Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Conference Realignment Thread

2357 replies to this topic

#1801 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Middle Tennessee State is moving to C-USA.

https://twitter.com/...824122818162689

So is FAU

Florida Atlantic will move to conference USA in all sports. FAU will try make the transition in 2014.

That's four schools jumping ship from the Sun Belt to C-USA, with North Texas and Fla Int'l doing so mid-2013.

Edited by mabrowndog, 28 November 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#1802 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,376 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

UNC and UVA aren't going to be left out in the cold at the end of the day.

If I were UVA (or any of the other ACC schools with mediocre football) I'd very much be worried about being left out. Even Duke, although they at least have a compelling basketball program and a chance at talking to Georgetown, UConn, etc about putting together a basketball-centric conference if the ACC dies. But if you have mediocre football and non-elite basketball then you can't even be assured that you'll get an invitation to that, and UVA still would like to remain in a football conference I imagine.

Hitching a ride with VaTech football is UVA's clearest path to being in a major conference when the dust settles.

#1803 jmanny24

• 322 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

And the WAC is dead with Western Kentucky, and New Mexico State joining MTSU and FAU in conference USA making them the first super conference (17 hoop schools by 2014) https://twitter.com/dkurtenbach/status/273914137246040065
link to tweet

Edited by jmanny24, 28 November 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#1804 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,254 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

NMSU's AD is denying that rumor, saying they had no contact with CUSA.

#1805 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

And the WAC is dead with Western Kentucky, and New Mexico State joining MTSU and FAU in conference USA making them the first super conference (17 hoop schools by 2014) https://twitter.com/...914137246040065

Conflicting reports out there. This one says nay on the WKY move.

Brent, Clay & Blaine ‏@3HL1045
Despite previous report. MT @brentdougherty: Source confirms to me that WKU not moving to C-USA at this point. WKU wouldn't comment.

And as far as the WAC being dead, they already were in football, and they're currently on life support in basketball.

Edited by mabrowndog, 28 November 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#1806 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Regarding the Pirates & the Big East, Matt Peloquin asks, logically...

@NCAAsports
With Louisville heading to the ACC, ECU is likely to have their status upgraded to all-sports from FB only

WTVR in Richmond reports...

CBS 6 Sports has learned that the CAA will invite all non-football ECU sports to re-join the league

#1807 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

NMSU's AD is denying that rumor, saying they had no contact with CUSA.

Confirming the above, per the esteemed Matt Peloquin:

@NCAAsports
NMSU AD McKinley Boston: “We have not had contact with Conf. USA. I've never seen anything as volatile as (conf realignment) in long time.”

#1808 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Some scuttlebutt on Louisville's acceptance and UConn's omission. Looks like it came down to (1) The ACC's FB schools have louder voices than their BB & academics stawarts, and (2) The "Louisville's got a million horny guys chasing her, but ugly & lonely UConn will suck me off any time I get drunk and call her up" thing Plantier's Wart mentioned upthread.

Eric Crawford ‏@ericcrawford
Jurich said UofL's biggest advocates were Florida State, Clemson and Syracuse.

Kevin Nathan @KevinNathanNBC
Sources tell me 4 ACC schools gave UConn support: Wake Forest, Duke, North Carolina and Virginia.

Kevin Nathan ‏@KevinNathanNBC
Sources tell me ACC feels they can get UConn at anytime and that Louisville had leverage since they've had eye on Big 12.

#1809 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

More on Louisville/ACC from SI's Pete Thamel. We all know UConn & Cinci lobbying for acceptance was no secret, but according to him Navy and South Florida also made their cases. Also:

"This is a unique reset moment," said a person with direct knowledge of the move. "Schools that weren't in the mix may come into the mix. Some schools on the sidelines now seem more relevant, especially if we going to start talking about 16."

The loss of Louisville will be crushing to the Big East, as the presence of Louisville and UConn are considered to be holding that league's basketball-only faction together.

#1810 Williams Head Case

• 1,679 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Louisville's football coach, credited with the current success of the program, doesn't look like he cares to stick around to sustain that success in the ACC.

Auburn has interviewed Louisville head coach Charlie Strong in one of its first moves to find a replacement for Gene Chizik.

The interview took place in the last two days, al.com has learned, according to someone familiar with the process.

Strong has a 23-15 record the last three seasons at Louisville, including a 9-2 record this season. He was an assistant coach in the SEC for 20 years, including stints as the defensive coordinator at Florida and South Carolina.

