Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Xander Bogaerts

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 IKONOS

• 48 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

From MiLB.com

Full Name: Xander Bogaerts
Born: 10/01/1992
Birthplace: San Nicolas, Aruba
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 175
Bats: R
Throws: R

I dont know much about him. He plays for the the DSL Redsox team and seems like an interesting prospect to follow. Its a small sample but he is hitting .341/.473/.545 for an ops of 1.018. More importantly he seems to have patience and speed with 10BB/8KO in 44AB to go with 4 Triples and 3 SB. Does any one know more about him. Any scouting report?

#2 carltonfiskga2

• 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (IKONOS @ Jun 18 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From MiLB.com

Full Name: Xander Bogaerts
Born: 10/01/1992
Birthplace: San Nicolas, Aruba
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 175
Bats: R
Throws: R

I dont know much about him. He plays for the the DSL Redsox team and seems like an interesting prospect to follow. Its a small sample but he is hitting .341/.473/.545 for an ops of 1.018. More importantly he seems to have patience and speed with 10BB/8KO in 44AB to go with 4 Triples and 3 SB. Does any one know more about him. Any scouting report?

He was signed along with his brother in August of 2008. He is now 17 YO.

http://www.soxprospe...erts-xander.htm

His brother Jair is listed on soxprospects as being in XST and a catching prospect.

#3 IKONOS

• 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

Sample increased to 100AB and he is consistently putting up impressive numbers with a slash line of 0.327/0.439/0.485 for a 0.924OPS to go along with 19BB and 18SO. Is there a comparable player in the past that has been as selective in his approach in DSL?

#4 jscola85

• 774 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Sample increased to 100AB and he is consistently putting up impressive numbers with a slash line of 0.327/0.439/0.485 for a 0.924OPS to go along with 19BB and 18SO. Is there a comparable player in the past that has been as selective in his approach in DSL?

Update on Bogaerts, through 256 PAs:

.319/.400/.820, with 14 XBHs and an impressive 30/35 BB/K ratio. Bogaerts is only 4/9 on steals though. Xander hit a pedestrian .719 OPS in July but has gone back to crushing the ball in August, posting a .859 OPS in 63 PAs this month. Still only 17, he's got a bright future ahead of him.

#5 mafisher

• 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Bogaerts Combination of Power and Size in a Shortstop is something teams salivate over. Who wouldn't want an incredible prospect like this. I say this kid for sure grows into a Troy Tulowitzki, Hanley Ramirez, or Nomar Garciaparra type player. Not to jump the gun, but he could be the organization's top shortstop prospect by 2011's end, passing Jose Iglesias.

#6 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

Not to jump the gun,

I say this kid for sure grows into a Troy Tulowitzki, Hanley Ramirez, or Nomar Garciaparra type player.

He's 17.

What would you consider to be jumping the gun?

Edited by Brianish, 30 August 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#7 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

He's 17.

What would you consider to be jumping the gun?

Not just that - he's 17 and in the DSL.

He's no Melvin Dorta.

#8 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

"Lookit the arm on that fetus! He's gonna be the next Nolan Ryan; I guarantee!"

#9 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,575 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

Are agents allowed here?

#10 shepard50

• 4,496 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Here is the video package put together (by the Bogaerts brothers themselves) pre-signing.

Note the facilities, equipment and grounds. It's easy to forget what a different world much of the prospect world comes from.

#11 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,399 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

From Jim Callis on Twitter:

Huge upside, best #RedSox DSL prospect since Hanley Ramirez. @frankpeavey: Thoughts on SS Xander Bogaerts? 18 y/o and already 6'3" w/power?

Ummmm...this guy made no top 10 or even top 20 lists. could be an interesting year

Edited by Clears Cleaver, 07 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#12 shepard50

• 4,496 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

From Jim Callis on Twitter:

Huge upside, best #RedSox DSL prospect since Hanley Ramirez. @frankpeavey: Thoughts on SS Xander Bogaerts? 18 y/o and already 6'3" w/power?

