Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Apple iPhone Thread: Part II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
542 replies to this topic

#1 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

In order to help Skrub end another megatarp, uhh, thread, I thought I would start this up instead. Mods, feel free to merge if you so choose. I could also rename this to "The Apple iPhone Thread: Part II".

Meanwhile back at the ranch, MobileCrunch is reporting today on a theory that the next iPhone could be released on Monday, June 21st. Their proof is that some iPhone 3GS early adopters who were not scheduled to receive another iPhone upgrade until later this year, are now seeing their iPhone upgrade eligibility dates rolled back to 6/21. Personally, I think that could very well be the week, but not the 21st. Apple likes Fridays, as those "first weekend sales" numbers are too juicy.

My prediction: Circle Friday, 6/25 as a possible release date on your calendars. They don't want to wait until July while the Droid Incredible is selling like gangbusters and the EVO 4G goes on sale 6/6. Needless to say, I'm getting geek-excited.

Source: MobileCrunch

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 13 May 2010 - 01:42 PM.

#2 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, I checked my upgrade eligibility earlier today. Both my wife and I are eligible on 6/27 which is odd as we both bought our 3G iPhones in April of 2009. I thought for sure we'd be waiting until 4/11. Hmmmm. As much as I like my current iPhone, I've got to consider the upgrade. Hopefully, I'll be able to get half the cost of the new phones recouped by selling these phones on eBay. We'll see.

QUOTE (CrouchingTonyHiddenPena @ May 11 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order to help Skrub end another megatarp, uhh, thread, I thought I would start this up instead. Mods, feel free to merge if you so choose. I could also rename this to "The Apple iPhone Thread: Part II".

Meanwhile back at the ranch, MobileCrunch is reporting today on a theory that the next iPhone could be released on Monday, June 21st. Their proof is that some iPhone 3GS early adopters who were not scheduled to receive another iPhone upgrade until later this year, are now seeing their iPhone upgrade eligibility dates rolled back to 6/21. Personally, I think that could very well be the week, but not the 21st. Apple likes Fridays, as those "first weekend sales" numbers are too juicy.

My prediction: Circle Friday, 6/25 as a possible release date on your calendars. They don't want to wait until July while the Droid Incredible is selling like gangbusters and the EVO 4G goes on sale 6/6. Needless to say, I'm getting geek-excited.

Source: MobileCrunch

#3 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

More early video reporting on physical parts of the new iPhone. A video has surfaced showing the lcd panel and digitizer. Not a surprise anymore, but I wonder if anyone else will be getting raided? emot-buddy.gif

http://it-chuiko.com...d-on-video.html

#4 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:57 AM

I'm not posting this to beat the rumor drum to death, I promise. I just thought the bold quote from Apple's COO Tim Cook on a recent press call was very interesting, as it's the first remote hint at what's inside the minds of the top people in Apple with regard to breaking exclusivity. It does not mean a VZW iPhone, nor do I imply it does.
Strategic shift

Should CrunchGear's new claims be true, then the deecision to migrate from an exclusive opertor strategy likely reflects two key strategic needs.

Apple's need to defend its iPhone marketshare may have provoked an early termination to the AT&T deal. iPhone sales spike each time the company has moved from an exclusive arrangement to a non-exclusive deal in a country.

"Over the past year we have moved a number of markets from exclusive to non-exclusive. In each case as we have done that we have seen our unit growth accelerate and our market share improve," said Apple chief operating officer, Tim Cook, during the company's last (Q2 2010) financial call.

UK mobile carrier Orange sold 30,000 iPhones on the first day that carrier put the device on sale, breaking O2's exclusive hold on the device. The US market is far larger - how many unit sales could Apple look forward to on adopting a wider to market strategy?

http://blogs.compute...hone_hd_service

#5 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,564 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

What are the big upgrades this next version will have?

Better resolution screen, faster processor, faster network I assume.

But those are all natural in a product's evolution...is there anything that will be a leap above the current 3GS?

