Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Day 11 Game Thread: POR-PRK, CHI-SUI, ESP-HON

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#51 Joe D Reid

• 2600 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

On radio, Tommy Smythe keeps referring to the crowd as doing "the Mexican wave" around the stadium. At the risk of opening this up to a series of bad ethnic jokes, what the hell is he talking about? Did Mexico invent the wave? Or does Ireland just for some reason think that Mexico invented the wave?

#52 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8597 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

MENDOOOZAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm not the only one doing that at every mention of his name, am I?

#53 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8921 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

How many great chances can Fernando Torres waste in this world cup? Between this and the Switzerland game, I'd say the number is about 5-6 right now.

#54 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (mikeford @ Jun 21 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's better than Iniesta and Xavi. The only explanation is that he is still injured and out of form.

No he's not. I will give you that he plays for Arsenal though, so being a fan, you are pre-disposed to whine about him. Cesc should have started over Iker and Spain would have had eleventy hundred goals that were all set up through Fabergas's magical footballing touch. He's like a cross between Requilme, Kaka, Ronaldo, and Pele.

Iniesta isn't playing either.

QUOTE (TheYellowDart5 @ Jun 21 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MENDOOOZAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm not the only one doing that at every mention of his name, am I?

You sir, are not.

#55 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1376 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Joe D Reid @ Jun 21 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On radio, Tommy Smythe keeps referring to the crowd as doing "the Mexican wave" around the stadium. At the risk of opening this up to a series of bad ethnic jokes, what the hell is he talking about? Did Mexico invent the wave? Or does Ireland just for some reason think that Mexico invented the wave?

http://tinyurl.com/2wna6gr

#56 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 21 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many great chances can Fernando Torres waste in this world cup? Between this and the Switzerland game, I'd say the number is about 5-6 right now.

They should have cloned Cesc and had him start over Torres. The score would be 6-0 by now.

#57 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1376 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 21 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They should have cloned Cesc and had him start over Torres. The score would be 6-0 by now.

And Cesc would have found a way to tear 4 hamstrings and break 3 knee caps in that time.

#58 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17197 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

If he's not better than those two players, why did he score more goals and rack up more assists than both Xavi and Iniesta COMBINED this season?

Why did David Villa score about 100 goals in Euro 2008?

Its not a coincidence, as a Tottenham fan you're predisposed to discounting anything anyone on the Gunners does but don't be daft.

#59 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Dernells Casket n Flagon @ Jun 21 2010, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Cesc would have found a way to tear 4 hamstrings and break 3 knee caps in that time.

No he wouldn't have. He would have pissed magic healing juice out of his auxiliary penis and rubbed it on his hammy/knees and then been able to walk on water before saving orphanages from murder by Xavi.

#60 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1376 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 21 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he wouldn't have. He would have pissed magic healing juice out of his auxiliary penis and rubbed it on his hammy/knees and then been able to walk on water before saving orphanages from murder by Xavi.

I thought only Van Persie could do that?

#61 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7219 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (mikeford @ Jun 21 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he's not better than those two players, why did he score more goals and rack up more assists than both Xavi and Iniesta COMBINED this season?

Its not a coincidence, as a Tottenham fan you're predisposed to discounting anything anyone on the Gunners does but don't be daft.

Well Iniesta was injured for most of the second half of the season so that's kind of misleading.

And Xavi was named Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament and, IIRC, Fabregas didn't even start, so that's probably one of the primary reasons why Villa scored 100 or so goals in Euro 2008.

#62 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 7882 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Did David Villa do something to cause the HON players to approach him at the end of the half?

#63 cromulence

• 1953 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (majorwibi @ Jun 21 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did David Villa do something to cause the HON players to approach him at the end of the half?

Possibly just expressing awe at his goal?

"Hey man, you just made us look terrible. That was cool. Please don't do it again."

#64 cjdmadcow

• 1256 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 21 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonsense. They do play in completely different positions, you realise?

