Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Round of 16 - War of the Inquisition: Battle for Iberia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#51 EP Sox Fan

• 1265 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (mikeford @ Jun 29 2010, 01:54 PM) <{<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7 goals in 7 World Cup games for Villa.

Guy is a machine.

Guy just scores goals and knows how to finish.

Note to US Soccer Federation: For example of type of player needed to fill striker role on USMNT see Villa, David.

#52 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11125 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Spain playing keep away. And playing it well.

#53 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9941 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (ifmanis5 @ Jun 29 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He represents Catalonia, she was raised down in Aragon.

#54 EP Sox Fan

• 1265 posts

QUOTE (ifmanis5 @ Jun 29 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They really have the perfect recipe for World Cup success: solid D, can hold possession, possess at least one player who can finish and competent goalkeeping.

Once they get a lead like this, they can touch the ball around the field like they're playing keep away. Also, Portugal's required to change their tactics in the middle of the match. Often not a great recipe for success. Pack the back and counterattack works great until you have to score.

#55 cjdmadcow

• 1210 posts

QUOTE (EP Sox Fan @ Jun 29 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guy just scores goals and knows how to finish.

Note to US Soccer Federation: For example of type of player needed to fill striker role on USMNT see Villa, David.

Good intentions, but to be fair there aren't many of the quality of David Villa playing in world football, let alone the US. It's one thing to identify the type of player you want, it's another to actually find someone with that natural-born talent.

#56 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Say what you want about Ronaldo, but he's been hosed by the refs this game.

#57 EP Sox Fan

• 1265 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (cjdmadcow @ Jun 29 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good intentions, but to be fair there aren't many of the quality of David Villa playing in world football, let alone the US. It's one thing to identify the type of player you want, it's another to actually find someone with that natural-born talent.

That's why I said example. US lacks a pure finisher. Villa certainly looks the part. The talent has to be there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding someone (not necessarily to equal Villa but someone who has the killer instinct that Altidore / Findley lack (will cut Gomez, Buddle a break since we didn't get to see enough of them in the WC) lack.

#58 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15210 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Eh?

#59 Bosoxen

• Bounced back

• 5590 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

He threw the elbow, but did he make contact?

#60 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8704 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Ridiculous call, not that it matters much at this point.

#61 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9941 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (EP Sox Fan @ Jun 29 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why I said example. US lacks a pure finisher. Villa certainly looks the part. The talent has to be there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding someone (not necessarily to equal Villa but someone who has the killer instinct that Altidore / Findley lack (will cut Gomez, Buddle a break since we didn't get to see enough of them in the WC) lack.

Findley also lacks talent.

Altidore is still young and has scored 9 goals in under 30 games for the US. I'd be careful in saying that he lacks a "killer instinct"...it's not like he's Emile Heskey yet or anything.

#62 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11125 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 29 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...it's not like he's Emile Heskey yet or anything.

laugh.gif

Another dumb red card. Stern must run FIFA as well.

#63 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6076 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Portugal scored 7 times against North Korea, and none against the Ivory Coast, Brazil, and Spain combined.

#64 Bosoxen

• Bounced back

• 5590 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Bye bye Ronaldo, you cunt-faced asshole.

#65 Mike Greenwall

• 1302 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Bosoxen @ Jun 29 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This.
He just spat at the camera. Stay classy, you prick!

#66 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2193 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Paraguay is going to get SMOKED.

#67 EP Sox Fan

• 1265 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 29 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Findley also lacks talent.

Altidore is still young and has scored 9 goals in under 30 games for the US. I'd be careful in saying that he lacks a "killer instinct"...it's not like he's Emile Heskey yet or anything.

Fair point, I was basing my post on his WC performance more than anything else. He's 20 and has a lot of upside and may well develop into the type of striker we desperately need.

Edit: Also, Findley blows.

Edited by EP Sox Fan, 29 June 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#68 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7465 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Bosoxen @ Jun 29 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He threw the elbow, but did he make contact?

Love the way the "victim" rolled around for a few seconds, then looked up at the referee, saw the referee looking back, then commenced more rolling around in agony.

#69 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13423 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Mystic Merlin @ Jun 29 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I've had enough of the 'South Africa 2010' segway. I have no idea what the (Afrikaans?) shout means.

#70 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11125 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Bosoxen @ Jun 29 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So fucking true. Hate knowing that somewhere Gasol is happy, tho.

#71 Zososoxfan

• 1453 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

What a boring fucking game, my god. Spain have only one way to score and that's tight area passing near the box. Theor talented forward players rarely take on defenders and against a better team, I doubt they do much. To be fair, Ramos had an excellent game running the right side of the attack. Villa looks in top form, he was most certainly a bright spot on this miserable day. The defense had a couple of very close calls (the Puyol deflection, I think there were others). Torres was an amateurish clothes hanger abortion (shades of Kaka with an injury as a possible excuse), Iniesta was ineffective, and there was no need to have both Busquets and Alonso in there.