Rumors also have him interested in the Arkansas gig. Can't blame him for wanting to jump ship, but I have to give props to the Louisville folks for keeping this under wraps until AFTER they were invited to join the ACC. Taking Louisville over UConn will look... short-sided... when a couple years from now Louisville and UConn have the same record and a big football school or two bolt the ACC anyway.

#1811 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Mark Blaudschun suggests the Big East go after Fresno State as a football-only school to give them two 7-team divisions:

EAST - UConn, Temple, Navy, Central Florida, South Florida, Tulane, East Carolina
WEST - Boise St, San Diego St, Fresno St, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati

For hoops, he suggests bringing aboard two of Xavier, Butler, Dayton and George Mason in basketball for two 9-team divisions, the first mainly Catholic schools and original Big East members and the other mostly former C-USA members.

NORTH - St. John’s, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, DePaul, Providence, UConn, Temple
SOUTH - Central Florida, South Florida, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Cincinnati, Tulane, New #1, New #2

Can't imagine anything that would piss Cincinnati off more than this arrangement. They'd get stuck in the West for football, and the far less appealing South for hoops. To top if off, they could end up sharing their market with Xavier &/or Dayton. If the Bearcats and Tulane were swapped out in football (also solving a major time zone dilemma), and the two new schools were Butler & GMU (or VCU?) to avoid the SE Ohio overkill, that would be far more workable.

Edited by mabrowndog, 28 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#1812 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Great column from Dennis Dodd on why the Big 12 is pumped and jacked to have just 10 teams now and for the foreseeable future:

One industry source estimated Big 12 schools will be cashing checks for $30 million-plus in the first year of the playoff beginning in 2014. The total now stands at approximately $20 million per school. Beginning in 2014, the Big 12 will begin taking in $40 million per year from the alignment with the Sugar Bowl (previously Champions Bowl).

There's your opportunity -- as [Big 12 commissioner Bob] Bowlsby put it -- that moves the needle. Expansion in the form of a bowl game split between the Big 12 and SEC.

A conference championship game doesn't make much financial sense. One media consultant says such a game would be worth only $700,000-$1 million a year per school. Not an insignificant amount but worth having to split with two more mouths to feed?

Think of it in Powerball terms. It's easier to make more money if you and nine friends combined to buy tickets for Wednesday's drawing instead of 12.

“I would be laughing,” said a source who has worked closely with the Big 12. “They're in great shape. If the TV deal was lousy, if in two or three years their network deal was coming up [then I could see it]. But right now, the Big 12 has hit the lottery. They've got it perfect. Those guys have it on Easy Street.”

Further reasons the Big 12 is in good shape:

-- Big 12 expansion rests, indirectly, on a perceived gentleman's agreement with the SEC. The league supposedly would not expand to states where there currently are teams. That seemingly takes Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech out of the mix.

If the SEC honors that agreement, then the SEC might go after NC State and/or Virginia Tech if Mike Slive feels like he has to respond to the Big Ten's recent moves. In that occurrence, Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech would be in play for the Big 12.

Even then industry sources argue whether one or some combination of those schools brings pro rata – at least equal value – to the Big 12.

-- The Big Ten and SEC need inventory for their networks. That's part of what the Big Ten's expansion was about. The SEC has yet to play its hand in further expansion but is launching a lucrative network in approximately 15 months. The league might add a ninth conference game to add inventory for the network.

There is no market for a Big 12 network. ESPN/Fox own all the games except for one (nonconference) game owned by each school. Schools choose how to monetize those contests via streaming, pay-per-view, etc.

“You can't start a network with 10 games,” an industry source said.

Especially with The Longhorn Network basically keeping Texas out of the mix.

-- The Big 12 can't lose any schools in the next 13 years (see below) so a raid by another conference seems unlikely. Think of a law of diminishing returns. The ACC's 14 aren't going to be making as much as the Big 12's 10. The pecking order will remain the same: The Big Ten and SEC will be 1-2 in revenue in some order. The Big 12 and Pac-12 will be 3-4 in some order. The ACC will be the fifth major conference, still most vulnerable to being picked apart by one of the other four.

The superconference carousel might come and go with the Big 12 staying at a nice, tidy 10. It already has a 13-year year contract with ESPN and Fox paying the league more than $1 billion. That coincides with a grant-of-rights that basically keeps any of the teams from leaving. If Texas and/or Oklahoma split for, say, the Pac-12 then the Big 12 would keep its TV rights.