#65 cjdmadcow

• 1256 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Morgan's Magic Snowplow @ Jun 21 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's simply a lack of match fitness. He did only come on for the last 30 minutes v Switzerland, which after a lengthy lay-off is not much. He's class though and that will come through in the end. Nothing to worry about here.

#66 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'll let this stand on it's own, but are you kidding me?

"Quite simply the best midfielder in modern football, and one of the greatest ‘centre’ midfielders of all time. It could even be argued that Xavi and Lothar Matthaus are the two best in this position in history. World class for several years now, it is the past three seasons in particular where the 30-year-old has been untouchable. Xavi’s passing is up there with Michel Platini, he creates countless goals with genius through balls while virtually never relinquishing possession."

Just took me 20 seconds to find

UEFA also has it against CESC!!!! 2009's Best XI. I know Cesc was on the team a couple of times, but the point is that Xavi and Iniesta are better now, not in 07.

More burnsauce.
Xavi 3rd, Iniesta 5th, Cesc not appearing

Vs Russia, Villa scored 1 goal with Cesc on the pitch...which was on his own effort. Cesc scored off Xavi's pass.
Vs Sweden, Villa scored on his own
Vs Italy, Villa scored the first penalty kick in penalties. This was because Cesc gave him an ass pat before he did it.
Vs Russia again, Villa didn't score.

As you can see, David Villa was worth 40 million Euro because of Cesc.

I don't discount anything from Arsenal (please provide examples of this). I don't see how saying that you are overrating Cesc, and that Arsenal fans are prone to whining about anything is "daft."* Then again, my fandom wasn't born from the source material of a Jimmy Fallon movie^, so maybe I am a little "bum over noggin."

*Sweet Britishsism bro! Cracking!
^I don't care if you're a Fever Pitch fan or not, so save the obvious protest.

#67 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (cjdmadcow @ Jun 21 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nonsense. They do play in completely different positions, you realise?

Don't be an idiot. Cesc is so good that he can play everything at once.

How dare you assume that CESC can't play center forward? You must be a Tottenham fan.

#68 cjdmadcow

• 1256 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 21 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't be an idiot. Cesc is so good that he can play everything at once.

How dare you assume that CESC can't play center forward? You must be a Tottenham fan.

You are right, of course. I'd forgotten that CESC is known only by that one name and anyone with just one name is automatically a world-beater.

#69 teddykgb

• 3562 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Cesc not playing was supposed to provide the benefit of not hearing arsenal supporters whining about how only their players are ever tackled hard. Instead, it's given rise to this madness. I guess this means that Arsenal fans are just whiners, which I'm pretty sure I already knew.

Torres is a real mystery right now. Especially since his status going forward is so up in the air, he's not inspiring much confidence. I suppose his track record speaks for itself, but it's pretty shocking to see him unable to finish.

#70 accidentalsuccess

• 163 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

nice shot

#71 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (accidentalsuccess @ Jun 21 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice shot

Only because CESC willed it.

#72 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1376 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 21 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only because CESC willed it.

At least if Cesc doesn't play it lowers (though I'm still pretty sure it doesn't eliminate) the chance of him getting injured which is good news because:

A) he'll get a higher transfer fee from Barcelona
B) he won't be out until November only to come back rusty for a month

This is my point of view as an Arsenal supporter anyway.

#73 accidentalsuccess

• 163 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

not as nice a shot......

#74 Dernells Casket n Flagon

• 1376 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Torres could have done that.

#75 cjdmadcow

• 1256 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I like that camera shot , high behind Villa as he takes the penalty. It does make the goal look a damn sight smaller.

Looks like Villa had the same thought!

#76 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6286 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

OMG HERE COMES CESC!!!!!!111!!!!!

#77 URI

• 10098 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (SoxFanInCali @ Jun 21 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG HERE COMES CESC!!!!!!111!!!!!

Do you know what Spain is saying to Honduras right now?

"THREE CENTURIES OF COLONIAL OPPRESSION WILL BE LIKE VANILLA ICE CREAM NOW THAT WE'VE UNLEASHED CESC ON YOU!"

#78 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Joe D Reid @ Jun 21 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

British people (and by extension Irish) call it the Mexican wave because the first time they ever saw it was Mexico 86.

