer -- and I have no idea who you might be talking about there -- there's a Gregg Doyel or someone like that who's just out to stir stuff up and get clicks and reaction. For me personally, it's about enjoying writing and baseball and being fortunate enough to be able to meld the two into a paying gig. I think -- and Posnanski is the perfect example of this -- that if you truly enjoy what you're doing and have a genuine curiosity for the game, it will shine through and you will have more readers than you would if you just called Jacoby Ellsbury a you-know-what.

I've got to pick up the pace here . . .

Is the use of sabermetrics in your, and Pete's and Amalie's, work something that y'all brought with you to the Globe or is it something that the Globe has been actively encouraging or a combination of both? Have you been receiving positive feedback on it from readers other than folks like us on the board?

Also, do you see the newer generation of writers being less confrontational and controversial than the older generation? I realize that controversy sells, but so does good journalism and good writing.

Thanks again for doing this.

#30 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Man, a day does not pass that I'm not asked about Pete, either seriously or in jest. I don't know if there will be anything in the market for him in the near future -- he burned his bridges at WEEI and put all his eggs in the 98.5 basket, and while Felger and Mazz considered having him on as a guest, nothing more came of it. His timing was terrible, with 98.5 hiring Gresh right around the same time. I know he's playing a lot of poker, which from what I've heard about his poker skills isn't a good thing for his bank account.

Chad,
Have you caught up with Pete Sheppard recently? What are his future plans? I wasn't his biggest fan, but his work on the Patriots Post-Game show with Smerlas was pretty good. Hopefully Neumy can keep up with his good wrok.

#31 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,633 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

Chad,
Do you ever see 98.5 overtaking WEEI? Once Ordway and D&C retire, I have to believe that EEI won't keep a lot of their core listeners.

#32 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi idiot -- Let's see, this question was posted nine days ago, so that was before his grand slam, which probably affected opinions of him even more positively despite that he's got a surprisingly low .670 OPS. There's a lot to like, obviously -- plays three OF positions relatively well, strong arm, patient approach, very short, quick swing, runs well. He's one of those guys who will do things to help the cause even when he's slumping, and the Trot Nixon comparison is understandable. I imagine he breaks camp with the team next season, and he may start depending on what happens with Ellsbury. I know he really impressed guys like Cameron with the way he waited on the changeup from Weaver and was poised enough to crush it when he got it on the slam.

Hey Chad, Thanks.

What is your opinion of Ryan Kalish? Where do you see him fitting long-term?

Edit: Same goes for Saltalamacchia - opinion?

#33 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

You mean John Dennis hasn't retired already? I do think 98.5 has a pretty decent shot of overtaking them, though it should be said that their gains haven't particularly dented WEEI's ratings. Looking at the Cume, it's clear that what happens is just about everyone jumps back and forth now. But the point about the older core listernership is a good one -- 98.5 has already beaten WEEI in several instances in the 18-49 demos, while WEEI has held on pretty well in 25-54. It's pretty obvious that WEEI's listenership skews older. What's going to be really interesting is to see what Ordway or Dennis/Callahan get in their next deals. Ordway, I believe, signed a five-year deal last year, while D&C are on three-year deals. Circumstances will have been significantly changed by the time their next negotiations roll around. The days of the monopoly are gone for good.

Chad,
Do you ever see 98.5 overtaking WEEI? Once Ordway and D&C retire, I have to believe that EEI won't keep a lot of their core listeners.

#34 Rudi Fingers

• 1,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hi Chad - love TATB, including the baseball cards. One of my (unrealistic yet achievable) hopes is that Baseball Reference (the online equivalent to the back of the baseball card) would have links to the front side of a baseball card for each player, by year.

As for a question: What is your opinion on Dice-K's mini-resurgence? Is his ability to pitch deeper into games a case of luck (a pitch selection version of BABIP) or an actual concerted effort by him, the coaching staff, or the catcher of the week to shake him off?

#35 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

The relentless injuries were a big part of it -- it's bummer that we're never going to see what this very likable team could have accomplished at full health. But to me, the biggest reason for their current status is the pigheaded Texan who pitched last night. Three wins, a 6.67 ERA, and three consecutive lousy-to-shameful performances in relatively crucial games. Hard to believe he was actually considered by many to be the co-ace with Lester entering the season. Merloni has been beating the drum lately that Beckett just doesn't have the stuff he used to have. It may be too soon to say it given that he's still coming off an injury more or less, but it's something to consider whether he's going to have to add a little more finesse to his game.

Hi Chad, thanks for taking the time to do this:

My question is a twist on the "most devastating injury" question posed by montoursvillefan:

What, in your opinion, was the single biggest cause for the Sox being stuck behind the Yankees and Rays for most of the season thus far? Was it a specific injury, the implosion of the bullpen, were the Yanks & Rays just that much better overall, or something else?

Thanks,

Marshall

#36 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Love that avatar, Rudi Fingers -- I've always looked for a pic of those two in a Sox uni. Can't even find it in the Globe archives.

Love the idea about the baseball cards, too. baseball-reference has an initiative underway to get a photo of each player on his page, but Sean Forman is starting with the old timers and going from there, though I can't remember the reasoning. It looks really nice, though this is probably the worst mugshot I've ever seen of Ted Williams:

http://www.baseball-...willite01.shtml

With Daisuke, I mean, who the hell knows? If he's made some mental commitment to pitching more aggressively or whether Farrell finally drilled it through his skull or whatever, it's not something he's acknowledged as far as I know. At this point with him, you just have to accept that even when he's getting good results -- and to be fair, he almost always has when he's been healthy during his four years here -- while knowing that it's not always going to be aesthetically pleasing to watch.

