Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Best Soccer bars in Boston?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 fairlee76

• 1379 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Saw the Globe's list and cannot take them seriously given that GameOn! was included. Any soccer aficionados have a list of best places they care to share?

#2 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9187 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (fairlee76 @ Jun 10 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw the Globe's list and cannot take them seriously given that GameOn! was included. Any soccer aficionados have a list of best places they care to share?

Why? Game On shows the games.

My favorite place is the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge.

#3 teddykgb

• 2966 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I also go to the Landing, wouldn't say it's incredible or anything, but they have the games on and the fans are real fans

#4 fairlee76

• 1379 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 10 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why? Game On shows the games.

My favorite place is the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge.

But is it a soccer bar? I want a place that has the appropriate energy; not a place where people are glancing at the game on their way into Fenway.

For the record, I love GameOn! as place for Pats, Sox, and Celts viewing. Downstairs booths are tough to be beat.

#5 URI

• 9187 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

But they play the games. 90% of the bars in the city won't be.

#6 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14461 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

How early will I have to get to the bars around Fenway to catch the game on Saturday afternoon? I'd like to watch the game, drink beer, and then go to Fenway after.

#7 fairlee76

• 1379 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (URI @ Jun 10 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But they play the games. 90% of the bars in the city won't be.

Good point, I am looking for the best of that 10%.

#8 Sille Skrub

• 3848 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Whoa. From the Globe link, it says the Banshee is putting in a 3D TV for the games.

I may have to check this out.

#9 sleepyjose03

• 2317 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

The Metro this morning said that Game On! would have Revs players on hand for the US-England match as well. So that gives them a little extra points, even if its not worth that much overall. At least they are trying.

It looks like a bunch of my friends and I (along with the WAGs) are planning for an epic day for Sat the 19th. 10AM WC game at a bar TBD, the Craft Beer Festival at THE Seaport from 1-4, Dodgers @ Sox (for some of us) @ 4; continuing the party at location TDB afterwords.

I'm already salivating at the thought....

#10 idontlikecricketiloveit

• 127 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

Don't knock Game On! till you've tried it.

I wandered in there in 2006 during my lunch break (as I worked in the Fenway area) hoping to have a sit-down meal and watch some USA - Czech Republic. No chance. The downstairs was packed with soccer fans. People wearing Uncle Sam hats, the whole bit. All screens were turned to the game (though you could argue what else would you watch at noon) and it was really dark so it felt like I had entered some soccer dungeon. Pretty cool atmosphere. Hope it gets repeated this time as well. The schedule of the games is such that there should be no conflict.

#11 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3044 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:18 AM

The best football bar in Boston this weekend is going to be the beach at my house, of course.

(If you can look past the wannabe USA-USA Man Utd dweebs in attandence)

#12 Mighty Barrett

• 49 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'm thinking of going to the Phoenix Landing for the US-Slovenia game on Friday. Anyone have a guess as to whether or not there will be a line pre-game? Also, is there standing room in there? Not looking to sit down and hang out as I will be a little pressed for time. Just want to watch the game and split.

#13 PC Drunken Friar

• 3326 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Ok0 so I have a few people coming in to watch the US game Wednesday...I think I have narrowed our choices to 3 places...

Phoenix Landing, Game On, and the Banshee...my questions...

There are 2 people driving. Would people be able to park in central square, or do those metered spots fill up on weekdays?
How early does a line form at PL? Would there be one @ the Banshee? Would the Banshee have a good atmosphere at 10 am on a Wednesday? If there is enough parking, i think PL wins out.

#14 PC Drunken Friar

• 3326 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Ok, a little more research...hows Jacob Wirth...anyone ever been?

#15 URI

• 9187 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (PC Drunken Friar @ Jun 21 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Jacob Wirth has much in terms of game-watching. I was there for dinner last year, and it was tough keeping an eye on the Sox game.

#16 Frito Tankona

• 200 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (PC Drunken Friar @ Jun 21 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been. It's a German place over near the theater district. I haven't been in maybe half a year, but if I recall correctly, it wasn't the best place to watch sports. They do have the requisite 46-52 inch LCD tvs, so it shouldn't be too bad for the game. Very good beer selection.

Edit: What URI said.

Edited by Frito Tankona, 21 June 2010 - 04:15 PM.

#17 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2683 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Atmosphere at the Banshee should be good...parking may be better over there too.

#18 teddykgb

• 2966 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

i went to the landing for US game last week and it was packed, place is too small. Honestly, I'd probably go to game on or some other gigantic establishment that will probably have the game on, because places like phoenix landing just aren't big enough for the crowds that are in there. You'll lose some ambiance but you'll be able to take a piss.

#19 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Anyone have any tips for bars near a beach...south shore-ish, maybe even as far as the Cape? (Coming from Boston/South End)

Had plans to go to the beach with some friends on Saturday. Obviously U.S.-Ghana trumps that, but if there's a way to do a combo package where can hang out at the beach for a while, then go catch the game while others stay on the beach -- that would be ideal.

#20 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8701 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

TK O'Malley's in Scituate Harbor is right on the water, that might work for you.

#21 BigJimEd

• 1757 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

TK's is on the water but I think the nearest public beach is about a mile.

I'm sure a few of the bars on Nantasket beach will have the game on.

#22 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8173 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Cool, thanks guys. Might give Nantasket a shot.

#23 UnfrozenCavemanGrebeck

• 212 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

If I had to give a Top 3 list, it would go: 1) The Banshee, 2.) The Phoenix Landing, 3.) McGreevy's (especially if you're an England supporter. They've had good crowds there for their games)