Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox Draft Chris Hernandez, LHP, Miami (FL) - 7th Round --> Huge Sleeper

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Velocity3107

• 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

As a UM student I have had the pleasure of watching Herndandez throughout all three of his college seasons since our Freshman years coincided.

Off the bat, I know he's going to be a good pro. This kid was dominating the best college hitters in the country, on national television, as a true freshman, for the #1 team in the country as the Friday night starter. He was named the national freshman of the year for college baseball.

He shows tremendous poise on the mound, with great control. He is great at painting corners though he does mysteriously come undone for an inning every game or so and hit a guy. Even when this happens, he is able to re-gain his focus and get a double play ball to get out of the inning. The kid is an absolute robot.

His main fastball tops out at around 91-92 (avg. 89) with a LOT of cut towards a right handed hitter and downward movement. It is a cutter. There is no mistaking it. He also throws an upper 70's, low 80's changeup as his strikeout pitch and ocassionaly mixes in a decent curveball. But mainly, right now he's a cutter/changeup guy who mixes speed and hits corners with about 8-12 MPH separation between the pitches.

He also has a plus pickoff move and is very good at controlling the opposition's running game.

By The Numbers
2008: 11-0, 2.72 ERA, 112 IP, 18 BB, 117 K, 99 GB, 48 FB
2009: 7-5, 4.76 ERA, 90 IP, 31 BB, 93 K, 117 GB, 40 FB
2010: 10-3, 2.76 ERA, 99 IP, 32 BB, 106 K, 142 GB, 59 FB

Other teams may have been scared off by his sophomore season, but his peripherals were just fine, as you can see. He gets hitters to consistently pound the ball into the ground, and this has really improved during his 3 years. Miami was a mess defensively in 2009 (ESPECIALLY around the infield) which is what really hurt his ERA. We had several guys throw up 2+ error games behind him, and although those runs were unearned, not every poor play gets ruled an error. This year his numbers have returned to form, and he has gotten great defense behind him from two freshman middle infielders. This is much more than just a coincidence. If he has good infield defense, he is a stud.

This kid has had a K/BB ratio of over 3 every season, absurdly high GB rates, and he's shown an ability to post over one strikeout per inning against some of (if not) THE best competition in the country in the ACC.

Player Comparison: Mike Hampton with a higher K/9 (without the hitting ability). Future durable #3 SP.

He's not overly impressive when you watch him once, but he's an absolute joy to watch on a consistent basis. As both a Sox and a Cane fan, I very selfishly hope he comes back to school if we don't win a title this year.

He will be starting Friday night against the Florida Gators on ESPN @ 7 PM. I encourage you to watch one of your future Sox in a hostile environment.

http://hurricanespor...ez_chris00.html

#2 Velocity3107

• 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Correction: He might not be pitching Friday night. He threw 90 pitches on Saturday vs. Texas A&M, then came back today following a rain delay to last night's elimination game, and threw 2 innings of 1 BB, 4K relief. There is a change he goes Saturday night vs. the Gators rather than Friday.

#3 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20205 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Velocity3107 @ Jun 8 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His main fastball tops out at around 91-92 (avg. 89) with a LOT of cut towards a right handed hitter and downward movement. It is a cutter. There is no mistaking it. He also throws an upper 70's, low 80's changeup as his strikeout pitch and ocassionaly mixes in a decent curveball. But mainly, right now he's a cutter/changeup guy who mixes speed and hits corners with about 8-12 MPH separation between the pitches.

That's an interesting mix of pitches -- a left-handed Brian Bannister, perhaps. Does he throw the occasional 4-seam fastball at 92 and the cutter at 89, or is that a range of velocity on his cutter?

#4 Velocity3107

• 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Sprowl @ Jun 8 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's an interesting mix of pitches -- a left-handed Brian Bannister, perhaps. Does he throw the occasional 4-seam fastball at 92 and the cutter at 89, or is that a range of velocity on his cutter?

In person it's obviously tough to tell from the stands, and A-rod Park didn't even get a stadium gun until this year. From the 3 occasions I've seen from behind him on TV, it definitely looks like he has 2 different fastballs and mixes speeds on both, but each has movement. I'd have to say the Cutter has it's best movement at around 88-89 but he's definitely peeled off some real nasty ones with a few more MPH on them.

When he is trying to paint one on the outside corner to a righty, you see him hit a smooth 92 with downward movement. It's definitely a more hittable pitch though. His cutter is just nasty. He's also messes around with a slider at times by taking even more off of his cutter and it seems to really break in on the 10-4 plane. The curveball is more of a 12-6 spike but its not all that advanced yet.

He mixes speeds so much that its really tough to get a read on him sometimes. I really encourage you to tune in this weekend and see him firsthand. He's a very unique pitcher.