#6 ragecage

• 3,987 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Much better camera, and apparently an LED flash. Front-facing camera for video chat.

#7 Matty005

• 473 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

How can you check to see when you're able to upgrade? I went through the Apple site (entered my #, Billing, SS) but they just listed the price of what it would be to buy a new one. I want to know when I would be able to upgrade w/out paying full price.

#8 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (CrouchingTonyHiddenPena @ May 11 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order to help Skrub end another megatarp, uhh, thread, I thought I would start this up instead.

Bless you.

#9 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,127 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Matty005 @ May 12 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you check to see when you're able to upgrade? I went through the Apple site (entered my #, Billing, SS) but they just listed the price of what it would be to buy a new one. I want to know when I would be able to upgrade w/out paying full price.

Check on the ATT site, not Apple. Do you have your account with them setup online?

#10 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

It looks like Apple has confirmed AT&T exclusivity until 2012.

If the contract is vaild, than there will be no VZW iPhone in 2011.

#11 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,938 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Sille Skrub @ May 12 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks like Apple has confirmed AT&T exclusivity until 2012.

If the contract is vaild, than there will be no VZW iPhone in 2011.

read all the way the through. The chatter is that that contract has been modified more than once. I am hearing more indications of a 2011 CDMA iphone.

#12 luqin

• 752 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

latest rumor is that Pegatron (unloved step-brother of Megatron) is manufacturing CDMA iPhones as we speak..

http://www.electroni...verizon.iphone/

My guess is that AT&T is moving up people's eligibility to give folks an incentive to stay with AT&T and to try to stem off mass exodus over to Verizon.

#13 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

Extremely disheartening if true that there will only be 256MB of RAM on board. Despite some great looking upgrades in other hardware and software, I was hoping for 512MB to juice this badboy up.

For comparisons sake, the Droid Incredible has 512MB on board, and the current 3GS has 256MB already. So, no upgrade in RAM on the iPhone 4/HD as of now. Again, I hope it's just these test models and they increase it for launch. They still easily could, as that sort of thing happens all the time after testing.

#14 ragecage

• 3,987 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

I'd like to see more RAM as well, but the iPad has 256 and it's pretty damn good. Again, the more the merrier in that department thought.

#15 czar

• fanboy

• 3,586 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (ragecage @ May 13 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to see more RAM as well, but the iPad has 256 and it's pretty damn good. Again, the more the merrier in that department thought.

Probably a dumb question, but what's the connection between RAM/battery life with the iPhone? I've been fostered on the idea that increased RAM can help battery life with desktop builds by decreasing the workload of the mechanical HD, but honestly have no clue how it would effect a flash-memory based system (if at all).

With my 3G (128 MB, I'm pretty sure), I sometimes find myself running on fumes by 6-7 PM, so if there was a tradeoff there, I'd err on the side of minimizing power consumption.

Edited by czar, 15 May 2010 - 06:03 PM.

#16 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

My 3G iphones are now officially out of warranty and I'm likely going to get the new model in about one year - when my two-year commitment runs out on these (purchased just before the 3GS came out).

As a result, I'm now seriously considering jailbreaking them. I was afraid to do so before because I didn't want to void the warranty. That's no longer an issue.

I've read countless things on this board, other boards, articles, etc about the process, but I understand it's also fairly fluid, changing all the time. Rather than going to a large source like Google for this information, I figured I'd ask here where I know many of you and, for those I don't know personally, have a pretty good feel for who to trust and who not to.

How do I do this properly? What will I want to add/change once it's jailbroken? Why would I not want to do this?

I've got a real shitty day ahead of me, so I could really use the distraction this might give me.

Edited by Yaz4Ever, 20 May 2010 - 11:43 AM.

#17 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,295 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Yaz4Ever @ May 20 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 3G iphones are now officially out of warranty and I'm likely going to get the new model in about one year - when my two-year commitment runs out on these (purchased just before the 3GS came out).