Conclusion: Texas/Oklahoma isn't leaving for the Pac-12.

Further conclusion: Any league that includes those two schools remains worth keeping together.

Edited by mabrowndog, 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#1813 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Another note on Louisville:

Eric Crawford ‏@ericcrawford
Jurich said he hopes to keep football series w Cincinnati and especially Kentucky. Said "even if we play 10 conf games, I want UK to be No. 11"

#1814 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm sure there's a lawsuit you guys could conjure up to bide your time.

Or Pitt..oh but they were let in

#1815 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Back when there was the football BE and the old ACC, I thought that the conferences might merge and have a the East Coast version of the Pac 10. Looks like as of this morning that the merger has finally taken place, absent only Penn State. To make the old guards feel good, I would suggest that they reset the alignment of the divisions and rename them the Dave Gavitt and Gene Corrigan divisions They could look like this:

DG: BC, Miami, Louisville, Va Tech, Syr, Pitt, Clemson;
GC: Ga Tech, UNC, NCST, UVA, FSU, Duke, Wake

They all play each other in their dvsisions with one cross over "rival" and then pick up 1 other every year. You get your 8 games and really it would be like the old BE in one division and the old ACC in the other. I would move the ACCCG to the home field of the highest ranked team, like the Pac 12 does. It keeps traditional rivalries, allows OOC games and maybe it creates a better brand of football and more interest in places like BC and Syracuse.

As for UConn....I think they are the safety choice as was discussed above. If there are any more defections, they come on board. But Christ, what a situatin for them. No super conference really wants them. I don;t really get it to be honest at this point. Is it their location? TV market? NCAA issues with hoops? all of that, none of that??

Bernie, all due respect, Dave Gavitt would roll over in his grave if his name was associated with a still largely-southern conference. He was a Northeastern basketball guy first and foremost.
The fact that Cuse and Pitt have moved to the ACC would make him vomit. The only reason as a UConn fan I wanted to get into the ACC is because that's where our biggest rivals are. Other than that Fuckem.
Is it me or are UConn fans the only Big East BB/FB fans who wanted everything to stay the way they were? I enjoyed hating on the ACC, I enjoyed our basketball-first rivalries with some football thrown in. I love the BET in Madison Square Garden. Cuse and Pitt gone, but I guess at least UConn, G-town, St Johns and Nova will still give it that NE basketball feeling. Maybe Temple and Providence is on the upswing.
Oh well.

#1816 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,246 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Louisville's football coach, credited with the current success of the program, doesn't look like he cares to stick around to sustain that success in the ACC.

Rumors also have him interested in the Arkansas gig. Can't blame him for wanting to jump ship, but I have to give props to the Louisville folks for keeping this under wraps until AFTER they were invited to join the ACC. Taking Louisville over UConn will look... short-sided... when a couple years from now Louisville and UConn have the same record and a big football school or two bolt the ACC anyway.

Louisville football is much bigger than Charlie Strong. they have won at least 9 games in 7 of the past 13 years. They had a bad run under the disasterous Steve Kragthorpe, but Petrino won huge there, and John L Smith won 2/3 of his games in his 5 years

I guess UConn and Louisville may have the same record in a couple of years, but what will that mean? Louisville will be playing a schedule that features FSU, Clemson, etc. And sadly Uconn looks like they will be playing in what is basically the MAC.

Right now Bama and Kent St have the same record, does that mean anything? (Well I guess it may mean something as KSU may get to go to a BCS bowl)

#1817 berniecarbo1

• 1,099 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Bernie, all due respect, Dave Gavitt would roll over in his grave if his name was associated with a still largely-southern conference. He was a Northeastern basketball guy first and foremost.
The fact that Cuse and Pitt have moved to the ACC would make him vomit. The only reason as a UConn fan I wanted to get into the ACC is because that's where our biggest rivals are. Other than that Fuckem.
Is it me or are UConn fans the only Big East BB/FB fans who wanted everything to stay the way they were? I enjoyed hating on the ACC, I enjoyed our basketball-first rivalries with some football thrown in. I love the BET in Madison Square Garden. Cuse and Pitt gone, but I guess at least UConn, G-town, St Johns and Nova will still give it that NE basketball feeling. Maybe Temple and Providence is on the upswing.
Oh well.

