Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Android Apps Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
397 replies to this topic

#51 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

That's actually a fairly smart app. Especially in big cities.

I think it looks like a pretty shitty app, actually. I can't see how it would help and it might even hurt because it could lull you into thinking you're safe and then a car plows you from the left side, which the camera wouldn't pick up. Gimmick and not a good one.

#52 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 21,357 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

For those using tasker, I'm seeing a lot of comments about battery drain. How has your experience been? Anyone using it for the droid x specifically?

Seems endlessly useful.

#53 PortlandSoxFan

• Father of Idontgiveafuckism

• 5,892 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

I only set up one task; I figured I didn't want to go crazy with it before Froyo came out.

#54 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,225 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I think it looks like a pretty shitty app, actually. I can't see how it would help and it might even hurt because it could lull you into thinking you're safe and then a car plows you from the left side, which the camera wouldn't pick up. Gimmick and not a good one.

The problem is it's probably only good for helping you not step in dog shit. Honestly, who holds their phone in front of their face with two hands while texting? Am I the only one that holds it near my belt when texting?

Edited by mt8thsw9th, 06 August 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#55 PortageeExpress

• 1,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

For those using tasker, I'm seeing a lot of comments about battery drain. How has your experience been? Anyone using it for the droid x specifically?

Seems endlessly useful.

I'm on the Droid, not the X, but I haven't noticed any impact to battery life.

#56 Three10toLeft

• 882 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

Edit: Wrong thread.

Edited by Three10toLeft, 06 August 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#57 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,334 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Anybody have a good RSS reader that would work with Google Reader?

Tried Greader and it really sucked.

#58 PortlandSoxFan

• Father of Idontgiveafuckism

• 5,892 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Anybody have a good RSS reader that would work with Google Reader?

Tried Greader and it really sucked.

Newsrob. LOVE it.

http://www.appbrain....app/com.newsrob

#59 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

I really enjoy the Droid X but I'm noticing several times throughout the day that the sheer size of the phone is more of a pain than it might be worth. Whether it be when I'm sitting down looking scrolling through the phone, I find myself having to adjust the positioning of my hand on the device to pull down the notification bar or do other actions with the X.I don't think I have small hands, probably average. But it is a pain in the ass, especially while driving. And yes, I know I shouldn't be on my phone while driving. I wish the Droid 2 would launch within the next 20 days so I could decide between the two devices,

Supposed to launch August 12th. You'll be able to check it out it in time.

EDIT: Best Buy is already taking pre-orders, so the launch date should be pretty accurate.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 06 August 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#60 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

Widget Locker is my favorite app on the entire device. I put it up there with Tasker in terms of convenience.

You can customize the lock screen to whatever you want for shortcuts, to be able to run any one of those programs at any time by itself without having to unlock and allow extra apps to begin running. I have a personal slider setup for navigation to my house from anywhere & my Bank of America account, a vibrate/ringer toggle button, the camera & my music, etc. It even allows for the same iPhone slider to unlock as opposed to the stock slider, which is s nice touch for us converts.

It's the best $2 I've spent on any app yet aside from Tasker.

#61 OrlandoMerced

• 189 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Is anyone running a calendar app that is not stock? I'm looking for a nice one.

I just started using one called Gemini. So far so good. Looks a lot slicker than the stock one, syncs with google calendars if you want, and has 3 different widgets for your home screen.

http://www.appbrain....gemini.calendar

BTW, I've been liking appbrain to find apps much better than the stock android market.

#62 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I just started using one called Gemini. So far so good. Looks a lot slicker than the stock one, syncs with google calendars if you want, and has 3 different widgets for your home screen.

http://www.appbrain....gemini.calendar

BTW, I've been liking appbrain to find apps much better than the stock android market.

That's what I use, and was coming here to recommend.

#63 amlothi

• 392 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

Seems endlessly useful.

I think it really depends on how you set it up. If you consider battery issues when you create profiles, it's fine. For example, I use network provider to determine location (not GPS) and I just enlarge the allowable location circle in areas where I don't get good triangulation.

I have 11 profiles set up, and I don't see a noticeable difference in battery. I'm guessing that the small amount of power used by Tasker to periodically check things is counterbalanced by the power I save by not forgetting to turn things off when I'm not using them.

Some things I am using it for:

Set media volume to 0 default (don't like to have online videos playing sound when I'm out and about) but turned up automatically when I open certain apps (music, MLBatBat)

Set GPS to off, and only be used to certain apps (Maps, Nav, etc). I don't like other apps being able to "locate" me with precision. Maybe a bit of paranoia.

At home, Wifi on automatically and Mobile Data off.