As a result, I'm now seriously considering jailbreaking them. I was afraid to do so before because I didn't want to void the warranty. That's no longer an issue.

I've read countless things on this board, other boards, articles, etc about the process, but I understand it's also fairly fluid, changing all the time. Rather than going to a large source like Google for this information, I figured I'd ask here where I know many of you and, for those I don't know personally, have a pretty good feel for who to trust and who not to.

How do I do this properly? What will I want to add/change once it's jailbroken? Why would I not want to do this?

I've got a real shitty day ahead of me, so I could really use the distraction this might give me.

There are three types of people who jailbreak their phones:

1) Those that are unsatisfied with the limits that the original firmware puts on the look, feel, and performance of the iPhone.
2) People who do not want to pay for apps
3) People who claim to be in camp 1 and hide the fact that they are firmly in camp 2.

Personally I don't see the point of 1. It seems to be more hassle than it is worth. 2 on the other hand......

#18 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

jayhoz - I'm not going to pretend to be above getting something for free, if possible (and if I can't get caught), but I was thinking more along the lines of opening up features that aren't currently available. Video, for example, the 3G is supposedly capable of it but it's locked on us. Maybe that's not true, I don't know for sure. If you'd like to send me Golfshot GPS or something like that, I'll gladly take it, but if I'm too scared to void my warranty, I'm not likely someone apple needs to worry about in terms of stealing apps.

#19 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (jayhoz @ May 20 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are three types of people who jailbreak their phones:

1) Those that are unsatisfied with the limits that the original firmware puts on the look, feel, and performance of the iPhone.
2) People who do not want to pay for apps
3) People who claim to be in camp 1 and hide the fact that they are firmly in camp 2.

Personally I don't see the point of 1. It seems to be more hassle than it is worth. 2 on the other hand......

I do... for MiWi. No other jailbroken things installed except Winterboard/theme crap which is more pain than it's worth anyhow.

#20 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Yaz4Ever @ May 20 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jayhoz - I'm not going to pretend to be above getting something for free, if possible (and if I can't get caught), but I was thinking more along the lines of opening up features that aren't currently available. Video, for example, the 3G is supposedly capable of it but it's locked on us. Maybe that's not true, I don't know for sure. If you'd like to send me Golfshot GPS or something like that, I'll gladly take it, but if I'm too scared to void my warranty, I'm not likely someone apple needs to worry about in terms of stealing apps.

They sell video things in the app store for the 3g now. I have one and use it all the time. Look for iVideoCamera. It's decent enough

#21 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

Nice! Thanks, Nip. That's one for the "don't bother jailbreaking" column.

QUOTE (AlNipper49 @ May 20 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They sell video things in the app store for the 3g now. I have one and use it all the time. Look for iVideoCamera. It's decent enough

#22 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

What's the best way to remove songs from the iPhone and transfer them back to a computer? This is a mix of both iTunes songs and non-iTunes songs, so the "transfer purchases" option would only work for about half of them. I have about 1900 songs, and want to transfer them off prior to a) replacing by iPhone that is currently on the fritz or B) skidaddling from ATT.

#23 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (I am an Idiot @ May 25 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the best way to remove songs from the iPhone and transfer them back to a computer? This is a mix of both iTunes songs and non-iTunes songs, so the "transfer purchases" option would only work for about half of them. I have about 1900 songs, and want to transfer them off prior to a) replacing by iPhone that is currently on the fritz or B) skidaddling from ATT.

There are two ways I know of. One is to allow sharing of the library within the settings, and then you can import the data and playlists, etc, from one library to another on the same network.

The second is manual. You use a portable HD to backup the library in question, then manually transfer the library data.

#24 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

Apple is selling off iPhone 3GS overstock at $97/each. Maybe the new iPhone will be released next month?

$97 3GS's at Walmart, yo!

#25 ragecage

• 3,987 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

It seems almost certain. I'd bet on it. The question that this raises, is will be it available almost immediately after the announcement next week. Should be good.