I think it is only UConn that wanted things to stay the way they were. Once the BE was first raided back in the early 2000's, the world of college sports changed. Everyone knew it and it became a case of survival. I used Gavitt's name only to make a point that when you line up the teams you see that 6 of the 14 teams in the ACC (well 7 of 15 if you include ND) are former BE programs...essentially the "old" BE and the "old" ACC merged.

When you look at the league as it is set up now, honestly it doesn;t look that bad in both football and basketball. I agree that it won't last and at this point I would be happy if UConn came in. But there has to be a reason no super conference wants them and I can't believe at this point that it is only Fr. Leahy standing in the way of their admission to the B1G, ACC or Big XII. In the past it clearly was BC keeping UConn out of the ACC as it has documented and admitted to by DiFillippo. Now? The university presidents voted to keep them out. I said last year that Leahy carried a lot of weight in the ACC and all the UConn fans crapped all over me. Maybe he does carry a lot of weight after all, but that again does not explain the fact that UConn has been shut out of all expansion deals to date. UConn is headed towards being a mid major program in all sports unless they can get into a conference quick.

#1818 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

In this article about FAU to CUSA, it mentions the Sun Belt had prelim contact with Ga Southern and App St (and an unnamed 3rd team thought to be Lamar or Sam Houston St) back in September. I would assume the phones are ringing on those campuses now.

http://www.sun-senti...0,3912422.story

#1819 OnWisc

• Pegs his jeans

• 1,109 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Great column from Dennis Dodd on why the Big 12 is pumped and jacked to have just 10 teams now and for the foreseeable future:

-- Big 12 expansion rests, indirectly, on a perceived gentleman's agreement with the SEC. The league supposedly would not expand to states where there currently are teams. That seemingly takes Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech out of the mix.

-- The Big 12 can't lose any schools in the next 13 years (see below) so a raid by another conference seems unlikely.

This I don't really get. Is this an agreement that came into place after the SEC poached two schools directly from the Big 12, including one in the Big 12's primary state? And if no schools can leave the Big 12 for thirteen years, then what is the benefit to the Big 12 of any such agreement? Are they really worried about the SEC scooping up Houston or SMU?

Given that their teams are apparently locked in for over a decade and therefore off limits to the SEC, all this 'gentleman's agreement' would seem to be is a promise by the Big 12 not to expand into SEC territory in the wake of the SEC expanding into theirs. Perhaps there's an obvious substantial benefit that I'm blanking on right now, but I just don't see it.

Also, thirteen years is not an exceptionally long period of time. And in seven years, you're dealing with recruits who'll be there when the deal expires and teams could exit. Which also means that in just a few seasons, coaches from other conferences are going to be telling recruits that the Big 12 school they're considering may have trouble securing additional talent in the future. Not so much an issue for Texas or OU (or OSU, who is probably secured a spot wherever OU lands), who'll be welcome almost anywhere, but a likely issue for the remainder of the conference.

Texas and OU will be fine, but I don't think it bodes well for the remainder of the Big 12 if the conference just sits back and watches everything unfold, content with their thirteen year cushion.

#1820 Sea Dog

• 2,128 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Saw somewhere (I'll have to dig and see if I can find that story again) that the Big 12's idea is to renew the grant of rights for another five years when it's within five years of expiring. That way, there's never any doubt about the conference's stability.

Edited by Sea Dog, 29 November 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#1821 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

In this article about FAU to CUSA, it mentions the Sun Belt had prelim contact with Ga Southern and App St (and an unnamed 3rd team thought to be Lamar or Sam Houston St) back in September. I would assume the phones are ringing on those campuses now.

http://www.sun-senti...0,3912422.story

Dennis Dodd reports GSU is indeed on their radar. And while the previous reports of Western Kentucky & New Mexico State already joining the C-USA proved incorrect, Dodd says NMSU and Idaho are both in play for the Sun Belt . Regarding WKU, C-USA is playing the Sgt. Schultz "we know nothing!" card.

Idaho, New Mexico State and Georgia Southern are on the Sun Belt's list of schools to replace Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic, CBSSports.com has learned.

Idaho and New Mexico State are immediately available. Both are exploring playing as independents after the demise of the WAC following this season. Georgia Southern is an emerging FCS program moving up to FBS. The school's students approved a student fee increase in September to finance the move.

Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky has said on three occassions in the past year that the league could possibly expand to 16 teams. He was asked Thursday, why not make the move to 16 now rather than waiting until another possible raid by the Big East.

