Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
- - - - -

Winter Olympics Pool

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 jkempa

• 4,943 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

As a follow-up to the 2008 Summer Olympics pool, I've designed one for the Vancouver games. It works differently, and unfortunately, it's kind of complicated due to the concentration of Winter Olympic success in a few countries.

Here are the rules:
1) There are 15 menís categories and 13 womenís categories. Each category has an equal weight, even though there may be multiple events in some categories. For example, Speed Skating is a category, and then there are the different events within that category. All pairs events are on the womenís side.
2) Players select one superpower from USA, Canada, Austria, Russia, Norway and Germany. Players automatically have this country entered in all events, both menís and womenís.
3) Players must select only one country for each category. You may not re-use the superpower you selected, but you may use the other superpowers.
4) Players may only select a country one time per gender. So you will pick one superpower, 15 countries for men and 13 countries for women.
5) Points are awarded 5 points for gold, 3 points for silver, 1 point for bronze. Multiple medals can be won by the same country and receive multiple points. For example, if Germany sweeps the womenís luge, you get points for all three medals if youíve selected them.
6) Each category is equalized for the number of events in that category. Categories with only one event (like Ice Hockey) are worth 6x the medal value. Categories with two events are worth 3x per event, three events 2x per event, four events are worth 1.5x per event, etc. Therefore, you need to be certain which country you select for the single event categories, but you can also clean up with one country in a category as well when one country is dominant in a sport. The total number of possible points for each category, regardless of the number of events is 54.
7) Winner has the most total points.

If you are interested, please send an email to [email protected] I will send you the entry form, which is an Excel file. Fill in the 29 boxes per the rules above and send your entry to [email protected]

If you have any questions about the rules or how to play, please post them here. I haven't run a Winter Olympics pool before, so hopefully we can work out any confusion before things start.

Entries are due by the start of the Opening Ceremonies.

Edited by jkempa, 29 January 2010 - 02:30 PM.

#2 underhandtofirst

• stud who hits bombs

• 1,540 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to the contest. Time to start reading some of the threads and doing a little research. Already set the DVR series which starts on Feb 12.

#3 jkempa

• 4,943 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

Not much participation yet...I'm running the pool at work too. It's generally taking people about 30 minutes to fill out the entry. I think that the rules make it look a little more complicated than it is - which is to select the best overall country and the best country at each category of events without duplicating for men or women. It's not quite that simple, but that's the gist.

If anyone has any questions about the rules or needs an entry, please let me know as soon as possible. I will be on a plane most of the day on Friday.

#4 dwightinright

• PipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Quick question---I pick a superpower, say, Canada. Then, for Alpine skiing, even though there are 5 events, I only pick one country? I don't pick individual countries for Super G, then a different country for Downhill? I pick Austria and I get them in all Alpine events? And then, I can't pick Austria again for a men's event?

Edited by dwightinright, 11 February 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#5 jkempa

• 4,943 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (dwightinright @ Feb 11 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question---I pick a superpower, say, Canada. Then, for Alpine skiing, even though there are 5 events, I only pick one country? I don't pick individual countries for Super G, then a different country for Downhill? I pick Austria and I get them in all Alpine events? And then, I can't pick Austria again for a men's event?

That's exactly right. You get points for all of Austria's medals in Alpine Skiing as well as all of the medals for Canada.

#6 underhandtofirst

• stud who hits bombs

• 1,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Filling in the sheet was a nice refresher course for the Games.

#7 dwightinright

• PipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

How many entries? If it's 3 I'm guaranteed a medal.

#8 underhandtofirst

• stud who hits bombs

• 1,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (dwightinright @ Feb 12 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many entries? If it's 3 I'm guaranteed a medal.

Can we do multiple entries like a college basketball office pool? smile.gif

#9 dwightinright

• PipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

Is this updated on a daily or even every few days basis? Not a big deal, but just wondering.

We should have had bonus points for picking the country that has an athlete die.

#10 jkempa

• 4,943 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (dwightinright @ Feb 15 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this updated on a daily or even every few days basis? Not a big deal, but just wondering.

We should have had bonus points for picking the country that has an athlete die.

I'm out of town right now but will get some resuts hopefully sometime tomorrow.