Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Diary of a Hypochondriac Point Guard: The Clippers Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Since I'm the only fan that exist, I thought I'd start a thread about my beloved Clippers. Let's start with the good news. Gordon is a finalist to make the national team. If he makes it, I think he would be the only Clipper to ever make the US national team while still dawning the nation's colors. It could have been Christopher Kaman Islands but he wasted his national cap playing for Germany. Funny how it works out because he would have made this current team. Now onto what was an eventful offseason...

Essentially (by resigning Rhino and The Butler Did It) we brought back the same squad that was so successful last season....oh except our best PG last year took his white vans across the hall to play with Kobe. As for the rookies, I'm not too impressed with Al Thornton light we got in the lottery but Bledsoe seems good enough and he'll probably play a ton considering Baron will probably go on some sabbatical this year.

With no real significant signings, going into the season it's the "just add Blake" strategy. From watching him play last pre-season, I predict he'll make it to December before he starts racking up the DNPs. He's just too reckless. So that should put our win total somewhere between 20-30 depending on the color of Baron's mood ring before tip off every night.

Oh and Dumbleavy still can't get his money... Good luck with that buddy

The Los Angeles Clippers and their owner want to stop former head coach Mike Dunleavy from arbitrating his claim that the team still owes him $6.75 million of a five-year, $22 million contract.

And here's something to make you smile
Posted Image

You would think he'd get a new pair of dirty white sneakers..

#2 Sam Ray Not

• 1,027 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

going into the season it's the "just add Blake" strategy.

Hey, if it works for the Lakers...

#3 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,335 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Since I'm the only fan that exist, I thought I'd start a thread about my beloved Clippers. Let's start with the good news. Gordon is a finalist to make the national team. If he makes it, I think he would be the only Clipper to ever make the US national team while still dawning the nation's colors. It could have been Christopher Kaman Islands but he wasted his national cap playing for Germany. Funny how it works out because he would have made this current team. Now onto what was an eventful offseason...

Essentially (by resigning Rhino and The Butler Did It) we brought back the same squad that was so successful last season....oh except our best PG last year took his white vans across the hall to play with Kobe. As for the rookies, I'm not too impressed with Al Thornton light we got in the lottery but Bledsoe seems good enough and he'll probably play a ton considering Baron will probably go on some sabbatical this year.

With no real significant signings, going into the season it's the "just add Blake" strategy. From watching him play last pre-season, I predict he'll make it to December before he starts racking up the DNPs. He's just too reckless. So that should put our win total somewhere between 20-30 depending on the color of Baron's mood ring before tip off every night.

Oh and Dumbleavy still can't get his money... Good luck with that buddy

And here's something to make you smile
Posted Image

You would think he'd get a new pair of dirty white sneakers..

Um, you do know that Steve Blake signed with the Los Angeles LAKERS this offseason, right? They added Ryan Gomes and Randy Foye this offseason.

#4 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yes. See "our best pg last season left to go play with Kobe". That'd be Steve Blake.

#5 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,335 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Yes. See "our best pg last season left to go play with Kobe". That'd be Steve Blake.

My bad.

#6 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5,516 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

My bad.

In your defense Rocco, when he mentioned our best PG I had no idea who he was talking about. Steve Blake. Sheesh.

#7 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

In Rocco's defense, it was a rather confusing post to read. You're talking about the Clippers- no need to further confuse people with weird, made up nicknames!

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I remember hearing really good things about Blake Griffin in last year's summer league. The feeling was the Clippers finally nailed a draft pick. As a Laker hater, I hope it's true.

#8 fairlee76

• 1,603 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

The picture of Blake made my day. He is the Caucasian version of Lance Reddick, aka Lt. Daniels in The Wire, aka the Black Mantis.

Will be very interesting to see how Griffin does this season. Hopefully the Clipper curse that claimed Manning and so many others lets him be.

#9 lars10

• 2,005 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

i was confused by the 'just add blake' strategy and the fact that he was also talking about trading steve blake..but it makes sense now of course.

#10 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Banner day for the Clipp show. Gordon made the cut to represent us in Turkey. It may not seem like a big deal but good things like this don't happen to Clippers.

Oh and we got new jerseys
Posted Image

And my favorite point guard (/sarcasm) changed his number back to 5.

