Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Day 5 (LIVE, NO SPOILER TAGS HERE, NBC STILL SUCKS) game thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 goyangfc

• up to his ears in k-pop

• 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

With the Swiss on top of the table with 3 gold medals and the Koreans winning their first gold medal ever in an event other than Short Track Speed Skating, we go into Day 5 of the Vancouver Games. So much happening today, including Men's Ice Hockey and Curling (if anyone cares).

For the schedule, check out (all times are in PST)
http://www.vancouver...hedule-results/

#2 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,070 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (goyangfc @ Feb 16 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the Swiss on top of the table with 3 gold medals and the Koreans winning their first gold medal ever in an event other than Short Track Speed Skating, we go into Day 5 of the Vancouver Games. So much happening today, including Men's Ice Hockey and Curling (if anyone cares).

For the schedule, check out (all times are in PST)
http://www.vancouver...hedule-results/

Why are you creating all these live threads? Just use one thread. That's all you need.

#3 goyangfc

• 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Fratboy @ Feb 16 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you creating all these live threads? Just use one thread. That's all you need.

I just think it makes sense to have one live thread per day, but I'm happy to stick with this thread for the rest of the Games if it doesn't get enough traffic today.

#4 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

I like having a new thread per day. It fits somehow. Counts off the days. (That's Maalox the poster talking, not Maalox the Dope. Someone is doping this forum and I will follow their rules.)

BTW can someone explain why some events are "Women's Curling" and some are "Ladies' Downhill"? And why are men just men? I would like to see "Gentlemen" and "Ladies." This is the one of the apices of civilization after all.

#5 goyangfc

• 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Feb 16 2010, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW can someone explain why some events are "Women's Curling" and some are "Ladies' Downhill"? And why are men just men? I would like to see "Gentlemen" and "Ladies." This is the one of the apices of civilization after all.

I was wondering the same thing. Women's Ice Hockey. Speed Skating - Ladies' 500 m Finals. Like...are some events just more womanly than ladylike for the chicks?

http://sonsofsamhorn...&...t&p=2813987

Edited by goyangfc, 16 February 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#6 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,188 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Jacobellis spins out in a curve of the semi, doesn't advance to the Final. No medal for Lindsey.

#7 cheekydave

• 2,383 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Love ya Frat, but I also like the fresh thread everyday.

NBC has screwed this up so badly, that while I would rather watch events LIVE I'm not sticking my head in the sand all day to wait to find results.

#8 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,188 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

Curious to see how NBC handles the women's snowboard cross tonight. I'm guessing they air her spinout at about 11:30 tonight.

#9 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,758 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (goyangfc @ Feb 16 2010, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the Swiss on top of the table with 3 gold medals and the Koreans winning their first gold medal ever in an event other than Short Track Speed Skating, we go into Day 5 of the Vancouver Games.

And yet another Korean who wasn't good enough to make their short track team wins gold - this time in the ladies 500m long track. Technically, I guess it's in "a sport other than short track", but short track can do a lot towards developing a talent pool - and more long track skaters should spend more time on the little track. It keeps you fresh, gives you another way to train - and it's a lot of fun.

In another key Olympic competition, the Frank J. Zamboni Co. floors competitor Olympia with a brutal knockout punch as the Zamboni brand resurfacing machine at the Calgary Oval heads across the Rockies at the request of Oval lead ice maker Mark Messer.

Zamboni floors Olympia

As noted in one article, it's not a total PR dream for the Zamboni company - so many people generically call the machines "Zamboni" that they need to make sure they don't take the heat for this one anyway.

#10 goyangfc

• 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Fred not Lynn @ Feb 16 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yet another Korean who wasn't good enough to make their short track team wins gold - this time in the ladies 500m long track. Technically, I guess it's in "a sport other than short track", but short track can do a lot towards developing a talent pool - and more long track skaters should spend more time on the little track. It keeps you fresh, gives you another way to train - and it's a lot of fun.

Our silver in Speed Skating - Men's 5000 m (he also did not make the short track team) is the biggest shock so far. In terms of not making the short track team, it's harder to make the Korean short track team than to win a medal in short track in the Olympics. Korea has won 3 gold medals already in the Games (this is a record pace for Korea, since there has only been one short track medal event so far). I'm already excited to watch the Speed Skating - Men's 1000 m and Short Track - Ladies' 500 m finals tomorrow night. Yet, I'm still worried about the over competitiveness between the Koreans themselves in short track.

Edited by goyangfc, 16 February 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#11 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3,758 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (goyangfc @ Feb 16 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our silver in Speed Skating - Men's 5000 m (he also did not make the short track team) is the biggest shock so far. In terms of not making the short track team, it's harder to make the Korean short track team than to win a medal in short track in the Olympics. Korea has won 3 gold medals already in the Games (this is a record pace for Korea, since there has only been one short track medal event so far). I'm already excited to watch the Speed Skating - Men's 1000 m and Short Track - Ladies' 500 m finals tomorrow night. Yet, I'm still worried about the over competitiveness between the Koreans themselves in short track.

I like the way the Korean long track skaters skate. They have a certain jive you only get with lots of volume training. Some other countries, especially their sprinters, do fewer reps at higher speeds. I don't know exactly how Mo trains, but if it's like any other Korean skating group - they do TONS of repititions. You just learn to skate that way...and get that certain jive.

And if they fuck up in training, they line up on the backstretch while their coach slaps their faces while smoking a cigarette - while skaters from the rest of the countries in the world watch.

#12 Buckner's Boots

• 1,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

If you haven't seen them yet, y'all will love the Norwegian mens' curling pants. Almost as great as faux denim.