Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Apple iPad

• Please log in to reply
851 replies to this topic

#551 Billy Jo Robidoux

• Shoveltowner/Jerkface

• 2076 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

I bought grand theft auto 3 yesterday for the iPad and love it. They did a great job converting it over and even the controls are great.

Do you have an iPad 2? I just went to the App Store to download it and there were some reviews saying it crashes a lot on the iPad 1.

#552 teddykgb

• 2966 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

I've been playing it on ipad2 and it's insane to be playign this game on an ipad in 2011. I mean, I remember that game kicking the shit out of a bunch of computers through the years. I must have tried to emulate it on Linux a few dozen times through the years and the thing runs buttery smooth on an ipad, it's unbelievable and it's fun.

Now we just get to hope they bring Vice City to the ipad next.

#553 Zedia

• 1039 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Do you have an iPad 2? I just went to the App Store to download it and there were some reviews saying it crashes a lot on the iPad 1.

I played for about an hour on an iPad1 with no problems. Although I'm disappointed you use arrows to steer, which is pretty damn impossible. I just assumed it would use the gyroscope for steering.

#554 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13636 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

75% of the time these things are fixed by restarting your iPad. The only app that I had crash (while not running a beta version of iOS) was fixed this way. Actually, iOOTP crashed a ton, but I'd imagine the developers wanted to have the game be faithful to the PC version.

#555 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

I do have an iPad,2. I like the arrow controls for driving. Only thing I don't like is I hit the drive by shooting buttons often by mistake.

Edited by NortheasternPJ, 28 December 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#556 czar

• fanboy

• 3535 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

75% of the time these things are fixed by restarting your iPad. The only app that I had crash (while not running a beta version of iOS) was fixed this way. Actually, iOOTP crashed a ton, but I'd imagine the developers wanted to have the game be faithful to the PC version.

I've had maybe 1 OOTP crash between my MacBook and iOS devices this year, FWIW.

#557 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13636 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

It's gotten better as of late, but I had a ~25% crash rate from January 1st- opening day at one point. The autosave at the beginning of the year was a life saver.

#558 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 6624 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

My parents gave me their old iPad for Christmas. I've taken all of their stuff off so far, but the only thing I can't figure out is how to switch the data plan to my credit card. They are using the AT&T $15 plan, and I wanted to up it as well. Any ideas on where I can switch this?

#559 CoRP

• 3713 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

This has potential. Apple TV Hacked to Run iOS Apps Full-Screen

#560 weeba

• 1287 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Lady friend and I have been messing around with ipad2 since Christmas. Any recommendations for the best way to narrow down which apps are worth our time? I have a few Apple gift cards and don't mind getting paid apps/games too. The sheer number of apps is overwhelming and there are nearly as many "best apps" lists on the internet. So far I got Angry Birds, Flipboard, and the ESPN one. Can't wait for TWC to allow HBO Go.

There are some good ones out there.

For TV, ABC, TNT, NBC, TBS and Adult Swim all have their own apps
Zite for news
AppShopper for apps made newly free
Amazon, Ebay apps are good
Mint

#561 Bongorific

• 4567 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

There are some good ones out there.

For TV, ABC, TNT, NBC, TBS and Adult Swim all have their own apps
Zite for news
AppShopper for apps made newly free
Amazon, Ebay apps are good
Mint

Thanks weeba. I'll give them a download.

#562 weeba

• 1287 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

NP. I've got my iPad at home and can post more then.

More off the top of my head
Kindle
Facebook
Hootsuite/Twitter app
Feedler for RSS
Yahoo Fantasy
NFL.com
CBS sportsline

#563 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6332 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

New to iPad. I've set up iCloud so that pictures are shared between the iPhone and the iPad. But it only seems to work for pictures that have been taken after we set up iCloud. Is there a way to have all photos I've previously taken on the iPhone shared with the iPad through iCloud?

#564 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2540 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

For everyone who just got an iPad: Staples is clearing out Targus Truss™ Leather Case & Stand for iPad®. Orig. $50, then when Targus released a newer case with the hole for the front-facing camera on the iPad2, the orig. ones went down to $30. If you can find the old packaging that says just iPad on it with UPC ending in -6708, it's $9.99. (it's in this week's ad, but was posted to deal forums back around Dec. 21. I had no trouble finding four of them yesterday)

In store only. Inventory checker

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 03 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#565 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Bluetooth keyboard case?

i won't use it all the time, but often for work I've got 2-3 client meetings a day and I'd rather just bring my iPad than my laptop. I do it a lot now, but if I got a keyboard it'd go to 90% of the time.

