Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Quarterfinals - Nazi Home 1919-1945 vs. Nazi Home 1945-present

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
158 replies to this topic

#1 Zososoxfan

• 1455 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 27 2010, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know the team much better than I do. But my sense is that Maradona wants to either match Jonas and Veron or match Otamendi and Maxi. Basically, if he plays Veron, he wants Jonas to give a bit more of an attacking option with width and is OK with the fact that Jonas isn't a real full back. But if he plays Maxi on the flank, then he wants a more stay-at-home option like Otamendi.

Just thought I'd use this as a jumping off point to start conversation. The tactical aspect of your comments makes sense, but Jonas played against Korea while Veron didn't play at all due to injury.

I LOVED the fact that Pastore played any minutes during the Mexico match because it shows faith in him and I hope that he's the first winger/wide midfield off the bench if Maxi and Di Maria start, even though I'd rather have him start.

For the lineup, I want to see:

GK - Romero - looked very shaky for the first time this tournament. Had an early scare that hit the crossbar and a couple of harmless gaffes.

D (L to R) - Heinze, Burdisso, Samuel/Demichelis, Jonas - Heinze has been impressive and with all the young guys helping out, his experience can shine instead of his slow pace hurting the team. Burdisso with another quality game, Demichelis had no major mistakes, and Otamendi showed decent defense, but also little to no offense.

M - Pastore, Mascherano, Maxi - Mascherano is an obvious choice. Maxi has shown that he fits in with this free flowing offense. He's a solid complimentary player on a star-studded team and doesn't need the ball to thrive and threaten. Pastore is my choice over di Maria for 2 reasons - 1) Di Maria has sucked and has rarely shown his ability and more importantly 2) Pastore can play a more central role and join in the attack in more ways.

F - Messi, Tevez, Higuain - What a strike force. Messi is the underachiever of the group so far. Read that sentence again and tell me that isn't just prepostorously ridiculous. Higauin has been a goal machine (hey, someone has to knock in the cheapies), Tevez scored one of the best goals of the tournament against Mexico, and Messi has just been threatening to score every game and gives everyone a lot of space to operate.

This much I know about Germany - Lahm is tremendous, he's my 2nd favorite fullback in the tournament after Maicon and he's easily top 5 in the world alongside him, Essien, and the others (Dani Alves??) Schweiny is fantastic and the team runs through him. Otil or however you spell it a menace. Klose is threatening all time WC scoring records. Podolski shows up in big games. Oh, and their defense is probably the most organized, efficient, physical, and cohesive unit in the international footballing world. Needless to say, I'll be shitting myself thinking about them for the rest of the week.

For Argentina to win this game, their defense is going to have to defend with 6 instead of the usual 5 (Masch + 4D), and either Maxi or the other wing will have to track back. I expect to see the same strategy I predicted from Mexico from the Bavarians, counter out to the wings and put the pressure on Argentina through the air. If the D can hold, I'd like to see the offense run as follows: Higuain up top in the middle doing his thang. Messi and Tevez taking turns playing up top with him and coming back to receive the ball as a CAM and be the facilitators of the offense. I'd also like the offensive mids to help out in the middle when necessary and when not serving as a target, to get wide and stretch the Germans.

All in all, I expect a sick game.

#2 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8728 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Zososoxfan @ Jun 28 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thought I'd use this as a jumping off point to start conversation. The tactical aspect of your comments makes sense, but Jonas played against Korea while Veron didn't play at all due to injury.

I LOVED the fact that Pastore played any minutes during the Mexico match because it shows faith in him and I hope that he's the first winger/wide midfield off the bench if Maxi and Di Maria start, even though I'd rather have him start.

Yes, you're right. I'm not sure why Maradona went away from Jonas. He may have seen something he didn't like or maybe he just wanted a more conservative approach against Mexico's attacking style.

It seems like the shape Argentina has been playing recently (with only Mascherano as a true holding midfielder, and without Veron) really requires the outside midfielders to compress and defend the center of the field when not in possession (as seen below). And given that Germany plays three central midfielders, this will be especially important, or else Mascherano will get overrun trying to track Oezil while also dealing with runs up the middle from Schweinsteiger and Khedira. My sense is that Maxi accommodates well to this role, but I'm not so sure about Di Maria, who seems more like a traditional winger. I don't know enough about Pastore to say whether he's better suited to this kind of position.

