Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Round of 16: England vs Germany

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
237 replies to this topic

#1 ossie schreckengost

• 2482 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

the match-up of my dreams.

these are the days that football is all about.

#2 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8748 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

Some reports are saying that Schweinsteiger is doubtful to play, having picked up a hamstring injury. That would be too bad.

I don't know how far they will go, but this might be the most entertaining German world cup team since 1994.

#3 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 23 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... the most entertaining German world cup team since 1994.

Ha! Talking about a contradictio in terminus.

Saw the Germany - Ghana match today and was shocked by how mediocre Germany looked. Or the lack of intelligent play by Ghana after the 1-0. The US should be able to beat them.

As far as England - Germany goes; fuckin awesome! Sunday morning, Phoenix Landing?!*

The good: one of them goes home.
The bad: one of them does not

Second round is shaping up nicely. Tomorrow's and Friday's fixtures should spit out Holland - Italy and Spain - Portugal / Brazil match-ups.

(* EDIT - wait - no beers before 11AM in Cambridge, right? Does Boston have the same retarded law?)

Edited by Tony the Pony, 23 June 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#4 ossie schreckengost

• 2482 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 23 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
entertaining German world cup team

thats a contradictio in adiecto, as tony tried to say.

ve are either entertaining, or a world cup team. not to speak of your back handed compliment "1994", dear snowplow, when we did perish vs some "bulgaria" under the lash of berti...

im pretty sure schweini is out for the england game (all i know is, hes really hurting, hamstringwise, ve call it "oberschenkelzerrung", and schwein is a good soldier, "schweiner 1 - the iron cross" - directed by sam "kaiser" peckinbauer". he ist not one to fake it, nor trying to relieve himself of his obligations to the deutschland. hes really hurting, and hes out).

but even without schweini we are more than able to defeat the ingerlund. our new schweini had a cameo tonight, toni kroos. it all will work out perfectly. l as long as our beloved volatile jogi wonte ever try to bring that dreaded "gomez" into the mix.

vs the engerland in midfield it will toni kroos holding alongside khedira, and supermesut zil with mller 2.0 will care for the offense, and up front id love to have - but jogi wont play - klose-but not klose enough - and cacau.
but jogi will play poldi instead of cacau, in that treasured role of the daft dynamo on the left wing. the guy whos looking dangerous, and where the jabulani goes to die.

im glad nils is back. an old european mind to an increasingly new-worldish tournament.

#5 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2819 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jun 23 2010, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as England - Germany goes; fuckin awesome! Sunday morning, Phoenix Landing?!*

(* EDIT - wait - no beers before 11AM in Cambridge, right? Does Boston have the same retarded law?)

The Phoenix Landing will be a mess, there's a better spot nearby. It filled up with overflow from the Phoenix Landing this morning. I was drinking pints at 9am, but the state law may be no beer on sunday before 11.

#6 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (ossie schreckengost @ Jun 24 2010, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats a contradictio in adiecto, as tony tried to say.

What the fuck is the difference between a contradictio in adjecto and a contradictio in terminis?

...as tony tried to say...

What tony tried to say is he has been shocked by how scheissse Germany has looked. Ghana had 3x more football in their team, yet had no fuckin idea what to do when they were behind. The US has a very good chance against them, as they do against the winner of the South Korea - Uruguay match-up.

Holland has looked scheisse, too. First half against Denmark was crap, the second marginally better. The match against Japan was a bore. So they win twice... and?! Next up probably the spaghetti turks and we all know how that will play out: 0-0 penalties and Italy advancing. I'm getting more and more geared up for a Germany - Spaghetti turks final

#7 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Dummy Hoy @ Jun 24 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Phoenix Landing will be a mess, there's a better spot nearby. It filled up with overflow from the Phoenix Landing this morning. I was drinking pints at 9am, but the state law may be no beer on sunday before 11.

