Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Broken Laptop Screen: How do I connect my laptop to a normal Computer Monitor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 findguapo

• 452 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

I have a HP DV 2416 laptop with vista. The laptop screen is broken, and I imagine it is going to be pretty expensive to fix, but I am not concerned with that right now. I have some work on the laptop that I need to get off of it, so I am trying to hook up my laptop to a regular computer monitor. I can't see what I am doing on my laptop, so I don't know how to get it hooked up. I hooked up the cords, and turned on the laptop, but the monitor does not come on. I tried hitting the FN and F4 buttons at the same time, but that doesn't help. Any tips? Thanks

#2 kneemoe

• 1919 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (findguapo @ Feb 10 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a HP DV 2416 laptop with vista. The laptop screen is broken, and I imagine it is going to be pretty expensive to fix, but I am not concerned with that right now. I have some work on the laptop that I need to get off of it, so I am trying to hook up my laptop to a regular computer monitor. I can't see what I am doing on my laptop, so I don't know how to get it hooked up. I hooked up the cords, and turned on the laptop, but the monitor does not come on. I tried hitting the FN and F4 buttons at the same time, but that doesn't help. Any tips? Thanks

assuming f4 is your key to change displays, have you tried the key combo a couple of times? I've seen plenty of laptops that don't seem to do anything the first time you do it, but then change their display properties (add the other screen/lcd projector/whatever) the second time.
Basically, it sounds like you're doing the right thing, just might need to do it again.

Is the screen physically broken or just not working? If its your display adapter (internal video card) it may cause your aux video out to not function, causing it to act as you're describing.

#3 Rudi Fingers

• 1157 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (findguapo @ Feb 10 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a HP DV 2416 laptop with vista. The laptop screen is broken, and I imagine it is going to be pretty expensive to fix, but I am not concerned with that right now. I have some work on the laptop that I need to get off of it

If you need to pull data off that laptop, you can unscrew the bottom of your laptop, remove the hard drive, and place it into a USB external case like this $12 one - I own this exact model.

You can then plug the drive into any other computer and transfer your files. After you are all set, you can put the drive back and attempt to fix the computer, or, if you've decided to trash the laptop, you can just reformat that disk, and you can use that disk with your new enclosure as a drive for backups.

Edited by Rudi Fingers, 10 February 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#4 ean611

• 496 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'll echo kneemoe's question, what specifically is wrong with the screen?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a02b2b7bd

A new screen for that laptop is around $100. While that is not terribly expensive, it is not easy to install. I've done similar, and it takes a bit of skill, but can be done.

#5 findguapo

• 452 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the help. The screen itself works fine, the plastic casing around it broke and it the screen wouldn't hold up, I had to lean it against something to use the laptop, and now the wires are exposed around the screen. I figured out why the screen stopped working, it was because the laptop thought the lid was closed, because the way it broke, that part was closed. I just got a wrench and twisted it open, so now the screen is working.