"We're going to have a process," Banowsky said. "We kind of deal with arrangement of expectations. We focus on what the optimum structure is. Whether Big East moves again, we'll be ready. If they do, that's not really going to influence what we think is the best structure."

Banowsky said he had no idea about rumors that Western Kentucky and New Mexico State would be the next football additions to his conference.

Conference USA currently pays out $2 million-$3 million to members in TV revenue per year. Sun Belt's per-team number is approximately $1 million.

#1822 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Idaho in the Sun Belt makes as much sense as San Diego State in the Big East.

COME ON. Just get Mike Slive and Jim Delaney in a room and have them decide which schools are in each conference. The entire NCAA membership is losing credibility the more this goes on. It's making it hard for fans to even follow.

#1823 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, with the 'Doesn't add anything' factor, I'm pretty sure Clemson and FSU are bigger names in College FB than anyone left in the Big XII apart from Oklahoma and Texas - those two schools are the only current Big 12 members with higher attendances. I mean, this is a conference with Iowa State in it. The Big 12 isn't the SEC with half its schools regularly drawing over 80,000. In theory, adding just those two would be a great move. But that would probably destabilize the ACC enough to bring about the 16 team superconferences. And in that case, you probably do have to add teams that don't bring that much, depending on whether ND would eventually decide to go 10 or 12. But if the additional four were say, ND, Louisville, GTech and Miami, then you've got a conference which is close to or better than the SEC with VTech and NCSU. Or the Big 12 could invite VTech itself.

What I find really interesting about this notion of four 16-team superconferences is where the Pac goes. BYU, fine, but who are the other three? Air Force? Do they hold their noses and take Boise? Hawaii (is it worth the extra travel costs)? Fresno State or SDSU don't add anything. Maybe Nevada? You're either going to end up with ridiculous geography, or historically shitty western schools getting in over Eastern schools who would seem more deserving in everything but location.

#1824 bbc23

• 779 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Lot of smoke around GT and x team coming to the B1G

#1825 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, with the 'Doesn't add anything' factor, I'm pretty sure Clemson and FSU are bigger names in College FB than anyone left in the Big XII apart from Oklahoma and Texas - those two schools are the only current Big 12 members with higher attendances. I mean, this is a conference with Iowa State in it. The Big 12 isn't the SEC with half its schools regularly drawing over 80,000. In theory, adding just those two would be a great move. But that would probably destabilize the ACC enough to bring about the 16 team superconferences. And in that case, you probably do have to add teams that don't bring that much, depending on whether ND would eventually decide to go 10 or 12. But if the additional four were say, ND, Louisville, GTech and Miami, then you've got a conference which is close to or better than the SEC with VTech and NCSU. Or the Big 12 could invite VTech itself.

What I find really interesting about this notion of four 16-team superconferences is where the Pac goes. BYU, fine, but who are the other three? Air Force? Do they hold their noses and take Boise? Hawaii (is it worth the extra travel costs)? Fresno State or SDSU don't add anything. Maybe Nevada? You're either going to end up with ridiculous geography, or historically shitty western schools getting in over Eastern schools who would seem more deserving in everything but location.

If the Pac-12 ever gives up on the high-end schools that Larry Scott is likely targeting (Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame), and feels the need to go to 16 without them, I would imagine San Diego State and UNLV are the first two options. They bring huge new TV markets into the league and fit geographically. The California schools won't love it, but they added Utah and I wouldn't have believed that 5 years ago, either. If the home run options aren't there, and they have to expand, those are the two schools I'd bet on.

#1826 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Lot of smoke around GT and x team coming to the B1G

That rumor started on a WV football blog. Other dubious reports have since trickled in. All summarized here.

I'll believe it when some actual reputable reporters confirm it.

#1827 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

The Big East is sure to be a shambles no matter what they do, but moves like this one by its member schools can't hurt.

Memphis schedules home-and-home games with UCLA for 2014 & 2017

#1828 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,298 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

This I don't really get. Is this an agreement that came into place after the SEC poached two schools directly from the Big 12, including one in the Big 12's primary state? And if no schools can leave the Big 12 for thirteen years, then what is the benefit to the Big 12 of any such agreement? Are they really worried about the SEC scooping up Houston or SMU?