#26 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,806 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (ragecage @ May 26 2010, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems almost certain. I'd bet on it. The question that this raises, is will be it available almost immediately after the announcement next week. Should be good.

When is the keynote?

#27 ragecage

• 3,987 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (BoSoxFink @ May 26 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When is the keynote?

10am on 6/7

#28 Matty005

• 473 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (ragecage @ May 26 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10am on 6/7

1pm Eastern Time.

#29 Talon

• sosh's adolfo gonzalez

• 2,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

a couple of rumors going around the internet the last couple of days indicate that the iPhone 4G will be available in June via SprintNextel.

As the rumor is being reported, Apple, knowing the AT&T service won't very well support a quality 4G product negotiated an opt-out with AT&T which included iPad exclusivity, and chose Sprint as the 4G provider based on their already existing 4G network.

To corroborate that rumor is another light rumor from a Best Buy employee claiming that they've received signage and a training kit for the 4G Sprint iPhone.

If that's the case, sign my ass up.

Edited by Talon, 01 June 2010 - 10:41 PM.

#30 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,116 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Just in time for a new iPhone, here's this lovely gem. I plan on getting a new iPhone, but I'm on Verizon right now. Is there anything I can do to get the unlimited rate for $30, or will I be okay with the 2GB cap? Will most users? (I'm not buying this 98% fall under 2GB line at all.)

#31 The Four Peters

• 11,127 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

Frat, I use my data/internet pretty prodigiously on my phone, and checking through my recent bills I use about .5-1 GB/mo. This will likely increase with the new phone as I will use it more, do more background streaming (Slacker/AOL Radio) and the like. I think 2GB would be fairly tough (but not impossible) to break, though.

#32 ragecage

• 3,987 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

I tend to agree. I use it pretty heavily, and I'm under 1GB/month. A lot of the time I'm on Wi-Fi as well, so that helps.

#33 B H Kim

• 2,754 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

If you plan to use it for tethering, 2 GB may not be enough. I have a 5 GB cap on my Verizon data plan (with a 3G laptop modem) and I run right up to the cap every month.

#34 The Four Peters

• 11,127 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Actually, this leads to a question. I had an iPhone mishap this weekend (friend jumped into the pool with it, long story). For the moment, I'm using his Samsung Blackjack* until the new iPhone is announced, which I had planned to buy anyways. They switched my data plan off of the unlimited iPhone one and on to the unlimited smartphone one. When I do buy the iPhone, will I be able to keep the unlimited data plan for $30/mo, which I will want to do for tethering purposes? Should I check in with AT+T on this?

* The Blackjack is a fucking terrible phone. I was going to drop the data plan completely for the next month or two to save cash, but I don't want to risk losing the unlimited plan. Words cannot describe how much I hate using the Blackjack, but I need something to get me by until the new iPhone comes out.

#35 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Per this AP story:

"Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts."

ETA: Actually, I'm not sure in your case - since you went off the unlimited plan. I would check with AT&T asap. Get back on the unlimited plan if you can.

For tethering, there is no unlimited plan btw. Only the 2G one.

#36 The Four Peters

• 11,127 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

Well I still have the unlimited plan, just the smartphone one not the iPhone one. Same price same thing, just different phone. I'll check with AT+T though.

I missed that point on the tethering though. That's pretty tough right there.

#37 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,272 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Yaz, as for jailbreaking, I am thrilled that I did. I did it for the tethering and video. I also like that I can have 20 icons per screen and 5 icons in my dock. Other than that? I don't really do anything special, but its just nicer looking to me that way.

#38 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,161 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Fratboy @ Jun 2 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just in time for a new iPhone, here's this lovely gem. I plan on getting a new iPhone, but I'm on Verizon right now. Is there anything I can do to get the unlimited rate for $30, or will I be okay with the 2GB cap? Will most users? (I'm not buying this 98% fall under 2GB line at all.)

