Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Offseason NHL transactions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
623 replies to this topic

#551 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16944 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Tim Kennedy clears waivers and is bought out, per Nicholas Mendola.

I'm going to get psoriasis from all this head scratching.

#552 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Interesting press conference with Regier.

My question is with Myers, Montador, Rivet (ready by camp), Leopold, Gragnani, Weber, Butler, and Sekera, why was the $2.075m AAV deal for Morrisonn necessary?

edit: I would kill for a journalist like Bucky Gleason in the Boston media.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 03 August 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#553 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9295 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

Regier screwed the pooch on this one; he should have anticipated what the arbitrator was going to award Kennedy and not qualified him in the first place if the Sabres weren't willing to pay him more.

When he said in the press conference that Sabres management never expected TK would get that kind of award, either he's lying or incompetent.

#554 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Maxim Afinogenov signs with SKA St. Petersburg, 5 years at a reported $2.5m AAV.

Google translation:

Striker Maxim Afinogenov returned to Russia after years of career in the NHL. Mad Max has signed a contract with the Petersburg SKA on the This was announced today that the President of the KHL and the Army club, Alexander Medvedev, during the presentation of other stellar newbies - Nabokov and Grebeshkov.

Maxim - a wonderful striker, who has long proved itself, - said Medvedev. - I am glad that another ice hockey team Russia will act in the CHL. The more players in our league, the better.

After the end of the contract Atlanta refused to raise wages Afinogenov, despite the fact that the season for it came out successful. As before, the contract Maxim earned nearly a million dollars a year, but refused to raise interest rates not only Atlanta, but other clubs NHL. According to the Life Sports, CCA will pay an attacker to about 2,5 million dollars per season. Apparently, this was the main motivation of love for his homeland.

#555 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17306 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Kovy decision expected Monday.

#556 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19002 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Sports Business Journal reporting league wins Kovalchuk case.

#557 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

With no teams willing to give up a top-6 forward and first rounder for Tomas Kaberle, he stays put and now has an NTC activated as of midnight last night. Here is the Leafs' d-corps, to which they have $25,505,000 committed next season:

Kaberle - Phaneuf
Beauchemin - Komisarek
Gunnarsson - Schenn
Lebda/Finger

For perspective, the Sabres have $12,576,666.67 committed to their blue line. The Bruins, even with Chara, have only $18m. Even if the Leafs waive Finger and put his 2 years at $3.5m AAV in the AHL, they'll still be outspending every other team in the division by at least $2m on defenders. Burke just might've talked himself into a corner on this one.

edit: There is no doubt that if all of those players play up to their potentials, the Leafs would have the best defensive lineup in the league. Probably not happening, though.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 16 August 2010 - 07:41 AM.

#558 Monbo Jumbo

• 19002 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Not a player transaction - but...

The Thrashers are moving to 'variable ticket pricing' - the same seat has different prices for different games - and prices for a game can rise or fall with supply or demand like an airline ticket. In a letter to STHs, the team said season tickets would also have a variable price for each game and the price to the public for any game won't go below what the variable price is for that seat to a STH. The Thrashers lost a lot of STHs in the past when they sharply discounted tickets throughout the year This year they heavily slashed season tickets in some sections. So they're making an effort to let the STHs know they won't be undercut.

They will charge a premium though for weekend games against teams that draw well.

#559 Monbo Jumbo

• 19002 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Thrashers sign Freddie Meyer to a two-way deal - 500k over 100k.

Also - Russian prospect Andrei Zubarev is in town and skated at the team facility today - sounds like he's signing too. And Boris Valabik says he'll be 100% for training camp. Some serious competition for the bottom of the D corps with Sopel and Kulda in the mix also.

Bryan Little is also reportedly close to agreeing to terms, leaving only Bergfors for Thrasher RFA to be signed.