That section of the article was poorly worded; The gentlemen's agreement is not "Big 12 with SEC" but just in the SEC. The conference doesn't want to add schools in states that already have schools, so they aren't adding Florida St, Miami, Clemson, or GT. If the SEC doesn't add them, then their only option is Big 12. Big 10 is too far, and Big East is almost a non-entity at this point.

I'm not sure getting to 16 is as essential for the Big 12 or Pac 12, so I think we'll have four stronger conferences and then a weak ACC.
If there is future movement in this round, I think the cookies crumble this way.
Big 10 adds two of UVa, UNC or Syracuse
SEC adds NCst and VaTech
ACC adds UConn and Cinci, stays at 12

At that point, things will cool down and the Big 12 has all the time in the world to decide if they want to stand pat, or to go to 14 by adding four ACC schools: FSU, GT, Clemson, and either Miami or Pitt.

If the Pac-12 ever gives up on the high-end schools that Larry Scott is likely targeting (Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame), and feels the need to go to 16 without them, I would imagine San Diego State and UNLV are the first two options. They bring huge new TV markets into the league and fit geographically. The California schools won't love it, but they added Utah and I wouldn't have believed that 5 years ago, either. If the home run options aren't there, and they have to expand, those are the two schools I'd bet on.

In the end, I think the Pac12 sit at 12, scan the landscape, see how the other conferences handle at 14-16. Basically the same thing when everyone went to 12 and the Pac-10 expanded years later. They are going to wait until something good happens; either a team in the Big 12 wants out, or a mid-major in a solid market (UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico) pulls a Utah and establishes itself. UCLA, Stanford and USC already have a big enough presence in SD that SDSU isn't needed. Boise isn't a big enough market, but if they ever make or win an NCG, all bets are off though.

BYU is established, but Pac12 already have the Utah market. The only threat with BYU is the Big 12 grabbing them, but I don't think it'll happen. If the Big 12 expands, they are going east, not west.

Edited by Infield Infidel, 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#1829 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5,218 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

That section of the article was poorly worded; The gentlemen's agreement is not "Big 12 with SEC" but just in the SEC. The conference doesn't want to add schools in states that already have schools, so they aren't adding Florida St, Miami, Clemson, or GT. If the SEC doesn't add them, then their only option is Big 12. Big 10 is too far, and Big East is almost a non-entity at this point.

I'm not sure getting to 16 is as essential for the Big 12 or Pac 12, so I think we'll have four stronger conferences and then a weak ACC.
If there is future movement in this round, I think the cookies crumble this way.
Big 10 adds two of UVa, UNC or Syracuse
SEC adds NCst and VaTech
ACC adds UConn and Cinci, stays at 12

At that point, things will cool down and the Big 12 has all the time in the world to decide if they want to stand pat, or to go to 14 by adding four ACC schools: FSU, GT, Clemson, and either Miami or Pitt.

In the end, I think the Pac12 sit at 12, scan the landscape, see how the other conferences handle at 14-16. Basically the same thing when everyone went to 12 and the Pac-10 expanded years later. They are going to wait until something good happens; either a team in the Big 12 wants out, or a mid-major in a solid market (UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico) pulls a Utah and establishes itself. UCLA, Stanford and USC already have a big enough presence in SD that SDSU isn't needed. Boise isn't a big enough market, but if they ever make or win an NCG, all bets are off though.

BYU is established, but Pac12 already have the Utah market. The only threat with BYU is the Big 12 grabbing them, but I don't think it'll happen. If the Big 12 expands, they are going east, not west.

Two things I'm pretty certain on:

1) BYU will not join any conference that compromises BYU TV. They have a massive investment in that network, they produce their own content, and they're really happy with it. They have a cheap but competitive home for their non-football sports, and football has TV deals and bowl tie-ins already.

2) Nevada will never join the Pac-12. Reno is a tiny market, their facilities are awful, and the program is broke.

#1830 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

The Pac 12 has little reason to expand since there are very few schools that would improve their overall conference status, and there's pretty much zero chance they'll be poached by a competitor. They have to be loving this latest spate of instability, just sitting on the sidelines watching the eastern conferences eat each other alive. Even as the Big Ten and ACC have made themselves stronger, nothing those two conferences have done adversely impacts the Pac 12. And if the SEC and/or Big 12 make any subsequent moves to add schools, they won't mean jack shit to the left third of the country. The only moves that might affect the Pac 12 would be Boise & SDSU returning to the MWC, and the impact would be negligible.