For Argentina to win this game, their defense is going to have to defend with 6 instead of the usual 5 (Masch + 4D), and either Maxi or the other wing will have to track back.

I think this nails it. Argentina should err on the side of being more defensive and making sure that whatever goals they concede are truly earned against an organized defense, rather than won on the counter. They have the firepower to score goals without throwing tons of players forward. I would lean toward the outside midfielders that defend well and have the tactical awareness not to get lost up the field too often. For the same reasons, I'm not convinced that Jonas is the better choice over Otamendi.

#3 Zososoxfan

• 1455 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 28 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, you're right. I'm not sure why Maradona went away from Jonas. He may have seen something he didn't like or maybe he just wanted a more conservative approach against Mexico's attacking style.

It seems like the shape Argentina has been playing recently (with only Mascherano as a true holding midfielder, and without Veron) really requires the outside midfielders to compress and defend the center of the field when not in possession (as seen below). And given that Germany plays three central midfielders, this will be especially important, or else Mascherano will get overrun trying to track Oezil while also dealing with runs up the middle from Schweinsteiger and Khedira. My sense is that Maxi accommodates well to this role, but I'm not so sure about Di Maria, who seems more like a traditional winger. I don't know enough about Pastore to say whether he's better suited to this kind of position.

I think this nails it. Argentina should err on the side of being more defensive and making sure that whatever goals they concede are truly earned against an organized defense, rather than won on the counter. They have the firepower to score goals without throwing tons of players forward. I would lean toward the outside midfielders that defend well and have the tactical awareness not to get lost up the field too often. For the same reasons, I'm not convinced that Jonas is the better choice over Otamendi.

One way to solve this problem with the midfield is to change the formation to more of what I would describe basically as a 4-2-2-2 instead of the 4-1-2-1-2 (or just as appropriately titled 4-1-2-3) that they currently play. The first formation is simple, add another holding mid, which I would presume to be either Bolatti or Veron. I don't like this idea because Mascherano can and has handled the holding MF role fine and he's good enough to cover both sides of the pitch capably. What it comes down to me then, in other words, is Pastore/Di Maria>Veron/Bolatti. Di Maria offers more offense than Pastore, but less defense, and Bolatti offers more than nothing, and by the transitive property (Bolatti>0>Veron) brings more than Veron. If I'm coaching Argy and I want to coach conservatively (which I absolutely don't), I start Otamendi over Jonas and Bolatti over one of the attacking mids (Di Maria/Maxi/Pastore). To put this another way:

Most defensive: 4-2-1-3 with Otamendi and Bolatti.

Moderate I: 4-2-1-3 with Jonas and Bolatti.

Moderate II: 4-1-2-3 with Jonas and Pastore.

Least defensive: 4-1-2-3 with Jonas and Di Maria.

Obviously, I've made my case for Moderate II, but if you choose Mod I, you keep Jonas in his FB spot, but provide Masch extra support with Bolatti. I personally think that leaving the strikers with only one true mid to attack is a bad idea (unless it's Pastore, or you put Messi in there and get Aguero or Milito up front), but it does make the team more defensive, while keeping their subs in mind to become more offensive if the situation calls for it (i.e. you don't need 2 subs to move to a significantly more offensive formation as in the first). There's obviously a million ways to do this, but I expect Argy to keep the 4-1-2-3 going and use the players that reflect their chosen risk level.

#4 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8309 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Argentina plays the quintessential argentinian system 4-3-1-2 with Messi in the position every Argentinian schoolboy dreams of, that of the enchanche, the anchor of the offense in a free flowing role behind two strikers.

The problem is that this formation doesn't provide for width while the 3 front players slack off in defense which is in contrast to most teams which really have only the striker defending with the eyes.

OTOH, thanks to Mascherano playing the holding midfield position, Ozil will not be able to exploit the extra man 4-2-3-1 gives vs 4-4-2 and you won't have the terrible lapses Terry had trying to mark him, which provided for Germany's two first goals.

The challenge for Argentina is going to be picking up Muller and Podolski and the task in that formation falls on the wingbacks. I guess that's part of the reason Maradona wanted some defensive minded full backs for the job. The next challenge is picking up Germany's full backs especially Lahm and since Messi-Tevez-Higuain don't mark that much, that might be an area of concern.

Beyond this, both teams strike me as mirror images of each other. They re both supremely gifted up front -albeit for different reasons, Germany thanks to more fluidity, Argentina thanks to loads of talent- but their defenses are question marks which haven't been challenged yet by quality opponents. Also of potential importance: Both will kill you on the counter if you give them space.