Not to be outdone, Portugal, who may be the most overrated team in the world, did nothing during 90 minutes. They have decent defense, Cronaldo, and nothing else. Coentrao (sp?, the LFB) was the only player who showed a pulse and he disappeared during the 2nd half.

I fully expect Spain to play a similar, if not a more effective, version of the same gameplan against Paraguay, but a grittier, more physical Paraguay could show expose some weaknesses in this Spanish squad. In all likelihood though, Spain will pass the ball around, eventually score a decent goal, then play keep-away.

Where I think it gets interesting is the semis, if Spain qualifies, against Germany/Argentina. Argentina can probably play the possession game as well as Spain, and throws many more players who are in better form forward. whereas Germany could probably break up Spanish possession through physical play or render it ineffective through their organization.

#72 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (MentalDisabldLst @ Jun 29 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, did I really write that? Fuck me.

#73 AusTexSoxFan

• 1994 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

My God... Spain are on the cusp of reaching a WC semi for the first time ever.

A por ellos! O-E!

#74 EP Sox Fan

• 1265 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Zososoxfan @ Jun 29 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to be outdone, Portugal, who may be the most overrated team in the world, did nothing during 90 minutes. They have decent defense, Cronaldo, and nothing else. Coentrao (sp?, the LFB) was the only player who showed a pulse and he disappeared during the 2nd half.

England says cheerio.

#75 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8306 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

I think Spain can count herself as equal in talent to Brazil and Argentina BUT.... It lacks a clear plan I think. Del Bosque is trying to find a way to fit the puzzle from game to game and at some point it might catch up with him.

#76 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5332 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 29 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He hit the clinching penalty kick for Portugal vs. England in 06, and again to win Manchester United the 08 Champions League. His teams have won 3 league championships, and 3 domestic cups.

I wish more players would "come up small when it matters" like him. Ronaldo is very easily hatable, but come on now.

And him being "a pretty boy with some talent" refuses to acknowledge just how much talent he has. If anything, he's more like Kobe Bryant, who is immensely talented that is singularly obsessed with winning because it injects him more into the spotlight. He might be a vain egotist that does things like take 30 shots from 40 yards out depsite open teammates, but he's also one of the best 4-5 players in the world.

Yeah, and Arod had done a few things too. But Ronaldo did nothing for Portugal in this tournament other than score a meaningless goal late in a rout of North Korea. He did almost nothing in Euro 2008, and nothing in the qualifying for this Cup. He scored a goal in the 2006 World Cup and got Wayne Rooney expelled. And is beating England on penalties considered an achievement any more? laugh.gif

We talk a lot of about Small Sample Size on this board and 4-5 games once every four years is about as small as it gets. Other great players have managed to disappear from these tournaments too (Hello, Wayne Rooney!). But if Ronaldo wants to be considered an all-time great, instead of just the transfer payment record setter, he's got to do something someday on this stage and, so far, he's come up small. Today certainly did nothing to change that.

#77 Vinho Tinto

• 3639 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Philip Jeff Frye @ Jun 29 2010, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if Ronaldo wants to be considered an all-time great, instead of just the transfer payment record setter, he's got to do something someday on this stage and, so far, he's come up small. .

Ronaldo's problem is that he is focused on playing like an all-time great rather than a winger who is a member of a team. He did this during his best tournaments for Portugal (Euro '04 and WC '06). I wonder how much of this is due to Figo's retirement. It'd probably help if he had a coach he was forced to respect.

#78 nickandemmasuncle

• 140 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Seven Costanza @ Jun 29 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paraguay is going to lose 1-0 in the most boring and predictable match in World Cup history.

#79 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7928 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Philip Jeff Frye @ Jun 29 2010, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and Arod had done a few things too. But Ronaldo did nothing for Portugal in this tournament other than score a meaningless goal late in a rout of North Korea. He did almost nothing in Euro 2008, and nothing in the qualifying for this Cup. He scored a goal in the 2006 World Cup and got Wayne Rooney expelled. And is beating England on penalties considered an achievement any more? laugh.gif

We talk a lot of about Small Sample Size on this board and 4-5 games once every four years is about as small as it gets. Other great players have managed to disappear from these tournaments too (Hello, Wayne Rooney!). But if Ronaldo wants to be considered an all-time great, instead of just the transfer payment record setter, he's got to do something someday on this stage and, so far, he's come up small. Today certainly did nothing to change that.

How do you feel about Leo Messi? Does he have to do something on this stage to become an all-time great?