At work, Wifi and Mobile Data off, but it turns on once every 2 hours to sync.

At night (set hours) and if phone is laying flat (not still awake), volumes down except for things I want (important calls, alarm).

At night, if battery low and not plugged in, turn everything off to conserve the battery.

Widget to set and remember current GPS location.
Widget to navigate to remembered location.

At shutdown > silent mode. (Hate the way too loud HTC boot up sound. "Quietly brilliant", the irony.)
At startup, wait 10 seconds > kill silent mode.

#64 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 13,191 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

Tasker confuses and frightens me. I tried to set up a task that would make the phone switch into silent mode at 9:30am Sunday, then switch out at noon. (So I don't have to remember to silence my phone for church.) I quickly realized I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Can someone give step-by-step instructions for setting up a simple task, like one of the ones amlothi1 describes?

#65 amlothi

• 392 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Tasker confuses and frightens me. I tried to set up a task that would make the phone switch into silent mode at 9:30am Sunday, then switch out at noon. (So I don't have to remember to silence my phone for church.) I quickly realized I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Can someone give step-by-step instructions for setting up a simple task, like one of the ones amlothi1 describes?

I would suggest you setup a a location context for what you want to do. If you frequently are near your church at times when you don't want your phone to be silent, you can add a time context and day context also. My only thought is that, if you go at a different time (say, holidays) than Tasker won't know to silent your phone.

Also, if you use only a time/day context (and no location), it will go silent every Sunday even if you don't happen to be at Church that day.

Here is how you can use a time and a location.

1) Add a new profile. Choose the first context.
2) Enter your first context settings. (Let's say, time. So set the from and to times.)
3) Tasker will ask for the Task for this profile. (Under Audio, choose Silent Mode, then choose On.)
4) Choose Done. This will bring you back to the Profiles list.
5) Tap the time context (from 9:30 to 12:00) and choose Add.
6) Add your next context (Location). You can either choose the point on the map, or (usually more accurate) set this context when you are standing right outside your church and use "Get Fix" to have it find your current location.

I would suggest that you use Net only for the location setting and not GPS, as the GPS uses more battery. You can adjust the Radius of the location.

7) You can repeat the above to add a "Day" context also, but that is up to you. If the only time you go to that location is for Church, than a location context by itself would probably

Note: All our contexts are treated as "AND", meaning that all 3 contexts need to be true for the Task to be applied. After one of those contexts is no longer true (after 12:00, or you leave that location) Tasker will revert back to your previous settings automatically. (For most settings, but sometimes it won't switch back automatically. In this case, you can set it to revert to the original settings as an exit task.)

There are some good examples here:

http://tasker.wikido...m/profile-index

Edited by amlothi, 09 August 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#66 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Beautiful Widgets is just all sorts of awesome. For those looking for a nice Sense-like animated weather widget, this is it. It also has a host of other widget icons for the main screen. The kicker is, within the main weather/date/time widget, each is it's own built-in shortcut. Touch the picture of the sun/clouds, etc, and the accuweather app opens up animated full screen. Touch the date, and the calendar app opens. Touch the clock and the alarm clock settings open up. You can also customize the widget to open up 3rd party apps for any of those, so if you use Gemini Calendar for example, just tell it to open Gemini when you touch the date on the main screen instead of the stock calendar. You can also download free different skins for the clock and weather icons to customize those as well. A well-developed visual treat of an app.

#67 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

Another 4 hours trying to find a decent sync solution (I listen and watch a lot of podcasts) and it's still a semi-disaster.

iSynchr, Songbird, iTunes Agent, DoubleTwist (got worse with the latest update), WMP, all of them will suck your soul and burp with glee.

Was looking into this last night and found the issue to simply be DRM on some songs. I found a good program online with a free trial that strips DRM from iTunes libraries for all songs and video, and stripped my entire library overnight. It's called SoundTaxi. It also saves the entire library and its sub-folders in the exact same setup, but in mp3 format, on your pc. After doing it, I simply copied the new mp3 "iTunes Media" library folder onto my Droid X and waited for it to finish transferring. Either that or pony a huge sum of cash to strip DRM off of your actual iTunes files within iTunes (yikes). Hope this helps.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 11 August 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#68 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,112 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Was looking into this last night and found the issue to simply be DRM on some songs. I found a good program online with a free trial that strips DRM from iTunes libraries for all songs and video, and stripped my entire library overnight. It's called SoundTaxi. It also saves the entire library and its sub-folders in the exact same setup, but in mp3 format, on your pc. After doing it, I simply copied the new mp3 "iTunes Media" library folder onto my Droid X and waited for it to finish transferring. Either that or pony a huge sum of cash to strip DRM off of your actual iTunes files within iTunes (yikes). Hope this helps.