Strong offenses with questionable defenses might be a recipe for lots of goals, or they could be a recipe for the team scoring first gaining the upper hand and finishing off the opponent in the counter.

#5 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8728 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Nick Kaufman @ Jun 29 2010, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Argentina plays the quintessential argentinian system 4-3-1-2 with Messi in the position every Argentinian schoolboy dreams of, that of the enchanche, the anchor of the offense in a free flowing role behind two strikers.

The problem is that this formation doesn't provide for width while the 3 front players slack off in defense which is in contrast to most teams which really have only the striker defending with the eyes.

OTOH, thanks to Mascherano playing the holding midfield position, Ozil will not be able to exploit the extra man 4-2-3-1 gives vs 4-4-2 and you won't have the terrible lapses Terry had trying to mark him, which provided for Germany's two first goals.

I don't think this is quite right. The system is superficially the same as a traditional 4-3-1-2, but it has been strategically adapted to counter modern tactics by bringing the outside midfielders in very close to the center of the field, the subject of the discussion with Zoso. That's what is going to help them counter the extra man of a 4-2-3-1, much more than Mascherano's quality.

I agree with the rest of your post. Both teams are lethal in attack, especially on the counter and have somewhat shaky defenses, which should make for a great game.

#6 Nick Kaufman

• 8309 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

I don't think this is quite right. The system is superficially the same as a traditional 4-3-1-2, but it has been strategically adapted to counter modern tactics by bringing the outside midfielders in very close to the center of the field, the subject of the discussion with Zoso. That's what is going to help them counter the extra man of a 4-2-3-1, much more than Mascherano's quality.

Nope. As long as you move the midfielder in the CAM role, the side-midfielders move inwards to provide cohesion and compactness. The Argentinians aren't breaking new ground in doing that. That's how 4-3-1-2 has always being played. It doesn't make sense either. A defense which leaves one holding midfielder alone against two or three center midfielders while the side midfielders mark the wingers is going to be picked apart. This also doesn't make sense either in that it leaves the fullbacks without anyone to mark.

And this is not what's going to help them counter Ozil. England's 4-4-2 had Lampard-Barry marking Kedeira-Sweinsteiger. Ozil being a free flowing advanced midfielder could roam free in the middle ground between the English defense and midfield. This creates a dilemma for the centerback: He either stays put in his line which leaves Ozil free to keep the ball unchallenged and find all ways to wreak havoc, or he moves forward to mark him which creates space behind him which Ozil can attack with a pass.

In the 4-3-1-2 (and the 4-3-3) the holding midfielder keeps the opposing CAM in check without moving the defenders out of line. But again, here's the argentinian problem, in the 4-3-3 you have the wingers tracking the wingbacks. The Argentinians having 3 players being decorative in defense, or at best having one of their forwards tracking back on the weak side to provide cover are going to be challenged by overlapping backs.

Well, in theory anyway.

#7 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11154 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Paul The German Octupus likes Germany again. He's never wrong.

BC-EU--Germany-Octopus Oracle-World Cup,0126
Octopus Paul predicts German win over Argentina

BERLIN (AP) -- Octopus oracle Paul hesitated but ultimately picked Germany to win -- again -- this time over Argentina in their quarterfinal matchup at the soccer World Cup.
Paul, who rose to global fame after he correctly predicted all four of Germany's games in this year's tournament, indicated Tuesday that Saturday's game will be a tough battle.
Sea Life Aquarium spokeswoman Tanja Munzig in the western city of Oberhausen said Paul took about an hour before he approached a water glass in his aquarium containing a mussel and marked with a Germany flag. He ignored a similar glass with Argentina's flag.
Only when the oracle's organizers went to remove the glasses did Paul jump inside the German one and gulp down the mussel.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

#8 Zososoxfan

• 1455 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Nick Kaufman @ Jun 29 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. As long as you move the midfielder in the CAM role, the side-midfielders move inwards to provide cohesion and compactness. The Argentinians aren't breaking new ground in doing that. That's how 4-3-1-2 has always being played. It doesn't make sense either. A defense which leaves one holding midfielder alone against two or three center midfielders while the side midfielders mark the wingers is going to be picked apart. This also doesn't make sense either in that it leaves the fullbacks without anyone to mark.