#11 teddykgb

• 3,653 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

If i were a clippers fan i'd want gordon, griffin, and anyone else deemed worthy to live in a bubble from may to november

at this point it wouldn't even be clever to point out the horrific injury or crazy international arrest that is inevitably in gordon's future

#12 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

Posted Image

I know everybody suddenly realized Eric Gordon was a good basketball player this summer but the real important thing was him experience a winning culture on a top level. Indiana was a disaster and we've been the same.

Hopefully he brings this experience and speaks up and becomes a leader. He already put Baron in his place a couple weeks ago

#13 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,588 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Last summer, I thought Blake Griffin was the best player to enter the NBA since LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, and that if he stayed healthy, he'd probably top out as no worse than a Carlos Boozer clone with a better mid-range game-- with a good chance he'd be better than that, maybe a lot better.

The big question, of course, is whether he'll fully regain his pre-injury form. Playing well in Summer League is obviously better than not playing well in Summer League, but it's not very telling-- against that level of competition, a player of Griffin's abilities should look good, even if he's rusty and not 100 percent physically. Clips fans will need to be patient-- even if Griffin fully regains his pre-injury form, the rust will keep him from having the kind of rookie season he might have had if he was healthy a year ago. And with that year of development forever lost, we probably need to ratchet down our projections for his upside-- again, even if he's fully healthy.

It will be hard to tell if he's 100 percent-- when he inevitably looks feeble some nights, we'll wonder if his knee is bothering him, if he's tentative because of the time away, or if he's just feeling the grind of his first 82-game season.

#14 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

Alright, can't let this die before the season starts. Here's a brief recap of the start of training camp and preseason. Krispy Kreme PG came into camp outta shape and injured himself. he played in his first preseason game last night and looked pretty decent...but the real reason for the update is...

and I do this fully knowing he will go down with an injury soon...

Blake Griffin is going to be scary good. Imagine Amare athleticism but with toughness and a desire to rebound. god, if u exist, damn world peace and homelessness, just let this kid stay healthy.

One more thing, I think the key to his game is him finally embracing the ginger jew fro.

Edited by ElUno20, 13 October 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#15 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Blake Griffin is going to be scary good. Imagine Amare athleticism but with toughness and a desire to rebound. god, if u exist, damn world peace and homelessness, just let this kid stay healthy.

One more thing, I think the key to his game is him finally embracing the ginger jew fro.

Come on, dude, take a stand. Which one is it???????

I kid, I kid. I hope he comes through and is the real deal. He's looking great so far and seems to have a great attitude. As a Celts fan in LA, I root for the Clip show to steal some spotlight from that other Staples Center basketball team.

#16 bosox79

• 1,815 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

He looks amazing so far. Definitely one of the top runners for ROY imo.

#17 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

From last night

I wish the team would stop throwing him lobs until the season starts. Some of the ones they've tried have been really risky.

#18 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

same. old. clippers.

0-2 start and the team is getting worse. looking at the schedule it will be an 0-6 start barring some miracle.

#19 Burt Reynoldz

• 1,859 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I'd just like to send a big "fuck you" to the Clippers for waiting until after my fantasy lineups had locked for the week before announcing that Baron Davis would be sitting out last night (and maybe other games this week) with some sort of phantom injury. Would have slotted in DeMarcus Cousins or something, thanks, dick.

#20 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Clipps get their first win of the year off a great performance by rookie (starting) point guard Eric Bledsoe and a dominant performance by Gordon. Bledsoe's energy and work ethic was a complete 360 from the piss poor shit efforts Baron has put out.

Now in full disclaimer, the Thunder played like complete shit and tried their hardest to break the backboards with missed jumpers. But in the words of Common, "for now I enjoy this moment in time".

I'd just like to send a big "fuck you" to the Clippers for waiting until after my fantasy lineups had locked for the week before announcing that Baron Davis would be sitting out last night (and maybe other games this week) with some sort of phantom injury. Would have slotted in DeMarcus Cousins or something, thanks, dick.

I'd bench or drop Baron if I were you. He's quit on the season 4 games in. His injury is complete shit and fabricated, it has more to do with his sensitive personality than any real injury. Baron is the king of the DNP BV, Did Not Play - Bruised Vagina. Tonight was his second of the year, many more to come.