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 20 August 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#560 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Pens with a great signing - Arron Asham, 1 year, $700k.

link

#561 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Pens with a great signing - Arron Asham, 1 year, $700k.

link

I'm going to miss Asham. I agree, good sign for the Pens.

#562 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

As Monbo alluded to, per Nick Kypreos, the Thrashers re-sign Brian Little.

Apologies. Bryan Little agrees to 7.15 over 3 years. 1.65M/ 2.5M / 3M. Cap hit is 2.38M

#563 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17306 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Kovy rumor mill keeps a churnin:

@dchesnokov I heard similar RT @plysenkov: As I know, at Monday-Tuesday (Mon most likely) Ilya Kovalchuk will sign new contract with NJ.

#564 Monbo Jumbo

• 19002 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Kovy rumor mill keeps a churnin:

@dchesnokov I heard similar RT @plysenkov: As I know, at Monday-Tuesday (Mon most likely) Ilya Kovalchuk will sign new contract with NJ.

Yes - Kovy murmers out of Russia suggest signing is imminent. Those guys tend to get it right. It will be interesting to see how front-loaded the contract is. Daly's comments from NHL office last week about potential penalties overhanging other contracts under investigation seemed to be a thinly-veiled message to the Devils not to push it with the Kovy contract.

But after reading the Forbes article about Van derBeek, he seems like the business equivalent of Kovalchuk - i.e. he doesn't get back on defense. It could be NHL vs. Devils round #2. We'll see.

In other news - Huet loaned to a Swiss team - Hawks knock over 5mil from their cap.

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 23 August 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#565 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2713 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

In other news - Huet loaned to a Swiss team - Hawks knock over 5mil from their cap.

"Paging passenger Tim Thomas...your flight to Helsinki will be held as long as necessary to get you on board and playing in Finland again."

#566 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17306 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

How the hell is loaning a dude to Europe and getting him from crippling your cap NOT cap circumvention?

#567 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11036 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

The same way loaning him to an AHL team and getting him from crippling your cap isn't?

#568 erfus

• 1584 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

I'm going to miss Asham. I agree, good sign for the Pens.

I have to think a lot of GMs are scratching their head about it. Shawn Thornton makes 813k and had as many points as Asham had goals. Maybe Asham's not in that category of enforcer, but damn if he's not a much better hockey player.

Pretty impressive job by the Hawks to get back under the cap. It goes to show you cap trouble isn't so much of a problem as long as you give the money to (mostly) valued assets. It helps to have an owner willing to eat a 5.6m mistake...

#569 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

I have to think a lot of GMs are scratching their head about it. Shawn Thornton makes 813k and had as many points as Asham had goals. Maybe Asham's not in that category of enforcer, but damn if he's not a much better hockey player.

He's almost perfect in that regard. He can take a regular 3rd/4th line shift, be an energy guy and not kill you, and when the gloves come off he's willing and able despite not being a real heavyweight by any means. I'd have much preferred keeping Asham to signing Shelley (for more money and years), it wasn't as if the Flyers got pushed around all year and needed a true goon (outside of the one Colton Orr game where he ran Leighton and everybody got their panties in a twist). But once they decided they needed Shelley, and re-signed Carcillo, there just wasn't room for Asham with those 2 guys, and with Laperriere already there.

#570 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17306 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Wait, Carcillo isn't a true goon? I mean maybe he's not a heavyweight but if he's not a true goon, who is?

#571 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11036 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Aaron Ward hangs 'em up.

Aaron Ward, acquired from the Rangers for Paul Mara at the 2007 trade deadline, has retired from the NHL. The three-time champion hangs up his skates with 839 career games for five clubs, including the Bruins from 2007-09.

#572 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Wait, Carcillo isn't a true goon? I mean maybe he's not a heavyweight but if he's not a true goon, who is?

Nah, Carbombz scores too much to be a goon ;)

But seriously...Carcillo's way more agitator than goon. More comparable to Ott, Avery, guys like that than the real heavyweights like Shelley, Orr, and Boogaard.