Edit:
I forgot to include this before. You can see his delivery in this video. http://baseballbegin...ernandez-video/

He's probably not going to throw any harder than he does now. He gets a big arm whip going to get his speed up. It looks like the last pitch in the video is his cutter. The thing is dirty moving in on a righty

Edited by Velocity3107, 08 June 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#5 TimScribble

• 302 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hernandez is pitching tonight on ESPN2 against Florida.

#6 bean8282

• 425 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (TimScribble @ Jun 12 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hernandez is pitching tonight on ESPN2 against Florida.

And well. Just lifted with men on first and second with one down in the ninth leading 3-2.

#7 TimScribble

• 302 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

He pitched good tonight. His defense was horrible. 8 IP, 3 R, 1ER (even that one could have been prevented if his SS didnt bobble a DB ball).

I think Miami made 6 errors tonight. He had the win in the bag, but both the SS and 3rd baseman made 9th inning errors that allowed a run to score.

Edited by TimScribble, 12 June 2010 - 09:18 PM.

#8 Green Monster

• 1527 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

Gutsy performance by Hernandez.......unfortunately, 6 Miami errors proved critical

Time to sign with the Sox!

#9 Lavinius

• 156 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Green Monster @ Jun 12 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gutsy performance by Hernandez.......unfortunately, 6 Miami errors proved critical

7 (6 with Hernandez in the game, if that's what you're getting at). The Canes' D has been an achillies heel all year. It's a testament to Hernandez he's been able to pitch as well as he has.

QUOTE (Green Monster @ Jun 12 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Time to sign with the Sox!

A-FREAKIN-MEN!

#10 Bigpupp

• 789 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Can those that watched it speak to his arsenal during the game?

Edited by Bigpupp, 12 June 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#11 MuzzyField

• 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

From box seats between home and third he looked great. As previously noted, the Canes can't catch and all of the extra outs pretty much defined the Gators "offense" in this game. This is a Florida team that has some potent bats in the lineup and Hernandez silenced them.

He kept the Gators off balance, confused and defensive... nothing was really hit hard and he induced many weak foul balls. There wasn't a radar gun available so I have no idea how much gas he has, but for a 7th round pick that throws from the left side it will be interesting to see how he develops.

I look forward to watching the game later on my DVR to take a closer look at him and enjoy the Gators' Omaha trip clinching victory, with the sound muted for obvious reasons.

Edited by MuzzyField, 12 June 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#12 TimScribble

• 302 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

I know in the 8th inning according to the ESPN gun, he was still hitting around 91-92. It appeared that one of his dominant pitches was a cutter. It really cut in a lot on right handed hitters, causing a lot of fly balls to not have much power on them. (Due to the ball getting closer to the handle of the bat). A good number of ground balls hit also. He really pitched well and I think that if his defense would not have made any errors he might have ended up with a complete game shutout.

Edited by TimScribble, 13 June 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#13 Bigpupp

• 789 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

92 is encouraging. From what I've read he's more of an 88-90 guy.

Hopefully we can get him signed.

#14 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9482 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

No one has updated this in a while so I thought I'd just mention that he did sign, and for a lot less than what his original asking price was.

The Sox also signed left-hander Chris Hernandez, a seventh-round selection out of the University of Miami, for $375,000.

http://fullcount.wee...hris-hernandez/

Sox Prospects is worried about his lack of velocity, but 92 on a cutter seems like it could be good enough if the 'stuff' is there as well.

http://www.soxprospe...andez-chris.htm

Edit: oops, I thought this was in the adopt-a-prospect subforum.

Edited by Andrew, 28 August 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#15 mikeot

• 2520 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Posted this earlier on "Adopt a Prospect:" fansite article touting Hernandez as underrated by big club: http://bosoxinjectio...hris-hernandez/ ... pretty good piece by a 15-year old.

Edited by mikeot, 04 August 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#16 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1930 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Posted this earlier on "Adopt a Prospect:" fansite article touting Hernandez as underrated by big club: http://bosoxinjectio...hris-hernandez/ ... pretty good piece by a 15-year old.

Is this like your nephew or something?

I'm sorry, but Hernandez really isn't all that intriguing and hasn't been for a while now. Average fastball, below-average secondary. Hasn't shown the same type of command since his freshman year in college.

#17 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4974 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

I like you GG33 but I don't think he deserved that kind of scorn for posting an article. The author at 15 doesn't know enough about how to valuate minor leaguers. At that age who does? You have a unique advantage because of where you work. How you choose to enlighten people is ultimately up to you but I would hope you chose to do so in a more friendly manner.

I'd also encourage people to listen to BP and BA podcasts. You'll get a heads up on some of the things GG33 mentioned.