#21 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,663 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:48 AM

Big win over the Hornets tonight. It's a treat to watch Blake Griffin play basketball and it would be a lot of fun to see the Clippers build a competitive team around this kid because he is already one of the most electrifying players in the entire league.

Organizationally, it seems like things might be turning around. Feel free to correct me on that Uno but I like where the team is headed. Gordon looks great and will only look better when his 3 pt shooting gets back in line. Aminu has put up double figures every time he's gotten 20+ minutes which is great given how raw he's supposed to be. It's early but he looks like a good pick and I'm not sure who would have been better in that slot. It was also pretty slick landing Bledsoe.

Things could really come together in 2012 when they'll have Minny's unprotected first rounder (Marko Jaric finally pays off!!!) plus their own (assuming it falls in the top 10) in what could be an awesome draft if the potential lockout scares underclassman away from declaring for this June. Kaman will be gone and Baron will be expiring if he isn't shipped out before then.

As an outside observer, I honestly think this team has a future as long as they ride out the current storm. Actual fans probably don't believe everything will work out but the current youth movement at least shows signs of a coherent direction for the team. They have two great young talents, two even younger super-athletic talents, no backbreaking contracts and none of those annoyingly long Andres Nocioni-type middling contracts. Obviously they're too raw and have too many crappy players on the team to consistently win games now and the Baron situation is a nuisance but it's really not all doom and gloom.

#22 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Fun game last night. Griffin really is a blast to watch, and does give a nice core with Gordon. Aminu could end up being a complementary piece with his outside shot. At the end of the day, even though Bledsoe is a pleasant surprise I think he's a very good back-up point guard -- nice value for that place in the draft, but not a replacement for needing a real point guard. Between he and Gordon being undersized, the Clips have real defensive problems in the backcourt. Actually they have defensive problems all over the place.

Kaman was awful before getting injured, wonder if he'll be decent when he's back. They'll win a few games if he plays as well as he has in previous years. Man is Deandre Jordan a stiff.

#23 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

yes. Blake is that good. yes it sucks he has to waste his next three years with us.

Fatboy came back last night and played, gasp, a spirited game with 10 assists in 20 minutes off the bench. it's really sad because it showed how dangerous these guys could be if he actually took his profession serious.

And "stiff" isn't a good description of DJ. he's one of the most athletic bigs in the league. he just has very little basketball talent other than dunking or jumping.

#24 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

yeah, didn't mean 'stiff' as in unathletic. just as in generic not good, not developing. had a good game the other day, though, so who knows.

but this:

http://thelakersnati...ourtside-seats/

is just too rich. a pox on both their houses, can't stand Baron Davis, either. But could Sterling be more of an embarrassment to himself? If this team was sold to Geffen or whomever, with another lottery pick coming this year, and Minny's the year after....there'd be talent and money, but nothing will change unless Sterling's out of there.

still: can't say he's wrong about Davis.

#25 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,300 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

Since Stern likes fining people for public displays of idiocy, or lack of decorum, why not fine Sterling for heckling?

#26 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

But could Sterling be more of an embarrassment to himself? If this team was sold to Geffen or whomever, with another lottery pick coming this year, and Minny's the year after....there'd be talent and money, but nothing will change unless Sterling's out of there.

still: can't say he's wrong about Davis.

Sterling likes to have a 1 star team. More than that cost to much. The difference between a 20 win team and a 40 win team in ticket sales is probably almost zero(they both suck).

Sterling needed Baron bc...well, why would people buy tickets? But with Blake looking good, Baron becomes expendable and will be traded.

#27 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

good luck trading that contract....

#28 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

as bad as it is, I know me(and a lot of clipp fans) really weren't that peeved about it. baron is every bad work ethic NBA stereotype. I hope he cries at night, the pansy.

#29 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

Deandre Jordan looks to be developing quite a bit, actually. Has been consistently solid for the last few weeks, and a monster game yesterday. The injury to Kaman and all the playing time that has flowed to Jordan has cost the team some wins, but maybe will end up being a benefit.

