Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Updated Injury Timeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 sibpin

• 2,637 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

Here's an injury timeline I made up for this season:

Dark red: DL (including retroactives)
Light red: Non-DL injury
Dark blue: bereavement
Gray: on roster

UPDATED: Last date on the chart for most players is August 20. To date, the team has spent 767 games on the DL (including Tazawa who is not listed below). That's an average of more than 6 injured players per game. The Sox have now had 50 different players on the active roster this season.

Posted Image

Edited by sibpin, 20 August 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#2 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

It's been a bad week.

June 24 - Mike Lowell on DL with strained right hip

June 25 - Dustin Pedroia on DL with fracture in left foot

June 26 - Clay Buchholz suffers left hamstring strain (no DL)

June 28 - Victor Martinez on DL with fractured bone in left thumb

July 1 - Manny Delcarmen on DL with right forearm strain

July 1 - Jason Varitek on DL with broken bone in foot

#3 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

Nice job on this, Alex. That's a startling depiction in full-screen view.

Each one of those little red blocks is a cup of our blood. I hope the gods drink this in remembrance of us.

#4 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Staggering is what it is. That's 12 out of the original 39 eligible players (I believe they started the season at 39 not 40), or 31%, who have spent some time on the DL through the first three months of the season. And 9 of 40 (22.5%) are currently on the DL as of July 2. Plus an additional 6 players have missed some playing time due to injury or personal issues without going on the DL.

#5 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

The most chilling part about Sibpin's cool chart is it's only going to get worse. Obviously Varitek and Pedoria aren't going to miss only 15 days. And other players will get hurt.

#6 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5,658 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Looking at that graph really makes me appreciate the record the team currently has. What is troubling for the time being we are without our #2 pitcher, both catchers, 2nd basemen, and LF, maybe Jacoby or Beckett come back sooner but this could last a solid month.

Even if Theo wanted to make a major addition via trade, I dont know if he will have enough data/injury information at the deadline to make a major bet. Last year we all knew Tek couldnt get it done at the plate and so the Victor trade was clearly going to help the team. This year we havent had enough time to see the intended pitching and defense team on the field to properly identify our weaknesses.

#7 joe dokes

• 3,101 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

With starting pitching now the clear stregth of the team (even without Beckett) I look for Tito to go into a bit of playoff mode till the ASB, and really push the starters over the next 9 games. Given the inevitable closeness of this race, its quite important that this potentially disastrous period doesn't punch big holes in the ship.

#8 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I can't recall anything like this in MLB; it probably has happened, just don't know when. It's more common in other sports, where a season can go down the drain over a weekend. I remember a Patriots' season that evaporated in the final pre-season game with multiple key injuries.

The one thing I'm confident in is that there will be no panic moves. Not only because the FO plays for the long term, or because they made a panic move at catcher in recent years that they deeply regretted, but because it's far from clear the season can be saved from a post-season perspective. The dike may have too many holes.

Survival from here turns very heavily on pitching and on winning series against the poor teams beginning tonight. For at least the next month, the Sox are very likely to get mauled by the superior teams. We may be in no man's land by the deadline -- not worth adding to, not far enough out of it to subtract from with a view to next year.

Edited by dcmissle, 02 July 2010 - 09:44 AM.

#9 JMDurron

• 4,331 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (dcmissle @ Jul 2 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Survival from here turns very heavily on pitching and on winning series against the poor teams beginning tonight. For at least the next month, the Sox are very likely to get mauled by the superior teams. We may be in no man's land by the deadline -- not worth adding to, not far enough out of it to subtract from with a view to next year.

In my mind, survival from here turns very heavily on the Rays continuing to self-destruct. If the Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox all play to the full capabilities of the healthy players currently on their respective rosters, the Red Sox are toast, or will at least be in a deep hole before the reinforcements can be fully deployed. Either the Yankees need to suffer a similar instance of "the entire team just looked into the Ark", or the Rays need to keep underperforming (or regressing to their actual ability levels, perhaps?) for the Red Sox to be in solid postseason position 4-6 weeks from now. Obviously, the surviving Red Sox players need to keep playing well in the interim, but even if they do, there are now enough injuries that it's also partly about whether or not one of the other main competitors will help us out or not.