So we go to that German place in downtown, Jacob Wirth, but I'm sure they'll be closed, ha ha

#8 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (ossie schreckengost @ Jun 24 2010, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im glad nils is back. an old european mind to an increasingly new-worldish tournament.

Just read up a ittle on what has transpired lately. Unbefuckinleavable.

Here's a messageboard filled with people that just do not see that Bocanegra committed a foul against Pesnik. It does not matter much what other defenders do against other attackers at an attacking set play - you commit an offensive foul within 10 feet of the referee you will get called for it.

If you can't see that foul, you can't talk football.

It is as easy as that.

Of course, the overall level of retardedness was illustrated well by this guy butting in with a question when a goalkeeper can play a ball with his hands, and when with his feet or something like that. And by that fucktard cockmonkey cunt of a JohnMD or whatever his name is mentioning a failure to cover oneself in glory. What a fuckin tool. He's been one of the mainstay jokers of SoSH in every fuckin forum he has posted in and now he's found his way to the football section as well.

By then, I had clicked on the back button. What a clusterfuck of fuck.

#9 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16374 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jun 24 2010, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a messageboard filled with people that just do not see that Bocanegra committed a foul against Pesnik. It does not matter much what other defenders do against other attackers at an attacking set play - you commit an offensive foul within 10 feet of the referee you will get called for it.

It is as easy as that.

Of course, the overall level of retardedness was illustrated well by this guy butting in with a question when a goalkeeper can play a ball with his hands, and when with his feet or something like that. And by that fucktard cockmonkey cunt of a JohnMD or whatever his name is mentioning a failure to cover oneself in glory. What a fuckin tool. He's been one of the mainstay jokers of SoSH in every fuckin forum he has posted in and now he's found his way to the football section as well.

Maybe because Pesnik had Bocanegra in a headlock?

#10 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11743 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jun 24 2010, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is as easy as that.

Except multiple media reports say the FIFA report has the foul called on Edu. So not even the referee agrees with you.

Give up this pathetic hobby horse. You're starting to sound like a crank.

#11 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16095 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jun 24 2010, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Coulibaly was relieved of his World Cup refereeing duties because he was making good calls? Gotcha.

#12 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8529 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (DLew On Roids @ Jun 24 2010, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except multiple media reports say the FIFA report has the foul called on Edu. So not even the referee agrees with you.

Give up this pathetic hobby horse. You're starting to sound like a crank.

starting to?

#13 Joe D Reid

• 2594 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

Look, it's over, the US is through to the knockout round, and this is a thread about England v. Germany.

I recognize that I fanned the flames on this, and so probably am a bit lacking in moral authority, but it would clearly be best if everybody stopped talking about USA-SVN so that we can talk about the games going forward. Let's all pick a new pointless argument to be dildos about.

Edited by Joe D Reid, 24 June 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#14 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Joe D Reid @ Jun 24 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look, it's over, the US is through to the knockout round, and this is a thread about England v. Germany.

OK.

I think Germany beats England silly. 2-0 on the scoreboard but not really that close.

#15 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 13746 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

I think England's experience, FINALLY, comes into play. Germany is young, young, young and at some point - missing Schweigensteiger and Ballack - will bite the kids in the ass. Ozil has been mighty impressive in each match, but Muller has disappeared since pounding the Aussies and Podolski/Klose/Lamm are the only "vets" on the field. Meanwhile, England might be without Rooney and that might, MIGHT, be a plus for them, as they can legitmately play Gerrard up front (where he's a better fit in the role Capello wants Rooney to play anyhow) and allow Lampard to own the middle third. Milner plays another game like he did against Slovenia and England could - with competent keeping - be a 2-0 victor.

#16 Zososoxfan

• 1456 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Jun 24 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK.

I think Germany beats England silly. 2-0 on the scoreboard but not really that close.

I happen to think the EPL's exposure in the US and across the globe, tends to inflate English players' perceived talent. They're clearly a footballing power and players like Rooney (despite his form this tournament) and a few others are world class, but the fact that everyone knows the names creates a bias.