BYW Boogaard is such an awesome goon name, I can't wait for the Rags to drum up some boogie/boogeyman theme music for him.

Edited by MoGator71, 24 August 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#573 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13004 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

He's almost perfect in that regard. He can take a regular 3rd/4th line shift, be an energy guy and not kill you, and when the gloves come off he's willing and able despite not being a real heavyweight by any means. I'd have much preferred keeping Asham to signing Shelley (for more money and years), it wasn't as if the Flyers got pushed around all year and needed a true goon (outside of the one Colton Orr game where he ran Leighton and everybody got their panties in a twist). But once they decided they needed Shelley, and re-signed Carcillo, there just wasn't room for Asham with those 2 guys, and with Laperriere already there.

The rumors are he's going to play with Malkin/Staal on the 2nd line, so he's going to get every chance to prove himself.

#574 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

The rumors are he's going to play with Malkin/Staal on the 2nd line, so he's going to get every chance to prove himself.

Really? Wow. That's a great opportunity for him, but I think he'll drive you guys nuts if he's in your top-6. With those linemates he'll get tons of chances, and he won't finish nearly as many as he should because of his hands. For the Flyers he played a little with Richards and Gagne and a lot with JVR and Giroux, and he got good scoring chances a lot (especially on Giroux's wing), but he just doesn't finish well.

#575 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

Sadly for the Pens, outside of Malkin/Crosby/Staal, "top six" doesn't mean too much, I agree with the assessment that Asham is simply a better player than Pascal Dupuis. This would be a great lineup for the Pens imo:

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Malkin - Staal - Asham
Cooke - Talbot - Tangradi
Rupp - Letestu - Dupuis
Godard/Adams

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 25 August 2010 - 02:29 AM.

#576 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Kings look to have signed Willie Mitchell per Kypreos.

Canucks sign Raffi Torres to a 1 year, $1m deal.

Per The Bob, Tampa re-signs Downie for 2 years, $3.7m total ($1.85m cap hit)

#577 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6142 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Raffi Torres for $1M is a great deal.

#578 jk333

• 1778 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Sadly for the Pens, outside of Malkin/Crosby/Staal, "top six" doesn't mean too much, I agree with the assessment that Asham is simply a better player than Pascal Dupuis. This would be a great lineup for the Pens imo:

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Malkin - Staal - Asham
Cooke - Talbot - Tangradi
Rupp - Letestu - Dupuis
Godard/Adams

I can't believe Chris Bourque couldn't crack that lineup. I guess I should - haha.

#579 ForceAtHome

• 4012 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

I can't believe Chris Bourque couldn't crack that lineup. I guess I should - haha.

I think it's a valid debate whether Chris Bourque is hockey's equivalent of a AAAA player, or if he could be a solid NHLer. I happen to believe the latter under the right conditions.

I didn't see Bourque's games with Pittsburgh, so I could be off base here, but his problem in Washington was that he was used as a grinder fill-in when he's a skill player. Chris Bourque is a tough and feisty player, but blessed with size he is not. It's not easy for a guy that's listed at a potentially generous 5'7 to play a checking role in the NHL. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if he were a better fit with Staal and Malkin than Asham. But, alas, it looks like we won't see him in the NHL for at least a couple of years now. In my opinion he's got the skill of 2nd line player on team that isn't too deep but can draw attention away from him (hello, Staal and Malkin). The major drawback is that he has the height of a junior varsity high school player, so it's hard for him to "break in" to the league and earn his way up the ladder.

Bourque was a really fun guy with watch in Hershey.

#580 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7243 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

You just summed up Gerbe and probably a host of other small but skilled forwards. Looks like Gerbe will at least get top 9 minutes this year but I really think he needs top 6 to thrive. He was one of the more impressve Buffalo forwards in the playoffs so there's definitely potential there.

And yes this was just an excuse to talk about my man-crush on Nathan Gerbe.

