Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Android Apps Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
397 replies to this topic

#351 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,903 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

From the source

i guess part of my question is, am I stupid to install something directly from the internet on my phone with all my personal information on it?

#352 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,692 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

Was hoping someone could guide me with regard to mobile view versus normal. I have the Acer Iconia and today a couple of news websites I check are giving me mobile view with no option to switch to normal. I found info about typing about:debug in the address bar and that adds an area where you are supposed to be able to manage the view but I don't know what to click to make all websites show the normal view instead of mobile.

Any direction would be apprediated.

#353 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,126 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Was hoping someone could guide me with regard to mobile view versus normal. I have the Acer Iconia and today a couple of news websites I check are giving me mobile view with no option to switch to normal. I found info about typing about:debug in the address bar and that adds an area where you are supposed to be able to manage the view but I don't know what to click to make all websites show the normal view instead of mobile.

Any direction would be apprediated.

I don't know the specifics for the Iconia, but you need to adjust your browser settings. Look for something called "User Agent" and set it to Desktop. In Dolphin HD browser it can be found at Settings>Dolphin Settings>User Agent.

Edit - I guess the first question is what browser are you using?

Edited by jayhoz, 17 November 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#354 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,067 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Haven't had any updates to this in a while. With ICS out there and 4G usage on the rise, what are some of your new favorites apps, or stuff you use for day to day activities?

Example: I've used Launcher Pro forever, but Corsi loves GO Launcher, and I'm going to check that out on my creamy new RAZR MAXX goodness.

What web browser is everybody using? Dolphin Mini, stock Browser, or is there something greater and later I should be trying?

#355 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,166 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Dolphin HD.

Splashtop is pretty cool. Let's you remote into your PC via wifi.

#356 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,004 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Haven't had any updates to this in a while. With ICS out there and 4G usage on the rise, what are some of your new favorites apps, or stuff you use for day to day activities?

Example: I've used Launcher Pro forever, but Corsi loves GO Launcher, and I'm going to check that out on my creamy new RAZR MAXX goodness.

What web browser is everybody using? Dolphin Mini, stock Browser, or is there something greater and later I should be trying?

Some others off the top of my head..

TweetDeck for twitter. It's just very clean looking. I wish they had a scrollable widget though.

BuzzLock keeps the phone in vibrate at all times, which I find useful.

Data Enabler widget. Allows you to turn off data connection completely. I use it when I'm sitting at my desk with gmail open anyway, so no need to have data on.

Light Flow. Allows you to adjust the color of the LED notification light for email, mms, sms, missed call, etc.

Widget Locker. A bunch of options for customizing the lock screen. I know GO Launcher has a Go Locket app, but I haven't used it.

Call Confirm. Pops up a notification "Do you want to call X?" after you click someone's name in your phonebook. Prevents accidentally dialing someone.

Smart Actions. I believe this is strictly a Motorola app. It's basically an intuitive version of Tasker.

#357 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Twidroyd (or UberSocial or whatever the hell they call it now) is starting to suck. Any consensus on the best Android Twitter client? What else is out there besides TweetDeck (which I haven't tried yet on mobile- only PC)

#358 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3,580 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

I've been using TweetCaster, and like it way better than TweetDeck. Simple to use, and I haven't had any glitches w/ it in the few months I've had it.

#359 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,166 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Twidroyd (or UberSocial or whatever the hell they call it now) is starting to suck. Any consensus on the best Android Twitter client? What else is out there besides TweetDeck (which I haven't tried yet on mobile- only PC)

I second Tweetcaster. Worth the few bucks for the pro version imo as that gets rid of the ads. I've tried a ton of them and this the best one by far imo.

#360 TallerThanPedroia

• Civilly Disobedient

• 8,896 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

twicca, baby. twicca.

#361 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,009 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

I've been using TweetCaster, and like it way better than TweetDeck. Simple to use, and I haven't had any glitches w/ it in the few months I've had it.

I second Tweetcaster. Worth the few bucks for the pro version imo as that gets rid of the ads. I've tried a ton of them and this the best one by far imo.

I started with Tweetdeck, morphed to Plume (formerly Touiteur), and once I got Tweetcaster have never strayed.

#362 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,009 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Any of you who use Box.com for cloud storage - from now until March 23 if you install Box to your Android phone you'll get 50 GB of storage free for life:

1. Visit the Android Marketplace and download Box for Android
2. Log into your account or register for a new one directly from the app

#363 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,166 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Whoa. So in.

Thanks for posting that.

#364 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,276 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

dittos -

#365 Fisks Of Fury

• 308 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Any of you who use Box.com for cloud storage - from now until March 23 if you install Box to your Android phone you'll get 50 GB of storage free for life:

They did something like this a while ago with the iOS app too. Unfortunately, they're clever enough to not let me double up on it now and get 100GB on my account.

Of course, I DO have more than one email address...

#366 jayhoz

• 12,126 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, no double dipping for me either. I got 50mb free with my HP Touchpad.