Ummmm...this guy made no top 10 or even top 20 lists. could be an interesting year

Could be indeed.

Minor quibble - he made Keith Law's top ten Red Sox prospects list...

#13 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,399 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Could be indeed.

Minor quibble - he made Keith Law's top ten Red Sox prospects list...

LOL, I looked at three or four lists and he wasn't anywhere except a mention as next in one top-20 list. I have Law's open and didn't look at it.

I am a guessing a 6'3" 18-year old shortstop may not project as a SS long-term

#14 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

I wrote out this transcript from a redsox.com interview with Hazen this summer:

"I haven't been down to the Dominican this year, but Ship brought him over for a workout in spring training, as a young kid the size this guy already has on his frame, the raw power... just the display in a workout in Fort Myers on one of the back fields was extremely impressive. All the scouts and roving instructors that have come back from the Dominican have said the same. He's a very athletic, toolsy kid that having a very good year. Playing shortstop, one of the hardest positions on the field. We'll hopefully see him next year in the GCL, maybe beyond. We'll see him in the instructional league in another week. We'll get a first hand look at him, he's an exciting player."

#15 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,399 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

here is a full write from a recent soxprospects.com report

http://news.soxprosp...r-bogaerts.html

#16 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

LOL, I looked at three or four lists and he wasn't anywhere except a mention as next in one top-20 list. I have Law's open and didn't look at it.

I am a guessing a 6'3" 18-year old shortstop may not project as a SS long-term

Correct. Speculation is that he will end up at 3B.

#17 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,120 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

I can't recall a prospect that has had as much offseason helium as Xander. It is amazing how much hype he has gotten from a good showing in Instructs.

#18 Detts

• 858 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

I can't recall a prospect that has had as much offseason helium as Xander. It is amazing how much hype he has gotten from a good showing in Instructs.

Don't forget about how much Hazen was falling all over himself when Scout asked him about Xander back in August...

http://sonsofsamhorn...-today-at-noon/

#19 IKONOS

• 48 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Xander has been placed in Greenville to replace Sean Coyle who is placed in DL. This placement might be temporary but still is interesting. I hope he sticks around.

#20 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

Xander has been placed in Greenville to replace Sean Coyle who is placed in DL. This placement might be temporary but still is interesting. I hope he sticks around.

Been waiting for this for a long time. Legit excited.

#21 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Been waiting for this for a long time. Legit excited.

Wow. From DSL to the SAL, even if for a temp injury replacement, is impressive. Definitely one to watch.

#22 avrsoxfan

• 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

BloodySox a red sox blog interviewed Bogaerts. He seems like a nice guy. Interview

#23 Detts

• 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

As posted in the game day thread to save it for posterity on his 2 homerun night:

Bogaerts hit solo home runs in the fourth and sixth innings to lead the Greenville Charge.

"I wasn't really looking for them." Said Bogaerts, who has nine home runs. "I made good contact with the bat and they just went. They both came on fastballs. Once the guy made a mistake and left it high a little up in the middle so I hit it out.

"The next one (hitting coach Luis Lopez) told me he was going to throw a fastball because he was blazing fastballs by all the guys. I just said 'I am going to take a rip at it.' I thought it was foul, but it ended up being fair."

Edit: Quotes are from the Greenville Paper.

Edited by Detts, 31 July 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#24 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

Bogaerts has the 4th highest HR/FB rate in the system now, trailing Roberto Reyes, Schwindenhammer, and Lavarnway. Brentz is 5th and Chiang was 6th before the trade. He is 7th in the system in ISO, trailing Spring, Brentz, Reddick, Lavarnway, Linares, and ReyRod. Chiang was 1st so Xander was 8th prior to the trade.

