Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

QuarterFinal - Uruguay v Ghana

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
304 replies to this topic

#301 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2000 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Jul 3 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really though, there's only so many places you can stop a penalty. I think most saved penalties are bad penalties rather than good goalkeeping. Short of telling a keeper you're going to put it in the corner to your right, a normal runup with a ball to the corner will result in a goal.

Absolutely, I agree - either way should be more than sufficient. I'm just pointing out that the one-step method is not stupid, as someone seemed to think. The loss of power is compensated for by the reduction of diving time for the keeper.

#302 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 5586 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

For those that said he should have tried to head the ball rather than use his hands, they just showed a replay from behind the goal. There is no way he could have headed that ball out. It was wide of him and above his head. Given the time he had to react, the hands were his only option.

#303 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7382 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (BrazilianSoxFan @ Jul 3 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ghanna had to remove a player from the penalty kick lineup. After the tenth kick it would reset.

True. Even the goalkeepers take penalties (and Ghana is not allowed to remove its goalkeeper from the lineup to make ten). If it's still tied after ten kicks, the first player kicks again.

#304 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 4842 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Bellhorn @ Jul 3 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding the one-step penalty: another factor is that this gives the goalkeeper less time to reach a fully stretched-out dive, meaning that anything near the corner of the goal will be entirely unstoppable. The thing is...you actually have to put it near the corner of the goal.

Why does it give him less time?

#305 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2000 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (WayBackVazquez @ Jul 3 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does it give him less time?

Because with the stutter-step penalties no longer legal, the longer run-up allows the keeper to begin his weight transfer (depending on which side he is guessing) perhaps two or three steps before the ball is actually struck.