And this is not what's going to help them counter Ozil. England's 4-4-2 had Lampard-Barry marking Kedeira-Sweinsteiger. Ozil being a free flowing advanced midfielder could roam free in the middle ground between the English defense and midfield. This creates a dilemma for the centerback: He either stays put in his line which leaves Ozil free to keep the ball unchallenged and find all ways to wreak havoc, or he moves forward to mark him which creates space behind him which Ozil can attack with a pass.

In the 4-3-1-2 (and the 4-3-3) the holding midfielder keeps the opposing CAM in check without moving the defenders out of line. But again, here's the argentinian problem, in the 4-3-3 you have the wingers tracking the wingbacks. The Argentinians having 3 players being decorative in defense, or at best having one of their forwards tracking back on the weak side to provide cover are going to be challenged by overlapping backs.

Well, in theory anyway.

I think you're both right in certain ways. What I see Argentina doing on defense is a 4-1-2-3, with the 5 holding players with clear responsibilities (FBs on wingers, or in Germany's case the outside attacking mids), the CBs on the forward(s), and Masch on Ozil, and usually Maxi tracking someone, in this case, Schweiny or Khedeira (depending on how they go up), As I think NK is saying. The problem for Argentina lies with picking up both CMs if they both attack, as they are setting up the attack and going upfield behind Ozil. I guess at this point, it's pertinent to agree on Germany's attack structure. My understanding is that it's a 4-2-3-1, with Klose up front, Ozil behind him as a CAM/Holding striker, Muller and Podolski on the wings, with Schweiny and Khedeira playing like dual CMs or perhaps a CM and a DM.

So, if only one of Schweiny/Khedeira is getting into the attack, I think Argentina should be fine. As I said before, CBs marking Klose and helping out on any other player who is attacking centrally (could be Muller, Ozil, or Podolski), the FBs on the wing players, and Masch on Ozil. I think Argentina has a potential problem in that Schweiny's offense>Maxi/Di Maria's defense. So, even if Argentina makes a 2nd mid player more defensive (either in a 4-2-2-2 with the other holding mid being Veron/Bolatti or a 4-1-1-2-2 with either Veron/Bolatti/Pastore), there's no guarantee that they can match up.

Which, mercifully brings me to my conclusion - these are both good teams and they should play to their strengths (i.e. not change their formations, but their personnel to match up). If Argentina keeps their formation, I'd like to see Jonas either as a FB with Maxi and Pastore (with Di Maria likely getting the nod ahead of Pastore), Jonas at FB with Bolatti in the middle to help Masch, so Jonas can keep heading upfield (shades of a 4-2-3-1 with Tevez and the 3rd most-attacking mid pushing wide and Messi in the CAM/withdrawn striker role), or Otamendi at FB with Maxi and Pastore/Di Maria in MF. If Argentina tries a more defensive alignment, I think it plays into Germany's hands in that they have a more naturally defensive formation because of Schweiny/Khedeira that can absorb a slightly diluted Argentina attack. However, if Argentina keeps their formation and puts pressure on the Germans early, it will force them to play more conservatively, specifically the DMF, and make the match proceed along Argentina's terms instead of Germany's.

#9 Nick Kaufman

• 8309 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

What is so hard to understand? The full backs get Podolski/Mueller. Mascherano gets Ozil. Maxi and Di Maria get Kadeira and Schweisteiger. One of the centerbacks gets Klose, while the other one remains free, though it needs to be said, since the Argentinians play zone, they aren't supposed to mark any player, they just match up that way theoretically.

The problem is with Germany's full backs. Let's say germany attacks from the right flank with Lahm overlapping. In that case, the left full back and Di Maria mark the german right winger and full back, while one of the attackers need to help with the wing back. However, Mascerano needs to keep an eye on Kadeira now and Maxi on Ozil. Scweinsteiger or whoever german remains free on the other flank now becomes the responsibility of either Tevez or Higuain who needs to go to the weak side to defend. That's where the problems arise.

In the shift to guarding the flank, on the forwards marking the full backs and the weak side and when Germany changes the point of attack from one flank to the other.

All of this in theory of course, because many things can happen.

#10 Zososoxfan

• 1455 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Nick Kaufman @ Jun 29 2010, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is so hard to understand? The full backs get Podolski/Mueller. Mascherano gets Ozil. Maxi and Di Maria get Kadeira and Schweisteiger. One of the centerbacks gets Klose, while the other one remains free, though it needs to be said, since the Argentinians play zone, they aren't supposed to mark any player, they just match up that way theoretically.