Hi Chad - love TATB, including the baseball cards. One of my (unrealistic yet achievable) hopes is that Baseball Reference (the online equivalent to the back of the baseball card) would have links to the front side of a baseball card for each player, by year.

As for a question: What is your opinion on Dice-K's mini-resurgence? Is his ability to pitch deeper into games a case of luck (a pitch selection version of BABIP) or an actual concerted effort by him, the coaching staff, or the catcher of the week to shake him off?

#37 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Interesting thought, Phenom. The format on the Big Show in a way is proof of Ordway's brilliance in protecting his own turf. With him as the ringleader of the roundtable format, there's really no logical replacement for him -- he's made himself bulletproof over there. (I know he was rubbed the wrong way a little by Sheppard, who was angling for a bigger role, including his own show, when he was let go.) So of all the shows, that's the least likely to change, because of Ordway's Wizard of Oz persona and the still strong ratings. Yeah, they could update their theme song. But what's really hurt them, in my mind, is the decline in the quality of co-hosts in the last decade. Back when I first started listening, he'd have Ryan and Shaughnessy on, Jackie Mac, Callahan, later Felger and Mazz. Now, I think Merloni is a rising star, and I like Buckley and McAdam, but do we really need to hear Fred Smerlas talking about Jon Lester's mechanics? The cronyism developed when they had no legit challenger. It's imperative that if Ordway is to retain his throne, he gets better people around him now.

As for Gresh, I wrote at the time that 98.5 hired the only person more grating than the one he was replacing, Tanguay. But ratings have gone up, so I have to eat some crow with that. (Wait, Gresh just stole my helping of crow and devoured it. Oh, well.)

Victor? I hope he stays, and I suspect he'll get a reasonable offer from them, but the injury history and the fact that he's not going to catch much longer and he doesn't profile as a truly elite bat elsewhere probably works against him in Theo's mind. Hell, I want Victor, Beltre, and Papi back, because I want to see this team reassembled to make a healthy run. I almost feel like they deserve it, as silly as that sounds. Good thing Theo is less sentimental than I am.

One more, than I've got to run over to the other chat . . . this has really been fun, and I'm sorry it takes me so damn long to respond.

Chad, thanks for the time. Appreciate it.

1. Is it time for "The Big Show" to consider a format change? They've had the same James Brown theme song, the same whiner-line callers, and the same "bits" for well over a decade. 3-4 guys yelling and ragging on each other for 4 hours just doesn't seem to be as entertaining as it was in 2001. And with Felger gaining ground, the ratings back that up.

2. What odds would you put on Victor Martinez resigning with the Sox? How important do you think resigning Martinez is?

Really late edit: Another media question...will middays on "The Sports Hub" ever become bearable, or are we stuck with GRESH and/or Tanguay with Zolak forever? Also, what does it say about the people of Boston that ratings have actually gone up with GRESH? Is it just that Tanguay is that bad?

#38 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Nothing that you wouldn't worry about with any other young pitcher, Al. They did a great job limiting his innings and preparing him for this along the way, and their seeing the rewards for their patience now. Buchholz is another one I think of when people say this team is boring -- really? Because he sure is fun to watch pitch in my experience. I suppose I should also point out that I wanted the Sox to trade him rather than Justin Masterson at the trading deadline last year. Love 'em both, but it's fair to say the Sox made the right call -- and Toronto didn't for turning down the Halladay offer.

Clay Buchholz: looks like he has arrived. Are there any remaining/lingering concerns about him for the long term as an ace?

#39 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

OK, this is really the last one ...

You know, there's not a lot I'd change. I love where the game is right now. I like that one league has the DH and the other doesn't. But if there were three things to change . . .

1) Cut down on the interleague games and balance the schedule in the AL as much as possible. We see enough of the Rays, Yanks, etc., and not enough of the Twins, Tigers, and so on.

2) Get Joe Morgan out of the booth on Sunday nights. I'm convinced it's Hershiser and Miller next year, and I can't wait.

3) Make Jeter spend the final five years of his career playing for the Pirates, just so he knows how the other half lives.

Again, thanks for having me, gang, and feel free to drop me a note at twitter.com/GlobeChadFinn, facebook.com/chadfinn, or [email protected]

I asked Peter Abraham this question, but if you could snap your fingers and change 3 things about baseball, what would you change?

#40 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for taking the time do do this with us Chad. If you get a chance, could we post some follow-up questions here?

#41 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,613 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Chad! You are the ant's pants

#42 Chad Finn

• 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Absolutely. I'll pop back in tonight and give them a look. Thanks again, guys.

Thanks for taking the time do do this with us Chad. If you get a chance, could we post some follow-up questions here?

#43 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Absolutely. I'll pop back in tonight and give them a look. Thanks again, guys.

Thanks Chad. Here's one that didn't get answered.

#44 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,579 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

Chad: I hope you can revisit the start of this thread, there were a few good questions at the beginning (and one of mine as well) that may have been overlooked.

#45 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,335 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hi idiot --

This is gold. GOLD.

#46 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,547 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

This is gold. GOLD.

Comes with the territory. :)