Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Making Fun of (and bitching about) NBC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#101 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3686 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Obscure Name @ Feb 23 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure Canada changed the way their ratings work recently, so I'm not sure how much that means. This is like the third or forth thing I've heard being the highest rated program ever in like the past month.

Either that or there have been Olympic things that have been the highest rated. I'm sure Opening Ceremonies would have been right up there..maybe the first hockey game too?

#102 Obscure Name

• SoSH Member

• 6054 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

I thought the World Juniors and Super Bowl had set records, but I guess those were just for the networks and events, respectively.

found this:
The broadcast of the Olympics' opening ceremony was by far the most-watched TV event ever in Canada... The ratings system in Canada has changed in recent months, but the consortium said the change did not affect the Vancouver-Salt Lake comparison.

http://www.washingto...0021302523.html

So I guess the game surpassed that.

2nd edit: Here's an article about the new ratings system and how it's leading to records:
http://sports.yahoo....g...s&type=lgns

Edited by Obscure Name, 23 February 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#103 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13734 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

Why is NBC so averse to showing anything live? Even the figure skating was a minute and half or more behind. I will be watching event on CTV and an American wins and i flip to NBC and Costas is talking about something, usually unrelated. Then up to 15-20 minutes later, or more they go the event. Sometimes three hours later the event will be presented as if it is live. But this can't be great for the viewers. In the Jim Mckay days that was okay, when it was impossible to know what happened, but it sure seems out of date now.

Edited by reggiecleveland, 26 February 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#104 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

How do people live without DVR? 35 minutes on a feel-good story about Gander, Newfoundland, that as far as I could tell after 3 minutes of playback and fast-forward, had nothing about sports.

Wow, NBC. Can you please retire Brokaw? Thanks.

#105 The Belly Itcher

• 2655 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Hendu's Gait @ Feb 27 2010, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do people live without DVR? 35 minutes on a feel-good story about Gander, Newfoundland, that as far as I could tell after 3 minutes of playback and fast-forward, had nothing about sports.

Wow, NBC. Can you please retire Brokaw? Thanks.

How does that seem out of the ordinary for sports coverage these days?

#106 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16461 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

It sounds like NBC is trying to apologize on behalf of American news networks for virtually never giving attention to Canada by giving as much attention to Canada as possible in this Olympics.

Has NBC done a profile on Belinda Stronach yet?