The problem is with Germany's full backs. Let's say germany attacks from the right flank with Lahm overlapping. In that case, the left full back and Di Maria mark the german right winger and full back, while one of the attackers need to help with the wing back. However, Mascerano needs to keep an eye on Kadeira now and Maxi on Ozil. Scweinsteiger or whoever german remains free on the other flank now becomes the responsibility of either Tevez or Higuain who needs to go to the weak side to defend. That's where the problems arise.

In the shift to guarding the flank, on the forwards marking the full backs and the weak side and when Germany changes the point of attack from one flank to the other.

All of this in theory of course, because many things can happen.

Right, but I'm not expecting Germany to attack with Klose, Podolski, Ozil, Muller, Schweiny, Khadeira, and Lahm all at once - ever. I highly doubt that 3 of Schweiny/Khadeira/Lahm/other FB get into a single attack at the same time. If they do, by all means, I'd take my chance defending with 6 or 7 and hit them on the counter.

Think about it, if Argentina goes on the attack and Jonas is involved, leaving the 3 defenders and Mascherano back, that means Germany has to deal with the 3 forwards, 2 mids, and Jonas and that means Schweiny, Khadeira, and the 4 defenders all have a specific player to mark, creating a similar mismatch.

What it comes down is that these teams are going to take turns attacking and if a FB or MF gets caught upfield, both have the ability to counter quickly and effectively. What we're discussing in the thread are the nuanced tactical changes that each team could take to both counter the other team's offensive strategy and maintain the pressure on offense (e.g. the Otamendi vs. Jonas argument for Argentina). That's why it's a great matchup.

Can't wait for Ned vs. Brazil, too.

#11 Zososoxfan

• 1455 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

But the midfielder praised Argentina as a team, saying the squad coached by Diego Maradona was better in "every sector" than the team Germany beat four years ago.

Schweinsteiger singled out veteran Juan Sebastian Veron.

"He has played very strongly here. I have been impressed," Schweinsteiger said.

If I was a German player, I'd advocate for Veron, too. Kind of a like a Dutchman asking for more Kaka. I don't remember what Argentina was calling for in 2006, but I'm sure they were right. As for the tussle at halftime against Mexico, that's misdirected hostility because that was the ref's fault, not Tevez'.

http://soccernet.esp...o...5901&ver=us

#12 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1908 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

Injury news: Lionel Messi has flu-like symptoms and is not training (link), Mesut Ozil also stayed in bed today, and Lukas Podolski has a "muscle problem" and has missed 1.5 days (link). Both sides claim these players will be fit on Saturday.

#13 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Err.. this will also be a good match. Just the wrong thread.

Edited by SydneySox, 02 July 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#14 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

This game is going to be Naz-tastic.

#15 SoxFanInPdx

• 1669 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

Been waiting for this one all week. Rooting for Germany because I have German blood. Doesn't hurt that it's been a joy to watch these young players play this kind of style. Ozil and Podolski have been animals so far. Argentina is just loaded beyond loaded. Not much to be said that hasn't already been said. Think this one will be a classic.

#16 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16372 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

It's ironic that you root for Germany because of ancestry and you like watching two guys who aren't ethnically German. smile.gif

#17 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Haha! Germans are nazis!

#18 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7942 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Question for people who think they know more than me (mainly Sydney).

Can an outfield player be substituted for a keeper? The reason I ask is Hans Jorg Butt was taking the penalties for Bayern before Robben. I know Germans are supposed to be good at penalties, but I could see a situation where the coach would want him on the field to take one if nothing is on in the last minute or so of ET.

#19 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

I'm waiting for the battle between Maradona and Schweinsteiger to include "...but you will blow me first".

#20 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7862 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (ZompFoShomp @ Jul 3 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question for people who think they know more than me (mainly Sydney).

Can an outfield player be substituted for a keeper? The reason I ask is Jensen Butt was taking the penalties for Bayern before Robben. I know Germans are supposed to be good at penalties, but I could see a situation where the coach would want him on the field to take one if nothing is on in the last minute or so of ET.
For this WC I don't think so. North Korea named one of their attackers, Kim Myong-Won, as their third keeper because he's good a stopping penalties, but after they submitted their roster, FIFA told them players named to GK can only play GK

http://theoriginalwi...er-roster-snafu
North Korea have been told by Fifa that Kim Myong-won will only be able to play as a goalkeeper in the World Cup and not in his usual role as a striker. The North Korean coach, Kim Jong-hun decided to name only two regular goalkeepers in his squad with Kim, who plays for Amrokgang, as the back-up.