#30 jmcc5400

• 1,845 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I was going to post about DeAndre Jordan this morning too, which has got to be about as obscure as SoSH can get. The guy is so raw, but his athleticism is off the charts and he seems to have sound rebounding instincts. He and Blake looked like they were on trampolines last night. Gordon is the real deal and Baron is getting invested. They are definitely the more entertaining team in Los Angeles and I think they can make a run at .500/playoffs.

Edit: And then I looked at the standings. 11-24. .500/playoffs not happening. But they have a reasonable shot at 35-37 wins.

Edited by jmcc5400, 06 January 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#31 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, they're an amazingly fun duo to watch -- trampolines is a well chosen word. Definitely have the talent to be .500, but at this point they should hope for the lottery again and maybe add one more piece to the puzzle. Definitely need another scorer. Aminu showed some flashes and I know the SportsGuy compared him to Luol Deng. He's definitely faded after some good games early, though he is still at 44% from 3 point land.

This is the sort of club that needs to make a splash on the free agent market sooner rather than later. If they're not competitive by next year, then guys like Gordon will be on the first boat out of town once their deals expire.

#32 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

In case you guys miss ANYTHING...
someone started www.quakegriffin.com to keep you up to date on breathtaking Vanilla Gorilla, Biracial-Facial, Blake Griffin highlights.

#33 jmcc5400

• 1,845 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

Fantastic win tonight against Miami in a playoff atmosphere. The Clipper culture has changed. So much fun with Griffin, especially the dunk after the spat with Chalmers.

#34 Gravistar

• 299 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

Fantastic win tonight against Miami in a playoff atmosphere. The Clipper culture has changed. So much fun with Griffin, especially the dunk after the spat with Chalmers.

It was nice to see the Clips (and not the Heat) get the benefit of some questionable officiating. Davis took about six steps before passing to Griffin.

#35 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

best I've seen a clipper team play in a while. now rinse, wash, repeat for the lakers on Sunday.

#36 bosox79

• 1,815 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

8-3 in their last 11. Gordon and Griffin are 2 great players to build around and Jordan is looking like a defensive beast.

#37 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

the key was baron showing up with some fire. finally.

#38 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

If Davis plays with that fire, this is a playoff worthy team. Not a good playoff team and not a team -- given their poor start -- that will make the playoffs this year, but nonetheless a clear .500+ team which, for the Clippers, is remarkable.

#39 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

There is a deep rooted karmic, energy, etc.. force that will forever follow this team. It's a complete inability to sustain any positive energy for an extended period of time. It's truly incredible.

#40 jmcc5400

• 1,845 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

They're so young. It's a process. Games like last night's happen. They didn't do a great job defending the perimeter, but the W's shooting was preposterous. There were a few times where the Clips could have just packed it in, but clawed back to tie. Let's see what they do against the Lakers.

#41 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Before the season (when we all realized we were dealing with a ManBearPig) I hoped that in 1 of the 4 games vs. the lakers that Quake would catch somebody. LA Times special edition poster style. Tomorrow is try 2.

#42 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,717 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Having not seen many Clipper games this year, can anyone that has explain the minutes Ryan Gomes is getting? Every time I see a box score, it seems like he has played 30+ minutes and puts up brutal numbers. He is averaging 30 min/game this year and 35/game over the last 5. Say what you want about PER, but I don't think its possible to be a decent offensive player and put up the 8.75 PER Gomes has so far this year. He's approaching Scalabrine levels of suck.

The guy is statistically one of the worst starters in the league, and probably should be a 12th man. Has he turned into a Bruce Bowen-like defensive stopper overnight? Is there just a lack of other decent options? Is Del Negro just asleep at the wheel?

#43 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

There is a deep rooted karmic, energy, etc.. force that will forever follow this team. It's a complete inability to sustain any positive energy for an extended period of time. It's truly incredible.

And it is named 'Donald Sterling'.

#44 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

And it is named 'Donald Sterling'.

yep, that's my response, as well. Geffen buys the team last year and all would be optimistic for the future.

In re Gomes, they're just not good at that position. When he was injured Aminu got those minutes and had some flashes, but clearly is green. Gomes is decent defensively but is, basically, just a placeholder. It'll be interesting to see if Aminu takes minutes back as the season moves on. Right now he's in a 3-pointing shooting slump, but he does seem to be doing a lot right rebounding and defensively.