I am using no PA min so both lists include a few guys with even less playing time than Bogaerts. The power he is showing as an 18 year old is pretty extraordinary. He's already in my top 10 for the system, but I can definitely see him cracking the top 5 and several top 100 lists by the end of the season.

#25 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,154 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Nice comments about the rising star in RotoHardball

On the heels of a 4-5 night including his 11th home run, I figured it was time to post about Boston Red Sox rising phenom Xander Bogaerts and his power surge as an 18-year old in the South Atlantic League. In the "Sally", only Mike Stanton and Bryce Harper have shown such prodigious home run power at such a young age in the three years I've been scouting prospects placing Bogaerts in select company indeed.

#26 avrsoxfan

• 153 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Bogaerts hit another homer tonight. He's got some awesome power and he hasn't filled out yet.

#27 rsnwest

• 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

The word is getting out on this kid, who could certainly be part of any trade speculation come the trade deadline:

Xander Bogaerts: The Next Elite Third Base Prospect?

#28 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

The word is getting out on this kid, who could certainly be part of any trade speculation come the trade deadline:...

Looks like a keeper to me. Trade Middlebrooks.

#29 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

The word is getting out on this kid

The word is very much out. There is a decent chance that Bogaerts will be rated as the top prospect in the organization by BA, and other publications, this winter. I've recently had two scouts tell me that his ceiling is higher than anyone in the system.

#30 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,558 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

The word is very much out. There is a decent chance that Bogaerts will be rated as the top prospect in the organization by BA, and other publications, this winter. I've recently had two scouts tell me that his ceiling is higher than anyone in the system.

The fact that you mention the word "Ceiling" is promising, considering that word has been thrown around this board about the Sox system a ton. I still think Middlebrooks is ranked #1 by BA, however Bogaerts will be right behind him. I haven't seen this type of hype around a Sox infield prospect since some guy they traded to the Marlins...what ever happened to him anyways?

#31 rsnwest

• 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

I haven't seen this type of hype around a Sox infield prospect since some guy they traded to the Marlins...what ever happened to him anyways?

That's what scare's me. Would "that guy" who went to the Marlins act like such a jerk if he hadn't had the hype machine driving him for three years? An unanswerable question, but I can't help but to worry about these things after the debacle this fall.

My hope is that Middlebrooks is in fact the consensus BA #1 in the system, so XB can hide from the general media at least until mid-season.

#32 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

That's what scare's me. Would "that guy" who went to the Marlins act like such a jerk if he hadn't had the hype machine driving him for three years? An unanswerable question, but I can't help but to worry about these things after the debacle this fall.

My hope is that Middlebrooks is in fact the consensus BA #1 in the system, so XB can hide from the general media at least until mid-season.

Generally speaking, most of these guys have had people blowing smoke up their ass since they were in little league. Most professional athletes are 'jerks', but that really doesn't mean squat.

I would be shocked if BA, who loves tools, didn't have him as the Sox top prospect.

#33 Detts

• 858 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Fact that may only interest me: Xander speaks 4 languages (English, Spanish, Dutch, and Papiamento).

#34 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

People are individuals. Character and effort questions dogged Hanley throughout his time as a prospect and have continued to dog him in his MLB career. It is reasonable to assume that these issues are simply part of who Hanley is. Xander Bogaerts has only had good things said about his character and effort at this point. He is lauded as a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders. He has always said the right things in his somewhat limited interviews.

While it is perfectly reasonable to keep an eye on how Bogaerts reacts to the increasing spotlight he will be under this year, there is no reason to worry. All signs point to him being the type of person who will continue to work his ass off to maximize his considerable talent.