#566 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2540 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

In other tablet news, BB has lowered the price of ALL PlayBooks to $299, including the 64GB version.

I think RIM shareholders know just how Jets fans feel.......

#567 RSN Diaspora

• molests goats for comedy

• 4981 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Bluetooth keyboard case?

i won't use it all the time, but often for work I've got 2-3 client meetings a day and I'd rather just bring my iPad than my laptop. I do it a lot now, but if I got a keyboard it'd go to 90% of the time.

I use the Kensington bluetooth keyboard case. Works pretty well.

#568 Dan Murfman

• 2291 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

I am really enjoying my Ipad 2. but my wife bought me an Att 3g version. I would have preferred a Verizon. Is there any way I can convert it?

#569 ManhattanRedSox

• 308 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

<p>

<br />
I am really enjoying my Ipad 2. but my wife bought me an Att 3g version. I would have preferred a Verizon. Is there any way I can convert it?<br />

</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I don&#39;t think you can convert -- I recall reading something along the lines about there is something unique about the antenna or some other thing inside the iPad that makes in impossible to switch cellular providers.</p>
<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">&nbsp;</div>

#570 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

just got the Logitech / Zagg keyboard case. This is fantastic. The iPad is now going to do 99% of my non-technical work. For tech work I'll still need my iPad but for meetings / day to day use this is going to do the job. Only thing I need now is a cable for a projector in case i need to give a presentation in short order and I don't have my laptop with me.

#571 InstantKarmma

• Defender of Roadrunners

• 5683 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

just got the Logitech / Zagg keyboard case. This is fantastic. The iPad is now going to do 99% of my non-technical work. For tech work I'll still need my iPad but for meetings / day to day use this is going to do the job. Only thing I need now is a cable for a projector in case i need to give a presentation in short order and I don't have my laptop with me.

http://store.apple.c...oduct/MC552ZM/B

#572 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2016 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Just bought the Logitech case for my girlfriend's birthday yesterday. Granted I haven't tried any other bluetooth keyboard/case, but this particular one is really cool and easy to use.

So easy to use that I've now convinced myself to get an iPad. I don't recall because I wasn't paying any attention last year, but how much did the iPad's price drop when the iPad2 came out? I'd ideally like to get the 16gb wi-fi only version of the iPad 3 (if it's under 6 bills)- but how much will the corresponding iPad2 version drop in price? (currently at 500)

#573 Carbo Loading

• 441 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Just bought the Logitech case for my girlfriend's birthday yesterday. Granted I haven't tried any other bluetooth keyboard/case, but this particular one is really cool and easy to use.

So easy to use that I've now convinced myself to get an iPad. I don't recall because I wasn't paying any attention last year, but how much did the iPad's price drop when the iPad2 came out? I'd ideally like to get the 16gb wi-fi only version of the iPad 3 (if it's under 6 bills)- but how much will the corresponding iPad2 version drop in price? (currently at 500)

I bought an iPad 1 right when the iPad 2 came out and it was 30% less than the new iPad 2's.

#574 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

I love it so far. I'm traveling to Texas yesterday and today and have no need to lug around my 8lb Lenovo to do a few emails, word documents etc. It's made a world of difference, don't even have to take the thing out of the bag at the airport, dont have to lug it around, one less bag to bring etc. The keyboard seems big enough that i'm not missing keys very often.

Last year when the iPad 2 came out I was able to grab a 16gb WiFi only iPad refurb for $349. Made it an easy decision for him since he's not exactly a power user. I swear Apple refurbs are better than the original products. They come fully tested and always look brand new.

I'd imagine they're going to keep the price points on the iPad the same when the 3 comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the iPad 2 16gb down to $399 as a starter tablet. I'm not sure if they'd be concerned with the $399 iPad 2 eating into their margins and canabalize the $499 price point.

#575 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5267 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

At $399, I don't think it would cannabalize. At $300, it would.

However, I'm crossing my fingers that Apple considers bringing the iPad price down.

#576 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13636 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

If anything, they'd release it at the $399 price point with 8GB of memory, similar to what they do with the last generation of iPhones. People who need more space tend to be the higher-end users, anyhow, so they're more likely to want the increased speed and higher resolution that grace the third iPad.

