Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Day 6 with SPOILERS [Lindsey Vonn at 2PM]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#51 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Actually, Elena Fanchini skiing OK so far.

#52 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Did Fanchini crash?

#53 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Her sister spilled at St. Moritz a couple weeks ago. The Italians have been decimated this year.

#54 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7581 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Seems that way. So, that was the last major threat, unless we count the Canadians?

#55 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Chemistry Schmemistry @ Feb 17 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems that way. So, that was the last major threat, unless we count the Canadians?

I've never heard of this Canadian girl.

#56 cheekydave

• 2365 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

Guys just came in here...went to the live link...showing a bunch of women sprinting, is the downhill over yet, or is anyone left to ski?
Thanks

#57 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (cheekydave @ Feb 17 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys just came in here...went to the live link...showing a bunch of women sprinting, is the downhill over yet, or is anyone left to ski?
Thanks

There's a couple still skiing but none are in the top 15. Unless one of 'em really pulls the run of her life, it's over.

#58 cheekydave

• 2365 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Feb 17 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a couple still skiing but none are in the top 15. Unless one of 'em really pulls the run of her life, it's over.

Thanks Maalox, is it online live right now?

#59 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (cheekydave @ Feb 17 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Maalox, is it online live right now?

Not so far as I can see. EuroSport has declared it over and switched to x-country.

Watch the replay tonight though, if you haven't seen it. You'll be glad you did.

#60 cheekydave

• 2365 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Feb 17 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not so far as I can see. EuroSport has declared it over and switched to x-country.

Watch the replay tonight though, if you haven't seen it. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks.

The trick will be finding what 5 minute segment between fluff pieces, commercials, and other bloviating to find when it will be on
sad.gif

#61 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (cheekydave @ Feb 17 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.

The trick will be finding what 5 minute segment between fluff pieces, commercials, and other bloviating to find when it will be on
sad.gif

I don't get why they don't do the EuroSport-style broadcast of just going from event to event. It's got to be cheaper than the cost of all the produced fluff bits and talking heads' salaries that they do now. At least don't drive yourself deeper into the red than you already are with stupidity.

Maybe it's like understanding why a dog would eat its own shit. I just can't comprehend that level of stupidity.

#62 cheekydave

• 2365 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle @ Feb 17 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get why they don't do the EuroSport-style broadcast of just going from event to event. It's got to be cheaper than the cost of all the produced fluff bits and talking heads' salaries that they do now. At least don't drive yourself deeper into the red than you already are with stupidity.

Maybe it's like understanding why a dog would eat its own shit. I just can't comprehend that level of stupidity.

When I worked overseas, had the chance to watch World Cup, Olympics, European cup, etc etc all live on BBC or World or Sky sports. A Superior product to what we get here.

What happened? Did we dumb down so much we need all this prefab "drama" or are the costs of buying the Games for any US network so absurd, they try to milk every drop of blood from it?

#63 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17160 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

It's not designed for sports fans, the ones who care will watch anyway because they don't have much choice. It's designed for the prime-time audience that only pays attention to sports during the Olympics. I'm sure you guys know this already, just saying.

#64 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

I just can't believe that not showing the sports they paid to be able to exclusively broadcast is the most efficient way to milk that investment.

So it's got to be some variation of "we are that dumb" or "NBC thinks we are that dumb."

#65 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Feb 17 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not designed for sports fans, the ones who care will watch anyway because they don't have much choice. It's designed for the prime-time audience that only pays attention to sports during the Olympics. I'm sure you guys know this already, just saying.

How is the American casual sports fan so different from the European casual sports fan that we get such terrible coverage, though? Presumably there are lots of Euros who are just paying attention to sports because it's the Olympics, yeah?

#66 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17160 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle @ Feb 17 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is the American casual sports fan so different from the European casual sports fan that we get such terrible coverage, though? Presumably there are lots of Euros who are just paying attention to sports because it's the Olympics, yeah?

American TV spends way more money on the rights, so they need to package it as prime-time programming with human interest idiocy to try to recoup that money. It looks like each individual country in Europe has someone with broadcast rights in addition to Eurosport, so maybe those individual countries do similar human interest crap for their own athletes, whereas Eurosport can focus on the actual events.

http://en.wikipedia....cs_broadcasters

#67 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Feb 17 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fine. But doesn't NBC have like 20 cable stations just for sports or something? Are the events on there? If not, why not?