#45 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,929 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

yep, that's my response, as well. Geffen buys the team last year and all would be optimistic for the future.

In re Gomes, they're just not good at that position. When he was injured Aminu got those minutes and had some flashes, but clearly is green. Gomes is decent defensively but is, basically, just a placeholder. It'll be interesting to see if Aminu takes minutes back as the season moves on. Right now he's in a 3-pointing shooting slump, but he does seem to be doing a lot right rebounding and defensively.

Simmons chimes in with his solution: Carmelo Anthony.

http://sports.espn.g...13&sportCat=nba

Will never happen, I assume because of Sterling, but there is logic there.

#46 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Blake puts in another monster game. 47 and 14, mainly due to his jump shot being on. The kid is amazing.

Former celtic guarded him for late stretches of the game and of course...tried to start a fight by getting chippy.

#47 Gravistar

• 299 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

Blake puts in another monster game. 47 and 14, mainly due to his jump shot being on. The kid is amazing.

Former celtic guarded him for late stretches of the game and of course...tried to start a fight by getting chippy.

If we made a list of the prettiest moves in the NBA now, where does Griffin's spin move rank? I honestly can't think of any move that's as pretty, as smooth, but I could be forgetting something.

#48 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

Oh, man. Don't take offense to me resurfacing this, but it's awesome. Please embrace it and be willing to look back and laugh at it. Understand, this is coming from someone who vehemently argued w a co-worker that Ryan Leaf would be a better #1 pick than Peyton Manning. I really hated that co-worker so I picked that fight out of spite, but I still look back and think it's hilarious.

Why do I bring this up today? It's because I went to the Clippers game last night and just kept shaking my head in amazement regarding Blake Griffin. The dude is incredible. And it started before tip-off. During the national anthem, all the players were understandably fidgety, bouncing back and forth, looking around- except for one guy who stuck out like a sore thumb. Blake Griffin. This guy has his right hand over his heart, looking at the ceremony, AND HE'S SINGING THE SONG. The young man has class.

Once the game started, forget it. He is a leader. His court awareness is amazing, and it's so refreshing to see a guy who is the first one to apologize for his mistakes. One comedic moment occurred when Charlotte was called for a 3 second violation. Blake thought it was called against him and started pleading his case to the official and acted out his case. The ref stared at him until Baron Davis yelled, "Yo, it's against them, man". Blake smiled embarrassingly and apologized to the official. Pretty funny. And his game? The guy's missed dunks are replay worthy at Staples.

His best play of the game wasn't even a dunk:

As a New Englander living in LA, I understand it can be tough for West Coast teams/athletes to get the same attention as EST teams/athletes. But if you haven't had the chance or made the effort, go out of your way and watch yourself some Blake Griffin. Barring injury, the guy is a perennial All-Star, and then some. Wow.

When do we start the Blake Griffin thread?

#49 ElUno20

• 1,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

You're bring up pessimism from a die hard Clipper fan over a star player staying healthy? Seriously? Really? It's the clippers. I saw Shaun Livingston, who had Jason Kidd/Lebron/Magic Johnson like court vision, turn his entire lower leg clock-wise on a basic, uncontested layup. Excuse me for not getting my hopes up before the season started. Blake is unreal but to be real about the team, they're just not very good. Too many holes, specifically defense and composure on the road.

#50 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

You're bring up pessimism from a die hard Clipper fan over a star player staying healthy? Seriously? Really? It's the clippers. I saw Shaun Livingston, who had Jason Kidd/Lebron/Magic Johnson like court vision, turn his entire lower leg clock-wise on a basic, uncontested layup. Excuse me for not getting my hopes up before the season started. Blake is unreal but to be real about the team, they're just not very good. Too many holes, specifically defense and composure on the road.

Umm, deep breaths, dude. Re-read my post. I ain't giving you a hard time. You have a truly special player on your team and yet you get your panties in a bunch because I praise his talents? Relax and enjoy, my friend.

I probably watch 75% of the Clippers games. They are a better team than you think. They do have talent on the team. Question I have is, what do you do with Kaman? And what would you take in return?

BTW, DeAndre Jordan looks A LOT bigger in person. And Donald Sterling looks like even more of an ass than everyone already thinks he is.