#581 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13004 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

I think it's a valid debate whether Chris Bourque is hockey's equivalent of a AAAA player, or if he could be a solid NHLer. I happen to believe the latter under the right conditions.

I didn't see Bourque's games with Pittsburgh, so I could be off base here, but his problem in Washington was that he was used as a grinder fill-in when he's a skill player. Chris Bourque is a tough and feisty player, but blessed with size he is not. It's not easy for a guy that's listed at a potentially generous 5'7 to play a checking role in the NHL. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if he were a better fit with Staal and Malkin than Asham. But, alas, it looks like we won't see him in the NHL for at least a couple of years now. In my opinion he's got the skill of 2nd line player on team that isn't too deep but can draw attention away from him (hello, Staal and Malkin). The major drawback is that he has the height of a junior varsity high school player, so it's hard for him to "break in" to the league and earn his way up the ladder.

Bourque was a really fun guy with watch in Hershey.

Chris Bourque got a chance to play with everyone in Pittsburgh and was awful. No two ways about it.

#582 ForceAtHome

• 4012 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Chris Bourque got a chance to play with everyone in Pittsburgh and was awful. No two ways about it.

Well, at least I added the clarifier that I didn't see Bourque's games in PIT! Did he really get much of a shot on anything above a 3rd or 4th line role at ES though? Since Bourque was pretty much dead last in TOI/game in Pittsburgh (only Rupp and Goddard were lower), I assumed that similarly to Washington, he was relegated to a much lesser role.

#583 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13004 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

I am fairly certain that Kunitz was out at one point in late Oct/early Nov and he got to play with Sid until Kunitz came back a week or two later. I believe he had one assist during that period.

#584 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Between the Chris Bourque and Arron Asham discussions I'd say it's pretty clear we're all ready for the season to start.

Tampa signs Randy Jones.

#585 kenneycb

• 7243 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Just saw it on the Bottom Line so I don't have a linke but:

Paul Kariya ruled out for the year due to post-concussion symptoms. He was always one of my favorite players and his goal in the Stanley Cup after getting knocked out by Stevens still gives me goosebumps.

#586 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Leafs with two moves today.

Clarke MacArthur, 1 year, $1.1m (far cry from the arbiter's $2.4m decision). Link

They've also acquired Matt Lashoff for Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati. Eyyyyy!

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 28 August 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#587 Monbo Jumbo

• 19002 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Clarke MacArthur, 1 year, $1.1m (far cry from the arbiter's $2.4m decision). Link

...![/url]

FYI on that 2.4 mil arb award. It occurred because the Thrashers wanted a high award. They'd already decided to walk on MacArthur after getting Ladd. If he was awarded 1.6 or less, they would have had to accept it then buy him out. At the arb, Mac's agent asked for 2.4 - the Thrashers said they weren't going to make a presentation and asked the arbitrator to make a ruling then and there.

Effin briliant if you ask me.

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 28 August 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#588 jk333

• 1778 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well, at least I added the clarifier that I didn't see Bourque's games in PIT! Did he really get much of a shot on anything above a 3rd or 4th line role at ES though? Since Bourque was pretty much dead last in TOI/game in Pittsburgh (only Rupp and Goddard were lower), I assumed that similarly to Washington, he was relegated to a much lesser role.

More Bourque news - he's going to the KHL to play.

I agree, his stats are good/great and he looks even better when you watch him play a lot. He's got good instincts in the offensive end. All that said he obviously didn't play well in Pittsburgh but perhaps limited ice time was a factor. It may come down to if you believe that AAAA players really exist or if they just haven't been used in an appropriate role. I think he's comparable to Gerbe with perhaps less flash and finish but better offensive instincts. Anyway, he's off to Russia -

The left winger, MVP of the 2009-10 Calder Cup playoffs for the Hershey Bears, leaves Tuesday for Russia. His new KHL club, HK Atlant, already has begun training camp for the 2010-11 season. "I don't know much about what I'm going into," Bourque said Sunday. What he is leaving behind made the decision to reject a qualifying contract offer from the Washington Capitals extremely difficult.

http://blog.pennlive...e_heads_to.html

Edited by jk333, 30 August 2010 - 08:51 AM.