#17 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3338 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Joe D Reid @ Jun 24 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recognize that I fanned the flames on this, and so probably am a bit lacking in moral authority, but it would clearly be best if everybody stopped talking about USA-SVN so that we can talk about the games going forward. Let's all pick a new pointless argument to be dildos about.

I hate dildos.

Oh wait...not the right thing to be a dildo about, sorry.

#18 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11743 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (soxfan121 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think England's experience, FINALLY, comes into play. Germany is young, young, young and at some point - missing Schweigensteiger and Ballack - will bite the kids in the ass.

Never mind the Ballacks.

#19 AusTexSoxFan

• 1994 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

Going out on a limb here but I say that Germany wins in PKs.

#20 EastCoasterOutWest

• 3729 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Tony the Pony @ Jun 23 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where was this when I was expressing my dislike for watching football with the "every four years" crowd of US fans?

Back on topic, this match looks so much better in name than in reality. Both teams have limped into Round 2 (minus Germany's mighty start against Australia). England definitely has the experience edge, but neither team has one player who is grabbing their team by the kit and pulling them forward. England look in disarray and Germany look complacent.

This could easily play into a tie/PKs. John Terry should start working on his balance now.

#21 Apisith

• 1151 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

I think the Germans send the English packing here with a 2-1 win. I hope Ozil shows Lampard and Gerrard how to play the AMC role in international football, something the latter two have been unable to do for England.

#22 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7565 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

So just summing up: SoxFan is the only one who gives the nod to England, on a count of "experience." Everybody else sees Germany. I'm with everybody else.

Personally, I can think of many more teams in the WC who were too old to succeed rather than too young.

#23 Homa04

• 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm pretty sure that Schweinsteiger will play. He may sit if it were a Bundesliga match but not in the WC if there is any way he could play. All the reports are probably nothing more than the team being careful.

As far as experience goes. There a quite a lot of German players with experience. Mertesacker, Friederich, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Podolski and Klose all have more than ample experience. Each one hundreds of games in the Bundesliga and dozens for the NT (in several major tournaments, too) or in European competitions. Even most of the young players played already roughly at least three Bundesliga seasons (zil and Khedira have each ca 90 games or so, Neuer 120) and they all played in the European club competitions, too.

As far as experience for semifinals or finals in major international tournaments goes, the German team obviously crashes England. wink.gif

Of course Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc have probably more experience but it doesnt really matter at some point if you played 200 professional games or 400 or 800.

I guess Germany will win the match. Not so much because of the more talented team but because they look the more cohesive team. England most of the time just looked like a bunch of player just thrown on the pitch to play. Objectivly its probably a coin toss and most analysis of the match are worthless.

#24 jimc

• 499 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

I know England's been poor so far, but Ghana caught the German defense flat-footed once too often for my taste. Hopefully they can patch that up a bit.

I also hope Schweinsteiger doesn't try to play too hurt, and that Podolski pulls his head out of his ass.

#25 Vinho Tinto

• 3645 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I'm going with England 4 - Germany 2 and John Terry will declare himself man of the match.

#26 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7565 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Vinho Tinto @ Jun 24 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going with England 4 - Germany 2 and John Terry will declare himself man of the match.

England don't have to win for this to happen.

#27 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11163 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Paul The German Octupus says Germany wins. Nuff said.

STORYLINE
A two-year-old octopus oracle - born in England, but raised in Germany - has predicted a German win over England in Sunday's FIFA World Cup game.

Sea Life Aquarium's spokeswoman Tanja Munzig says the mollusc chose a mussel out of a water glass marked with the German flag over a mussel in a glass with the English Saint George's Cross.

Germany's national team faces England in a much-anticipated round of 16 clash in South Africa.

Munzig said on Friday that Paul, who lives in the western city of Oberhausen, has proven to be a reliable oracle in the past - he predicted Germany's recent World Cup wins over Australia and Ghana and its loss to Serbia.