I have this channel that I get over the airwaves, Channel 11-3, which is NBC Universal Sports. During the winter they show EVERY World Cup ski race, men and ladies, and not just the top 5 finishers. They show the Bulgarian girl's runs, the Spanish girl's runs, the #4 for Croatia, everybody. And now the Olympics are on and NBC Universal Sport is running interviews with past Olympians from Vancouver where they talk about how much fun it is at the Olympic village - but they don't show the ski races. And they have their little shits out on the Internet shutting down live feeds being watched by PEOPLE WHO JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON.

So the problem is not that NBC has a puff Olympic channel for casual viewers. The problem is that they are ACTIVELY and INTENTIONALLY cockblocking the people who actually want to watch the damn events.

Do this make sense? Yes, it does, from a particular ruthless, ends-justify-the-means perspective. But that's exactly the perspective I will be operating from when I drive a van full of explosives into Rockefeller Center, killing all at NBC who designed this system and earning the undying love of GOD THE SAVIOR for defying the forces of GODLESS EVIL. If you wanna play the game, be sure you wanna play the game, cuz once you start playing the game you're playing the game. Capiche?

#68 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

It's a very simple choice.

#69 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

NBC makes more money, or NBC executives continue to live. Is that so hard?

#70 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

I don't think it's difficult at all.

#71 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

#72 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

I'm just saying.

#73 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4688 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Feb 17 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
American TV spends way more money on the rights, so they need to package it as prime-time programming with human interest idiocy to try to recoup that money. It looks like each individual country in Europe has someone with broadcast rights in addition to Eurosport, so maybe those individual countries do similar human interest crap for their own athletes, whereas Eurosport can focus on the actual events.

That makes some sense, though Maalox has a point (and apparently an explosive device) as well.

#74 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11242 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Anyone have a link to a free stream for the Snowboarding Mens Halfpipe Qualifier?

#75 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17160 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Heh, I'm right with you, Maalox, just answering the question. NBC isn't the first huge company to do stupid shit like that because they don't understand/fear the internet, and they won't be the last. What's funny is that I'll probably watch tonight (or DVR at least) because I know Vonn won, no way I'd care otherwise.

(minor caveat: My brother is a longtime NBC Sports employee and is in Vancouver helping cover the hockey. I was pulled in to help cover the Beijing games at the last second, with no background in TV, and spent 16-17 straight overnights in the aforementioned Rock Center, which was not only a very nice payday but somehow resulted in me winning an Emmy as part of the whole overall coverage. And, yes, most of the reason for this side note is that I just like saying I won an Emmy.)

#76 shepard50

• 4412 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

In Australia I have Foxtel showing four channels of Olympic coverage 24 hours. They generally do show the whole event as well. Of course, I had to pay 60 bucks for it. To get around the desire of some people to just watch Aussie athletes they show a little alert when an Australian is competing in another event on another channel, but otherwise they cover the all the athletes. I much prefer this.

OTOH, baseball games shown here regularly get "fast forwarded" through multiple innings to protect the programming that follows. so that sucks. Plus, we are all dying of skin cancer (and kangaroos regularly break into my house and drink all my VB), but, y'know, we all have to live with tradeoffs.

#77 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20953 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (shepard50 @ Feb 17 2010, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Australia I have Foxtel showing four channels of Olympic coverage 24 hours. They generally do show the whole event as well. Of course, I had to pay 60 bucks for it. To get around the desire of some people to just watch Aussie athletes they show a little alert when an Australian is competing in another event on another channel, but otherwise they cover the all the athletes. I much prefer this.

OTOH, baseball games shown here regularly get "fast forwarded" through multiple innings to protect the programming that follows. so that sucks. Plus, we are all dying of skin cancer (and kangaroos regularly break into my house and drink all my VB), but, y'know, we all have to live with tradeoffs.

If the tradeoffs include regular servings of grilled kangaroo (pre-marinated in VB, and washed down with shiraz), then death doesn't sound so bad.

#78 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22090 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle @ Feb 17 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

major brand name dog food is made out of ground up chicken feet, bones, feathers and blood mixed with sawdust, moldy flour and rancid pig fat. eating shit isn't all that different, really.

#79 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7581 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

At this point, even though I didn't get to watch it live, I'm probably going to skip the NBC coverage of the downhill. Because it's just going to be a tribute to the new rock group known as the "Throbbing Shinbones."

I loved the Olympics when I was a kid. I remember watching endlessly. Full competitions live. I've tried, but I can't get through the NBC stuff. Too many commercials, too little sports.

#80 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22090 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Chemistry Schmemistry @ Feb 17 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point, even though I didn't get to watch it live, I'm probably going to skip the NBC coverage of the downhill. Because it's just going to be a tribute to the new rock group known as the "Throbbing Shinbones."