Edited by mt8thsw9th, 15 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#577 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

If anything, they'd release it at the $399 price point with 8GB of memory, similar to what they do with the last generation of iPhones. People who need more space tend to be the higher-end users, anyhow, so they're more likely to want the increased speed and higher resolution that grace the third iPad.

The only reason I don't think that is because so many iPad apps are huge. FIFA is 1.1 gigs on the iPhone and 1.7 on the iPad version. GTA3 is 700 Megs. Real racing is 1.1 gb. 8gb could be gone with 4 games.

Never know though.

#578 Three10toLeft

• 751 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Does anyone have any experience selling through ebay?

I normally am able to move my used electronics through Craigslist fairly easily, but I listed my iPad 2 64GB wifi edition, plus the extended Apple Care Warranty that has yet to be activated, on CL for $575 and I didn't get any takers. Think the price is too high? I've thought about using ebay before, but the idea of having to ship it out seems like a PITA.

#579 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5267 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Just look at what others are selling them for on eBay. You'll get within $20 on the average every time. I would do it right now though and not wait at all.

#580 Three10toLeft

• 751 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Just look at what others are selling them for on eBay. You'll get within $20 on the average every time. I would do it right now though and not wait at all.

I actually reposted my ad and wound up getting someone to buy it for $550, about to leave and meet them right now. Not too bad, although I am selling it with some extras that I don't think will work with the iPad 3... If they do... ehh oh well. Now I'll start counting down the days until I can get the 3 in my hands.

#581 uncannymanny

• 1003 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

New to iPad. I've set up iCloud so that pictures are shared between the iPhone and the iPad. But it only seems to work for pictures that have been taken after we set up iCloud. Is there a way to have all photos I've previously taken on the iPhone shared with the iPad through iCloud?

On a Mac import them into iPhoto/Aperture. On Windows check your upload directory (look in the icloud app) and put them there.

Edited by uncannymanny, 22 February 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#582 Matthew M.

• 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

And the invites are out. 3-7-12.

http://www.theverge....ch-7th-official

The resolution on the iPad display on the invite definitely looks clearer.

#583 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3937 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

And the invites are out. 3-7-12.

http://www.theverge....ch-7th-official

The resolution on the iPad display on the invite definitely looks clearer.

In the pic, is it in landscape mode or is the home button gone?

#584 goyangfc

• up to his ears in k-pop

• 587 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

In the pic, is it in landscape mode or is the home button gone?

I would think that it is in landscape mode.

The pic also seems to confirm the rumors of the 2048x1536, 264ppi QXGA Retina Display.

#585 Three10toLeft

• 751 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5...-in-plain-sight

I would bet that the home button is gone.

At least I hope so. I think it would make the iPad that much more elegant. A simple, beautiful slab. Not to mention when I had my iPad 2, I barely used the button. I got in such a habit of the five finger pinch to go home, and the five finger swipe up to bring up the multitasking tray. Plus it seems like Apple has had a problem with iPhone home buttons becoming faulty after a while. It's understandable, with the introduction of Siri/Multitasking, the button was really only originally designed to bring you home. Now it handles three pretty big functions of the OS, it's time to move on.

It'll be interesting to see how they will solve the home button issue on the iPhone, because you can't really pinch with 5 fingers on the iPhone very easily, if at all.

#586 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15024 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5...-in-plain-sight

I would bet that the home button is gone.

At least I hope so.

I don't. The home button is occasionally a nice bailout option on occasion. I would hate to see it go.

#587 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4305 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Posted Image

#588 dirtynine

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

I could see - and would welcome - the physical home button being gone, but I would put a nickel on Apple somehow retaining a "hot zone" or touch area where the home button used to be - there's too much muscle memory (IMO) for many users to just ditch it all together.

#589 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4488 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I could see - and would welcome - the physical home button being gone, but I would put a nickel on Apple somehow retaining a "hot zone" or touch area where the home button used to be - there's too much muscle memory (IMO) for many users to just ditch it all together.

As a Samsung Galaxy S and SGS2 user, I can say definitively that soft-buttons are no replacement for hard ones, even on a tablet. The feeling of control (perceived or actual) a tactile button confers is rather great for users. In terms of user experience, Apple is as much about feeling as they are about utility.

#590 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Unless Apple has some "Insanely Great" idea for it being gone, then what is the advantage of it being gone? I'm pretty sure if the home button was gone and not replaced with something similar my father would throw his iPad out the window.

Soft buttons are just not the same, a 'touch button" on the bezel would be alright but what's the point. Its not like the home buttons are breaking off. Maybe adding gestures to it, is that overkill?

