Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Sports Hub vs. WEEI - Why?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Phenom

• as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby

• 976 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Interesting question...

Today's show has Neumie and Bob Ryan hosting. What are you listening to? This, or Toucher and Rich?

If you're listening to Neumie and Ryan (like I am), but usually listen to Toucher and Rich instead of Dennis and Callahan (like I do), then why do you listen to T&R? Is it because you're so in love with the show, or is it mostly because they're not D&C? I do enjoy a lot of what Toucher and Rich do, but I think the first and foremost reason I listen to them most of the time is that they're not D&C.

#2 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2747 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

This past Fri. and Sat., I was back in Boston for the first time since a weekend in early May. I tried both on Fri., but I stuck with the Sports Hub because it wasn't D&C.

#3 teddykgb

• 3560 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Neumie and Ryan was not good radio this morning. They spent 20 f'n minutes on sports memoribilia discussion. Neumie has gone off the deep end, his mind is so scatterbrained that it makes the show impossible to listen to at times when he goes into his 'i'm just wondering' tangents. He makes big deals out of small things and then plays devil's advocate over them. It's just awkward. Ryan is ok and maybe even good on radio, but I tuned into them during T+R commercials and probably liked them less than even D+C. I think a major point of being on the radio, especially for long periods of time, is knowing what is interesting to the listenership and what isn't, and at this point, given his recent appearances on TSH and WEEI, I think Neumie has completely lost that sense for whatever reason. This is the same stuff that makes a Buckley hosted show bad, or god forbid a Tanguay or Stearns hosted show...they focus on the wrong things and make big deals out of small deals while not provoking thought in any way on other issues.

#4 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22339 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

I listened to a bunch of DA, who filled in for T&R last Friday morning, and he was pretty good, but I knew that from listening to him at night.

D&C suck, though, and I wouldn't listen to them no matter who was on Sports Hub.

#5 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2158 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

I've been a T&R fan for awhile now, so I go back and forth between them and O&A on XM. I preferred T&R before the sports switch, but they're still excellent and far superior to that which WEEI offers in the mornings.

#6 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17197 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

I listen Toucher and Rich because they're funny and take the miserably soul sucking edge off of getting up at 7am to go to a job I dont wanna do.

#7 Phenom

• 976 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

I figured I would bump this thread and do a little comparison between the stations since this week will be “The Sports Hub’s” 1-year anniversy.

Here are some questions that you can feel free to answer/expand on. These are just here to get the conversation going.

Has “The Sports Hub” been a good thing for this market?

Without a doubt. I haven’t heard Larry Johnson’s voice in a year.

The Bruins matter again. Their improved play over the past 3 years obviously plays a huge role in that, but the fact that they have a sports radio home which pushes them has to be a major plus in their favor.

And lastly, competition is always better for everyone. WEEI is far from flawless, but at the very least they’ve improved some minor things since 98.5 came aboard (Sox back on 850 AM, much shorter commercial breaks).

Has “The Sports Hub” surpassed programming expectations?

This is where I think we’ll have some debate. For me, it’s a definite yes.

If you read my thoughts and the thoughts of many others at this time last year, most couldn’t foresee tuning away from EEI regularly. I wasn’t exposed to “Toucher and Rich” on WBCN, so I wasn’t sure how much I would like them. I thought “Tanguay and Zolak” would be the worst sports talk show on the planet (I was right), and I wasn’t sure what to expect of “Felger and Mazz,” even though I was a big Felger fan. We all thought DA would be better than Mike Adams…but that isn’t really saying much.

Morning: I am a huge “Toucher and Rich” fan. There are times when I do wish the sports talk was a little deeper, and I will admit I still occasionally check out D&C. Not because I’m in love with them, but because I may hear a really good interview and there’s a small chance that Callahan is actually talking about sports (I don’t agree with a lot he says, but I personally think Callahan is a very good sports columnist/sports personality).

However, T+R are hilarious and make that morning commute so much easier. Most importantly, talk radio should be entertaining, and I am always entertained when listening. Plus, they brought “Naughty Mazz” into my life. Undoubtedly the best bit on sports talk radio in years.

Midday: “Tanguay and Zolak” was the worst show on the planet, and “GRESH and Zo” isn’t too far behind. I can’t really offer much more, as I avoid GRESH like the plague…but yeah.

“Dale and Holley” isn’t the best show on the planet. But it’s the best show on EEI’s regular schedule. At times it’s a little stale, and Dale really grates on me sometimes. But if you’re looking for coherent sports talk with good interviews, this is where you’re going to find it. It just lacks a little on the entertainment side.

Afternoon: “The Big Show” needs a format change. They’ve had the same theme song, the same whiner line callers, and the same poorly produced “bits” for over a decade. When Pete left, I thought that was the time to go in a different direction.

From the late 90’s-2004, this was an angry market. 3-4 guys yelling at each other and making fun of each other jived with the market. But then there became less to be angry about. The co-hosts became less interesting. I like Rob Bradford, but you can’t make many “bits” about him.

Ordway, Smerlas, and Stearns won’t cut it from 2-6 anymore. As mentioned in the Lou Merloni thread, I don’t think we’re far away from seeing Lou becoming a regular co-host with Glenn.

Okay…we’ve had a lot to say about “Felger and Mazz” recently, but taking the whole year into account, they’ve been the best surprise. From September-March, I really hadn’t been as regularly entertained by a sports talk radio show in a long time. Does Felger have a definite schtick? Yes. But I was entertained by it. And again, entertainment is the most important thing.

