Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

US Soccer: Where do we go from here?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#101 NatetheGreat

• 574 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

I think Jozy has to be the key. With Rossi having chosen to go not play for Italy and Davies likely wrecking his career, our options at striker are disturbingly thin. The US was absolutely awful at manufacturing goals this WC and the major reason is that all of our scoring is coming from midfield--Donovan, Dempsey and Bradley are far and away our best finishers, and none of them is a true forward(Dempsey can fulfil the role alright, but he'll be 31 next WC). That has to change if we want to have any kind of chance at scoring on good defenses.

Jozy absolutely has the physical tools. But he needs to learn that "playing good defense/ripping balls away from defenders" and "passing to other attackers", while useful skills, are simply not going to cut it when we don't have a primary finisher. If we are to have any hope in 2014, he cannot become an American Emile Heskey. He absolutely has the ability to cause havoc and create opportunities with his strength and athleticism. What he needs to do is learn to finish with some sort of reliability.

If he gets that, I think it all falls into place--our midfield will likely still be very strong in 2014, and our keeper play will likely be decent to good as well. The defense won't be great, but when has it ever been? If we can control the middle of the field and finish our opportunities, we will be dangerous.

#102 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

After watching a lot of incredible futbol today and reading up on the Bill Simmons thread, I had a thought. While people were arguing whether soccer is a niche sport in the US and whether it can become more than it currently is, one of the arguments repeated several times against soccer gaining popularity was the diving issue.

Ghana and Uruguay played a CLASSIC match today. The ending rivals the Music City Miracle, the snow game against the Raiders for the Pats, and several other non-finals endings in playoff history. Epic, really. That being said, the amount of flopping, acting, and general bitching was really frustrating to see.

The US, as someone stated in the Simmons thread, loves American Football, MMA, and generally speaking, people getting the crap kicked out of each other. The US soccer team in this WC had incredible resiliency, but also did minimal diving and was a scrappy bunch.

All I'm trying to get at is that maybe for soccer to gain popularity in this country, we need major success - both as a team in tournaments like the WC and individual success with players going to Europe and eventually thriving in an improved MLS, coupled with our own style that American fans can relate to.

Americans don't appreciate pussies and primadonnas. For soccer to take off in the US, it might not be enough to have international success, both for the team and individuals. We might have to define the sport on our own terms - physical, relentless, unforgiving, and not being soft.

#103 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

So then: Dave Bassett for MNT manager!

#104 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,131 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Zososoxfan @ Jul 2 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Americans don't appreciate pussies and primadonnas.

Most popular American player; Landon Donovan. Pussy and primadonna pur sang.

#105 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,594 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jul 3 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come here and say that to my face, big boy.

#106 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jul 3 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's kinda my point - they got knocked out by a beatable Ghana team.

#107 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,594 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Zososoxfan @ Jul 3 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's kinda my point - they got knocked out by a beatable Ghana team.

They could have won, but let's not act like the US had an unmitigated failure. Ghana do not suck.

#108 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jul 3 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially amusing after watching your boy Arjen Robben play-act, bitch, and prance his way through the quarterfinal. He made Cuauhtemoc look like a Corinthian.

#109 Zososoxfan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Jul 3 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They could have won, but let's not act like the US had an unmitigated failure. Ghana do not suck.

Strawman. Where did I ever say Ghana sucked? I'm talking about the popularity of soccer in the US and how the USMNT and the individuals who are on it, might have to not only succeed on the international stage, but also play a brand of soccer the typical American can relate to and be proud of to make it more popular than it is today.

#110 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,392 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

It's not about pussies and primadonas. Americans don't like dishonesty. And that's fine. Neither many nations. And as much as I d like to see rules that take diving away, America becoming more powerful in soccer will influence and be influenced by the game. THat's the way it goes.

#111 Paradigm

• juju all over his tits

• 5,931 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

On the subject of Klinsmann running a national program, here's a great article/interview in the BBC.

How England can learn lessons from German revolution

We held workshops with German coaches and players, asking them to write down on flip charts three things: how they wanted to play, how they wanted to be seen to be playing by the rest of the world and how the German public wanted to see us playing.

If we could define all of that, we thought we could lay out how we wanted to work and then, from there, sort out the training and paperwork behind the scenes.

What we ended up with amounted to 10 or 12 bullet points laying out our proposals. We then announced that it was our intention to play a fast-paced game, an attacking game and a proactive game.

That last term was something the Germans did not really like because they did not really understand what proactive meant. We just told them it meant we did not react to what our opponents did, we played the way that was right for us.

Once we had done all that, we created a curriculum for German football and presented it to the Bundesliga and DFB boards.

At that point, I told them I did not have the time to implement the strategy at all levels because I only had two years to prepare for the World Cup, so I asked for Germany's Under-21 team to adopt it and that was it.

I brought in a former international team-mate of mine, Dieter Eilts, to run the under-21s and said they had to play the same way as the senior team because they would be a feeder for it.

For example, we told the Bundesliga teams and coaches that their players needed to be fitter to play the kind of football we wanted to play.

That meant carrying out fitness tests every three months, which did not go down well with some clubs because I was able to prove that some of them were training their players properly and others were not.

#112 EEIcaller

• 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 26 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say it, but this US team with Rossi and, especially, Subotic would have been a lot different. A second striker with some creativity and goal-scoring ability and a decent center back are exactly what we are lacking.

or a healthy Davies and Gooch