Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Day 14: PAR-NZL, SLO-ITA, CMR-NL, DEN-JPN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

#151 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Robben showing no signs of rust. Netherlands' attack is sooo much more dynamic with him back.

#152 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

That was Coulibaly placing Japan's corner kick? Surprised he didn't try to whistle offside during the kick.

#153 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1,556 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Where is the freaking whistle?

#154 SoxFanDK

• 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Congrats to Japan! The better team won, no doubt. I wish Denmark had made a better showing, but at least it's only 4 years until we can redeem ourselves....IF they qualify, of course emot-smithicide.gif

#155 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (SilasCL @ Jun 24 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Danish keeper just not very good? His instincts certainly failed him on the first goal. The second free kick was placed perfectly, but it wasn't hit all that hard and the keeper was again out of position on the wrong side of goal.

I could be wrong, but to me, it looked like the ball actually knuckled and changed direction on the first goal. I thought it was bending towards the shooter's right and then halfway to the goal it just cut back to the left. If this is the case, I don't think it was instincts that failed him. I think he read the ball correctly but by the time it changed directions, there simply wasn't time for a ball as well placed as Honda's was.

#156 jimc

• 512 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (ForceAtHome @ Jun 24 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could be wrong, but to me, it looked like the ball actually knuckled and changed direction on the first goal. I thought it was bending towards the shooter's right and then halfway to the goal it just cut back to the left. If this is the case, I don't think it was instincts that failed him. I think he read the ball correctly but by the time it changed directions, there simply wasn't time for a ball as well placed as Honda's was.

It was that step to his left that did him in though. His instinct was to cheat towards that side, but Honda was putting it the other way. The knuckling was secondary to him not reaching it.

#157 nickandemmasuncle

• 147 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (RedOctober3829 @ Jun 24 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the Guidos around here are in mourning. Less hair gel and flopping and more training fellas!!!!!

Yay, casual bigotry. And oh, hey, did you know that the Italians flop?

I mean, if you look back in history, you'll find that the Germans very obviously colluded with an opponent to fix a result that screwed another team out of advancement and also came closer than anyone else to causing an on-field fatality (through dirty play) in the WC. You'll also find that as recently as 4 years ago, English players were guilty of stomping an opposing player on the crotch and yanking an opponent's dreadlocks for leverage on a header. And you'll also find that (gasp) players of all ethnicities, including those that tend not to have light tan skin, have been known to dive.

But whatever, because t-e-h Italianz are flopperz. And oh noes, they tend to put a lot of emphasis defense and keeping other teams from scoring on them. No class!!11one(-e^pi*i)

Ridiculous, really, considering how much the Italian press likes the US team. Crap quality of this year's Azzurri notwithstanding, the US (and lots of other teams) could stand to take a page out of their book in terms of pragmatism and knowing how to get results.

Edited by nickandemmasuncle, 25 June 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#158 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,149 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

Someone got all fired up during GTL time.

No one would care about the Italians diving if they played like they did in the last 10 minutes of that game against Slovakia...you know, more interested in trying to score than writhing around on the ground trying to steal calls. I mean, even defending vs Slovakia, Chiellini* hit the ground with no contact as the ball rolled beyond the endline for a corner kick and then begging for the call. Other teams do it, but many other teams don't make it a key part of their team strategy.

The only player on that team I don't think is completely unseemly is Cannavaro.

You want the world to stop being mean to poor Italy? Then stop bitching about people saying how the Italians dive so much and stop diving so much. Stop making the Jersey Shore reality rather than stereotype. And stop whining about bigotry. I mean, holy shit, Italians love whining about that too.

*Might not have been Chiellini.

#159 nickandemmasuncle

• 147 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 25 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Other teams do it, but many other teams aren't nearly as good at it.

Fixored

You want the world to stop being mean to poor Italy? Then stop bitching about people saying how the Italians dive so much and stop diving so much.

Let me spell it out for you, broseph. Even if we accept that Italians dive more than other nationalities (and that's debatable), why do so many people find that more objectionable than the violent thuggery/match-fixing/cheating/general assholishness that other national teams (read: England and Germany, whom everyone seems to have a boner for) have engaged in throughout the years? When I see some db on a message board ripping into the Italian NT for diving while at the same time bitching about "Guidos", it gives me some clues as to what the answer is.

Stop making the Jersey Shore reality rather than stereotype.

Dude, I weigh 155 lb soaking wet, don't have a drop of gel in my hair, and am whiter than a John Mayer concert at Pottery Barn. If I can blow myself for a second, I have degrees from MIT and Columbia (despite the fact that I was born to an immigrant millworker and secretary). I'm doing my part. I can't control what Pauly D and The Situation do.

Christ, I don't begrudge all Irish people just because I have to deal with a substantial and highly visible population of retarded, provincial, goatee-sporting, Manny-booing, House-of-Pain reject Massholes every day. People who do the equivalent with Italians are knuckleheads, and I'll call them out until I'm dead.

#160 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,149 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

Ha! You're a bigot!

Now shut up about how mean everyone else is to your precious boot. I swear to God every time something negative is said about Italy, you have people like you and Sal Paolantonio saying how awful the Sopranos are or how it's unfair we don't like see Italy dive and look for calls rather than play soccer.

Yes other teams dive and get shit on for it. And America's soccer fandom is young enough to have missed the German-Argentine match fix, and thought that Christano Ronaldo deserved to get his balls stomped by Rooney.

"It's all in the game, right" is a crappy reason to expect people to stop crapping on il doucho di tutti douchi. Thank God they are watching the rest of the tournament from home unlike the rest of us good God fearing folk. Tan skin or not.

Hop on your Vespa, il discotheque is about to open. And rather than blow yourself, you can blow me you over credentialed whiner.

I'm just bored. I don't have any quarrel with you or your olive-skinned brethren. Except Sal Pal...he sucks.