But since April, I will admit the show has become a bit of a parody of itself. This is more directed at Mazz than Felger. Massarotti is a decent 2nd fiddle, but he really adds nothing to show except comments about the cheap Red Sox, not signing Jason Bay, and of course missing out on Teixeira. When he’s put in the host chair, as he has been this summer, you really see his flaws.

But for example, when Felger came back this Friday, I once again enjoyed the program. It’s clearly Felger’s show, and I think whether you like it or not comes back to whether you like Felger or not. I do, and I don’t think anybody understands this market better than he does right now, so I’m still a fan. But if you don’t like him, I can see why you wouldn’t like the show.

Nights/weekends: I don’t really listen to sports talk at night, but DA obviously blows doors on Mike. I think what’s most impressive about DA is the effort he’s made to ingratiate himself into this market. He clearly does his homework, and that shouldn’t be ignored.

Weekends are a toss-up. Hardy and Trupiano blows, but I actually like Dan Shaughnessy’s show. Shaughnessy is much less venomous on radio than in print.

Saturday and Sunday mornings on EEI are great with the baseball shows.

So there you have it…I know I’m a dweeb for putting too much thought into this, but regardless, it’s fun to talk about because “The Sports Hub” is here to stay. That’s for sure.

#8 BigJimEd

• 1772 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

Has "The Sports Hub" been a good thing for this market?
I don't see how anyone outside a WEEI employee can say otherwise.

Has "The Sports Hub" surpassed programming expectations?
A lot depends on your "expectations" I guess. From CBS perspective, I'd have to say a resounding yes. My thoughts:

Morning:
Only listened to T&R a couple times when they were on BCN. They are better than I expected and have grown on me some. First few times I listened I thought "eh, pretty funny but will probably get old fast". I enjoy it now more than then though. Almost never turn to EEI in the morning but I rarely did before either.

Midday: Gave up on Zolak and crappy side-kick. Often the radio is already on 98.5 but I rarely last more than 3-4 minutes of listening to them. Most of the time the channel is changed within 30 seconds. Dale and Holley aren't great but they're solid and a much better option, imo.

Afternoon: Not a Felger and Mazz fan. I'll still listen occasionally these days but the show sounds like a broken record. I know people on here love Felger but, imo, Felger is just another ill-informed, run of the mill guy who turns to troll radio way too often. He does do a good interview though.
Mazz is Mazz, a fill-in guy that is ok when he's on the radio with several other guest co-hosts. He's not suited to be a full time host.
The Big Show- I don't listen very often. Ordway is a good facilitator but needs good co-hosts which is something he rarely has.

Nights: DA: I also don't listen too often at night. DA sounds ok to me, nothing great but certainly much better than the alternative.

#9 SteveCrawford

• 304 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Nights: DA: I also don't listen too often at night. DA sounds ok to me, nothing great but certainly much better than the alternative.

DA also fills in on WFAN on Sunday afternoons in July and August. Listened to him destroy the Mets on drive from Cape Sunday instead of Mustard and Johnson drivel.

#10 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

I'm not sure Ordway is a good host. It's too much about him in there and his bitter rantings about Little League baseball (WGAS?) and backhanded comments about Ellsbury being a pussy. Browne and McAdam are the two strongest co-hosts one can have,but it's telling that when Butch Stearns (BUTCH STEARNS) filled in for Ordway the show was better, because Stearns shut the fuck up, played facilitator, and didn't try and be controversial.

Ordway is the number one thing holding that show back.

#11 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22339 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'm not sure Ordway is a good host. It's too much about him in there and his bitter rantings about Little League baseball (WGAS?) and backhanded comments about Ellsbury being a pussy. Browne and McAdam are the two strongest co-hosts one can have,but it's telling that when Butch Stearns (BUTCH STEARNS) filled in for Ordway the show was better, because Stearns shut the fuck up, played facilitator, and didn't try and be controversial.

Ordway is the number one thing holding that show back.

that's like saying Kevin cash isn't a good Major League catcher.

#12 Phenom

• 976 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

These two contrasts tell you almost everything you need to know about EEI vs. "The Sports Hub:"

Yesterday Felger went on a hilarious 2 hour rant about Steven Slater, airlines, and everything in between. I was laughing hysterically the whole time. While the topic de jour on "The Big Show" was how kids "don't play baseball until sunset in sandlots like they used to."

Today it was "Toucher and Rich" ragging on Wallach and doing what they do. I flip over to 850, and hear Bob Ryan talking about CBS' prime time lineup in 1960! It also featured creepy old men calling in and singing their favorite show tunes from the era.

Good lord...

#13 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5835 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Has "The Sports Hub" been a good thing for this market?
I gave up sports radio, except for Dale and Holley, about 3-4 years ago. I listen to 98.5 constantly now. I used to listen to music 95% of the time in the car, now its 90% sports radio. Thank god I'm not in the car from 10-2 though.

Has "The Sports Hub" surpassed programming expectations?

Morning: Listened to Toucher and Rich quite a bit over the last few years. It sucks that Crash left due to not wanting talk more sports. At 6-6:20 in the morning I'm not looking for indepth sports talk so their "normal fan" approach is fine. Them ragging on Papelbon for a few minutes on my way to work has been worth a few laughs.

Midday: Ugh. Unlistenable. Even Troupe and Hardy were ragging on Zolak today.

Afternoon: I love Felger and Mazz. I didn't really like either one going into this either. Sure they harp on the same points a lot but I find it entertaining.

Nights: I really really like DA. It's nice to actually have some good hockey talk on once in a awhile. I like the format since its a nice break from the two guys bantering all day. I usually hate one person hosted shows, but I really think DA does a greatjob.