#367 RetractableRoof

• 815 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the box heads up... I now have a great place to store my eBooks... Keep them there and now I can bring them too my phone/tablet as I want them.

#368 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Is tune-in radio no longer available?

#369 jayhoz

• 12,126 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Still there

https://market.andro...d=tunein.player

#370 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

thanks - its not showing up when I do a search on my nook tab (not compatible apparently)

Edited by kneemoe, 24 February 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#371 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have it on my nook color. Do you have the new nook tablet or an older rooted nook color?

#372 Corsi

• 10,004 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Still there

https://market.andro...d=tunein.player

Didn't they remove a ton of stations though?

#373 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have it on my nook color. Do you have the new nook tablet or an older rooted nook color?

Its a rooted 16G NT, I like it quite a bit but I'm still getting used to Android.
I'm also looking for suggestions on a (google)feed reader. Currently using gReader, I like that better than google's in-house app. Started playing with GoodNews today and that would be perfect but for the fact that I can't seem to manage feeds (sub/unsubscribe) and though it plays audio and does text well it fails to play video or open a new app for video podcasts.... there has to be an app out there that will play audio and video podcasts as well as allowing me to read other news/RSS feeds all in one window/app... right? gReader + Listen is the closest I've come so far...

#374 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I've got a rooted nook color running CM 7.1.0. I don't know if this applies to you or not with the tablet, but here is the tweak I found out I had to apply to get the device recognized properly in the market:

Probably way late to the party here (as usual), but I just discovered a little tweak that helps the device get recognized in the market. Certain apps (like facebook, netflix, words with friends) recently (as in maybe a month or more ago) no longer recognized the device and wouldn't update. Going into build.prop and changing the resolution from 161 to 160 fixes this. You have to clear the market cache and reboot and then everything works normally again.

#375 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tip but I don't think that will help, I don't seem to have a single resolution line, rather a few that specify Hdpi, Vdpi as well as height/width pixels.
I have yet to toy with alternative ROMs... though I've been trying to keep up on the dev status of ICS at XDA, I'll admit I haven't checked in at least a week.

#376 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure I found that tip somewhere on the XDA forums. Searching there might help.

#377 Jody Reed's 1988 Mustache

• 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Its a rooted 16G NT, I like it quite a bit but I'm still getting used to Android.
I'm also looking for suggestions on a (google)feed reader. Currently using gReader, I like that better than google's in-house app. Started playing with GoodNews today and that would be perfect but for the fact that I can't seem to manage feeds (sub/unsubscribe) and though it plays audio and does text well it fails to play video or open a new app for video podcasts.... there has to be an app out there that will play audio and video podcasts as well as allowing me to read other news/RSS feeds all in one window/app... right? gReader + Listen is the closest I've come so far...

Feedly is the best google feed reader I've been able to find. Manages multiple feeds and will play audio/video without an issue on my Droid X. Though it launches video into your default media player. Not sure about podcasts specifically.

https://market.andro...hd.feedly&hl=en

#378 deconstruction

• 3,074 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Poweramp's only $1.99 today. Down from $4.99. In my opinion, it's the best music player for Android.

#379 InstantKarmma

• Defender of Roadrunners

• 5,736 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Paper Camera is $0.25 today in the Android Market (now Google Play).

#380 PortlandSoxFan

• Father of Idontgiveafuckism

• 5,853 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

March Madness app:

txt 0yourteamhere to 2653 and get a code to use the android/iphone app free to stream all games. (0uconn for example)

#381 Corsi

• 10,004 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

March Madness app:

txt 0yourteamhere to 2653 and get a code to use the android/iphone app free to stream all games. (0uconn for example)

Sweet deal. Thanks for this! The March Madness App is $3.99 otherwise.

#382 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,166 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

"Draw Some" is 100x more addicting than Words with Friends. It's basically Pictionary with Friends.

#383 Corsi

• 10,004 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

FoxFi

Enables WiFi or Bluetooth Hotspot on your Android phone without a Hotspot plan from your carrier. No rooting required! Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung phones and Motorola phones, LG Optimus/Vortex/Ally, ZTE N762, HuaWei Comet. WiFi mode does NOT work on any HTC phones or the first Motorola Droid/Triumph, use Bluetooth mode instead.
You can connect from any tablets or computers. Access Point is infrastructure mode with WPA2 security. FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have.

Got a feeling this may be pulled from the market soon...

#384 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,166 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

FoxFi

Got a feeling this may be pulled from the market soon...

Good call Corsi.

Works great on my Nexus. Just had my coworker connect to me with his iPhone and it flew.

#385 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

March Madness app:

All I got back was "Reply w/ DOB to opt in to alerts for ways to win wiht CokeZero around NCAA March Madness"

#386 Corsi

• 10,004 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

All I got back was "Reply w/ DOB to opt in to alerts for ways to win wiht CokeZero around NCAA March Madness"

I received that as well, but prior to that, I received a text with a unique code that I had to enter at ncaa.com/cokezero in order to download the app for free.