If somewhere down the line the P12 comes up with something to attract BYU, Texas & Oklahoma while addressing any proprietary TV issues with those schools, then they'll have something to gain through expansion. They'll be strengthening themselves in a huge way geographically and financially while making the Big 12 a eunuch.

But neither the Big 12 or the Big Ten is going to make a play for any current Pac 12 member because they can't offer them anything they don't already have.

Edited by mabrowndog, 30 November 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#1831 OnWisc

• Pegs his jeans

• 1,109 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

That makes much more sense. I've heard the same regarding Florida, UGA, South Carolina and Kentucky all agreeing to collectively vote against additional schools from those states entering the SEC.

I generally remain of the opinion that once the Maryland exit fee is determined, FSU and the Big 12 will determing much of what happens next.

#1832 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,396 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Kevin jones who was first to say Louisville got votes in ACC is sayin GTech and UVa to Big10. He is a sports producer / reporter for DC tv station and does accblog. I think big is going to 18 or 20. Lets see how stout the big12 is about staying at 10. And who the SEC wants.

This could get crazy if true. And not in a good way

Edited by Clears Cleaver, 01 December 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#1833 Dan Murfman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

The Big East is being proactive. They have added Old Dominion for women's field hockey.

http://www.bigeast.o...eld-Hockey.aspx

“Old Dominion is an excellent addition to the BIG EAST for field hockey," said Commissioner Mike Aresco. "They will help BIG EAST field hockey maintain its elite, national status."

#1834 Dan Murfman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well it looks like the ACC is done with realignment.

theACC 2:05pm via HootSuite
The #ACC Council of Presidents shared a statement regarding their united commitment to the conference. Read it here: ow.ly/fSW1N

Statement from the ACC Council of Presidents
Statement on December 6, 2012
Posted Image
Dec. 6, 2012

“We, the undersigned presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference, wish to express our commitment to preserve and protect the future of our outstanding league. We want to be clear that the speculation about ACC schools in negotiations or considering alternatives to the ACC are totally false. The presidents of the ACC are united in our commitment to a strong and enduring conference. The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically, and the constitution of our existing and future member schools will maintain the ACC’s position as one of the nation’s premier conferences.”

Fr. William Leahy, Boston College
Mr. James Barker, Clemson University
Dr. Richard Brodhead, Duke University
Dr. Eric Barron, Florida State University
Dr. G.P. “Bud” Peterson, Georgia Institute of Technology
Dr. James Ramsey, University of Louisville
Dr. Donna Shalala, University of Miami
Dr. Holden Thorp, University of North Carolina
Dr. Randy Woodson, North Carolina State University
Fr. John Jenkins, University of Notre Dame
Dr. Mark Nordenberg, University of Pittsburgh
Dr. Nancy Cantor, Syracuse University
Dr. Teresa Sullivan, University of Virginia
Dr. Charles Steger, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University

#1835 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 9,254 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Big East deal worth as little as $60 million?

http://www.cbssports...illion-per-year

#1836 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Is that ACC thing a joke? Is that on the Onion or something like that? I mean how pathetic looking.

Now if they coupled that with everyone signing a GOR, then that would be a big FU to Delany or even the Big 12. But especially Delany..

I get the feeling the ACC is the wife who just got beat up for the first time by some really strong jealous husband and she's waiting for another beating. Delany is standing over her ready for the next swipe once he found out she was seen laughing at a company holiday party with a leprechaun.

#1837 bosox188

• 1,139 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Is that ACC thing a joke? Is that on the Onion or something like that? I mean how pathetic looking.

Now if they coupled that with everyone signing a GOR, then that would be a big FU to Delany or even the Big 12. But especially Delany..

I get the feeling the ACC is the wife who just got beat up for the first time by some really strong jealous husband and she's waiting for another beating. Delany is standing over her ready for the next swipe once he found out she was seen laughing at a company holiday party with a leprechaun.

I was just waiting for the part where they announce they all got matching BFF bracelets.

#1838 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,297 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Does that make the Big East the lady that became a lesbian after her husband beat her?

#1839 Dan Murfman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Does that make the Big East the lady that became a lesbian after her husband beat her?

Lol!!!!

#1840 mabrowndog

• 38,408 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

At the risk of being (incorrectly) perceived as a supporter of spousal abuse...

Holy shit. Extremely well played on both counts.

#1841 Williams Head Case

• 1,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Take it for what it is worth (almost nothing), but hearing through a friend's source who has a friend in the athletic dept. that Xavier may be involved in some conference realignment. I hate playing telephone, but I heard Big East.