That's awesome CTHP - am doing it right now. Now if I can only find a podcast player that properly groups and sorts video podcasts as well as audio podcasts.

#69 JerBear

• 1,107 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

If you aren't using Gesture Search yet, you should be. Especially now that you don't have to active the app with an actual screen press.

http://googlemobile....ure-search.html

#70 deconstruction

• 3,077 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

Anyone here use btunes? I just upgraded to a 32gb card and it's constantly force closing trying to refresh/access my 25gb library. Seemed ok when I had only 13g of music on there. doubletwist seems to handle it better, but still closes a few times a day.

#71 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

Google has led the way with native voice search capabilities on Android, and it's take a giant leap ahead with the new Voice Actions, just announced at that event today in Mountain View, Calif. It's about as easy as it gets. Speak it, and it happens. Here's what you can say:

* send text to [contact] [message]
* listen to [artist/song/album]
* call [business]
* call [contact]
* send email to [contact] [message]
* go to [website]
* note to self [note]
* navigate to [location/business name]
* directions to [location/business name]
* map of [location]

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-ups-ante-voice-search-all-new-voice-actions

#72 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

The new Chrome to Phone extension adds a button to your Google Chrome browser that instantly sends the current web page, map, YouTube video, or selected phone number or text to your Android device running Froyo (or Android 2.2).

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/08/12/chrome-to-phone/

#73 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,750 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-ups-ante-voice-search-all-new-voice-actions

thanks

playing with it now - waaay cool

#74 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,252 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

As most of you know I'm always a bit behind the curve when it comes to apps, usability, and features. But I'm getting more aggresive.

Do they make an app or a combo of apps that will do the following.

Allow me to place my phone (Incredible) in the window mount of my car and somehow the phone will read me the Boston Globe sports articles in the morning on my way to work? I've got a 25 minute commute and listening to the phone read me the stories would be perfect.

#75 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,112 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

As most of you know I'm always a bit behind the curve when it comes to apps, usability, and features. But I'm getting more aggresive.

Do they make an app or a combo of apps that will do the following.

Allow me to place my phone (Incredible) in the window mount of my car and somehow the phone will read me the Boston Globe sports articles in the morning on my way to work? I've got a 25 minute commute and listening to the phone read me the stories would be perfect.

Combination of Voice Actions and text-to-speech apps? Or Tasker queuing up pages and turning on VA + T2S apps?

#76 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,334 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

I think Corsi might have already posted about this in one of the threads, but "No lock" is an awesome app that gets rid of the swipe lock screen. I didn't realize how much that annoyed me until I got rid of it. Great free app.

#77 TallerThanPedroia

• Civilly Disobedient

• 8,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

I've been looking in vain for a simple MP3 player app. I'm a curmudgeon about MP3 players in general, so it's a problem. I just want something that allows me to throw a bunch of MP3s into a list and then play them either in order or shuffled. Like the original Winamp, basically (I was sad to see they don't have an app). I don't want to be bothered with trappings like ID3 tags, or downloading lyrics or album covers from the internet. The words "playlist" and "library" give me fits (I'm still happily using my Creative Zen Nano 1GB MP3 player - screw iTunes).

The closest I've come is music folder player, but the basic controls are fairly clunky. Anyone know anything better?

#78 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,145 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

I don't think there's anything out there that can let you create a music list easily on the fly, so I've resigned myself to doing it on a PC. I did find some freeware called mp3tag to help me with my tagging chores.

Until you can create a playlist on the fly or queue songs up like you can with Winamp, mp3 players on any kind of smartphone are going to be relatively useless.

Is there anything that works like the Apple Genius in the Android world? The stock player doesn't have anything like that, and I don't know if that's a feature I'm going to miss per se, but it might be a nice touch.

#79 TallerThanPedroia

• Civilly Disobedient

• 8,896 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

RockPlayer seems to be a very versatile video player.

#80 amlothi

• 392 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

For those using Tasker, here are some tips that I've discovered as I've played with it more. Explanations and examples put into spoilers to conserve thread space.

1) If you are using a profile to turn Wifi on based on your location, combine it with a Wifi near context.

Rationale: This conserves power and makes your profile more accurate.

Spoiler

2) Use Alerts when creating new/complex profiles so that you can easily see events are occurring as you want them to.

Spoiler

3) Use Variables

This lets you do a lot more things than you could normally do with the predefined options in Tasker.

Spoiler

4) Use the "Perform Task" function.

The Perform Task function allows you to call a Task that you have named and saved. This is incredibly useful if you find yourself using the same series of Tasks under multiple profiles.