I just checked the data activity log on my iphone and I've used just under 3GB of cellular data since I bought the fucker 19 months ago. I guess 90% of my data usage is over WiFi.

#39 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

7GB here. BOOYAH.

But I tether

#40 teddykgb

• 3,719 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

The numbers are fine, but selling this as a 'deal' for people is what is outrageous. Specifically, that $20 a month charge for tethering is beyond ridiculous. You're paying $20 a month for the right to use the same data you're already paying for in a different way. This is completely preposterous. I wish I could take it as a sign of impending expiration of ATT wireless exclusivity, but why would they roll out a severe plan right before things are going to get competitive.

#41 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,938 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

They may not change pricing immediately, but don't think for a minute that Verizon isn't going to follow. The caps may be different but everyone in the industry has been waiting for someone to make the first move on caps.

#42 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,711 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

It's the stupidest thing in the world. Bandwidth is an absolute commodity at this point. What will occur is the same thing which occurs when an entity or group of entities seeks to monetize a commodity: it will create incentives for small innovators to peck at their heels. Exclusive contracts like iPhone has with AT&T will only bite them long-term. The innovators who design with commoditization in mind will be the market leaders unless folks like Apple can react.

For example, metropcs is doing this and knocking the ball out of the park. It really doesn't cost incrementally crap to send 1 sms or 100 smses given the bandwidth these wireless carriers have at their disposal.

#43 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,610 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (teddykgb @ Jun 2 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The numbers are fine, but selling this as a 'deal' for people is what is outrageous. Specifically, that $20 a month charge for tethering is beyond ridiculous. You're paying $20 a month for the right to use the same data you're already paying for in a different way. This is completely preposterous. I wish I could take it as a sign of impending expiration of ATT wireless exclusivity, but why would they roll out a severe plan right before things are going to get competitive.

Because sprint is going to charge $30 a month to use their EVO as a hotspot.

#44 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,272 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

So I'll be camping/at Bonnaroo during games 3, 4, and 5 of the NBA finals. There's this "MobileTV" app that you can pay to watch games on, but I'm wondering if there is a free solution. Anyone?

#45 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (teddykgb @ Jun 2 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but as it stands, to pay for legal tethering (aside from the iPhone) it would cost you $60/mo on any carrier. This new plan equates to $45 for 2GB with tethering included, and $10/mo for each additional GB over that. That equates to $65/mo for 5GB, which is close to their 'unlimited' cap now. Just about the same price for the heavy users. So for those will tether but no go insane with it (98%), it will save you a boatload of money. For those who do go tether-crazy, it will only cost you in those months you go over 2GB, and still not be that much more than you were paying before.

I mean, far be it for me to defend AT&T here, but I think these plans are truly great. I pay $30 for my wife's iPhone data, and she hardly ever uses it (uses it mostly for expensive medical programs as a Critical Care PA). I use mine a LOT, but also mostly over wifi. Together we will soon spend what we currently spend on only one of our data plans. That's a 50% discount. A lot of people will save the same money here, especially those family plans with numerous smartphones.

Also (IMO), the losses from the unlimited plans will be mitigated by the gains from tethering plans and new smartphone customers as a result of the lesser $15/mo data plans. It's a smart move on AT&T's part. They're going to make more money overall, while most individuals who already have smartphones will save.

In the end, with the advent of the tiered data structure (which I side with Nip on being the rip-off it still is overall), the age of the standard handset is soon to be a thing of the past. Whereas before only a small portion of cellular clientele used smartphones and the majority had 'feature phones', the ratio is reversing itself rapidly. It's not perfect and could be cheaper, but we will all save a good chunk of change with these plans.

#46 Vinho Tinto

• 3,731 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (AlNipper49 @ Jun 2 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7GB here. BOOYAH.

I'm averaging around 6 GBs a month due to not having wifi access at work.