#589 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Tim Kennedy to sign with the Rangers.

#590 ForceAtHome

• 4012 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

More Bourque news - he's going to the KHL to play.

For some reason, I thought I or someone else had already posted that news. I guess that's why I was vague when I wrote, "But, alas, it looks like we won't see him in the NHL for at least a couple of years now."

In other news, it looks like Lee Stempniak is set to sign a 2 year deal in Phoenix ($1.75 AAV).

#591 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

"I don't know much about what I'm going into,"

Boy, I'd think that he'd want to look into that considering the KHL's reputation as a bit of a dangerous place to play.

#592 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9569 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

I wonder what Ray thinks about Chris going to Russia and the KHL. I'm sure the consensus is that overseas is in his best interests in terms of his hockey career, but I'm surprised he went straight to Russia instead of an elite league in like Sweden or Finland. Sure the money is there, but the Cherapanov fiasco would raise some red flags if I was heading over there.

Anyway, I haven't followed much of Chris' pro hockey career, but I do think leaving BU early didn't help.

#593 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2158 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

I wonder what Ray thinks about Chris going to Russia and the KHL. I'm sure the consensus is that overseas is in his best interests in terms of his hockey career, but I'm surprised he went straight to Russia instead of an elite league in like Sweden or Finland. Sure the money is there, but the Cherapanov fiasco would raise some red flags if I was heading over there.

Anyway, I haven't followed much of Chris' pro hockey career, but I do think leaving BU early didn't help.

From what I remember from BU fans, he wasn't... "into school" very much.

#594 kenneycb

• 7243 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

From what I remember from BU fans, he wasn't... "into school" very much.

I played with some kids who knew him or knew kids on BU or something like that and they basically said that he was very taken aback that he actually had to go to class and wasn't able to just focus on playing hockey.

#595 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

To be fair to him, about 70% of the kids at BU seem to be taken aback at having to go to class. Also at the idea that wearing pajamas outdoors is inappropriate.

#596 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

Tim Kennedy to sign with the Rangers.

Kennedy's deal is for $550,000. Guess Darcy gets the last laugh after all.

#597 Catcher Block

• 1116 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

I played with some kids who knew him or knew kids on BU or something like that and they basically said that he was very taken aback that he actually had to go to class and wasn't able to just focus on playing hockey.

It goes back even farther than that. He was originally set to go to high school at Gov. Dummer (where his sister had gone), but he didn't have the grades to get in, even with his hockey talents, a sibling already enrolled, and the fact that his Dad would have joined the coaching staff. One of the admissions directors was the head hockey coach, and they still couldn't push it through.

#598 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17306 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

To be fair to him, about 70% of the kids at BU seem to be taken aback at having to go to class. Also at the idea that wearing pajamas outdoors is inappropriate.

Gold, Jerry... Gold.

#599 PedroSpecialK

• 16944 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Very interesting tweet fron Nick Kypreos:

RealKyper

Last 3 yrs of Luongo's deal ave is 1.2M per. Hossa's 833,000. Ilya last 3 yrs will now ave 2.6M including base of 4M in last 24/25 season..

That's huge - regardless of his retirement status, Kovalchuk will be earning $4m plus in his last year, which will (imo) clear the way for the contract to be approved.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 30 August 2010 - 10:11 PM.

#600 Terras

• Says he wants a Revolution

• 1482 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

The Predators have signed Aaron Johnson to a 1-year contract
link: http://predators.nhl...s.htm?id=536658

The Islanders have agreed to terms with captain Doug Weight, 1 year as well
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5516395

Chris Chelios retires and joins Red Wings as an adviser to hockey operations
http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-266476