Spoiler

5) Learn to use tasks as Menus.

When editing a task, click on the little tools icon, and under Task Type you can change from Execute to Menu. (Execute will cause Tasker to execute each step, the Menu option will instead display a Menu and let you choose from the Tasks.)

Spoiler

#81 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Just noticed this from Yahoo! Fantasy Sports. Supposedly coming Sept 1.

Posted Image
* Set your roster from your Android device
* Get real-time fantasy score updates
* Add and drop players

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/signup/

#82 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

I just installed this. My league hasn't drafted yet, but it looks promising.

#83 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

I just installed this. My league hasn't drafted yet, but it looks promising.

It's available now? Where are you seeing it in the Market?

I've got Fantasy Guru installed, which links into Yahoo Fantasy Sports, but it isn't an actual Yahoo app.

#84 EddieYost

• 4,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yep...rookie mistake. I've got the same one as you.

#85 Rossox

• 1,554 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Any recommendations on a good photo album app? The default photos viewer is pretty blah.

#86 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Porn enthusiasts rejoice!

Today we are happy to announce the first official Bing for Mobile Android App available to Verizon customers. You can now download the free Bing App from your Verizon Wireless Android phones’ Marketplace.

http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/search/archive/2010/08/28/bing-for-mobile-comes-to-your-verizon-android.aspx

Those on AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile can download the apk here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=769443

edit: Bah! No video search!

Edited by Corsi Combover, 30 August 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#87 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,334 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

About time!!

http://www.droid-lif...ay-sign-up-now/

#88 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Just noticed this from Yahoo! Fantasy Sports. Supposedly coming Sept 1.

http://football.fant....com/f1/signup/

Boom. Here it is.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Grab it by scanning this code:
Posted Image

#89 EddieYost

• 4,383 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Corsi. Boy I am a rookie...I have no idea how to scan that. Luckily its in the Android market as well.

#90 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3,292 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks Corsi. Boy I am a rookie...I have no idea how to scan that. Luckily its in the Android market as well.

Search for an app called barcode scanner
You run the app, and put it up to bar codes or these square codes.

#91 EddieYost

• 4,383 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

So a friend of mine...not me...obviously....just installed barcode scanner...and was waving the wrong side of his phone over Corsi's barcode for a good solid minute. What a moron eh? Luckily I am too smart for that. Anyway...that is pretty slick. Thanks!

#92 EddieYost

• 4,383 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to stream music and/or videos from a NAS on your local network to your Android phone?

#93 sonsoftrotnixon

• 589 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to stream music and/or videos from a NAS on your local network to your Android phone?

Check out GMOTE on the android market. I use it to stream music from my work PC.

#94 EddieYost

• 4,383 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Very cool. Thanks!! I just set it up so my NAS is a share listed in the GMOTE server and I was able to browse it no problem and play music from my iTunes library.

Now what I need is something that will just plow through my iTunes library and convert all of the m4p's to m4a's...but wait this is the wrong thread for that.

#95 NoXInNixon

• 1,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Before Froyo, whenever I'd get into my car, bluetooth would detect my phone and immediately start playing from my Doubletwist playlist. Since the Froyo update, it still detects the bluetooth but it doesn't start playing right away. What setting do I change to get it back to the way it used to work?

#96 Three10toLeft

• 882 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

Does anyone know of a camera app that allows you take a picture with a button on the screen instead of the button on the phone?

I feel like if I had a softkey option it would eliminate a lot of the blur effect on some of the photos I try to take on the DX. So far, I'm somewhat disappointed in the Camera quality. Especially compared to the iPhone 4.

#97 Caspir

• 3,581 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

On the Incredible, you can long press the screen to take a pic. The X doesn't do the same?

Edit - update for Flash, Froyo only. Just install the .apk from the sd card, or Chrome to Phone the link and install directly. It fixed some browser lag for me.

Edited by Caspir, 04 September 2010 - 08:17 AM.

#98 3rd Degree

• 2,195 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

Does anyone know of a camera app that allows you take a picture with a button on the screen instead of the button on the phone?

I feel like if I had a softkey option it would eliminate a lot of the blur effect on some of the photos I try to take on the DX. So far, I'm somewhat disappointed in the Camera quality. Especially compared to the iPhone 4.

Search for FxCamera in the Market. I use it and I love it.

#99 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

There's also an update to GMail, which can be found here: http://www.droid-lif...-version-2-2-1/

It's a slightly upgraded version of the one found in the Market.

#100 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

HuddleHub is now available in the Market. It allows you to manage your fantasy teams on both Yahoo and ESPN. Curious to see how it compares to the Fantasy Football app that Yahoo just released.