Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

The Games are gone, but the sports go on.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,798 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

I hope that some of you who enjoyed these Games and took time to appreciate some sports and athletes you may not normally watch will, from time to time find a chance to appreciate some skiing, short track, luge and figure skating. The saddest thing to me about the Olympic Games is the way a lot of these sports and athletes are marginalized outside of a 17 day climax every four years.

Talk here about what you'll do, moving forward, Post-Vancouver to enjoy the sports of Vancouver...

#2 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49,118 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 2 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope that some of you who enjoyed these Games and took time to appreciate some sports and athletes you may not normally watch will, from time to time find a chance to appreciate some skiing, short track, luge and figure skating. The saddest thing to me about the Olympic Games is the way a lot of these sports and athletes are marginalized outside of a 17 day climax every four years.

Talk here about what you'll do, moving forward, Post-Vancouver to enjoy the sports of Vancouver...

I will continue to watch skiing, which I have been doing every weekend thanks to NBC Universal Sports. It's really enjoyable and they do a great job covering the races.

I would like to watch more long-track speed skating if I can.

And I would like to do Julia Mancuso Mike Brady-style.

#3 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10,794 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Mar 2 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I would like to do Julia Mancuso Mike Brady-style.

With or without the tiara?

I vote yes.

#4 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

Man, how long has it been since we had a 'Mike Brady-style' reference in SOSH?

#5 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,798 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Intersting note that's going to impact pretty much all Olympic winter sports for the next four years. The Russians are pissed. They had thier shittiest Winter Games ever, and the President is calling for the immediate resignations of pretty much anyone involved.

The ski jump coach is alread gone. The head of the ski jump federation denied rumours that he'd resigned, "That's just not true. He didn't resign. I fired him." President Medvedev mentions that they've gotten away from the old Soviet style system, and they need to get back there.

This means one thing, sports fans; The Russians are ready to cheat their asses off in Sochi. Canada's controversial "Own the Podium" program will earn good sportsmanship awards compared to what the Russians will do to prepare for Sochi.

#6 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 3 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Intersting note that's going to impact pretty much all Olympic winter sports for the next four years. The Russians are pissed. They had thier shittiest Winter Games ever, and the President is calling for the immediate resignations of pretty much anyone involved.

The ski jump coach is alread gone. The head of the ski jump federation denied rumours that he'd resigned, "That's just not true. He didn't resign. I fired him." President Medvedev mentions that they've gotten away from the old Soviet style system, and they need to get back there.

This means one thing, sports fans; The Russians are ready to cheat their asses off in Sochi. Canada's controversial "Own the Podium" program will earn good sportsmanship awards compared to what the Russians will do to prepare for Sochi.

Guess who else is pissed: Japan.

Japan used to be the undisputed Asian champ in the Winter Games, medaling in ski jump, speed skating, as well as the figures. In 2010, they've had the worse showing ever, going gold-less in gathering just 3 silvers and 2 bronzes.

Highlighting this is the superbly disappointing "loss" to Kim in women's figure, and losing out on an upset gold in Women's long track pursuit by a mere .003 seconds in the last day of the competition.

Compared to China (with Wang Meng's impressive 3 golds, 11 medals in all), Japan is now a distant 3rd, and there's a lot of national pride that's hurt right now. Word out of Japanese press is to revamp the financial reward system (Korean gold medalists get about $70k as cash bonus, and $1k per month for the rest of their lives), and follow the often spartan training schedule mandated by its long-term rivals.

#7 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:03 AM

Korea, by the way, has in my opinion, established legitimacy as a Winter Games player -- and that bodes well for the Pyongchang 2018 bid.

#8 Bellhorn

• Lumiere

• 2,018 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 2 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm seriously thinking of heading out to Wayland some time to try curling - looks like a lot of fun.

#9 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 4 2010, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Korea, by the way, has in my opinion, established legitimacy as a Winter Games player -- and that bodes well for the Pyongchang 2018 bid.

I hope so FNL. This would make Pyongchang its 3rd try, after losing out by mere 3 votes to Vancouver in Round 2, after winning by more than 11 (51 to 40) in Round 1 (along with Salzburg, AUSTRIA, the birthplace of Mozart and where Sound of Music was filmed - all around one of the most beautiful places I've been to.)

Pyongchang also lost to Sochi by 4 votes after leading Round 1 again. Hell I may put my business on hold and fly over to be guides or something.

Edited by SeoulSoxFan, 04 March 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#10 RIrooter09

• 2,134 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (SeoulSoxFan @ Mar 4 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope so FNL. This would make Pyongchang its 3rd try, after losing out by mere 3 votes to Vancouver in Round 2, after winning by more than 11 (51 to 40) in Round 1 (along with Salzburg, Australia, the birthplace of Mozart and where Sound of Music was filmed - all around one of the most beautiful places I've been to.)

Pyongchang also lost to Sochi by 4 votes after leading Round 1 again. Hell I may put my business on hold and fly over to be guides or something.

Cross Country skiing would be brutal.

#11 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (RIrooter09 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cross Country skiing would be brutal.

LOL - totally deserved!

#12 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

"Platinum" Plushy would like to work with Mao to get her land a first-ever quad:

http://www.requirede...a-aims-for-quad

Plushenko was quoted as saying, "Although she seems to have trouble with landings, she has sharp rotations. I can help. I would love to train with her if she wants to." The foremost goal for Asada is to perfect her triple axel; the quad comes next. It is still uncertain whether she will be able to do a quad with Plushenko's help, but if she does, she will be one of the favorites to win gold in 2014.

