Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The thread where people who are WATCHING NBC talk about things

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1258 replies to this topic

#1251 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5057 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

Followed by Alanis Morrissette and an assortment of other very good acts.
By the way it is too bad so many of you didn't get that they whole middle section was Canadians poking fun at themselves. Anyone who’s ever swapped Canuck jokes over pints would have been well-versed in the language they were speaking here. And if foreign audiences were left feeling like they missed out on one Olympic-sized inside joke — well, the attitude here seemed to be: too bad, eh? Oh and by the way, although not having the most overall medals, Canada did set a record for the most Gold Medals ever won at a Winter Olympics.

#1252 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

Em...are they going to send out someone with talent at any point?

#1253 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5057 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

Check the Toronto Star write up for a summary.
http://olympics.thes...t-games-closing

#1254 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (scotian1 @ Mar 1 2010, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the Toronto Star write up for a summary.
http://olympics.thes...t-games-closing

The best part was when they killed that guy and ate him.

#1255 JimD

• 4600 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

You know what I learned during these Olympics? That the Canadian people are really nice and very polite.

I know this because the Canadians themselves made sure to remind us 1,748 times during the opening and closing ceremonies.

#1256 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1919 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

It has to be repeated how bad that VANOC guy's French was. I actually screamed a little when he started talking. Quebec French is strange enough and nearly incomprehensible compared with the France version, but that was a total abomination. I was also pissed at NBC's continuing harassment of Joannie Rochette.

Laughed at the fake repair of the 4th arm at the beginning, though, and I liked the Marie-Mai song. The rest was just odd.

#1257 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 680 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (Maalox @ Feb 28 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Em...are they going to send out someone with talent at any point?

What about Neil Young? I thought he sounded great. Great line in Long May You Run, "We found things to do in stormy weather........"

Despite some of the early problems (especially the luge death), and NBC, I thought this was a great Olympics.

#1258 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3635 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (twoBshorty @ Mar 1 2010, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has to be repeated how bad that VANOC guy's French was. I actually screamed a little when he started talking. Quebec French is strange enough and nearly incomprehensible compared with the France version, but that was a total abomination.

He probably added extra French in response to criticism that there wasn't enough French in the Opening Ceremonies. The fact that the Games took place in a region which virtually zero French speaking people live really doesn't matter...

#1259 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6317 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Empyreal @ Feb 28 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That prompted me to look up which country had the longest anthem and it is Greece. But Greece had the courtesy not to do all 158 verses.

They should have had Nikolai Volkoff sing it.