It was seen as an attempt to boost the nationís attacking options as they prepare to face Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal in Group G.

However, the move has backfired spectacularly after Fifa confirmed that Kim will only be allowed to play as a goalkeeper, not as an outfield player. Unless there is an injury, no changes will be permitted to their final squad.

#21 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Jul 3 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha! Germans are nazis!

It's FIFA anti-racism day today. This would have been nice at, say, the 1936 Olympics, no?

#22 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Great pass to the ref, Klose.

#23 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

1-0!

#24 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

<gulp>

#25 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Niiice.

#26 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9281 posts

Well that was quick. Fuck.

#27 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

Nice reactions there.

#28 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Great goal by the ballboy!

I wish he'd come up with some kind of ballboy celebration then just for Maradonna.

#29 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7942 posts

Keeper could have had it. But man, this German team is fun to watch.

#30 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Wunderbar!

Now we'll see what Maradona and his team are made of. Also, Germnay will get a lot more space behind the back line. Should be a fun one to watch (and will the Argies lose their shit, again?).

#31 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3189 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Do these announcers sound like they're rooting for Argentina? Not that I care but still -- "There's the first goal! And Argentina is behind!"

Edited by Gene Conleys Plane Ticket, 03 July 2010 - 09:05 AM.

#32 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 16811 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Argentina looks RATTLED AS FUCK

#33 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

By the by... they may say many things about the Germans. Many things. Many of them true. They hate jews. They hate gypsies. They hate good taste.

But you know what?

What they'll always say is, those cats know how to design uniforms.

These black numbers are quite spicy. My favourite part? The really super secret X on the backs of the players... you only see it in the right light or if you have Aryan blood coursing through your veins.

Very cool.

#34 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

I'm willing to bet that the English announcers have no rooting interest considering both Argentina and Germany are pretty strong rivals of England.

They've been announcing like that all tournament.

#35 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Argentina being dominated early. Can't even muster a half-decent possession.

#36 Nick Kaufman

• 8309 posts

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Jul 3 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These black numbers are quite spicy. My favourite part? The really super secret X on the backs of the players... you only see it in the right light or if you have Aryan blood coursing through your veins.

Very cool.

That's in virtually every other Adidas uni. It's not an X it's like a paratrooper's gear.

but those unis are excellent.

#37 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (URI @ Jul 4 2010, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm willing to bet that the English announcers have no rooting interest considering both Argentina and Germany are pretty strong rivals of England.

They've been announcing like that all tournament.

Yes, the Falklands is very comparable to those two little skirmishes with Germany.

#38 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7942 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Fantastic start to this game.

This is how football should be played.

#39 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Nick Kaufman @ Jul 4 2010, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's in virtually every other Adidas uni. It's not an X it's like a paratrooper's gear.

O R they?

#40 Nick Kaufman

• 8309 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Jul 3 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O R they?

Yes, most sport gear companies work from 3-4 templates on which they add variations. It was in the French blue unis for example. And the Spanish second unis.

#41 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

#42 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Jul 3 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the Falklands is very comparable to those two little skirmishes with Germany.

I'm willing to bet Martin Tyler cares more about Beckham's red card in 98 than the Falklands/WWI/WWII.

#43 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I'm willing to bet that I'll stab myself if Martin Tyler mentions how many fucking goals Germany put past Australia another forty times.

#44 The Belly Itcher

• 2647 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Germany's passing has been so crisp all tournament.

#45 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (SydneySox @ Jul 3 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm willing to bet that I'll stab myself if Martin Tyler mentions how many fucking goals Germany put past Australia another forty times.

THEN I HOPE HE DOES IT 230983049 MORE TIMES FUCKFACE.

#46 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

It's 1-0 to Germany.

#47 teddykgb

• 3454 posts

Germany with a fantastic start, Argentina looks rattled and players like di Maria are trying to do too much alone on the counter chances, needs to keep the ball moving

And arg already appealing to the refs far too much

Edited by teddykgb, 03 July 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#48 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

sad.gif

#49 URI

• 9963 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Germany is winning 1-0

#50 PseuFighter

• Silent scenester