I loved the Olympics when I was a kid. I remember watching endlessly. Full competitions live. I've tried, but I can't get through the NBC stuff. Too many commercials, too little sports.

Tonight's actually a pretty solid lineup though... Lindsey Vonn, Shaun White, Shanni Davis, Apolo Ohno

#81 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16470 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Feb 17 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not in the UK.

The BBC runs very, very few bits of programming outside the events and generally they are all directly related to the event at hand (i.e. rules and tactics) and not touchy-feely crap like the Canadian guy whose bro has CP or what's up in Vancouver. Last night we had an interview with some young British cross country skiiers, the skipper of the GB women's curling team (GB's best chance at a gold medal) and that's it.

The closest thing we have had to a human interest story was a piece on Robin Cousins, the 1980 Olympic champion who talked about how John Curry (the 1976 champion and also British) helped him and some highlights of his free program.

There is just far more emphasis on covering the events and far less bullshit. The reason there is so much bullshit on NBC is because they drastically overpaid for the rights and that kind of stuff should get someone canned. How Dick Ebersol has managed to weasel his way up the asshole of NBC I'll never know.

Edited by Spacemans Bong, 17 February 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#82 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (jon abbey @ Feb 17 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(minor caveat: My brother is a longtime NBC Sports employee and is in Vancouver helping cover the hockey. I was pulled in to help cover the Beijing games at the last second, with no background in TV, and spent 16-17 straight overnights in the aforementioned Rock Center, which was not only a very nice payday but somehow resulted in me winning an Emmy as part of the whole overall coverage. And, yes, most of the reason for this side note is that I just like saying I won an Emmy.)

Congratulations! Now hurry up and get it out of the building before I melt it.

#83 Chemistry Schmemistry

• 7581 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (86spike @ Feb 17 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tonight's actually a pretty solid lineup though... Lindsey Vonn, Shaun White, Shanni Davis, Apolo Ohno

The fact that you would list a lineup as such is an indictment of the system.

#84 goyangfc

• up to his ears in k-pop

• 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

Just checking-in now. It's been a busy day. Thanks for starting the thread, SoxScout.

The Dutch taking the lead now in the 1000 m. Wotherspoon just had his last race of his career.

#85 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20953 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

A blistering run by Korean Tae-bum Mo in the 1000 meters. The also-ran Hedrick, had the second fastest time so far, but couldn't close fast enough. Great race.

#86 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8312 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Jesus. Watching Shani Davis is qualitatively different than other skaters. He just MOVES.

#87 cannonball 1729

• 1947 posts

That was a hell of a back stretch by Davis.

#88 goyangfc

• 625 posts

Davis wins the gold sad.gif

#89 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Skiing boys. Skiing.

#90 hunter05

• 4786 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Oh my god

#91 hunter05

• 4786 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Glad she was able to get up and walk away from taht. Damn

#92 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11294 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (goyangfc @ Feb 17 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Davis wins the gold sad.gif

Congrats to Davis - just smooth as all hell moving through the corners. A MACHINE at 1000m. Mo did superbly, and I can't believe he even got Silver here, although this is really his distance.

2 of the 3 Korean women do not make it out of the heat in 500m short track - absolutely the weakest distance for the women squad.

All contenders easily move into semi's in men's 1000m short, including Ho-suk "Buckner" Lee, and Ohno.

#93 hunter05

• 4786 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

This shit is violent.

#94 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8312 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Julia Mancuso looks like she'd be hell of a lot of fun to party with.

#95 goyangfc

• 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (SeoulSoxFan @ Feb 17 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 of the 3 Korean women do not make it out of the heat in 500m short track - absolutely the weakest distance for the women squad.

We do suck at the 500 m. Men's 5000 m semis on right now.

#96 Maalox

• 49118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (OilCanShotTupac @ Feb 17 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's part of what I like about women's skiing. Any woman tough enough to go balls-out in the face of that kind of danger has to be a fun night.

#97 goyangfc

• 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Korea, Canada, China, and the U.S. in the 5000 m final as expected.

#98 goyangfc

• 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Wang defends her Olympic title in Women's 500 m. She cannot be touched.

#99 RIrooter09

• 1644 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (OilCanShotTupac @ Feb 17 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I concur

#100 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3689 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:08 AM

Davis did not beat the spread, Mo rode the Shimizu effect to a medal. and Hedrick threw down the gauntlet for Saturday night.

And the party at Holland House is second to none as always!