#47 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

moved to android thread.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 02 June 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#48 teddykgb

• 3,719 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (CrouchingTonyHiddenPena @ Jun 2 2010, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but as it stands, to pay for legal tethering (aside from the iPhone) it would cost you $60/mo on any carrier. This new plan equates to $45 for 2GB with tethering included, and $10/mo for each additional GB over that. That equates to $65/mo for 5GB, which is close to their 'unlimited' cap now. Just about the same price for the heavy users. So for those will tether but no go insane with it (98%), it will save you a boatload of money. For those who do go tether-crazy, it will only cost you in those months you go over 2GB, and still not be that much more than you were paying before.

I mean, far be it for me to defend AT&T here, but I think these plans are truly great. I pay $30 for my wife's iPhone data, and she hardly ever uses it (uses it mostly for expensive medical programs as a Critical Care PA). I use mine a LOT, but also mostly over wifi. Together we will soon spend what we currently spend on only one of our data plans. That's a 50% discount. A lot of people will save the same money here, especially those family plans with numerous smartphones.

Also (IMO), the losses from the unlimited plans will be mitigated by the gains from tethering plans and new smartphone customers as a result of the lesser $15/mo data plans. It's a smart move on AT&T's part. They're going to make more money overall, while most individuals who already have smartphones will save.

In the end, with the advent of the tiered data structure (which I side with Nip on being the rip-off it still is overall), the age of the standard handset is soon to be a thing of the past. Whereas before only a small portion of cellular clientele used smartphones and the majority had 'feature phones', the ratio is reversing itself rapidly. It's not perfect and could be cheaper, but we will all save a good chunk of change with these plans.

I don't think this is true. Palm's wifi hotspot capability does not tack on an additional fee to use the same data. Most of these tethering options also do not include the tier. I guess what I'm saying is that you're not charged a fee for an additional feature and additional data....you're being double charged for your 2GB. You pay for it once just to get the phone, then pay $20 a month to use a feature that lets you use that same data you've already been allocated. It just feels completely dirty. Even a 1 time $150 fee to use tethering would have been preferable. I'd be incurring a monthly expense to use bandwidth I've already paid for once, only paying this fee to use it a different way that is completely transparent to them.

#49 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,938 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (AlNipper49 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the stupidest thing in the world. Bandwidth is an absolute commodity at this point. What will occur is the same thing which occurs when an entity or group of entities seeks to monetize a commodity: it will create incentives for small innovators to peck at their heels. Exclusive contracts like iPhone has with AT&T will only bite them long-term. The innovators who design with commoditization in mind will be the market leaders unless folks like Apple can react.

For example, metropcs is doing this and knocking the ball out of the park. It really doesn't cost incrementally crap to send 1 sms or 100 smses given the bandwidth these wireless carriers have at their disposal.

First off, SMS runs on a separate network so it's volume doesn't affect other types of traffic.

Second, bandwidth is far from unlimited at any segment of the network. AT&T isnt growing subscribers all that fast but they are still spending $10b this year to support their network, and that doesnt count the cost of spectrum.

AT&T is experiencing a tragedy of the commons where some people are arbitraging the all you can eat and flooding the network. Today metropcs has plenty of capacity but that won't be the case for long. Even they will be happy to put caps on data. With the enormous fixed costs in building these networks, no one has N incentive tom price at marginal cost.

#50 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,938 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Talon @ Jun 1 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a couple of rumors going around the internet the last couple of days indicate that the iPhone 4G will be available in June via SprintNextel.

As the rumor is being reported, Apple, knowing the AT&T service won't very well support a quality 4G product negotiated an opt-out with AT&T which included iPad exclusivity, and chose Sprint as the 4G provider based on their already existing 4G network.

To corroborate that rumor is another light rumor from a Best Buy employee claiming that they've received signage and a training kit for the 4G Sprint iPhone.

If that's the case, sign my ass up.

As far as I can tell, those rumors are hopeful speculation. I think they confused the iPhone 4g with sprint 4g. The indicators out of the manufacturers are that the earliest we see a cdma iphone is this holiday season.