As for the general ranking discussion, I still think Middlebrooks and Kalish should be ahead of him. They are both virtually guaranteed to be average or better MLB players. Neither has the ceiling of Bogaerts, but both have massively higher floors. They are very similar overall talents and it would be somewhat ridiculous to rank someone else in the system inbetween them. Bogaerts, in my mind, is third based on his massive ceiling. I have a hard time ranking him lower than 5. I'd round out the next 7 with Lavarnway, Iglesias, Ranaudo, and Barnes, in that order, but not too wedded to the ordering. I think that all of those players have sound claims to top 100 rankings, although no one, including Middlebrooks, belongs higher than around 40.

On the other hand, Bogaerts is the guy in the system who I could easily see turning into a top 10 (in MLB) prospect by next season. A strong season that sees him finishing with success in AA is not outside the realm of possibility and would really get the hype machine rolling.

#35 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,717 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

As for the general ranking discussion, I still think Middlebrooks and Kalish should be ahead of him. They are both virtually guaranteed to be average or better MLB players.

I agree with your overall point, but let's not get too excited about our prospects here. Neither has even really succeeded at AAA. There are innumberable prospects that compare favorably to Middlebrooks and Kalish over the years that have not become "average or better MLBers".

I'd put "average or slightly better" more like 50th-75th percentile projections for them. It's certainly not their floor (in other words, a 5th percentile projection, or something along those lines).

Edited by radsoxfan, 20 November 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#36 curly2

• 2,727 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

People are individuals. Character and effort questions dogged Hanley throughout his time as a prospect and have continued to dog him in his MLB career. It is reasonable to assume that these issues are simply part of who Hanley is.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with people pampering them. IZZY ALCANTARA, a guy who should have been busting his ass on every play to stay in the major leagues, blew his chance to stick by dogging it on a couple of occasions.

#37 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

As for the general ranking discussion, I still think Middlebrooks and Kalish should be ahead of him.

Kalish actually won't be ranked, as he is technically no longer a prospect. He has enough big league time that he is no longer rookie eligible.

#38 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Kalish actually won't be ranked, as he is technically no longer a prospect. He has enough big league time that he is no longer rookie eligible.

Thanks for the correction. I had thought he was just on the other side of that threshold. Second makes a lot more sense in this case.

#39 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Bogaerts has had a nice start to the season. Improvement in contact rate is particularly encouraging. .294/.368/.471, 7.9 BB%, 18.4 K%. He could really rocket up the charts this year.

#40 Wake's knuckle

• 454 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Bogaerts current line of 286/365/482 is looking pretty good -- he's cut is BB/SO rate from 1:3 to 1:2 this year compared to 2011 and is showing an increased BB rate, despite moving up a level.

#41 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Bogaerts current line of 286/365/482 is looking pretty good -- he's cut is BB/SO rate from 1:3 to 1:2 this year compared to 2011 and is showing an increased BB rate, despite moving up a level.

That line looks fantastic considering the widely held expectation that he would struggle a bit to adjust to the more advanced pitching in Salem.

Does anyone have any first-hand reports on his defense?

#42 Sports Illustrator

• Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

this kid is going to be a super star. So advanced for his age, once he fills out...look out.

#43 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

I like your screen name. I should have thought of that.

#44 bosox79

• 1,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

I put this in the gameday thread as well but Xander hasnt walked since May 17th.

19g 79 PA 0bb 20k

#45 Joshv02

• 1,417 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

I put this in the gameday thread as well but Xander hasnt walked since May 17th.

19g 79 PA 0bb 20k

Last night (suspended game): 1/1, BB.

#46 Sports Illustrator

• Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Xander with another bomb tonight.

#47 Sports Illustrator

• Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

3/3 with another bomb. Kid is ballin.

#48 alwyn96

• 802 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Not particularly newsworthy, but Xander Bogaerts is still awesome. #11 prospect on Sickels' midseason list.

#49 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,766 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Not to crap on the curator, and we can't all be drtooth, but this is one prospect that seems to deserve more frequent updates. What am I supposed to do, Google things myself??

#50 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,102 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

The last two weeks he only has 2 multi-hit games and no home runs. .222/.256/.306 during that stretch. Not much to report.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users