Before you call me a Chicken Little, I want to emphasize that I am extremely positive on the 2010 Red Sox...when healthy. There are enough replacement (or worse) players now getting significant playing time that I think it is silly to expect to see a similar level of performance going forward. This isn't Theo's fault or anyone else's fault, but I'm not convinced that this is survivable unless at least 3 out of Nava, McDonald, Hall, and Patterson maintain at least MLB-average levels of performance, which I think is quite a bit to ask. It would be absolutely awesome if it happens, but I think an adjustment to our internal expectations is called for here.

#10 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but the only thing more stunning than the number of Sox players laid to waste is the fact that Tim Wakefield isn't one of them. Not one single solitary second on the DL this year.

#11 EastCoasterOutWest

• Viva zapatos!

• 3,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (wutang112878 @ Jul 2 2010, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at that graph really makes me appreciate the record the team currently has. What is troubling for the time being we are without our #2 pitcher, both catchers, 2nd basemen, and LF, maybe Jacoby or Beckett come back sooner but this could last a solid month.

Even if Theo wanted to make a major addition via trade, I dont know if he will have enough data/injury information at the deadline to make a major bet. Last year we all knew Tek couldnt get it done at the plate and so the Victor trade was clearly going to help the team. This year we havent had enough time to see the intended pitching and defense team on the field to properly identify our weaknesses.

On Beckett per Rotowire (from his fantasy news)

Beckett (back) threw 41 pitches to live batters at Fenway Park on Thursday and felt fine following his two-inning stint, the Boston Globe reports.
Spin:
Beckett's next step will be to begin a minor-league rehabilitation assignment, likely next Tuesday. It is believed Beckett will need three or four minor league starts before returning to Boston's active lineup.

Going by days instead of games (counting days during the ASB to make it an every fifth day start) that puts his 3rd rehab game on the 16st and his fourth on the 21st. Assuming they go at least 3, he's due back on the 21st at the earliest, and that's depending on how the rotation plays out.

All these injuries are starting to remind me of the Trailblazers' season.

#12 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (mabrowndog @ Jul 2 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but the only thing more stunning than the number of Sox players laid to waste is the fact that Tim Wakefield isn't one of them. Not one single solitary second on the DL this year.

Amen. A2:07 game. Jesus.

#13 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,170 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

First time online since late May and I have not watched a single game since May 25th. What the hell is going on?

Good chart, I guess.

#14 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,123 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

The Mets had this same kind of year recently (last year? 2008?).

Unlike the Mets, the Sox are rising above and kicking ass.

#15 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,873 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

What's more amazing is if you draw a line down from 3 days before Beckett went on the DL. That was his last start. There is significant color on the left, but to the right is like a battlezone.

The Sox were 19-20 and 8.5 games behind Tampa on that day (Papelbon's blown save in the toilet). Since then they have gone 29-12 (!!) and are 2 games up on Tampa despite the walking wounded. Pretty amazing.

#16 mabrowndog

• 38,405 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Theo was just interviewed during the Futures Game on ESPN2, and J.P. Ricciardi asked him which of the bedridden would return to the team first. Paraphrasing, "Buchholz, Hermida and Victor Martinez within the first week or two after the break. Pedroia, Ellsbury and Varitek sometime after that."

You could hear the frustration and resignment in his voice when he added, "We also had Adrian Beltre leave the game early with a hamstring strain, so we'll have to see where he's at..."

I'm sure Beckett just slipped his mind. Didn't hear him mention Lowell, Lowrie or Delcarmen.

#17 RoDaddy

• 1,286 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (86spike @ Jul 2 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unlike the Mets, the Sox are rising above and kicking ass.

They're at least keeping their head above water, which is impressive enough with the injuries. If Beckert's back, I think the Sox will be the best team in baseball over the second half, since we'll then have three top of the rotation starters plus guys back from injury. This could turn into a great year for the Sox.