Of course that just tells you how Tommy Smyth (who has supposedly lived in America for almost 50 years) is possibly the least integrated immigrant ever. I am convinced he only eats food imported from Ireland, only watches RTE and has never been to the cinema except to see The Commitments, Michael Collins and The Field.

Seriously, if he was Mexican, Tea Party people would be frothing at the mouth.

#79 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

you know, I did get a bit of a boner when Cesc came on.

C
E
S
C
!

#80 Ahriman

• noob, toughguy

• 1556 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Jun 21 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you know, I did get a bit of a boner when Cesc came on.

C
E
S
C
!

It's okay to admit that you actually pronounce his name as "Sex".

#81 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6286 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Did you jizz when he almost scored?

#82 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

There was a little bit of discharge, I admit.

#83 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Ahriman @ Jun 21 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's okay to admit that you actually pronounce his name as "Sex".

Sexy in fact. Which is how I feel about him in the cockles of my heart, or the sub-cockles anyway.

That was a Denis Leary joke I stole there. I know, iiirooonnnyyy.

#84 bosox4283

• 2542 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Let's talk Jesus Navas.

I criticized Spain's strategy after the Switzerland match of constantly taking the ball to the wing and then attempting a ball over the middle. I thought it didn't work. Bonger (do we still call you that?) remarked that it was opening up the middle, giving Spain more opportunities.

After today's match, I have the same conclusion. I saw that there was more space, and perhaps the tactic is working. I just don't think Navas is getting it done. He did not creative enough real chances. Though he had some great runs and great balls, I thought he lacked consistency and he seemed to be lacking a little precision ("no estuvo fino", they would say in Spanish).

Thoughts?

#85 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

I'll need to rewatch the game as I wasn't really watching critically (read: posting here during the game and eating dinner) but Spain had a shed load of chances, just the finishing wasn't very good. I do know the Five Live commentators were criticizing Navas for his crossing earlier, so it's certainly possible you're right and I'm not.

Also it's bongeur or BONG£R.

#86 filthywater49

• 1532 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Spacemans Bong @ Jun 21 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll need to rewatch the game as I wasn't really watching critically (read: posting here during the game and eating dinner) but Spain had a shed load of chances, just the finishing wasn't very good. I do know the Five Live commentators were criticizing Navas for his crossing earlier, so it's certainly possible you're right and I'm not.

Also it's bongeur or BONG£R.

Even if Navas isn't setting up the goals himself, the very fact that he's all the way out there on the flanks improves their chances by virtue of forcing teams who wish to park the bus to spread out and cover the flanks. That didn't happen in the first 60 minutes of the Switzerland game which made it very tough for them. Even if he didn't have any "assists," he was a positive presence out there and even though I love Silva and Don Andres, he is more important than either of them for Spain right now.

#87 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 713 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (bosox4283 @ Jun 21 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thoughts?

He's probably in there at least in part by process of elimination. Among Spain's other wingers, David Silva and Juan Mata are lefties, so they'd be instinctively cutting inside to shoot rather than crossing the ball. Pedro, though right-footed, is more of a forward and thus plays further up, which wouldn't mesh with Sergio Ramos' game, as he has so much license to attack. And Iniesta is injured, of course, leaving Navas as the only player to properly fill the role del Bosque seems to have in mind.

Of course, CESC could always play there, now that we've established he can do anything.

#88 bosox4283

• 2542 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Great analysis. Just what I was looking for. Gracias.

#89 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1919 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

I would have enjoyed the 7-0 Portugal drubbing more if I hadn't read a book by a North Korean defector several years ago detailing how he met several members of the DPRK national soccer team in a political prison camp. Their crime was apparently getting drunk the night before a match and performing badly.

#90 idontlikecricketiloveit

• 127 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (cjdmadcow @ Jun 21 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like that camera shot , high behind Villa as he takes the penalty. It does make the goal look a damn sight smaller.

Looks like Villa had the same thought!
I like that shot too! Makes the goal seem smaller and farther.