#591 Papelbon's Poutine

• 4305 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Dumb question, as I prepare to buy the new iPad in the next few weeks - if you buy an app for your iPhone, can you download it on your iPad as well? for instance, I just set up a Slingbox; the app is $30 so I'd rather not have to buy it twice. Obviously, one or the other, I'd go with the iPad for the viewing screen, but I certianly wouldn't mind it working on both for the $30.

Is this sort of thing app specific or more universal?

Thanks.

#592 Zedia

• 1039 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

App specific. There'll be a + in the purchase tab if it works for both. Looks like Slingbox requires a separate purchase for each device.

#593 teddykgb

• 2966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Slingbox definitely requires two purchases. I think it's kind of dirty on their part, given how much they charge for the app. In general, many developers do universals (ipad and iphone) and i don't have a fundamental problem paying twice when the ipad app is completely reworked for the extra real estate, but at $30 for the slingplayer, it's really quite a bit much to have another full 30 for the ipad app. Even an in app upgrade to make it ipad compatible for another 10 would have been better.

#594 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 5343 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

I hate the separate apps especially with games. I didn't mind when the iPad was new but the fact new apps can still be separate sucks. What are they going to do if the new iPad doubles the res? Three apps? iPhone, hd and hd+ versions?

#595 Gorton Fisherman

• 905 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

I don't believe there will be a third category of apps. Existing iPad (and universal) apps will just need to add "2x" graphics for the iPad Retina display. It should be analogous to what happened with iPhone apps when the iPhone 4 w/Retina display shipped (i.e. no new type of app, existing iPhone apps just got upgraded over time with the higher-res imagery).

#596 Bunt4aTriple

• 214 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'd like to get a sense from current iPad owners if they use 3G, and if so, if they feel like they could really live without it. I'm going to pick up the 3 when it comes out for my wife, but I'm not sure if I'll get just the wi-fi. If it turns out that the 3 has 4G, then buying a wifi only really mitigates one of the new bells doesn't it?

For the most part, she would just use it at home or work, but there are times when she's out and about when she could use data access for work. Is there any other option besides purchasing a month plan? Are there any pre-paid data allowances for the iPad?

#597 sonsoftrotnixon

• 586 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'd like to get a sense from current iPad owners if they use 3G, and if so, if they feel like they could really live without it. I'm going to pick up the 3 when it comes out for my wife, but I'm not sure if I'll get just the wi-fi. If it turns out that the 3 has 4G, then buying a wifi only really mitigates one of the new bells doesn't it?

For the most part, she would just use it at home or work, but there are times when she's out and about when she could use data access for work. Is there any other option besides purchasing a month plan? Are there any pre-paid data allowances for the iPad?

I use mine only sparingly, but I don't travel much. If you're a traveler it would have huge advantages at airports, hotels, etc. For the $25 a month for ATT's data plan it's worth it to have the "insurance" of having constant access in my opinion.

#598 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5267 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

If you have a droid or an iPhone, you could always figure out a way to tether to your iPad. I'm not an expert on tethering, but the idea of paying $100 a month for your smart phone + $30 a month for your tablet is just a bit much. I will never have my iPad where I don't have my iPhone so if internet access is essential, I will be able to get on with my phone.

#599 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13636 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

You are still going to pay for a tethering plan if you are using your phone as a hotspot, and that is (for example) $100 plus $30 for mobile hotspot on Verizon. If I'm only using the iPad to tether, I'd much rather it be a plug and play direct connection, rather than something that is going to run down your phone's battery while you are trying to surf on the iPad.

#600 czar

• fanboy

• 3535 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

You are still going to pay for a tethering plan if you are using your phone as a hotspot, and that is (for example) $100 plus $30 for mobile hotspot on Verizon. If I'm only using the iPad to tether, I'd much rather it be a plug and play direct connection, rather than something that is going to run down your phone's battery while you are trying to surf on the iPad.

In general, you should still be able to jailbreak and tether for free, especially if you are on a tiered plan.

Providers have gotten more aggressive about this, but everyone I know (myself included) have managed to "slip under the radar" to this point.

Also, as someone above pointed out- I can't remember a scenario where I didn't have both iPhone and iPad so 3G seems like overkill. I very, very rarely even tether my iPad (only at airports w/o free Wifi) since I can't think of things my iPhone can't do in a pinch (when I'm outside wifi range)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)