#18 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,454 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

The Glob has a report on some of the injured brigade's progress.

Just trying to figure out when we might see some of these guys return, these are just vague guesses based on that article, so if you have better info please post:
Beltre: "could pinch hit tonight"
MDC: Saturday 7/17?
Hermida: Monday 7/19?
Buchholz: Wednesday 7/21?
Beckett: Thursday 7/22?
Martinez: ??? originally "might not miss a game," then went on DL, and was supposed to be back right after the all-star break, but that isn't happening, and no word on when he might be back
Pedroia: can start to work out if scan is okay-- how long after that until he is back, assuming everything goes well?
Varitek:???
Ellsbury: ????????
Lowell: ????

Edited by The Gray Eagle, 15 July 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#19 cwright

• 2,330 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

The Glob has a report on some of the injured brigade's progress.
Martinez: ??? originally "might not miss a game," then went on DL, and was supposed to be back right after the all-star break, but that isn't happening, and no word on when he might be back

Bradford is reporting that Martinez had a scan today that showed "he's progressing"...though it's unclear to me whether it actually got better or just didn't get worse:
Francona:

They wanted to see it had become worse or displaced and it is OK," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona after his team's 7-2 loss to the Rangers Thursday night at Fenway Park. "He is still very tender. As that tenderness leaves he can do more, but that is where we are at."

Martinez:

"It shows it got a lot better," he said. "I think from this point it's just seeing how it feels every day. Hopefully I can wake up tomorrow with no pain. I'm just taking it day by day and just seeing how it feels."

Martinez said he was able to swing from the left side, but it was "pretty hard" from the right side.
link

#20 cwright

• 2,330 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

Pedroia is off crutches and will be allowed to put weight on his healing foot, but he'll have to wear a boot for 2 more weeks:

"He can do a lot with the boot, but hes got to put the boot on," Francona said. "He can hit. He can do anything he can do."

Varitek apparently isn't healing as quickly, and is about 2 weeks behind Pedroia.
Globe

#21 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,454 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

I haven't been able to find any prognosis on when Martinez might actually be back.

Which is frustrating because it seems that the biggest dropoff we're getting from injured starter to replacement is going from Martinez to Cash. (Some of the pitchers might be bigger, but hopefully that's irrelevant going forward, because it sounds like Buchholz might be able to make his next start with the Sox.) Abraham noted last night that "Bengie Molina's 10 total bases tonight are four more than RedSox catchers have had since Martinez got hurt June 24."

Surely Dusty Brown or Mark Wagner has to be up today, with Fake Molina going down, right?

With Varitek looking to be out for a long time, we still need a catcher. Actually, we need two catchers until Martinez is actually playing for the Red Sox again.

Cabrera was DFA'd, probably with MDC coming back tonight.

Pedroia's off crutches but still has to wear the boot for another two weeks, so it looks like we're not seeing him with the Red Sox until sometime in August. The sooner that Lowrie gets here the better, IMO, but there was a report in the Herald that he's staying in Pawtucket for a while longer, even though he's hit well in 7 or 8 games of minor league rehab so far. According to that report, Scutaro's hurting, but Lowrie's staying in AAA for more than another week, at least. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hermida should be activated for the West Coast trip, barring any setbacks, so it'll be interesting to see who goes to make room for him. Though the Herald says he might not join the Sox until they get to Seattle.

Edited by The Gray Eagle, 17 July 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#22 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,165 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

The sooner that Lowrie gets here the better, IMO, but there was a report in the Herald that he's staying in Pawtucket for a while longer, even though he's hit well in 7 or 8 games of minor league rehab so far. According to that report, Scutaro's hurting, but Lowrie's staying in AAA for more than another week, at least. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Lowrie is on the 60 day DL isn't he? That means removing him means getting their 40 man roster ducks in a row and what with the deadline coming up, that's going to be in a bit of flux.

Plus there's the whole thing about him not really playing effectively for a year and a half now. I think an extra week or two is well within reason.

#23 sibpin

• 2,637 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Updated first post.