#13 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (SeoulSoxFan @ Mar 4 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope so FNL. This would make Pyongchang its 3rd try, after losing out by mere 3 votes to Vancouver in Round 2, after winning by more than 11 (51 to 40) in Round 1 (along with Salzburg, AUSTRIA, the birthplace of Mozart and where Sound of Music was filmed - all around one of the most beautiful places I've been to.)

How Salzburg was beaten by Sochi is beyond me. Well...I kind of have a few ideas how - and they're remarkably ethically similar to the tactics I expect Russia to use to get back to the top of the medal count IN Sochi.

You mean you won't leave town when the Games come in, like SOME people on here.

On another note - I cant' express enough how, just SAD it is in Vancouver now, and really, how melancholy I feel. I mean, it was SO FUCKING COOL. Its the coolest thing that will ever happen here - and now, just like that it is over, and it isn't coming back EVER AGAIN. Obviously, there will be a return to normalcy, with a certain swagger of great memories - Calgary and Salt Lake managed to move on, after all....but I think that's going to take a while.

#14 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 4 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How Salzburg was beaten by Sochi is beyond me. Well...I kind of have a few ideas how - and they're remarkably ethically similar to the tactics I expect Russia to use to get back to the top of the medal count IN Sochi.

On another note - I cant' express enough how, just SAD it is in Vancouver now, and really, how melancholy I feel. I mean, it was SO FUCKING COOL. Its the coolest thing that will ever happen here - and now, just like that it is over, and it isn't coming back EVER AGAIN. Obviously, there will be a return to normalcy, with a certain swagger of great memories - Calgary and Salt Lake managed to move on, after all....but I think that's going to take a while.

Well, Russia spent gabazillion rubles to out-market the competition, as it was the only venue to not have a single building in place when the vote took place (that's right, not a single freaking building.)

FNL, how to the locals feel about about the financial situation? A few papers labeled Vancouver games (unfairly in my opinion) one of the worst run Olympics in recent memory with the luge accident, opening ceremonies erectile disfunction, and the horrible ice surface problems on the long track venue, along with:

From Vancouver Sun:

Most are left holding the bag, which for Vancouver could be an $875-million-plus debt for the Olympic Athletes Village. In Montreal’s case it was a $1.5-billion debt and a white elephant Olympic Stadium dubbed the Big Owe, which was built in 1976 for the Summer Olympics and just recently paid off.

#15 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,415 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 4 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do have the Paralympic games coming next week. I do know what you feel having spent 19 days in Atlanta back in 1996, and then when it was over it was like, now what do I do, and you have the realization it will never happen again. Maybe you get to another Olympic someday, but it willnever be in a place you love and consider home.

How cold is Pyongchang? Vancouver had the problems with the heat. I fear that is going to be a problem is Sochi as well, as it seems maybe warmer than Vancouver. Maybe they won't have as many mountain problems as Whistler did.

That is the one thing I think you could probably count on in Salzburg, it's going to be COLD

#16 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49,118 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (SeoulSoxFan @ Mar 4 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL - totally deserved!

That's not a piano. This is a piano.

#17 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (BigMike @ Mar 4 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do have the Paralympic games coming next week. I do know what you feel having spent 19 days in Atlanta back in 1996, and then when it was over it was like, now what do I do, and you have the realization it will never happen again. Maybe you get to another Olympic someday, but it willnever be in a place you love and consider home.

How cold is Pyongchang? Vancouver had the problems with the heat. I fear that is going to be a problem is Sochi as well, as it seems maybe warmer than Vancouver. Maybe they won't have as many mountain problems as Whistler did.

That is the one thing I think you could probably count on in Salzburg, it's going to be COLD

I'll actually be gone by the time the Paralympics roll around, and I'm pretty sure I'll be at a few more Games in my time...but each time the end, it's a pretty melancholy feeling. Truth is, I really don't understand why it's so important to do this once every four years. The Super Bowl doesn't get old, the World Series doesn't get old. This wouldn't get old either.

Sochi is basically a summer resort town. Good luck with that, Mr. Putin.

#18 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (BigMike @ Mar 4 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pyongchang is coooooold. Mainly due to it being well over 2000 ft. above sea-level. I've been to its most popular ski resort called Yongpyong, and it's a spectacularly beautiful mountainous region.

During the winter months it averages around 15-20 ºF (-6 to -8 ºC), and only goes up to 65-70 during the summer. And because it's right on the Taebaek mountains, it snows quite a bit - a fall of 5-7 inches is not unusual.

Here's PC's English tourism site (need an update badly IMO): http://en.yes-pc.net/

#19 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,107 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Mar 4 2010, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll actually be gone by the time the Paralympics roll around, and I'm pretty sure I'll be at a few more Games in my time...but each time the end, it's a pretty melancholy feeling. Truth is, I really don't understand why it's so important to do this once every four years. The Super Bowl doesn't get old, the World Series doesn't get old. This wouldn't get old either.

Sochi is basically a summer resort town. Good luck with that, Mr. Putin.

I would love to have the Olympics every 3 years, something like:

2020 Summer Olympics
2021 Winter Olympics
2022 No Olympics
2023 Summer Olympics...

I do think this may have to with just the sheer historical significance rather than any financial or logistical challenges, but yeah - 3 years seems like a good compromise.