I will not stake my membership/first born/change in my pocket on this, but oh hell this is a message board.

Edit: Further, hearing Big East split between football and basketball schools is happening.

Edited by Williams Head Case, 06 December 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#1842 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

If the basketballs split from the football schools, absolutely.

#1843 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Take it for what it is worth (almost nothing), but hearing through a friend's source who has a friend in the athletic dept. that Xavier may be involved in some conference realignment. I hate playing telephone, but I heard Big East.

I will not stake my membership/first born/change in my pocket on this, but oh hell this is a message board.

Edit: Further, hearing Big East split between football and basketball schools is happening.

Even with UConn still a part of the conference?

#1844 SuperManny

• 274 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hadn't seen this out there yet. Obviously not likely but interesting none the less.

Source: A-10 open to expansion

The Atlantic 10 has discussed the possibility of a 21-team basketball league in the event that the changing conference landscape makes high-profile Big East schools available, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com Tuesday.

The A-10 has been proactive over the last year, strengthening its brand as a high-profile basketball conference with the additions of Butler and VCU, two programs that were in the 2011 Final Four.

The A-10 currently is a 16-team conference for the 2012-13 season, but Temple and Charlotte are set to leave for the Big East and Conference USA, respectively.

The 21-team model would occur if the A-10 were to add the seven Big East Catholic schools (Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova) that met Sunday in New York with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco to go over their options.
The seven Big East Catholic schools are attempting to secure the best television deal possible and are debating whether to split from the league.

#1845 Williams Head Case

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I guess after the big game of telephone my information was slightly skewed. The Big East split is happening, but it would be the Catholic schools joining the A-10 or retaining the Big East brand after the split and adding other Xavier-like schools.

#1846 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2,270 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Wow. i've been saying for a long time that URI was going to get burnt when the Big East Catholic schools came to steal Xavier, Butler, etc... But I hadn't thought about this possibility. Still seems like a long shot to me.

Temple would be hosed in that scenario big time.

#1847 soxfan80000001

• 1,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

This went out on Dec 3rd, FWIW

Dear Friar Fans:

Providence College takes its commitment to the College's athletic programs, most specifically, the men’s basketball program, very seriously.

The Friar men’s basketball program is the cornerstone of our athletic department and a key component of Providence College. I want to assure our alumni and our fans that we are taking the necessary steps to ensure the future success of all of our athletic programs, including men’s basketball. We believe that Ed Cooley is one of the top coaches in the nation. In the last 18 months, Coach Cooley and his staff have brought some of the top players in the nation to Providence College. Ensuring that Coach Cooley is here to guide our program and that he has all the essential elements to run a championship caliber program is something we are working to solidify.

We believe that Providence College men’s basketball is poised for a run of great success and is on the verge of becoming one of the top college basketball teams in the country. We want to create an environment that allows us to sustain success and provide you, the fans, with the excitement that you deserve.

While it may appear to some that recent realignment news is eroding the environment for our men’s basketball program, we remain optimistic about our future. We believe that with change comes opportunity. There are opportunities now for us to position our athletic department and our men’s basketball program for long-term success. We will explore every opportunity in order to reach our goal.

We have some of the greatest fans in the nation. Please continue to support us and know that we working tirelessly to ensure that Providence College athletics and its men’s basketball program will continue to be strong and proud.

Sincerely,
Bob Driscoll
Athletics Director
Providence College

#1848 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,149 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Wow. i've been saying for a long time that URI was going to get burnt when the Big East Catholic schools came to steal Xavier, Butler, etc... But I hadn't thought about this possibility. Still seems like a long shot to me.

Temple would be hosed in that scenario big time.

We're actually well positioned for the time being.

#1849 StuckOnYouk

• 2,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

So Sandusky bangs little boys in the shower but it's UConn that gets the ultimate death penalty in college sports. If the Catholic schools leave the BE, I mean for crying out loud. You can't script this stuff.

#1850 8slim

• SoSH Member

• 6,304 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

So Sandusky bangs little boys in the shower but it's UConn that gets the ultimate death penalty in college sports. If the Catholic schools leave the BE, I mean for crying out loud. You can't script this stuff.

This may come off harsher than I intend, but...if UConn made the committment to major college football 10-15 years earlier they most likely wouldn't be in this spot.

That being said, I still am fairly certain that in time UConn will be OK.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users