#28 ossie schreckengost

• 2482 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

im oscillating wildly between shitting my pants and blind optimism. im so looking forward to this game. england vs germany is still the apogee of football.

#29 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2000 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (ossie schreckengost @ Jun 27 2010, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im oscillating wildly between shitting my pants and blind optimism. im so looking forward to this game. england vs germany is still the apogee of football.

Ditto on all counts....except in the opposite direction for me. Let's just hope for a good match that doesn't come down to PKs!

Also, this article is funny:
In case you missed England's opening-round travails, here's our World Cup story so far: We are lackluster. Our team was booed off after a turgid second-game tie against the mighty Desert Foxes of Algeria. Don Fabio, our Italian coaching mastermind, appeared to buckle briefly only to recover when the opportunity to brutally repress a one-man coup fomented by a deluded former captain materialized. One scrappy, crappy win against the powerhouse Green Dragons of Slovenia changed everything. Jermain Defoe's shinned-in goal catalyzed a tabloid mood swing, from doomsday to delirious. A nation believes once more. The Cup is as good as ours.

And now, enter, stage right, England's No. 1 foe: the Germans. Cue English jingoistic saber-rattling. A posturing born of keen awareness that in this matchup, Deutschland has most definitely been ber, ber alles. For the English in this fixture, resistance has largely proved futile.

#30 cjdmadcow

• 1221 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Germany v England line-ups:

Germany: 1-Manuel Neuer; 16-Philipp Lahm, 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 20-Jerome Boateng, 13-Thomas Mueller, 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 10-Lukas Podolski, 8-Mesut Ozil, 11-Miroslav Klose.

England: 1-David James; 2-Glen Johnson, 15-Matthew Upson, 6-John Terry, 3-Ashley Cole; 16-James Milner, 4-Steven Gerrard, 8-Frank Lampard, 14-Gareth Barry; 19-Jermain Defoe, 10-Wayne Rooney.

Referee: Jorge Larrionda (Uruguay).

#31 UnfrozenCavemanGrebeck

• 218 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

ESPN3 is blocked at my office and I will be here for most of the first half. Are there any other streaming feeds of this?

#32 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (UnfrozenCavemanGrebeck @ Jun 27 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ESPN3 is blocked at my office and I will be here for most of the first half. Are there any other streaming feeds of this?

atdhe.net

#33 UnfrozenCavemanGrebeck

• 218 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Ahriman @ Jun 27 2010, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
atdhe.net

Thanks! I always forget that one.

#34 ElUno20

• 1425 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Happy to see defoe starting. I just hope Rooney took his five hour energy

#35 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8309 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Sorry Ossie, my traditional anglophilia overrules my sympathy of Germany, even though it's tested by the pathetic football they play.

Safest bet of the game: A BOREFEST!

#36 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8309 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

#37 RedSoxandBlueStripes

• 210 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Here's the thing about the germans. Fuck 'em.

#38 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Ozil is a terror.

#39 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16095 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

I am very torn here, I really can't get any gumption up to root for either team.

#40 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11163 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (johnmd20 @ Jun 27 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am very torn here, I really can't get any gumption up to root for either team.

This will get you in the mood: http://www.badgerbad....com/footy.html

#41 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11163 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Terry caught napping. Looked like a goal the US gives up all the time.

#42 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Klose finds the magic once again.

#43 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 7945 posts

Criminal defending by England.

#44 Arroyo Con Frijoles

• 340 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Not entirely dissimilar from the goal we conceded yesterday. Ugly.

#45 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6425 posts

Christ England have been shite this world cup. I mean really shite.

#46 Zososoxfan

• 1456 posts

Totally embarrassing defending. What a sham (no E on purpose), England.

#47 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16095 posts

That is how you finish a scoring chance without just trying to get a penalty.

#48 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

#49 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16095 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Nice shot Rooney, if you're trying to send a ball out of the stadium.

#50 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

England look disoriented.