Here are the rules:
1) There are 15 menís categories and 13 womenís categories. Each category has an equal weight, even though there may be multiple events in some categories. For example, Speed Skating is a category, and then there are the different events within that category. All pairs events are on the womenís side.
2) Players select one superpower from USA, Canada, Austria, Russia, Norway and Germany. Players automatically have this country entered in all events, both menís and womenís.
3) Players must select only one country for each category. You may not re-use the superpower you selected, but you may use the other superpowers.
4) Players may only select a country one time per gender. So you will pick one superpower, 15 countries for men and 13 countries for women.
5) Points are awarded 5 points for gold, 3 points for silver, 1 point for bronze. Multiple medals can be won by the same country and receive multiple points. For example, if Germany sweeps the womenís luge, you get points for all three medals if youíve selected them.
6) Each category is equalized for the number of events in that category. Categories with only one event (like Ice Hockey) are worth 6x the medal value. Categories with two events are worth 3x per event, three events 2x per event, four events are worth 1.5x per event, etc. Therefore, you need to be certain which country you select for the single event categories, but you can also clean up with one country in a category as well when one country is dominant in a sport. The total number of possible points for each category, regardless of the number of events is 54.
7) Winner has the most total points.
If you are interested, please send an email to email@example.com. I will send you the entry form, which is an Excel file. Fill in the 29 boxes per the rules above and send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the rules or how to play, please post them here. I haven't run a Winter Olympics pool before, so hopefully we can work out any confusion before things start.
Entries are due by the start of the Opening Ceremonies.
Edited by jkempa, 29 January 2010 - 02:30 PM.