#387 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4,490 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, FoxFi is working well for me too. Very nice

#388 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I received that as well, but prior to that, I received a text with a unique code that I had to enter at ncaa.com/cokezero in order to download the app for free.

Ah, I see it now. Didn't realize I got two back in rapid succession. Thanks.

#389 vintage'67

• 203 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

March Madness app:

wow, too bad, it says it's not compatable with my Galaxy Nexus

#390 Bunt4aTriple

• 397 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

If anyone else is unhappy with their stock gingerbread camera, Camera ICS + is great. https://play.google....ljc3BsdXMiXQ..
It's the stock Ice Cream Sandwich camera stripped out. There's a free version, but this one is only 99 cents. I had two issues with the Droid 3, one with the screen going black, the other where I was unable to scroll through my gallery after previewing an image, and both times, the developer fixed it within a day and sent me a beta version.

#391 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,859 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

So, recently I have noticed that I have duplicate contacts for all of my new facebook friends. I know I know I am very popular. But this isn't just a humblebrag, it's an annoyance since I now have a separate contact with facebook info and a google contact with email/phone, etc. Obviously this is not a big deal but I kind of liked having FB profile pics show up when I got calls, texts, etc. And of course it makes my contact list look stupid. The biggest problem of all is that I have no way of manually merging them - I can't link facebook to the google contact, and I can't add telephone, etc. to a facebook contact.

Anyone have a good app for merging these (Droid X running Gingerbread), since it is apparently google being bitchy with facebook about the way the data is created and stored? (or, more to the point, likely a result of them trying to push google+)

#392 OrlandoMerced

• 188 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

So, recently I have noticed that I have duplicate contacts for all of my new facebook friends. I know I know I am very popular. But this isn't just a humblebrag, it's an annoyance since I now have a separate contact with facebook info and a google contact with email/phone, etc. Obviously this is not a big deal but I kind of liked having FB profile pics show up when I got calls, texts, etc. And of course it makes my contact list look stupid. The biggest problem of all is that I have no way of manually merging them - I can't link facebook to the google contact, and I can't add telephone, etc. to a facebook contact.

Anyone have a good app for merging these (Droid X running Gingerbread), since it is apparently google being bitchy with facebook about the way the data is created and stored? (or, more to the point, likely a result of them trying to push google+)

Do these contacts show up in gmail also or only on your phone? If they are in gmail, the web ui for "Find and Merge Duplicates" works fairly well, and then the merges should sync back to your phone from there.

#393 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,859 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

That's a good suggestion, but the problem is the sync to the phone. It seems that it is basically because google and facebook are having a hissyfit. It's pretty fucking stupid if you ask me but I'm sure some executive feels pretty good about the decision.

#394 HillysLastWalk

• 3,882 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Is there an app I can use that allows me to make all my calls (incoming/outgoing) through WiFi (if I'm near one) ... AND ... through my Data plan if I'm not near WiFi? I have one other requirement, the other person *doesn't* have to have that app installed. So, sort of like the VoIP phone I have as a land line. It uses the "internet" always.

I have unlimited voice now (Wal-Mart Family Mobile). But, if I have an app like that, I can switch to the new $30/month plan where you get 100 minutes of voice and unlimited text and data (at 4G speeds). With that type of app I'd never use any minutes. Just text/data.

Thanks!

Edited by HillysLastWalk, 22 June 2012 - 05:06 AM.

#395 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,843 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Is there an app I can use that allows me to make all my calls (incoming/outgoing) through WiFi (if I'm near one) ... AND ... through my Data plan if I'm not near WiFi? I have one other requirement, the other person *doesn't* have to have that app installed. So, sort of like the VoIP phone I have as a land line. It uses the "internet" always.

Not sure about the data plan part, but try Sidecar for starters and play around with it.

#396 HillysLastWalk

• 3,882 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Not sure about the data plan part, but try Sidecar for starters and play around with it.

Awesome, I'll take a look. I'm googling now and just found MobileVOIP. https://play.google....obileVoip&hl=en ... I haven't determined yet if the other person needs the app, but it looks like it operates over WiFi and 3G.

Edited by HillysLastWalk, 21 June 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#397 HillysLastWalk

• 3,882 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Awesome, I'll take a look. I'm googling now and just found MobileVOIP. https://play.google....obileVoip&hl=en ... I haven't determined yet if the other person needs the app, but it looks like it operates over WiFi and 3G.

A-ha! Please let this work (looks like it might): http://www.talkatone.com/

Free Voice and Text over WiFi and 3G. You wouldn't need any minutes/text from your carrier. Just Data.

Another link: http://www.makeuseof...ne-android-ios/

#398 sibpin

• 2,637 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Just discovered Tweet Lanes. Full Holo theme, so it looks like a system Android app. Built-in tweet bar similar to Messaging / Talk apps is constantly at the bottom of the page. Still very early, so things like Notifications aren't implemented yet, and some of the press options are a bit confusing (short presses seem like they do what long presses should do). But I just love the design. I'm going to have the standard Twitter client check for notifications but do all of my browsing on this app.