Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Red Sox sign another Cuban, Juan Carlos Linares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Posted Image
https://playersofelb...ares-la-habana/

If you are a Cuban free agent, Theo apparently wants you this year. Linares is a Cuban gold glove outfielder with power. Baseball America reported the signing.

Edited by SoxScout, 19 July 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

He turned 26 years old last week.

Linares produced at a .345/.467/.586 rate in 2006-2007 with 16 home runs and 65 walks. He led the league in slugging (over Alexei Ramírez) and tied Alfredo Despaigne for fifth in home runs, four behind Ramírez. He was tied for 6th in doubles (23), 6th in RBI, 4th in walks, 3rd in strikeouts (64), tied for 9th with Yulieski Gourriel in average and tied for second in total bases (187, even with Gourriel and behind Alexei Ramírez).

Linares hit .308/.438/.536 in 2007-2008 and won a Gold Glove in the outfield. His 66 strikeouts were third in the league and he tied Alexander Mayeta for fourth in intentional walks (16). In 2008-2009, his batting line was .325/.430/.588 with 63 RBI in 68 games. He fielded .988 and won another Gold Glove, but did not finish among the league leaders in anything (presumably in part due to his limited playing time).

Linares was put on Cuba's list of 58 candidates for the 2009 Baseball World Cup. He did not make the final cut and left Cuba shortly thereafter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Juan_Carlos_Linares_%2802%29

cubanballplayers.com (sadly, shut down this month) had him as the 8th best Cuban prospect this past offseason.

Edited by SoxScout, 19 July 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Bigpupp

• 836 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

Speaking of Cuban players, and not to derail the thread but I don't know where else to ask, why haven't we heard anything more on Yuniesky Maya?

#4 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Son hombres sinceros, de donde crece la palma...

The Japanese influx seems to have ebbed, now that Matsuzaka is struggling, Okajima has reverted to mediocrity, and Tazawa is on the Tommy John shelf. Cuba is the next island nation in sight. Theo must be making the best of the Iglesias-Ibarra-Linares buzz.

At the very least, we don't hear about him throwing chairs anymore.

#5 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,517 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Listed at 5'9", 214. Looks a little round in the picture, not exactly what you expect a gold-glove OF to look like.

Might be fun to watch this guy run around in the OF, sounds like he's built like a Cuban cigar. He's RH, which is nice if he hits for power and becomes a prospect. Most of our top OF prospects seem to be LH.

#6 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,687 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Any expectations on where Linares will report to? Portland?

#7 buzzard21

• 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Listed at 5'9", 214. Looks a little round in the picture, not exactly what you expect a gold-glove OF to look like.

Might be fun to watch this guy run around in the OF, sounds like he's built like a Cuban cigar. He's RH, which is nice if he hits for power and becomes a prospect. Most of our top OF prospects seem to be LH.

Here is another photo from the Havana times site. Not exactly thin but definitely not Cecil Fielder either.

Posted Image

#8 osjamiriz

• 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hi this is my first post here in this website. I was happy enough when i found out that Juan Carlos signed with the Red Sox.

I will like to say that Juan Ca. is a outstanding ballplayer. Born in 1984( this is proved) Juan Ca. plays a gold glove CF but is also a great pitcher having the saves record for a rookie in Cuba. He used to be the cleanup hitter in the same junior national team that had Kendry Morales in 2001. Even though he is 5'9 his body is pretty strong and is a very intelligent and fast runner.

Let's see for how much they got him but i don't think that will be for more than 1 M.

#9 Puffy

• 1,103 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi this is my first post here in this website. I was happy enough when i found out that Juan Carlos signed with the Red Sox.

I will like to say that Juan Ca. is a outstanding ballplayer. Born in 1984( this is proved) Juan Ca. plays a gold glove CF but is also a great pitcher having the saves record for a rookie in Cuba. He used to be the cleanup hitter in the same junior national team that had Kendry Morales in 2001. Even though he is 5'9 his body is pretty strong and is a very intelligent and fast runner.

Let's see for how much they got him but i don't think that will be for more than 1 M.

Thanks for the insights and welcome to SoSH.

I understand he won a Cuban "Gold Glove" - but I wonder if that really is very informative about his defense. Based on his body shape and the pictures I have seen, he looks like a small Benny Agbayani to me. How's his throwing arm?

(or: Do they have UZR in Cuba?)

#10 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 27,067 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Speaking of Cuban players, and not to derail the thread but I don't know where else to ask, why haven't we heard anything more on Yuniesky Maya?

The Nationals reached a preliminary agreement with Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya for an undisclosed amount, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes (Spanish link). Rojas' source says Maya will undergo a physical next week in Washington. The 28-year-old also drew interest from the Red Sox, Indians, Phillies, Blue Jays, Mets, Yankees and others.

#11 Wake's knuckle

• 457 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

If you are a Cuban free agent, Theo apparently wants you this year. Linares is a Cuban gold glove outfielder with power. Baseball America reported the signing.

Apparently, the number crunchers in the front office have realized that the Cuban players who crossed over recently have done fairly well, while the Japanese players have tended to be disappointments -- the Cuban players are evidently a better value. Sign away!

#12 osjamiriz

• 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the insights and welcome to SoSH.

I understand he won a Cuban "Gold Glove" - but I wonder if that really is very informative about his defense. Based on his body shape and the pictures I have seen, he looks like a small Benny Agbayani to me. How's his throwing arm?

(or: Do they have UZR in Cuba?)

Well being honest obviously they don't have UZR in Cuba, they don't even take OBP importantly.
Juan Carlos has a great range for a CF and let's say "instincts" that help him to be one step ahead of the game. As you said he may look a little bit overweight but at least back in Cuba it wasnt "Benny Agbayani" he was more muscle. Now all i'm saying was from one year ago when he was playing i can't talk about his body status right now . You have to consider that every cuban after getting out of there gains a few pound (own experience) Ask Dayan Viciedo about it. This kid is over 280 pounds right now after being 210 in Cuba.

Thanks for the Welcome and I hope to stick around.
PD: Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes, i have been using English for not to long.

Edited by osjamiriz, 21 July 2010 - 06:55 AM.

#13 Puffy

• 1,103 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes

Your firsts two posts here have been coherent and very relevant. Your insights into Cuban baseball are welcome in my book.